or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › By Doing This Will the Life of my rMBP deteriorate ?

By Doing This Will the Life of my rMBP deteriorate ?

post #1 of 15

Hi Guys,

Though this may sound a little cheeky there is a serious question that I would like to ask all of you guys on this pretext. My recent SONY VAIO laptop (Got it in 2008. so worked 5 and half years for me) just gave up on me it had the NVIDIA Graphics Card with a dedicated Memory of 128 MB RAM and that very thing turned out to be the villain in corrupting the OS of my Machine which has now start up screen issues, display issues, and is now beyond repair. The reason for this to happen, I was told for this if I am watching a lot of HD Videos constantly or doing any Graphic intensive activity slowly but surely the Life of my Graphic card is deteriorating this leads me to ask one question.

On My current rMBP If I say daily watch for e.g there are these lot of sites "ADULT SITES" giving you Live Performance I have noted that marginally even my Mac gets hot if I am on that site for say a Hour or more. even the mac can't resist the temptation lol ! No but seriously If I do this, does it mean the life of my Mac will deteriorate and hence I should not visit and stay on this site and watch those live performances ? Serious question guys so expect serious, intellectual answers…

Edited by augustya - 1/13/14 at 10:48am
post #2 of 15

Excessive heat can cause deterioration of some of the electronics in your computers.

That's why they have big heat-sinks and fans to keep them at a reasonable temperature.

However, Heat-realated damage does NOT corrupt the OS.  Based on what you wrote in your OP, heat was not the cause of your machine's demise.

But the machines are designed to be used ... and to run at certain temps... if you routinely run your MBP hard while it's sitting on a pillow that insulates it and blocks the air intake/exhaust ports, then yes, it's entirely possible it could get too hot and cause damage.  Various chips or components could fail, making the computer unusable, but heat won't corrupt the OS.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #3 of 15

So should I stop visiting and hanging out on that site ? Which I am not sure ? It may be absolutely not damaging to my Machine except making it hot. But you never know ? So should I stop visiting that site ? :rolleyes: 

Can it cause any harm to my machine ?

Edited by augustya - 1/13/14 at 10:42am
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustya View Post

So should I stop visiting and hanging out on that site ? Which I am not sure ? It may be absolutely not damaging to my Machine except making it hot. But you never know ? So should I stop visiting that site ? 1rolleyes.gif  

It's important to remember that some of the NVidia GPUs from 2008 were defective, mostly the 8600M but some 9600M too.

Modern computers are much better at cooling than before. Still, it helps not to block cooling vents. If you keep the laptop on a book or other hard surface when doing anything intensive, it allows the heat to escape under the display as well as above. If you have say a telephone book, put the back edge of the laptop hanging over the back of it. That allows the air to escape freely.

If you have a Retina Macbook Pro with a dedicated GPU, that's more likely to be problematic than Intel's integrated graphics. I don't think there have been any issues with integrated graphics chips dying. But again, modern machines are much better at staying cool. Apple seems to ramp the fans up faster these days so the machines cool down very quickly. I doubt they will suffer the same problems as before.
post #5 of 15
Quote:

...there's a very remote possibility that it CAN (by overheating), but it's highly UNlikely.

I'd recommend you continue visiting the site, as I'm not sure I want you reproducing! ;) (Hard to come to a definitive position on that, however, based on this one thread.)

post #6 of 15
I had a Sony VAIO it packed up after 3 1/2 years The operating system was Vista and couldn't be updated . Now I have a Mac
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's important to remember that some of the NVidia GPUs from 2008 were defective, mostly the 8600M but some 9600M too.

Modern computers are much better at cooling than before. Still, it helps not to block cooling vents. If you keep the laptop on a book or other hard surface when doing anything intensive, it allows the heat to escape under the display as well as above. If you have say a telephone book, put the back edge of the laptop hanging over the back of it. That allows the air to escape freely.

If you have a Retina Macbook Pro with a dedicated GPU, that's more likely to be problematic than Intel's integrated graphics. I don't think there have been any issues with integrated graphics chips dying. But again, modern machines are much better at staying cool. Apple seems to ramp the fans up faster these days so the machines cool down very quickly. I doubt they will suffer the same problems as before.

Not to drag it off topic, but it's a matter of how defective. Graphics seem like one of the earlier points of failure in these notebooks. They may be 1-2 die shrinks away from booting further non-intel graphics. The 330m models experienced problems. There are quite a few threads on the AMD 6750m and early 2011 macbook pros. AI ran an article on that a bit ago (hope mine holds out for now). The AMD X1600s in some mac pros were also problematic. You read about it less due to the lower cost of replacement. On older mac pros a new card could simply be swapped in if it was compatible, and the cost was a lower percentage of the initial machine's price. In my opinion better integrated graphics would be one of the best potential notebook improvements due to its alleviation of one potential point of failure. As for streaming p0rn, where is html5 when you really need it:lol:?

edit: I know that's silly. I couldn't resist typing it.

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

As for streaming p0rn, where is html5 when you really need it:lol: ?

It's the lack of DRM. They need to have secure feeds as well as features that can't easily be tampered with like if you pay for certain minutes of streaming or restricted feeds that it deducts from your balance. Some companies are against DRM but until HTML 5 has it, authoring companies simply won't use it.
post #9 of 15
Many tube sites have an HTML5 video mobile version. You can probably get to it by changing your browser user agent if you wanted.

Possibly not true for halfway professional paid streams or live webcams.

censored

censored

post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Excessive heat can cause deterioration of some of the electronics in your computers.

if you routinely run your MBP hard while it's sitting on a pillow that insulates it and blocks the air intake/exhaust ports, then yes, it's entirely possible it could get too hot and cause damage.  Various chips or components could fail, making the computer unusable, but heat won't corrupt the OS.

No I use My Macbook on a Desk I don't use on a pillow or any such thing. So I don't think I am blocking the heat ventilating Duct.

post #11 of 15
Quote:

If you have a Retina Macbook Pro with a dedicated GPU, that's more likely to be problematic than Intel's integrated graphics.

I am shocked by this your statement that dedicated GPU are more likely to have problem, I thought it was always a plus to have a dedicated GPU that makes your Machine a powerful machine in the sense your Graphics intensive work becomes a lot smoother and easier without any Lags in general. BUt you make it sound as if it was a negative. So does that mean which I may in the near future one should not go for the the most top end 15" rMBP which has a dedicated GPU and a VRAM of 16 GB I thought that one is a F*****G powerful beast of a machine but you sound as if one should not go for it as it is likely to wear off faster then machine having a intergreated GPU Gosh ! I am shocked to read that !!

post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

As for streaming p0rn, where is html5 when you really need it:lol:?

edit: I know that's silly. I couldn't resist typing it.

so if I use a HTML 5 browser that is less likely heat my machine and hence by using a HTML 5 enabled Browser I can still hang out on that site ? is that what you are suggesting ? will the HTML5 Browser make my machine not too hot ? is Safari not a HTML5 enabled browser ? I believe safari is already a HTML5 enabled Browser !

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Many tube sites have an HTML5 video mobile version. You can probably get to it by changing your browser user agent if you wanted.

This has gone like a bouncer over my head. can you explain how do I do that ?

post #14 of 15
Quote:

I am shocked by this your statement that dedicated GPU are more likely to have problem, I thought it was always a plus to have a dedicated GPU that makes your Machine a powerful machine in the sense your Graphics intensive work becomes a lot smoother and easier without any Lags in general. BUt you make it sound as if it was a negative. So does that mean which I may in the near future one should not go for the the most top end 15" rMBP which has a dedicated GPU and a VRAM of 16 GB I thought that one is a F*****G powerful beast of a machine but you sound as if one should not go for it as it is likely to wear off faster then machine having a intergreated GPU Gosh ! I am shocked to read that !!

Dedicated GPUs tend to be more powerful but they've always been less reliable. That's not to say they all fail, they just happen to have a higher rate of failure.

8600M, 9600M, 6970M, 6750M, 6490M, X1900XT, X1600, I think some old 7500 or 9200 too, all had issues.

I don't think I've ever heard of an integrated graphics failure. In the near future, I would say integrated graphics would be a better option for most people. Iris Pro is very close to the 650M/750M. For some things the dedicated performs better, in some cases worse as NVidia isn't very good at OpenCL support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustya 
is Safari not a HTML5 enabled browser ? I believe safari is already a HTML5 enabled Browser !

In preferences > advanced > show develop menu, develop menu > user agent > iPad or iPhone will sometimes switch to an HTML 5 player. You may also have to remove Flash and Silverlight from Library/Internet Plugins but not always.
post #15 of 15
Quote:

In preferences > advanced > show develop menu, develop menu > user agent > iPad or iPhone will sometimes switch to an HTML 5 player. You may also have to remove Flash and Silverlight from Library/Internet Plugins but not always.

Or "Click2Flash".

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › By Doing This Will the Life of my rMBP deteriorate ?