or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple debuts new iPad Air ad highlighting real users' stories
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple debuts new iPad Air ad highlighting real users' stories - Page 3

post #81 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinthal View Post


Now you're just making stuff up. I never even mentioned the iPhone or other iPad models, I am talking specifically about Mobile Safari on the iPad Air.

 

I see what you're trying to say but it is still off topic. This thread is about a commercial Apple posted not specifically about Safari but about how the iPad is being used in places and in ways that naysayers dismissed not too long ago and in some cases still to this day.

 

Your post is about a software bug that has been discussed in threads specific to your issue as well as the fact that the latest beta of 7.1 largely increases the stability of Safari. I've experienced your issue but it still doesn't make it on topic. Now if the thread was about how buggy a release of iOS 7 was with regards to Safari, then it would be on topic, but bringing it up and constantly getting into it with other forum members is counter productive to the conversation in this particular thread.

post #82 of 135

I personally really like the ad. I like the message it conveys. The context of aspiring to do something great is inspiring. I strive to make a positive impact daily but this ad pushes me to want to do more. I know...corny, but still. Others have mentioned that the ad is a little wishy washy and doesn't show "normal people" doing "normal things" just like the previous Life with iPad ad, but I think that misses the point. Unlike other manufacturers that show ads with people break dancing or getting inside giant robots or making fun of competing products, I think it's a breathe of fresh air, no pun intended.

 

I think what we call "the human spirit" is encompassed in an ad like this, as is the voiceover from Dead Poets Society. Human beings are curious and I think a 10" device that barely weighs a pound gives us a way to go places and do things that even a few years ago we thought were futuristic. Sure tablets existed prior to the iPad but I think that it was the nerds running the show before and now it feels as though the artists are, and to me, that's rather inspiring. Steve said it best -

 

Quote:
"It's in Apple's DNA that technology alone is not enough — it's technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities, that yields us the result that makes our heart sing and nowhere is that more true than in these post-PC devices."

 

I know others have mentioned it before but it bears repeating. The iPad is Steve's and Apple's vision fully realized. I think these ads just push that message home.

post #83 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingAlert View Post
 

If you like the iPads that much, maybe you should buy Apple's stock instead ... :p 

I did...in addition to all of the other Apple products that I am satisfied with!

post #84 of 135
Originally Posted by bighype View Post
Horrible ad. All these new ads are FORGETTABLE!

 

Then you have worse memory than me.


Which means you’re either the guy from Memento or reliant on several VERY expensive machines that are the only thing keeping your body alive because your brain has forgotten how to do it on its own.

 

And the guy from Memento’s even pushing it.

 

These forgettable "feel good for 30 seconds" ads need to end.

 

Nah. Drink more caffeine.

post #85 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I saw this ad during the 49er/Panther game. It was breathtaking and awesome to watch. Make me proud to be an iPad owner and meet me wish I had an iPad air too.

Freaking Apple! They just bowl me over with their ads and I'm a sucker for their products.

I saw this on the computer first but found the first 30 secs slow. But when I saw it again on my large flat screen TV, it was indeed different.

post #86 of 135

This commercial seems to establish that using iPad as a camera is no longer dorky.

post #87 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by st88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't think he was. You wrote "Marketing is Apple's most important weapon to success" which I took as that they would have a hard time being successful if they didn't have great marketing.


I see this differently: the products sell themselves. No need for marketing. Their products are that good.
Re-read his post.  

He states "To say marketing is the most important is to say the products are equivalent to the competition and need the marketing to succeed."

That is not something I believe.

There have been plenty of products which are 'that good' in the past, but some have met their demise due to marketing.

Need an example? Take a look at the plasma TV market, Pioneer and more recently Panasonic.  The best products with little marketing managed to fail against heavily marketed LCD/LED displays from companies such as Samsung or Sony.

1) I wasn't referring to his post, but your line: "Marketing is Apple's most important weapon to success", to which I disagree. Apple products sell themselves because they are of good quality, refined. I don't see any marketing from Apple in my country, yet it sells. iPhones & Macbooks everywhere.

2) Don't you think the lower price of LCD/LED could've won over from plasma?
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #88 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

This commercial seems to establish that using iPad as a camera is no longer dorky.

I don't many on this site would have seen the iPad camera as being something more than for the occasional FaceTime flip-side usage to show something off in a home because, I assume, we're all more a bit persnickety about out gadgets, but I am seeing the iPad used as a camera more and more frequently. I was recently at a wedding and reception where it was used a lot. The display on the iPad certainly makes that aspect attractive but, to me, it still looks very odd. Perhaps these are people that have iPads but don't have iPhones or other advanced smartphones with good cameras. Is there another reason? Regardless Apple noticed this trend and have brilliantly, in my opinion, jumped on it with this ad.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #89 of 135

Wait, you mean all I need for complete self actualisation ("writing my own verse") is an iPad? And here I was thinking that took years of hard work and introspection! Oh I am a silly goat.

post #90 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Great marketing won't save a bad product, but poor or mediocre marketing can damage a mediocre product. Look at what Microsoft's break dancing ads to the Surface tablet... it didn't help a bit and turned the product into a parody of the ad.

Excellent point! The rest of your post as well.

As for the Surface, the presentation didn't help either (crashed), the lack of retail price didn't help either, nor did the firing of the developer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't many on this site would have seen the iPad camera as being something more than for the occasional FaceTime flip-side usage to show something off in a home because, I assume, we're all more a bit persnickety about out gadgets, but I am seeing the iPad used as a camera more and more frequently. I was recently at a wedding and reception where it was used a lot. The display on the iPad certainly makes that aspect attractive but, to me, it still looks very odd. Perhaps these are people that have iPads but don't have iPhones or other advanced smartphones with good cameras. Is there another reason? Regardless Apple noticed this trend and have brilliantly, in my opinion, jumped on it with this ad.

I think it looks geeky when people take a photo with an iPad, but that's of lesser importance than my main gripe: it's way more likely to not have the photo in focus due to camera iPad shake. Many people hold it with two hands on the other side of the lens, not having a steady grip.

One positive: when they shoot a video they at least hold it 'correctly'; in landscape. Don't see many people do that with their iPhone (which I always point out to them; that looks even more dorky than creating a photo with an iPad)

Sorry to be OT, though it fully relates to the iPad usage which is what the ad was about.

PS After seeing the New Depths page, I can't wait for the 'Elevating the Expedition' story
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #91 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I think it looks geeky when people take a photo with an iPad, but that's of lesser importance than my main gripe: it's way more likely to not have the photo in focus due to camera iPad shake. Many people hold it with two hands on the other side of the lens, not having a steady grip.

One positive: when they shoot a video they at least hold it 'correctly'; in landscape. Don't see many people do that with their iPhone (which I always point out to them; that looks even more dorky than creating a photo with an iPad)

I have to think Apple saw this development at least a year ago and started to design their iPad with better optics. There is certainly more room in the iPad for better optics as compared to the iPhone.

NasserAE speculated that Apple could be the first to market with 4K video with that recent purchase of the developer than had an app than can take 10-20 8Mpx photos per second, which is equivalent to the number of pixels in 4K. Implemented that algorithm into Apple's code with an SoC designed around it along with better camera HW could mean this could happen as soon as this year.
Quote:
Sorry to be OT, though it fully relates to the iPad usage which is what the ad was about.

Vert much on topic.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #92 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Having been a slave to the Microsoft ecosystem for 20 years, personally I'm glad to be free of it. That makes all the difference in my iPad, my iPhone, my MacBook Pro, and my iMac all of which I use in my personal creative life and for my business.

Just makes you a slave all over again.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #93 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by st88 View Post

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but the iPad's capabilities are extremely limited when compared to an OS X or x86 Windows device (such as the ASUS T100 featured in the "more serious" link).  BTW, despite the shortages in North America and other regions, the T100 shipped 500,000 worldwide in Q4 of 2013 and according to ASUS is set for another 2 million in 2014 when production demand can be met.

...but a laptop then?
post #94 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinthal View Post

Now you're just making stuff up. I never even mentioned the iPhone or other iPad models, I am talking specifically about Mobile Safari on the iPad Air.

And yet you said you looked up this particular issue on Apple's forums and somehow missed all comments of people with different devices. So you're lying now or lying then. Proud of yourself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinthal View Post

See my last post.

See post #82.

Relax. He can bring up whatever the heck he wants. You're not the moderator, and you don't have to respond (it would be more appropriate for you to report the post).

In fact, by repeatedly responding, you've simply made it go on and on. Kind of defeats the purpose of what you were trying to achieve, no?
post #95 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Great visuals in the ad, but I found the narration and music cringe-worthy.

I hate to say this, but overall, a mediocre ad.

 

Robin Williams didn't cut it for me. I tried closing my eyes and listening to it. To me the guy's voice didn't have the depth necessary to carry off the message. He might as well have been reading contents off a cereal box.


Edited by island hermit - 1/13/14 at 6:33am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #96 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinthal View Post


How do you know that tens of millions of users do not have significant issues with Mobile Safari on iPad Air? Where do you get that information from?

Why would my iPad Air be any different than the others? Mobile Safari crashes regularly despite no matter what website I am on. (Ooops, it just crashed while editing this page! Lost half my inputted text!!) (Ooops again, it just crashed a second time but thankfully lost no text this time. Now resorting to editing this reply in Notes; will cut and paste this text into the Apple webform after I finish.)

 

Perhaps he is inferring from the lack of mass rebellion in the media and on Apple's support forums that the problem as you describe it probably is not wide spread. Considering Apple has sold hundreds of millions of devices capable of running Mobile Safari, perhaps he is just providing a guestimate as to how many people are not effected. 

 

Further, your position can be viewed in the inverse and is not logically sound. If he claims he doesn't have any problems  using mobile Safari, why should he assume his experience is not the norm as you are doing? If you are claiming to have a perfectly normal Apple mobile device, aren't you also implying the opposite of what he is claiming? Namely, that a large percentage of devices are effected by the issue. 

 

I think it also fair to assume Apple employees use Mobile Safari frequently to visit some of your favorite sites. If they were having problems on the scale you comport to have, it seems reasonable that perhaps they would fix the problems.

 

We could take a poll. I have an iPhone 5, and an iPad Mini Air.  I won't say I never have had a problem surfing the web with Mobile Safari, but I certainly can't remember the last time I had any issues. I think Mobile Safari is pretty solid. 

 

I have never surfed the web using any browser without some issue popping up eventually. I have had problems occasionally while commenting on Appleinsider using Safari on my Mac or Firefox on my work computer. Porn sites are bad as well. ;) 

post #97 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

...But you ARE beating a dead horse. The uses show are actual uses, not contrived.

To a great extent the limitations of the iPad are mostly in your head and in like thinkers. What the ad shows is that clearly people eagerly use the iPad for things even Apple didn't expect. If you think, as you stated, "he iPad's capabilities are extremely limited," then the problem lies within your own mind and not that of the millions of iPad users who aren't as certain of limitations as you appear to be.
Very well said. I can hardly believe there are still those out there who say that Apple's products are difficult to use because of some perceived restrictions. They obviously do not know what they are doing with the products. You really don't even need to jailbreak Apple products anymore. There is an app for whatever you would like to do. These are actually the most user-friendly and intuitive products I have ever used, to the point where everyday uses and OS navigation quickly becomes like second nature. Maybe Apple haters should actually try using some of Apple's products before rendering judgement.
post #98 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...

No contrived nonsense about phony users

The new ad and web page depict real users, not imagined ones. That's relatively easy for Apple to do because iPad and its iOS platform is actually being used around the world by tens of millions of real people to do real tasks....

...
Google has to invent users because it's not actually selling its Nexus tablets to a broad audience; the tablet's actual manufacturer, Asus, is struggling to sell tablets as desperately as it's struggling with hardware and software bugs. That makes Google's portrayal of phony use cases for its tablets is as phony as Asus' benchmark doping....

...
The phoniness of Google's contrived ads (something that's certainly not in short supply in the tech industry) was also reflected in the condescending reaction to Apple's latest spot authored by Darrell Etherington for TechCrunch, who wrote, "it's no secret that Apple wants to push the creative aspect of its mobile devices, which are still seen largely as consumption gadgets."...

 

The best quotes from the article....

post #99 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Robin Williams didn't cut it for me. I tried closing my eyes and listening to it. To me the guy's voice didn't have the depth necessary to carry off the message. He might as well have been reading contents off a cereal box.
I have to agree. Robin Williams can be summer up in one word for me - phony. He tries so hard he almost chokes on his own words. All emotion no gravitas.
post #100 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

This commercial seems to establish that using iPad as a camera is no longer dorky.

I don't think an ad can establish that. Frankly, using a tablet as a camera is still awkward and goofy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post


Great marketing won't save a bad product, but poor or mediocre marketing can damage a mediocre product. Look at what Microsoft's break dancing ads to the Surface tablet... it didn't help a bit and turned the product into a parody of the ad. Apple's ads are as outstanding as the product which makes Apple and its products considered "premium." People will pay extra for that kind of a product. It's not enough to have the ad sell a product "that sells itself' the ad, in Apple's case, the ads needs to maintain that image of a premium product in the public's mind.

Yeah, those ads didn't really tell us what it did. They might as well have been ads for dancing props.

Surface is a pretty nice product, but it's a bit inscrutable. It wanted to be a notebook and tablet and going about it in an odd way. Can't even use it as a lap top device because of the flexy keyboard and kick stand.
Edited by JeffDM - 1/13/14 at 9:06am
post #101 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Just makes you a slave all over again.

Yeah, we really don't need to rehash Microsoft's enforced monopoly and Apple's bad management all over again do we?  I mean, that's pretty much what it was.

 

At least now I choose to be a slave to Steve's vision.  If it's not one thing it's another.  As consumers in a capitalistic society, that's what we do.  I'm glad you pointed that out.

post #102 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Relax. He can bring up whatever the heck he wants. You're not the moderator, and you don't have to respond (it would be more appropriate for you to report the post).

In fact, by repeatedly responding, you've simply made it go on and on. Kind of defeats the purpose of what you were trying to achieve, no?

1) Reporting it well after the damage is done would have done nothing. The poster certainly wouldn't have learned anything by silently having his comments removed long after the thread is dead.

2) It does defeat the purpose but in my defense I only responded after the thread had jackknifed like a semi-trailer in a 50 car pile up. I also didn't respond right after the thread had started, but well into the second page.

3) I also tried to inform the user of sites that are better equipped to handle his concerned instead of posting on a thread about an iPad ad on a rumour site. He then stated that he was well aware of this iOS issue which then tells me he was just trolling, which in turn puts egg on my face for even thinking for a second he was being sincere and for which I take full responsibly for falling for his ruse.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #103 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think an ad can establish that. Frankly, using a tablet as a camera is still awkward and goofy.
Yeah, those ads didn't really tell us what it did. They might as well have been ads for dancing props.

Surface is a pretty nice product, but it's a bit inscrutable. It wanted to be a notebook and tablet and going about it in an odd way. Can't even use it as a lap top device because of the flexy keyboard and kick stand.

There are certainly some HW elements I think are well designed but I think the concept or the "no compromise" is inherently flawed. There are plenty of differences between the new and old MS but philosophically I see the Surface product as no different than the old WinMo phones with a Start Button. Perhaps because it hasn't been done right (yet?) but I can't see how their "no compromise" device isn't 1) MS still trying to hold onto Windows glory from the 1990's, and 2) nothing but compromises.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #104 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Just makes you a slave all over again.

I suppose we could say that about any job we have in our life or place we live. No matter what there is some boss or government that is over us. Even if you run your own company you still have someone or something you're accountable to. So isn't the best choice the environment that you enjoy, the one you look forward to?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #105 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I suppose we could say that about any job we have in our life or place we live. No matter what there is some boss or government that is over us. Even if you run your own company you still have someone or something you're accountable to. So isn't the best choice the environment that you enjoy, the one you look forward to?

We sell our time, our body, and our know how to our employer, so it's more akin to prostitution than slavery, and the answer to your question is yes it is indeed the best choice.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #106 of 135
The recent ads are laying it on a bit thick. Good ads and all, but seems like Apple could use some more casual or fun ads to balance out all the momentousness.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #107 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by st88 View Post
 

 

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but the iPad's capabilities are extremely limited when compared to an OS X or x86 Windows device (such as the ASUS T100 featured in the "more serious" link).  BTW, despite the shortages in North America and other regions, the T100 shipped 500,000 worldwide in Q4 of 2013 and according to ASUS is set for another 2 million in 2014 when production demand can be met.

Why oh why do people say this? They are two different devices that server two completely different needs. Yes there is some crossover but that doesn't mean you negate one device because the other has better specs in SOME departments. Consider this: The iPad's capabilities are SUPERIOR to an OS X or x86 device in may regards as shown in this new ad! I can't take my MacBook Pro under water. I can't hand over my MBP in public places to my 4 year old to pacify him when he gets antsy. It would be very difficult to use my MBP to do on-the-spot CAD drawings to make floor plans for my real estate business... I could go on and on but hopefully these three simple examples show you that I need both devices. It's not either / or in my case or for millions of other satisfied users. 

post #108 of 135
Originally Posted by st88 View Post

I hate to keep beating a dead horse

 

So stop doing it? Seems pretty simple. If you actually hate it, you’re just a masochist for doing it, right?

 
…but the iPad’s capabilities are extremely limited when compared to an OS X or x86 Windows device…

 

Yeah, wonder why that’d be.

 
…the ASUS T100…

 

I don’t see an ecosystem or usable OS, so…

post #109 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post


Most OSx and windows devices lack the mobility of an iPad Air. Hence I think those devices are quite limited.
A device you can take with you anywhere is already gained a certain level of limitless capabilities.
More creative stuff is being done on the iPads to solve various business and non business needs everyday


Actually, most Windows 8 devices are tablets

post #110 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Can't even use it as a lap top device because of the flexy keyboard and kick stand.

Erm, this is not at all true. Have you actually seen the ads? The new kickstand angle is wide enough for lap use and I've handled the keyboards my self and they're very stiff and rigid

post #111 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Horrible ad. All these new ads are FORGETTABLE!
Can you remember the last Apple iPhone ad? No, I can't either.
These forgettable "feel good for 30 seconds" ads need to end.

Yes I can. The "misunderstood" teen as where he was creating a holiday video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

This commercial seems to establish that using iPad as a camera is no longer dorky.

I don't know about that.
post #112 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

Erm, this is not at all true. Have you actually seen the ads? The new kickstand angle is wide enough for lap use and I've handled the keyboards my self and they're very stiff and rigid

No, I have only seen the song and dance ads, and one other ad that still didn't show what the product did.

I know someone that has one, and OK, maybe it will work on a lap, but that's a compromised situation.
post #113 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post


Actually, most Windows 8 devices are tablets

In some ways they did mirror tablet use but have you tried to even change the orientation of Surface? It's a huge mess that takes you into old-style desktop windows. It's not natural or automatic as one should expect from a tablet. Even Android and Kindle Fire get this right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

Erm, this is not at all true. Have you actually seen the ads? The new kickstand angle is wide enough for lap use and I've handled the keyboards my self and they're very stiff and rigid

Do you have a video of the Surface being used on a lap with reasonable ease that matches a proper notebook? Everything I've seen shows it's not possible.


edit: Here is someone complaining about that MS' very on Community site:



You know what they say about necessity: Here is someone who built their own Surface case just so it would be halfway decent on their lap, but even that has a very squishy keyboard feel and lot of manipulating for adjusting the display angle:


Edited by SolipsismX - 1/13/14 at 1:09pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #114 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


No, I have only seen the song and dance ads, and one other ad that still didn't show what the product did.

I know someone that has one, and OK, maybe it will work on a lap, but that's a compromised situation.


The dancing ads did suck, I'll give you that.

 

But thank you for being reasonable

post #115 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Do you have a video of the Surface being used on a lap with reasonable ease that matches a proper notebook? Everything I've seen shows it's not possible.

Yes I do

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peIa1PEOLi4

 

And in terms of cases, the iPad isn't much better

post #116 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post


The dancing ads did suck, I'll give you that.

But thank you for being reasonable


Circuit-wise, Surface Pro is impressive hardware, and the construction of the main body is solid. The guy I know even switched to using it for Solidworks because it had plenty of horsepower for it, even for complicated assemblies. For that work, he hooks it up to an external monitor because the screen size & pitch makes it hard to look at on the built-in display for too long.
post #117 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

Yes I do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peIa1PEOLi4

And in terms of cases, the iPad isn't much better

That video doesn't reveal anything. The one I posted was a better advertisement for the Surface. No light and he's using a black Surface whilst wearing black clothes. I can't make out anything but the floor and I'm reasonably sure he has a 747 key engine running off to the side.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #118 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I think it looks geeky when people take a photo with an iPad, but that's of lesser importance than my main gripe: it's way more likely to not have the photo in focus due to camera iPad shake. Many people hold it with two hands on the other side of the lens, not having a steady grip.
 

 

How good is sensor stabilization on the iPad? Is it as good as on the iPhone?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

One positive: when they shoot a video they at least hold it 'correctly'; in landscape. Don't see many people do that with their iPhone (which I always point out to them; that looks even more dorky than creating a photo with an iPad)
 
 
But, as more and more people look at videos on smartphones, is portrait mode really wrong? Might there not be occasions when it is in fact more suitable?
post #119 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


Circuit-wise, Surface Pro is impressive hardware, and the construction of the main body is solid. The guy I know even switched to using it for Solidworks because it had plenty of horsepower for it, even for complicated assemblies. For that work, he hooks it up to an external monitor because the screen size & pitch makes it hard to look at on the built-in display for too long.

Yeah, I can see how it would be a problem. Also, trying to hit all those tiny buttons on a 10.1" screen could get difficult if you're not using the stylus or trackpad

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


That video doesn't reveal anything. The one I posted was a better advertisement for the Surface. No light and he's using a black Surface whilst wearing black clothes. I can't make out anything but the floor and I'm reasonably sure he has a 747 key engine running off to the side.

Lol

 

But the point is that it's the original Surface with the angle that people thought wouldn't work on a giant ball. So it's really not that bad

post #120 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

But the point is that it's the original Surface with the angle that people thought wouldn't work on a giant ball. So it's really not that bad

I don't recall any comments about a giant ball. It's hard to tell in that oddly shady video with the widely placed angle but it looks like his thighs might be horizontal (i.e.: flat). People use notebooks on their lap at very angles and it's work well because the display supports itself and you can adjust the angle to what is ideal. How is that possible with the Surface? Where are those videos proving a 15* angle will work just as well?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple debuts new iPad Air ad highlighting real users' stories