or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple debuts new iPad Air ad highlighting real users' stories

Apple debuts new iPad Air ad highlighting real users' stories - Page 2

post #41 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by st88 View Post

There are still plenty of things an iPad cannot do that for an OS X or Windows device can.  The software and hardware support or performance does not exist in the iPad's SoC or the current version of iOS.  The uses shown in the video does not prove that an iPad can match the capabilities of an OS X or Windows device.  

The ad didn't set out to prove that an iPad can match the capabilities of an OS X or Windows device. What it did show was that an iPad can get things done through its portability that would be awkward at best, or impossible at worst if one were to use a different device.
Quote:

Useless analogy.  We're taking about computer hardware and their operating systems.
Contraire, mon père. It was a very apt analogy. Even Steve Jobs used it to compare computer hardware and their operating systems.
post #42 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinthal View Post

Do these real users provide real stories of Mobile Safari on iPad Air crashing multiple times an hour? Including (currently) twice for me while viewing and editing this page? This is a complete joke and Apple need to realise that this is a problem on the scale of MobileMe or even bigger. Apple should concentrate on stability but they just don't seem to care. I'm starting to think they have lost the plot. And I'm a huge fan... or at least I was.

The problem seems to be you and a very minute sector. There are far more people NOT complaining of this issue than those who are complaining of this issue. Safari for me is pretty rock steady actually.

post #43 of 135
Quote:

There are still plenty of things an iPad cannot do that for an OS X or Windows device can.  The software and hardware support or performance does not exist in the iPad's SoC or the current version of iOS.  The uses shown in the video does not prove that an iPad can match the capabilities of an OS X or Windows device.  

Such as?

post #44 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Let's face it: iPads are pretty damn powerful.  They do what PCs couldn't do very well 10 years ago.  They can do what a lot of what PCs can do today.

Total theory and projection here:

< snip >

I like thinking beyond todays paradigms.  I think Apple is way ahead of the game.  We just haven't seen it yet.

An interesting idea, and not improbable. Apple is very good at not telegraphing where they are headed, and that keeps a lot of Koreans up all night with worry.
post #45 of 135
Quote:

Useless analogy.  We're taking about computer hardware and their operating systems.

Apparently analogy means something else in your dictionary. Your post is actually actually in context of the USE of the hardware and operating systems so the analogy is valid.

post #46 of 135
Quote:

Do these real users provide real stories of Mobile Safari on iPad Air crashing multiple times an hour? Including (currently) twice for me while viewing and editing this page? This is a complete joke and Apple need to realise that this is a problem on the scale of MobileMe or even bigger. Apple should concentrate on stability but they just don't seem to care. I'm starting to think they have lost the plot. And I'm a huge fan... or at least I was.

Quote:

Why would my iPad Air be any different than the others? Mobile Safari crashes regularly despite no matter what website I am on. (Ooops, it just crashed while editing this page! Lost half my inputted text!!) (Ooops again, it just crashed a second time but thankfully lost no text this time. Now resorting to editing this reply in Notes; will cut and paste this text into the Apple webform after I finish.)

Mobile Safari on iPad Air will crash even if I have no other apps open at the time, or even if I have just one tab open.

Speaking of tabs, just as big a problem as Safari crashes for me is that far too often tabs are forced to reload if you go to another tab and then return. This can happen if there are only two tabs open at a time. Can't Apple manage its allocated RAM well enough to stop this from happening? A web page doesn't take that much memory unless it has *lots* of scripting in it. It make editing something in a page risky if you have to look up something in another tab while doing so...

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but it's very possible that God just doesn't like you. Imagine if you'd have bought a Surface tablet... it may have gone up in smoke on you in the middle of a headspin on the corporate conference table... this way He only smites you when you are using Safari to read and post in AI instead of the Apple Insider app provided free on the app store. In the book of Job it is pointed out how He hates stupid ignorant klutzes, and calls them Bozos.
post #47 of 135
User error? I'd like to see you explain that one... if you can.
post #48 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

Such as?

He/she/it is just the latest Luddite. Time to Block and move on.
post #49 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but it's very possible that God just doesn't like you. Imagine if you'd have bought a Surface tablet... it may have gone up in smoke on you in the middle of a headspin on the corporate conference table... this way He only smites you when you are using Safari to read and post in AI instead of the Apple Insider app provided free on the app store. In the book of Job it is pointed out how He hates stupid ignorant klutzes, and calls them Bozos.

What a pointless response. Please provide something constructive and don't bring imaginary beings into this.
post #50 of 135
Quote:

Did you even read the context of my original post?  This has nothing to do with someone's needs, but what a device can actually do.

I did. You stated the iPad is limited compared to OS X and windows devices. Cars are also limited compared to trucks. Many users don't need the raw power of OS X / windows devices (trucks) and can rely on iPad (cars) only and be perfectly fine doing the things they need to do.

The iPad wasnt meant to be a PC replacement for power users.
post #51 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

The problem seems to be you and a very minute sector. There are far more people NOT complaining of this issue than those who are complaining of this issue. Safari for me is pretty rock steady actually.

Again we have someone who seems to know how many people are affected by these Mobile Safari crashes or not. I doubt very much if you can provide any data on this.

Even if there aren't any people complaining about this (and again, how would you know if they are or not?) perhaps they are just suffering in silence.

As for yourself, are you using the iPad Air? And if you are, how is yours any different than mine? So instead of discounting people's legitimate issues with an Apple product, how about addressing the issue. Even staying silent on the matter would be better than the response you've given here.
post #52 of 135
Quote:

So instead of discounting people's legitimate issues with an Apple product, how about addressing the issue. Even staying silent on the matter would be better than the response you've given here.

Safari on IOS 7.1 beta 3 hasn't crashed much at all on my dev Air. Don't derail the thread; Safari isn't iOS.
post #53 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Safari on IOS 7.1 beta 3 hasn't crashed much at all on my dev Air. Don't derail the thread; Safari isn't iOS.

Well, thank you, that's good to know. Great to see that someone acknowledges and wishes to address legitimate issues on this forum.
post #54 of 135
Quote:

Marketing is Apple's most important weapon to success.  It would appear they're still doing a good job of it, a strong emphasis on the "Apple lifestyle".  The ability to add emotion and depth to something as simple as a tablet.

I'd say the most weapon in their arsenal are excellent products.

Quote:

If the analogy is useless then explain why an iPhone must be able to everything that is in a Mac Pro. Or perhaps go the other way and explain why the Mac Pro must do everything that the iPhone can do. Each has their place like a car and a truck, like an articulated lorry and a motorcycle, like a mountain bike and a touring bicycle, or like any number of ways people can move themselves and things from point A to point B.

Quote:

Well, thank you, that's good to know. Great to see that someone acknowledges and wishes to address legitimate issues on this forum.

Why must your self proclaimed "legitimate issue" be addressed on a completely unrelated thread? There are plenty of threads about issues with HW and SW, and you could have made your own saying "Why does Apple hate me" or whatever, but you choose to jack this new thread that is only a few hours old. BTW, if you really have issues a much better place is http://hintsforums.macworld.com which is geared toward resolving issues people have, not jacking threads on unrelated topics.
Edited by SolipsismX - 1/12/14 at 7:56pm

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #55 of 135
Quote:

Don't get me wrong or put words in my mouth, marketing isn't Apple's only key to success, but to downplay its importance is ignorance.  Apple has always had a strong focus on lifestyle.

Making good products is their most important weapon and that is where you got it 100% wrong.
post #56 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why must your self proclaimed "legitimate issue" be addressed on a completely unrelated thread? There are plenty of threads about issues with HW and SW, and you could have made your own saying "Why does Apple hate me" or whatever, but you choose to jack this new thread that is only a few hours old. BTW, if you really have issues a much better place is http://hintsforums.macworld.com which is geared toward resolving issues people have, not jacking threads on unrelated topics.

I proclaimed it a legitimate issue because it is a legitimate issue: I'm not making it up. And, if you read the posts again I never said Apple (or God, like another poster put it) hates me. That's just ridiculous. Also, it's hardly unrelated to the topic. I'm talking about a real iPad Air issue.

So at least you put in something constructive at the end. Thanks, I'll try that MacWorld forum.
post #57 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Making good products is their most important weapon and that is where you got it 100% wrong.

It's funny how now, long after the Mac was the only major product Apple sold and Apple Stores first appeared, some people still want to say that Apple's success is based on marketing.

Quote:

I proclaimed it a legitimate issue because it is a legitimate issue: I'm not making it up. And, if you read the posts again I never said Apple (or God, like another poster put it) hates me. That's just ridiculous. Also, it's hardly unrelated to the topic. I'm talking about a real iPad Air issue.

So at least you put in something constructive at the end. Thanks, I'll try that MacWorld forum.

Where are your constructive comments in this thread about the new iPad Air commercial?

post #58 of 135
Quote:

Did you even read the context of my original post?  This has nothing to do with someone's needs, but what a device can actually do.

Are you going to carry a desktop up a mountain?
post #59 of 135
Quote:

Where are your constructive comments in this thread about the new iPad Air commercial?

See my original post. These issues I (and presumably every other iPad Air owner, unless mine is in some way special) am experiencing are part of a "real user's story" — i.e. mine. How is that not constructive? If these issues can be identified and then addressed isn't that constructive?

Unless you are confusing saying something constructive with saying something that is only positive??
post #60 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Are you going to carry a desktop up a mountain?

With the new Mac Pro you can 1biggrin.gif, but I'd stick with the iPad.

I'm not one for taking pictures, even on my iPhone, but I am one for traveling with my iPad so this ad still hit home for me, and I assume with most other iPad users. But will it hit home with those that haven't experienced an iPad yet?

Quote:

How is that not constructive?

How is derailing a thread constructive? Creating a new thread on AI specifically to talk about the issues you're having with iOS or even doing a web search for others having the issue would have been constructive. Did you even look on discussions.apple.com before jacking this thread about a new iPad ad?

post #61 of 135
Quote:

How do you know that tens of millions of users do not have significant issues with Mobile Safari on iPad Air? Where do you get that information from?

Why would my iPad Air be any different than the others? Mobile Safari crashes regularly despite no matter what website I am on. (Ooops, it just crashed while editing this page! Lost half my inputted text!!) (Ooops again, it just crashed a second time but thankfully lost no text this time. Now resorting to editing this reply in Notes; will cut and paste this text into the Apple webform after I finish.)

Mobile Safari on iPad Air will crash even if I have no other apps open at the time, or even if I have just one tab open.

Speaking of tabs, just as big a problem as Safari crashes for me is that far too often tabs are forced to reload if you go to another tab and then return. This can happen if there are only two tabs open at a time. Can't Apple manage its allocated RAM well enough to stop this from happening? A web page doesn't take that much memory unless it has *lots* of scripting in it. It make editing something in a page risky if you have to look up something in another tab while doing so...
Bring it to an apple store or get a replacement. Jeez, basic problem solving
post #62 of 135
Great visuals in the ad, but I found the narration and music cringe-worthy.

I hate to say this, but overall, a mediocre ad.
post #63 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

Quote:

How do you know that tens of millions of users do not have significant issues with Mobile Safari on iPad Air? Where do you get that information from?

Safari DOES crash a lot on iOS 7. It's a bit of a disappointment.

I've ended up using Atomic Browser more and more often.
post #64 of 135
This video makes me want to base jump off a mountain with my iPad, while searching for a cure for cancer. Yeah, I should be doing that.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #65 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

Except I've read, and continue to read, of others having the same problem. So if it's a problem with the model, swapping one Air for another won't help, will it?
post #66 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Safari DOES crash a lot on iOS 7. It's a bit of a disappointment.

Thank you, sir! Yes, it does.
post #67 of 135
Quote:

See my original post. These issues I (and presumably every other iPad Air owner, unless mine is in some way special) am experiencing are part of a "real user's story" — i.e. mine. How is that not constructive? If these issues can be identified and then addressed isn't that constructive?

Unless you are confusing saying something constructive with saying something that is only positive??

Your original post was off topic. Please find or start an appropriate forum thread, seek assistance from the Genius Bar, or a technology-platform grief counselor.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #68 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Great visuals in the ad, but I found the narration and music cringe-worthy.

I hate to say this, but overall, a mediocre ad.

I think it's great. Not just the visuals or reciting a WW (not Walter White) poem but reciting from Dead Poets Society and getting Robin Williams to do it. I think it's one of the best ads I've ever seen.

post #69 of 135
Quote:

How is derailing a thread constructive? Creating a new thread on AI specifically to talk about the issues you're having with iOS or even doing a web search for others having the issue would have been constructive. Did you even look on discussions.apple.com before jacking this thread about a new iPad ad?

I'm not derailing the thread, I'm merely talking about my experiences with the said piece of hardware that the article was about (though it has to be a software problem, OS or app-specific, rarer than a hardware problem) and just because my comments are not glowingly positive doesn't mean they're not constructive.

Yes, I looked at discussions.apple.com and there is a lot of discussion on this issue there as well. Don't be so quick to make assumptions as, yes, I've done a lot of web and Twitter searches as well. A *lot* of people are talking about this.
post #70 of 135
Quote:

Yes, I looked at discussions.apple.com and there is a lot of discussion on this issue there as well. Don't be so quick to make assumptions as, yes, I've done a lot of web and Twitter searches as well. A *lot* of people are talking about this.

And despite claiming you had previously looked it up and were aware others have this same issue with that particular iOS version on both the iPhone and iPad you came to an new thread topic that unrelated to your issue to complain about it? Makes perfect sense¡

post #71 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Your original post was off topic. Please find or start an appropriate forum thread, seek assistance from the Genius Bar, or a technology-platform grief counselor.

I thought this website was about a set of technology platforms from one specific company? If my original post was off-topic, it wasn't too far off-topic. We're talking about the iPad Air aren't we?
post #72 of 135
Quote:

And despite claiming you had previously looked it up and were aware others have this same issue with that particular iOS version on both the iPhone and iPad you came to an new thread topic that unrelated to your issue to complain about it? Makes perfect sense¡

It's hardly "unrelated":
post #73 of 135
Quote:

Now you're just making stuff up. I never even mentioned the iPhone or other iPad models, I am talking specifically about Mobile Safari on the iPad Air.
post #74 of 135
Quote:

What part of "Apple debuts new iPad Air ad highlighting real users' stories" is related to a Safari issue affecting all iPads and iPhone of a specific iOS version?

See my last post.
post #75 of 135
Quote:

Now you're just making stuff up. I never even mentioned the iPhone or other iPad models, I am talking specifically about Mobile Safari on the iPad Air.

And yet you said you looked up this particular issue on Apple's forums and somehow missed all comments of people with different devices. So you're lying now or lying then. Proud of yourself?
Quote:

See my last post.

See post #82.

post #76 of 135
Quote:

It's funny how now, long after the Mac was the only major product Apple sold and Apple Stores first appeared, some people still want to say that Apple's success is based on marketing.
Yes. I think the original comment was either poorly worded or just not very well reasoned. Clearly Apple's strength is first and foremost it's products, and yet that's such an over simplification it is all most as silly as the assertion that marketing is Apples main weapon. But Apple has aleays been brilliant at marketing and among Steve Job's many talents his marketing chops were perhaps his greatest. It's not a derogatory thing - he was, and Apple is brilliant at marketing strategy. The famous Apple secrecy is a marketing move first and foremost.
In terms of their IPhone and iPad campaigns they are amazing examples of aspirational contextualisation but they hardly represent the be all and end all of Apple's marketing.
post #77 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I saw this ad during the 49er/Panther game. It was breathtaking and awesome to watch. Make me proud to be an iPad owner and meet me wish I had an iPad air too.

Freaking Apple! They just bowl me over with their ads and I'm a sucker for their products.

If you like the iPads that much, maybe you should buy Apple's stock instead ... :p 

post #78 of 135

Horrible ad. All these new ads are FORGETTABLE!

Can you remember the last Apple iPhone ad? No, I can't either.

These forgettable "feel good for 30 seconds" ads need to end.

post #79 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I think the original comment was either poorly worded or just not very well reasoned. Clearly Apple's strength is first and foremost it's products, and yet that's such an over simplification it is all most as silly as the assertion that marketing is Apples main weapon. But Apple has aleays been brilliant at marketing and among Steve Job's many talents his marketing chops were perhaps his greatest. It's not a derogatory thing - he was, and Apple is brilliant at marketing strategy. The famous Apple secrecy is a marketing move first and foremost.
In terms of their IPhone and iPad campaigns they are amazing examples of aspirational contextualisation but they hardly represent the be all and end all of Apple's marketing.

I'd categorize it as Apple offers an experience but that comes from their products and can carry over to their ads because that philosophy and mindset is built into the company and likely an inspiration to whatever marketing team they hired for this ad, but it's tnot from merely convincing people to buy their products by creating an ad because that's an extremely myopic view of business, which seems to be where st88 was implying (see his other comments).

post #80 of 135
Quote:

"when compared to an OS X or x86 Windows device "

Most OSx and windows devices lack the mobility of an iPad Air. Hence I think those devices are quite limited.
A device you can take with you anywhere is already gained a certain level of limitless capabilities.
More creative stuff is being done on the iPads to solve various business and non business needs everyday
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple debuts new iPad Air ad highlighting real users' stories