or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google buys Nest Labs, maker of smart thermostat, for $3.2 billion [u]

Google buys Nest Labs, maker of smart thermostat, for $3.2 billion [u] - Page 4

post #121 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

I love my very apple-like Nest and this news troubles me... The Nest is a very un-Android-like device. I hope they don't ruin it.

I hope so, too. Have two for the house I am building. Won't know what Google does with it in time to return them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They probably will ruin it. Everybody knows how Google makes their money.

Now, Google will know even more about your life, your habits, your contacts and even your room temperature probably.

I'm not even all that concerned with what data they collect. Just that the ruin the experience. Or, worse, get lazy in how they update. Claim "we can only do this in Andriod, not iOS, because of Apple rules" when the truth would be it would just require more effort to do so properly. Google isn't know for there amazing iOS apps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Hogwash. Google is overextending itself into seasoned industries that will crush them. They'll write this experiment off in 24 months.

I hope not. I fear you are right. I fear this is a preemptive patent move.
post #122 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Awesome. So now Google will know when you leave home and arrive. They'll know approximately how active your household is based on motion sensor triggers. They'll know your waking and sleeping schedule. They'll know how often you accidently trigger the fire alarm when cooking.

In other words Google is the Santa Claus for adults.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #123 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

. I fear this is a preemptive patent move.

Nest took their patent cues from Apple: Patent everything and anything. As a result they're pretty well stocked with IP considering how young they are.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #124 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Tesla's a ridiculously overvalued company (not counting the premium that will have to be paid on top of that). Apple should stay as far away from it as possible.

Google can have it.

Square, on the other hand...

And Nest was not overvalued at $3.2Bn??? I am glad Apple is not joining this "let's make a bonfire out of our cash" contest.

post #125 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The Fisync tech is probably their coup de grace.   Since they aren't charging financial institutions more that ACH (Automated Clearing House) transaction yet they can deliver instantaneous transaction they could be a boon ...

How are they able to do that? That sounds like a free lunch, and I don't believe in free lunches.
post #126 of 339
The only company I'd support Apple buying is Nintendo. I say that as both an Apple customer and shareholder. Bringing the Nintendo brand and characters to Apple would be a smart move and would totally re-energize the Nintendo platform. Apple TV becomes the next generation Wii with an App Store and game rentals. All games go exclusive for iOS devices.

Nest for 3.2B seems insane. The question is, could Apple spend 3.2 billion to build Nest? For sure. That money is better didn't elsewhere. And if they want to get into smoke detectors and thermostats, they can roll their own solution for a lot less than Google spent, I would imagine.
post #127 of 339
Really think that apple should invest their money as well in companies that coincide so well with their iOS ecosystem. I also think that it's sad that successes such as this product from former employees of apple should be careful when allowing the competition to get their hands on a company such as this. Really don't think Google will make the product any better or allow it to get better for us which love Apple.
post #128 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

You have no idea how well the Nest products are selling from Apple Retail.  And the more I think about this, the less I am surprised by it.  First all of, Nest already had Google Ventures money in it.  So it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that Google might just write a check for one of the startups it has funded.

Apple buys a lot of companies...but they don't buy everyone.  We also have no idea if Apple made a play on them but I'd be very surprised if Apple didn't know in advance that Nest was being courted by Google for sale.  One thing we know from Apple is that they won't overpay for a company and $3.2b is a lot of coin.  That being sad, at least Nest makes a real manufactured product(s) and not some iOS/Android app.

Apple and Google compete in many places but not in all.  We have no idea if home automation was something Apple really wanted to pursue.  Tim Cook has said before that they say no to most ideas...very few actually make it to product.  On the other hand, Google has no qualms with keeping an every growing number of "balls in the air".  Some of those companies do well, and others don't work out.  Nest already has 2+ years of sales, likely a product pipeline of unannounced stuff and we have no idea what Google themselves were developing in house that might be moved over to Nest.

My real concern is Nest data since I've never been comfortable with Google and their data policies.  I'lll take Fadell's word (for now) on Nest data not being used for anything other than Nest products.  I think Nest recognizes that many of their customers are very Pro-Apple (they easily have the app download and usage data).

I think apple's strategy is never to by anything that expensive (have they even bought anything for over $100MM? They did TRY to buy Dropbox, it's true...

post #129 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

And Nest was not overvalued at $3.2Bn??? I am glad Apple is not joining this "let's make a bonfire out of our cash" contest.

Hmm... I don't recall saying it was not? In fact, I think it's the contrary.
post #130 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Well, if you view Santa as the creepy old guy that watches you through you window, yes, just like that.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #131 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekboydotca View Post

Collection of user data to fuel advertising, of course.  That is Google's strategy in everything - collect personal data, and then sell you to advertisers based on that.  When thinking about anything that Google does in the business world, you have to start your thoughts with the simple fact that they are an advertising company, period.  

Something like this will be a piffling data source for Google.
post #132 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmm... I don't recall saying it was not? In fact, I think it's the contrary.

No, you didn't say one way or another, but to me, this is much crazier than the Motorola acquisition. Maybe GOOG should declare a dividend, if cash is burning a hole in their pocket.

post #133 of 339
If Apple actually wanted them, Nest would have been theirs.

I'm pretty sure Tim and co. know exactly what to acquire and exactly when to do it.

Gotta love the rookies around here that still think Apple Apple *knows* a company, sees what they do, doesn't care to buy them for months/years, and then suddenly slaps their forehead outta the clear blue sky when they're acquired by someone else.

Companies are bought and sold every damn day. Apple - OF ALL TECH COMPANIES - knows this. Tim even made it very clear that Apple's acquisitions will not be many, but they WILL be very specific and very deliberate. Quality over quantity.
post #134 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Someone please explain how Tony Fadell is worth $3B.

How much is Jony Ive worth for Apple? $3B is pocket change for Google. Good design cost money. Simple.

post #135 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Who is Google selling data to and why would they do it? If they simply sold off the information it wouldn't be long before advertisers wouldn't need their services. No, I would think they guard it like the crown jewels just as Apple does. IMHO It doesn't leave their control short of a court order.

Google is selling data indirectly, via ad targeting. Their argument is, of course, that they are doing you a favor (but not inundating you with MaxiPads ads, or whatever). In any case, AdBlock is your friend -- it certainly is mine.

post #136 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Google sells its customer data. Without it their stock is no greater than $100/share.

No matter how many times you say it, it doesn't become any more true or more logical.  You even contradict your own logic.  If Google is worth nothing without customer data, and if it sells away that valuable asset, what do they have to build value?  Nothing at all.  Therefore they don't sell data to advertisers.  What they actually do (and I know this because I had an internship with an on online advertising company) is sell advertising space.  The only data that advertisers can see in Google Adwords are the number of views and clicks that their ads received as well as other generic performance data.  There is no way to see who clicked.  There is no way to send ads to a particular individual, neither via personally identifying information nor via anonymized identification information (e.g. an advertising ID number or something).

post #137 of 339
Home Automation doesn't 'just work'... it is going to be full of low-margin junk from devices that are supposed to work together but don't. I have a Nest, it's good for what it does. I wouldn't spend billions to buy it and try turn it into yet another failed home-automation company.
post #138 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

In any case, AdBlock is your friend -- it certainly is mine.

I use Ghostery, also worth consideration.
post #139 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Nest took their patent cues from Apple: Patent everything and anything. As a result they're pretty well stocked with IP considering how young they are.

That is what I mean. The only thing that makes sense with that price tag.
post #140 of 339
Billion... As in billion?
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #141 of 339
Maybe Fadell and Andy Rubin can collaborate on a project to destroy Apple! Fun times ahead! /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #142 of 339
Just what I need a Google bug in my home, telling them all my habits.
GeoIP along with "smart" thermostats that "learn" when someone is home => total surveillance.
post #143 of 339
my only problem with this (not a bad buy for google at all) is the changes that could come through. i own a nest. i like it very much indeed and it has saved me money. enough that i could buy two more nests.
if google puts their software into this- i will not be happy. sorry droidboys, i know all your arguments for why android is better than iOS- but it looks paltry. sure it does some sweet things here and there, but it is buggy at times and just looks like iOS' little brother.
hoping nest stays nest.
post #144 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

How much is Jony Ive worth for Apple? $3B is pocket change for Google. Good design cost money. Simple.

As for quality of design and implementation, the Nest thermostat is closer to the Samsung Galaxy Gear than to an iPod or touch.

post #145 of 339

Every product on the market will soon be a connected device. Your fridge, oven, all of it. How can Google and Nest compete with LG, Whirlpool, GE, and all of the other established home players out there? And they will surely connect to an iPhone or iPad. I say this is a game for third-party companies who can focus on their own products with iOS or Android connectivity.

post #146 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Well if Tony Fadell is worth $3B then Ive is worth 10x that much. So basically Google paid $3B dollars because a thermostat and smoke detector look like they could have been designed by Ive & Co. at Apple.

post #147 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

That is what I mean. The only thing that makes sense with that price tag.

Hmm..isn't that also why they bought Motorola Mobility?

post #148 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I totally think Nest is more appropriate for Google rather than Apple because Google thrives off of info and that's what Nest will give them via their huge datasets. 

What I want Apple to do here is let us know what side of the Home Automation are they going to come down on. 

Zwave, Zigbee or 6LowPAN or some proprietary format of their own creation?   As much disdain as I have for the grandiose "Internet of Things" hyperbole being spouted off daily I do think this year is the year to lay down the tracks and start building a more connected world. 

Google's made one step here ....it'll be interesting to see what other synergistic companies they acquire going forward.

Mmmm... Over the years I expected to Apple to cut a deal with, or acquire, Echelon -- in order to get into the enterprise and home automation business.

Echelon (ELON) has a market cap of about $100 million. Echelon was founded by Mike Markkula after he left Apple.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #149 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Well you joke about that, but he is pretty popular because he give free gifts to good boys and girls who agree to Santa's terms and conditions, which includes spying on them. 1smile.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #150 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Billion... As in billion?

This many…

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #151 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'll be putting tape over the camera! I also now want to know more about disabling access to the internet or at least how to install Little Snitch. 1hmm.gif

Setup a secondary wireless router that is only or the nest. Don't hook that router up to the net. Done.

W. Pauli, winner of the Nobel prize in physics, said that all scientific methods fail when questions of origin are involved.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

http://www.answersingenesis.org...

W. Pauli, winner of the Nobel prize in physics, said that all scientific methods fail when questions of origin are involved.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

http://www.answersingenesis.org...

post #152 of 339
Quote:

Well if Tony Fadell is worth $3B then Ive is worth 10x that much. So basically Google paid $3B dollars because a thermostat and smoke detector look like they could have been designed by Ive & Co. at Apple.

The functionality of Nest is very good, too. It's well thought out and intuitive to set up and run. I only hope Google will take Nest's torch and help it to grow, not gut it and warp it into something that is lesser version it is now.

post #153 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

The only company I'd support Apple buying is Nintendo. I say that as both an Apple customer and shareholder. Bringing the Nintendo brand and characters to Apple would be a smart move and would totally re-energize the Nintendo platform. Apple TV becomes the next generation Wii with an App Store and game rentals. All games go exclusive for iOS devices.

Nest for 3.2B seems insane. The question is, could Apple spend 3.2 billion to build Nest? For sure. That money is better didn't elsewhere. And if they want to get into smoke detectors and thermostats, they can roll their own solution for a lot less than Google spent, I would imagine.

Let Nintendo go bankrupt first, then negotiate.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #154 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

Setup a secondary wireless router that is only or the nest. Don't hook that router up to the net. Done.

The guest account for the AEBS (and most other dual-band WiFi routers) doesn't allow access to the router's settings or access to its built-in Ethernet switch.

post #155 of 339
Quote:

Someone please explain how Tony Fadell is worth $3B.
That music player jukebox thing he lead developed at Apple did fairly well I think...

censored

censored

post #156 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Let Nintendo go bankrupt first, then negotiate.
Nintendo have $60bn cash, loads of assets and no debt. They can carry on for many years even with their current losses.

censored

censored

post #157 of 339
Quote:

How in the world is Nest worth $3B? Seems to me a crazy amount to pay for a company that has two products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

Not sure if Apple wanted to buy this but I know Apple loves to accumulate Cash  :lol: 

Edit: I think Apple did not want this JUNK as they say We are not in business of Junk!

http://www.businessinsider.com/nest-thermostat-problem-2014-1

Pfft… Yeah, right. Junk from the creator of the iPod.

Infact it's such junk that Apple thought it deserved to be sold in Apple retail stores. :rolleyes:

post #158 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

A post full of ignorance. Do you seriously believe that?

Heck, Apple should buy tripadvisor today and incorporate it on Maps, otherwise google will do it.

Somebody needs to upgrade their sarcasm detector. Unless of course it runs Android, no updates are available.

Perhaps Googs just bought Fadall to help reimagine Moto's phone.
post #159 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

That music player jukebox thing he lead developed at Apple did fairly well I think...
I'm sure Jon Rubenstein would have something to say about that.
post #160 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Nintendo have $60bn cash, loads of assets and no debt. They can carry on for many years even with their current losses.

Nintendo is an amazing company with a crazy history. Even when they seem completely out of they find way to reinvent themselves and breath through with new products that excite buyers. They've come a long way since making playing cards in 1889.

Edited by SolipsismX - 1/13/14 at 4:44pm

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google buys Nest Labs, maker of smart thermostat, for $3.2 billion [u]