or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple debuts new iPad Air ad highlighting real users' stories

Apple debuts new iPad Air ad highlighting real users' stories

post #1 of 135
Expanding upon the "Life on iPad" video released at the launch of iPad Air, Apple has created a second spot profiling real use cases of its tablets, ranging from scientific exploration to medicine, music, filmmaking and sports.

The new ad, titled "Your Verse," features a voiceover by Robin Williams reciting a monologue from the movie "Dead Poets Society." The passage highlights "poetry, beauty, romance, love; the are what we stay alive for" and the "powerful play" of life of which Walt Whitman wrote "you may contribute a verse."

Accompanying the words, which conclude with "what will your verse be?" the video depicts a wide variety of human pursuits that make use of an iPad Air.

iCloud Atlas

The "Your Verse" ad starts with a reference to the giant windmills in the previous "Life on iPad," first shown last October.

It then rapidly shifts to scenes depicting storm chasing climatologists, then mountain explorers, then filmmakers in Bollywood, then the remote capture of footage of a waterfall, then an exploration of Gaudi's La Sagrada Fam?lia cathedral, then a performer applying makeup, then boys exploring the woods, then the LA Kings analyzing their performance on an iPad, then a marching band practicing choreography, then musicians playing live.

As the message of the words begins to sink in, the stories of all these brief clips unfold as use cases for iPad.

A man tapping out a screenplay on an iPad is revealed to be a parking lot attendant moonlighting as a storyteller in his spare time. The storm chasers were tracking the storm via an app. The boys in the forest are identifying a praying mantis. A father is using an iPad app to help his daughter build an interactive Mindstorms robot. The cathedral was inspiration for a woman's art.

Underwater, a marine biologist is measuring a reef using an iPad within a waterproof iDive housing. The performer is a traditional Japanese Butoh dancer practicing in front of a assistant filming his movements on, of course, an iPad.

What will your verse be?

"We're humbled and inspired by what people do with iPad. So we set out to capture some of their stories. What will your verse be?," Apple states on its YouTube page for the ad. The comment links to Apple's own "Your Verse" page detailing some of the stories captured in the spot.

The Bollywood filmmaker is Feroz Khan of Agra, India. The live performance is Yao, a rock band in Beijing, China, tapping out beats via iPad. A classroom in Humla, Nepal is using "School in a Box," a solar powered education toolkit for iPad designed to teach children living in places that lack electricity.

The waterfall is being filmed by Josh Apter, on location in Iguazu Falls, Argentina using custom camera gear built around iPad. The LA Kings are using the ThunderCloud iBench app to analyze their hockey players' moves and the team's overall game strategy.

As John Paczkowski observed for the new re/code, "it's hard to look at all these various iPad use cases and not conclude that the iPad and other devices like it are having a transformative effect on our culture. Certainly, that's the argument Apple is making here."

No contrived nonsense about phony users

The new ad and web page depict real users, not imagined ones. That's relatively easy for Apple to do because iPad and its iOS platform is actually being used around the world by tens of millions of real people to do real tasks.

In stark contrast, Google's Nexus 7 ad portrays a boy asking the search giant what "glossophobia" is, as if a boy who knew that word would need to request its definition.

A second Nexus 7 ad imagines a worker on a ship "far from home" who rushes to clean up after his shift so he can look presentable to his family while performing a high resolution and highly emotional video call that would simply be impossible to connect from a ship on the high seas, where the sort of high speed Internet that Google's engineers (and apparently their advertising directors) take for granted doesn't exist.

Google has to invent users because it's not actually selling its Nexus tablets to a broad audience; the tablet's actual manufacturer, Asus, is struggling to sell tablets as desperately as it's struggling with hardware and software bugs. That makes Google's portrayal of phony use cases for its tablets is as phony as Asus' benchmark doping.

Up is down

The phoniness of Google's contrived ads (something that's certainly not in short supply in the tech industry) was also reflected in the condescending reaction to Apple's latest spot authored by Darrell Etherington for TechCrunch, who wrote, "it's no secret that Apple wants to push the creative aspect of its mobile devices, which are still seen largely as consumption gadgets."

He also made reference to "the perceived superiority of Apple tablets," as if Apple's unit sales and usage stats are both contrived fictions the company is seeking to promote in its ads, rather than being grounded in fact.

The very idea that Apple needs to "push the the creative aspect of its mobile devices" is silly; but the contradictory reason cited (that the public sees iPad as a "consumption gadget") is as laughable as the notion that iPads are merely a "consumption device," a ridiculous meme invented and repeated by Apple's critics to suggest that the tablet failures of the company's competitors are somehow more serious for work.

The tone deaf, completely clueless knee-jerk reaction scribbled out by Etherington originally included an observation that even the words recited in Apple's spot were "a terrible poem by the way," unaware that its source was Walt Whitman, one of America's most influential poets.
post #2 of 135
Stunning ad. And a great article on itself, even if it would've been limited to just the iPad. Two thumbs, one for each 'company'. (and to accompany each other)
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #3 of 135
Yes. Nice ad.
But I can't help thinking that the marketing suits producing these technology ads (and not just Apple's) are getting more and more overblown in their pretentious claims...

They're becoming almost as satire-friendly as perfume ads!
post #4 of 135

Kinda lays bare that traditional troll meme that only stupid, technologically ignorant people buy Apple products.

post #5 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by st88 View Post

Marketing is Apple's most important weapon to success.  It would appear they're still doing a good job of it, a strong emphasis on the "Apple lifestyle".  The ability to add emotion and depth to something as simple as a tablet.

Strongly disagree here. Marketing isn’t enough if your products suck. Apple’s most important weapon to success is the quality, usability, beauty, superiority of their products. To say marketing is the most important is to say the products are equivalent to the competition and need the marketing to succeed. It’s also another old troll meme, that Apple’s success is solely due to it’s marketing, that other products are better but the marketing dupes the consumer into buying Apple instead.  Apple is good at both solid products and inspired marketing.

But then I see you touting Windows products in most of your posts so...

post #6 of 135
I saw this ad during the 49er/Panther game. It was breathtaking and awesome to watch. Make me proud to be an iPad owner and meet me wish I had an iPad air too.

Freaking Apple! They just bowl me over with their ads and I'm a sucker for their products.
post #7 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I saw this ad during the 49er/Panther game. It was breathtaking and awesome to watch. Make me proud to be an iPad owner and meet me wish I had an iPad air too.

Freaking Apple! They just bowl me over with their ads and I'm a sucker for their products.

I never felt proud for owning something.

I felt proud for using something I own in good, creative way that others admired, but not for owning something that other people use in creative way.
post #8 of 135
Quote:

I saw this ad during the 49er/Panther game. It was breathtaking and awesome to watch. Make me proud to be an iPad owner "

I couldn't have said this better. I love stuff like this.

post #9 of 135
Absolutely visually stunning. Great job.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #10 of 135
Quote:

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but the iPad's capabilities are extremely limited when compared to an OS X or x86 Windows device (such as the ASUS T100 featured in the "more serious" link).  BTW, despite the shortages in North America and other regions, the T100 shipped 500,000 worldwide in Q4 of 2013 and according to ASUS is set for another 2 million in 2014 when production demand can be met.

I'd really like to read how Josh Apter is using iPad Air. I can see that his MEWShop is Apple Authorised Training Centre, among other products/brands, so it makes sense that he is experimenting with device, in terms of getting more experience and finding the limits. But I'd like to see if this setup is just an experiment for him or his permanent kit, and if permanent, how is he really using it and how is it benefiting him, as opposed to having MBA or even MBP. Or, from using AVID/Adobe products (which MEWShop is also authorised training centre for) on something like Surface Pro.
post #11 of 135

No power in the 'verse can stop us.

post #12 of 135
Shouldn't the Nexus 7 boy be asking Google, "What's glassophobia"?
Edited by Neil Anderson - 1/12/14 at 5:18pm
post #13 of 135

"it's no secret that Apple wants to push the creative aspect of its mobile devices, which are still seen largely as consumption gadgets."

...gadgets?

post #14 of 135

How am I supposed to decide to buy one of these new iPads if I don't see break dancers and that innovative clicking keyboard?

post #15 of 135
Quote:

Don't get me wrong or put words in my mouth, marketing isn't Apple's only key to success, but to downplay its importance is ignorance.  Apple has always had a strong focus on lifestyle.

I don't think he was. You wrote "Marketing is Apple's most important weapon to success" which I took as that they would have a hard time being successful if they didn't have great marketing.

I see this differently: the products sell themselves. No need for marketing. Their products are that good.
post #16 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Anderson View Post

Shouldn't the Nexus 7 boy be asking Google, "What's glassophobia?"?

Lol.

Also, I don't think Google asks themselves anything, except for 'where did we go wrong?' Sure they ask patent cases to be thrown out of court, they ask the EU to go lightly on them whenever they get caught doing something illegal and they ask for acquittal when the infringe on copyright.

I think they should asks themselves a lot of questions, but I guess it's just not in their veins.
post #17 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFaced View Post

How am I supposed to decide to buy one of these new iPads if I don't see break dancers and that innovative clicking keyboard?

Now that's funny! :)

post #18 of 135
This is why tech crunch is such a complete joke.
post #19 of 135
Quote:

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but the iPad's capabilities are extremely limited when compared to an OS X or x86 Windows device (such as the ASUS T100 featured in the "more serious" link).  BTW, despite the shortages in North America and other regions, the T100 shipped 500,000 worldwide in Q4 of 2013 and according to ASUS is set for another 2 million in 2014 when production demand can be met.

Please explain the extremely limited capabilities of iPad Air versus OS X or "x86 Windows" device.

The capabilities are largely restricted by the available software. A jailbroken iPad Air is, therefore, only restricted by available processing power and memory as well as the hardware ports (for which many types of adapters are available). The variety and quantity of software available for iOS is virtually unfathomable and offers significant functionality not available to OS X or "x86 Windows" natively.
Edited by MacBook Pro - 1/12/14 at 5:38pm
post #20 of 135
Quote:

...But you ARE beating a dead horse. The uses show are actual uses, not contrived.

To a great extent the limitations of the iPad are mostly in your head and in like thinkers. What the ad shows is that clearly people eagerly use the iPad for things even Apple didn't expect. If you think, as you stated, "he iPad's capabilities are extremely limited," then the problem lies within your own mind and not that of the millions of iPad users who aren't as certain of limitations as you appear to be.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #21 of 135
Do these real users provide real stories of Mobile Safari on iPad Air crashing multiple times an hour? Including (currently) twice for me while viewing and editing this page? This is a complete joke and Apple need to realise that this is a problem on the scale of MobileMe or even bigger. Apple should concentrate on stability but they just don't seem to care. I'm starting to think they have lost the plot. And I'm a huge fan... or at least I was.
post #22 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I felt proud for using something I own in good, creative way that others admired, but not for owning something that other people use in creative way.

Sure... go ahead and piss on the other guy's enthusiasm. The world needs less of your ilk.
post #23 of 135
Quote:

Cars are more limited compared to pick up trucks.
post #24 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Strongly disagree here. Marketing isn’t enough if your products suck. Apple’s most important weapon to success is the quality, usability, beauty, superiority of their products. To say marketing is the most important is to say the products are equivalent to the competition and need the marketing to succeed. It’s also another old troll meme, that Apple’s success is solely due to it’s marketing, that other products are better but the marketing dupes the consumer into buying Apple instead.  Apple is good at both solid products and inspired marketing.

But then I see you touting Windows products in most of your posts so...

A key element of marketing is the product concept which is based on creating value for customers.
post #25 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinthal View Post

Do these real users provide real stories of Mobile Safari on iPad Air crashing multiple times an hour? Including (currently) twice for me while viewing and editing this page? This is a complete joke and Apple need to realise that this is a problem on the scale of MobileMe or even bigger. Apple should concentrate on stability but they just don't seem to care. I'm starting to think they have lost the plot. And I'm a huge fan... or at least I was.

Apparently, tens of millions of users do not have significant issues. Apple Insider seems to have serious issues with their website. The website crashes for me on virtually every platform on occasion.
post #26 of 135
Quote:

There are still plenty of things an iPad cannot do that for an OS X or Windows device can.  The software and hardware support or performance does not exist in the iPad's SoC or the current version of iOS.  The uses shown in the video does not prove that an iPad can match the capabilities of an OS X or Windows device.  

Please provide plenty of examples.
post #27 of 135
Quote:

Useless analogy.  We're taking about computer hardware and their operating systems.

What does that have to do with anything. Some people need to tow 5000 lbs or do heavy lifting so they'll buy a truck. Others just need to get from point A to point B so they'll just get a car.
post #28 of 135
Quote:

Yeah, whatever dude.

I'm not going to list all the different ways I use my iPad in "creative ways" or for my business. It's not any of your business how I use it. Just take the statement for what it is bro and let it go.
post #29 of 135
I'm so pissed. I had submitted an idea for this "real life example" ad campaign. It's all about how I use my iPad to stalk women. Last time was when I totally picked up this girl on a ski lift and later showed her how I had made collages of her photos and created a virtual "wall" of her photos with little pins to hold them up. True story.
post #30 of 135
Quote:

I saw this ad during the 49er/Panther game. It was breathtaking and awesome to watch.

Yeah. The 49ers really shut them down in the second half.
post #31 of 135
Quote:

Having been a slave to the Microsoft ecosystem for 20 years, personally I'm glad to be free of it. That makes all the difference in my iPad, my iPhone, my MacBook Pro, and my iMac all of which I use in my personal creative life and for my business.
post #32 of 135
Quote:
Yeah. The 49ers really shut them down in the second half.

Yeah that too!1cool.gif

We had the double whammy of the Apple commercial and the game! Win-win for the fans both!
post #33 of 135
I always find it amusing when people claim Apple success is due to marketing. I was watching NFL football this afternoon and Windows branding was EVERYWHERE. The pre-game commentators all had Surface tablets next to them. I think I saw Apple's iPad commercial once during the entire 49ers game. Samsung commercials ran multiple times. Microsoft Windows branding all over the Fox set and football field. And yet Apple's supposedly only popular because of marketing. 1rolleyes.gif
post #34 of 135
THE Ohio State Marching Band!!!

Award winning halftime shows this season, and they use a custom app to develop their shows!

G
post #35 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Apparently, tens of millions of users do not have significant issues.

How do you know that tens of millions of users do not have significant issues with Mobile Safari on iPad Air? Where do you get that information from?

Why would my iPad Air be any different than the others? Mobile Safari crashes regularly despite no matter what website I am on. (Ooops, it just crashed while editing this page! Lost half my inputted text!!) (Ooops again, it just crashed a second time but thankfully lost no text this time. Now resorting to editing this reply in Notes; will cut and paste this text into the Apple webform after I finish.)

Mobile Safari on iPad Air will crash even if I have no other apps open at the time, or even if I have just one tab open.

Speaking of tabs, just as big a problem as Safari crashes for me is that far too often tabs are forced to reload if you go to another tab and then return. This can happen if there are only two tabs open at a time. Can't Apple manage its allocated RAM well enough to stop this from happening? A web page doesn't take that much memory unless it has *lots* of scripting in it. It make editing something in a page risky if you have to look up something in another tab while doing so...
post #36 of 135
I never felt proud for owning something. I felt proud for using something I own in good, creative way that others admired, but not for owning something that other people use in creative way.

Yeah, no one has ever been inspired by anyone else.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #37 of 135
Quote:

Don't get me wrong or put words in my mouth, marketing isn't Apple's only key to success, but to downplay its importance is ignorance.  Apple has always had a strong focus on lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't think he was. You wrote "Marketing is Apple's most important weapon to success" which I took as that they would have a hard time being successful if they didn't have great marketing.

I see this differently: the products sell themselves. No need for marketing. Their products are that good.

Great marketing won't save a bad product, but poor or mediocre marketing can damage a mediocre product. Look at what Microsoft's break dancing ads to the Surface tablet... it didn't help a bit and turned the product into a parody of the ad. Apple's ads are as outstanding as the product which makes Apple and its products considered "premium." People will pay extra for that kind of a product. It's not enough to have the ad sell a product "that sells itself' the ad, in Apple's case, the ads needs to maintain that image of a premium product in the public's mind.

In the late 60's Volkswagon had a great marketing campaign that marketed a cheap small car as being a good buy. "Think Small" sold a lot of cars to people that could afford to buy a better car. Once Volkswagon lost their niche identity via advertising, they have had to compete as a commodity automobile with all other small cars.

Yet, all the advertising in the world has not gotten Pepsi ahead of Coke, even though Pepsi had the most memorable jingle in business from 1936 through late 1950s, "Pepsi Cola hits the spot" has not been used in over 60 years and people that were born after it stopped being used, know the jingle or parts of it.
post #38 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinthal View Post

How do you know that tens of millions of users do not have significant issues with Mobile Safari on iPad Air? Where do you get that information from?

Why would my iPad Air be any different than the others? Mobile Safari crashes regularly despite no matter what website I am on. (Ooops, it just crashed while editing this page! Lost half my inputted text!!) (Ooops again, it just crashed a second time but thankfully lost no text this time. Now resorting to editing this reply in Notes; will cut and paste this text into the Apple webform after I finish.)

Mobile Safari on iPad Air will crash even if I have no other apps open at the time, or even if I have just one tab open.

Speaking of tabs, just as big a problem as Safari crashes for me is that far too often tabs are forced to reload if you go to another tab and then return. This can happen if there are only two tabs open at a time. Can't Apple manage its allocated RAM well enough to stop this from happening? A web page doesn't take that much memory unless it has *lots* of scripting in it. It make editing something in a page risky if you have to look up something in another tab while doing so...
post #39 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Cars are more limited compared to pick up trucks.

Yet infinitely less limited than carts drawn by beaten dead horses.
post #40 of 135

Let's face it: iPads are pretty damn powerful.  They do what PCs couldn't do very well 10 years ago.  They can do what a lot of what PCs can do today.

Total theory and projection here:

Apple is simply priming everyone for the A7/A8-based laptop that runs OSX.  The A8 will emulate OSX apps (albeit, more slowly than a real Intel chip, like 680x0 on PPC and PPC on Intel. This is how Apple will avoid looking like MS's RT and Pro tablets that don't run each others apps.  The ARM-laptop could likely run simpler Intel apps fine, but choke on real CPU intensive programs that people really use PCs for (like video rendering, floating-point math, simulation, anything that takes our current Macs hours to run).  Native ARM iApps will be as fast as can be.  It will be the most powerful iPad ever yet be an OSX laptop.  It might actually have a file system.

Universal apps won't be PPC and Intel.  They'll be Intel and ARM.  They might get a new name.  The ARM-based laptops will need more storage for the overhead of apps.   That is until the inevitable...

Totally crazy idea:

As the years go on, ARM-based apple devices will be running OSX and all Macs will be iOS devices except the Mac Pro (and all the totally PRO Macintoshes).  They will merge years after that as Intel loses more and more CPU market share to ARM-devices.  Intel will be like Microsoft is today: irrelevant to consumers as consumers don't need a PC to be an all-purpose device.  The iPad-devices will practically be all-purpose devices, just pick your form factor: tablet or laptop.

I like thinking beyond todays paradigms.  I think Apple is way ahead of the game.  We just haven't seen it yet.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple debuts new iPad Air ad highlighting real users' stories