or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google buys Nest Labs, maker of smart thermostat, for $3.2 billion [u]

Google buys Nest Labs, maker of smart thermostat, for $3.2 billion [u] - Page 7

post #241 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

Of course, I'm assuming we'll all now have to link our Nest accounts with Google+ (I wish I were kidding).

I've become increasingly resistive to logging into the Google monopoly on websites. I stay logged out of Google unless checking Gmail, and I never bother logging into YouTube to comment or even rate (not a real loss there). Why? My Internet searches are my business, not for marketing purposes. I hate both marketing and advertising in specific. There's almost zero accountability and advertising seems to be nearly 100% misdirection and lying. Between corporate news agencies and advertising, there's so little truth and reality out there. I want nothing to do with advertising agencies, but Google snuck into my life when I wasn't paying attention to what they really were.

On one hand, they're a fantastic example of what's possible with capitalist market funding, and on the other hand they are a frightening example of how capitalism eats its own market. There are so few companies out there. Go grocery shopping and try to find product not owned by five to ten parent companies. Almost everything we buy in the USA is pretty much from about ten corporations.
post #242 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Another overhead serve aces right past Apple. Thanks Tim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

"Innovation is in our DNA"  

Could have fooled me Tim. 

1. When did Apple ever buy a company selling a separate retail line of hardware products ((or at least continue to operate it as one)?

2. As the article pointed out, Google already had a piece by being the venture capital arm and were therefore working closely with them ever since that relationship started.

Pretty straightforward really.

PS: By the way, most of Apple's recent acquisitions seem to make fairly excellent sense. And whoever spearheaded and then honchoed/midwifed the move to the A-chips are some dudes that deserve huge props.

Apple's best strategic decision of the decade that's making their differentiation lasting.  Lack of control over their chip destiny in the Motorola/IBM Power PC chip days cost them a ton of momentum at a critical time. 

No such possible roadblock this time - they own their own destiny in product evolution in most of the key areas. 

And if they want to go where Google and MS aren't (as well as take them on head to head in other areas), you might see them acquiring, for example, battery technology - and any other parts of their devices where in-house innovation could give them that edge that other companies can't reach with commodity components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Um... what is Google's strategy here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes, what is Google's strategy? ...

They want to own automation systems (cars, homes, personal robots)... 

...I believe they are following the advice of Ray Kurzweil ... but these are all nascent industries and there is no proof that any of them are big money makers, nor is there any guarantee any of them will be anything but a massive money sink for the foreseeable future.

If Google can continue to fund money losers (as a type of very long term R&D) it will be bad for their immediate and near term, but possibly be of benefit in the long run. ....

Disclaimer: I'm platform agnostic. I use OS X, iOS, Windows, and Android for diff purposes - and sometimes because I'm just a cheap bastard and will settle for an adequate solution to a low priority need. 

Anyway, I believe these are all real deal major future industries - and part of where the action's already shifting. Everybody in the world may have a well-built, long-lasting, affordable iDevice or two in 5 or 6 years - markets mature.  Ask any PC maker.

So, some of what Google's after in the what's-after-smart-mobile-screens world:

*A foothold in the "I of T" - check.

*Building on the model of becoming a force in hardware through acquisitions which are operated as mostly autonomous subsidiaries, a la Motorola (the Moto X's camera sucks badly, but is otherwise a sweet deal off-contract, e.g., and they're on course to move a ton of Moto G's in quite a few countries)

*Robotics - check. (An acquisition of something like iRobot [I don't know their status at all, just an example] would totally cement my argument above.)

*The Living Room (remember the living room?) - Chromecast is a nice little $35 solution to enough of many people's needs, and it's only the tip of what they're pouring into TV, including partnerships.

*Media - the whole Google Play thing is good enough for most people and it's on more devices around the world, so even if Apple's skimming 75% of the cream, and Amazon has a loyal customer base, that's still a lot of milk. Oh, and YouTube.

And for personal media if you haven't noticed, most of what Picasa's always done is being integrated into Google+'s Photo Gallery (which automatically and permanently backs up every Android phone photo taken in G+).  And along with a few editing tools, if you shoot burst photos, Gallery even automatically makes Motion GIF's. And auto-stitches pieces of video footage it thinks are related into edited movies with sound tracks. You don't have to like 'em or keep 'em, but hey, this is not your 2005 photo backup service. I wouldn't take the time myself, and kinda fun stuff.

*GMail's also living in G+ now - you can send a photo in a gMail from your G+ photo pages - and post it in your G+ stream.  No uploading, no downloading, no trips between webpages. Easy-ecosystem-peasey check.

*Communications in general. G+ incorporates Hangouts as well as GMail and all your media... ...and Hangout's morphing into a combo of SMS, IM (in general as well as bringing gMail chat and Google+'s chat), voice calling, video calling and video conferencing - with simultaneous Google Docs collaboration and G-Drive sharing. Cross-platform too.

Long-term, facebook, and MS's Skype and Office divisions should be pissing themselves. Check and flush.

*The car. The self-driving stuff, some other initiatives and partnerships I can't think of right now, and the allure of standardizing on Google Maps (still Coke to anyone else's Pepsi - especially since it's on all the platforms). Check.

*Project Loon and bringing fiber to cities - becoming a world ISP - check.

*Reportedly looking into building their own server chips (fabless fab model) - since they're one of the largest server buyers in the world. And because they've seen the benefits to Apple (which might be actively considering upscaling their own designs for a similar purpose).  Check.

*Etc.

*Etc.

And these all build up Google's data collection and marketing (ads and themselves) machine.

Peeps in Mountain View be thinkin' big. I'm kinda totally terrified of 'em, but also kind of in awe.

So I hope those at Apple HQ are thinking bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

On one hand, they could be buying some Apple DNA.....

Bingo on that observation.... ...and that's probably chafing a few shorts in Cupertino tonight.  They can deal, though. They were never gonna buy it.

Quote:

What I want Apple to do here is let us know what side of the Home Automation are they going to come down on. 

Me too. Best question posed in the thread as far as I read.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #243 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why? Because it's a 'cool' company?

That seems to be the motivation for the steady drumbeat of "Buy Nest! Buy Tesla!" 

Apple sensibly prefers to buy undervalued and/or mission-critical properties. Apple doesn't need to be in the car or home businesses. Apple's always prevailed through relentless focus and polish. Leave it to Google and others to play with thermostats and self-driving cars. They're cool, they get good press, but they're not markets that are ripe for the kind of shine Apple likes to put on its products. 

post #244 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrdSllS View Post

As for Tony, I also had genuine high estime for this guy and what he had done at Apple and Nest... Tony really ? Did you need those additional 3.2B in your bank account ? Is there anyone left in Silicon Valley what would not drop his pants and bend over in front of Schmidt ?

I'd wager you'd drop your pants and bend over in front of Schmidt, for a LOT less then a billion...
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #245 of 339

Apple isn't going to do Home Automation. They are providing the platform and ecosystem that the Home Automation experts can leverage as another tier to the current Apple ecosystem.

post #246 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

People speculating about Thermostats and more don't know Honeywell, but I guarantee you I'm not the only Apple/NeXT alum who grew up with them.

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/

Mmmm... My uncle worked for them in the days when they were Minneapolis – Honeywell...

When I work for IBM in the 60s, Honeywell was a manufacturer of maimframe computers.
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 1/14/14 at 12:44am
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #247 of 339
Another product down the drain, with Google getting their hands on the data which
Nest hold now and into the future will mean a lot.
(Your Habits)
This will give them when you move and where, many rooms or not, vacation,
and your daily routine in how you use the Nest heating/cooling.

The agreement signed does not mean it can't be changed in the future to Googles
advantage!
Plus the fact this products fame globally with the aid of Apple Stores, also the fact
that it fits quite nicely into those economies Europe, Asia for the way it's setup/sold?
Compared to similar products.

It's beauty in design & simplicity I know some don't think much of it in it's capabilities
or the recent changes of mobile control.
post #248 of 339
Quote:

Apple isn't going to do Home Automation. They are providing the platform and ecosystem that the Home Automation experts can leverage as another tier to the current Apple ecosystem.
But if they wanted to they could do it for less than $3B. Remind me again why Apple purchased WIFI Slam?
post #249 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

But if they wanted to they could do it for less than $3B. Remind me again why Apple purchased WIFI Slam?

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/03/26/what-exactly-wifislam-is-and-why-apple-acquired-it/#!r9Ck3

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/25/apples-20m-purchase-of-wifislam-snubs-googles-android-for-indoor-map-tech

Yeah... $20 million!

post #250 of 339
Thanks for this. I'm seeing a lot of tech writers lament/question why Apple didn't pick up nest. I'm still struggling to understand why Apple would need nest. Apple certainly isn't lacking in hardware chops. My guess is if Apple wanted to get into this space they could do so for less than $3B. One thing that props up Google's stock price is this idea that they have all these irons in the fire. Apple is a much more focused company. Wall Street could care less if a Google is.
post #251 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Thanks for this. I'm seeing a lot of tech writers lament/question why Apple didn't pick up nest. I'm still struggling to understand why Apple would need nest. Apple certainly isn't lacking in hardware chops. My guess is if Apple wanted to get into this space they could do so for less than $3B. One thing that props up Google's stock price is this idea that they have all these irons in the fire. Apple is a much more focused company. Wall Street could care less if a Google is.

Apple doesn't buy solutions – Apple buys methods with which to develop Apple solutions!

post #252 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't blame the guy for selling to Google.

For 3.2 Billion, how can you?

Nest's products seem cool, but I don't think that Apple should have paid anything close to that amount, so let Google have them.

In real terms Google only partially bought them. From memory, google's capital investment arm already had made a substantial investment in the company, so part of the purchase is cost for one part of Google and profit for another.

post #253 of 339
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post
Do you use that immoral search engine?

What on Earth leads you to need to ask this question? :lol:

Every company including Google, Apple, Microsoft and on and has done something dirty once or twice.

Yeah, see, ‘every company’ doesn’t make a living on doing dirty things. Google does.

post #254 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

(Long post)

Kudos for your well thought-out and detailed post addressing many questions. Seriously.

But the essence of your response to me regarding Google's strategy is that it is swamping us (or at least, trying to, since it has not gotten anywhere yet) with a 'cheap bastards' approach (I am quoting you).

That may very well be the case, although I'll believe it when something actually sticks. But we know that'll never be Apple's strategy. And it is unclear how that will make money for Google.
post #255 of 339
I am so glad that I didn't end up buying a NEST thermostat. I seriously looked into it, but I have been divorcing myself from everything Google for a while now. So, lucky break for me.
post #256 of 339

For those who wonder what possible interest Google could have in buying Nest :

Simple, they wanted an Android app for the Nest.

post #257 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, see, ‘every company’ doesn’t make a living on doing dirty things. Google does.

Google? Only ONCE ! 

It started when they first had someone on Apple's board, and it hasn't ended today.

post #258 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanFruniken View Post

Google? Only ONCE ! 
It started when they first had someone on Apple's board, and it hasn't ended today.

FWIW Apple also had someone on Google's board. 1hmm.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
post #259 of 339
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
FWIW Apple also had someone on Google's board. 1hmm.gif

Did Apple make an aesthetically similar search engine I haven’t heard of?

post #260 of 339

I think the BBC is not convinced:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25726521

...and of course, the issue of privacy:

But what about privacy? Would Nest customers be happy that Google now knew what time they were leaving their homes?

"Our Nest privacy policy clearly limits the use of the customer information we gather to improving Nest's products and services," says Fadell. "The terms of service are not going to change."

But more interestingly he went on: "Already there's all kinds of things that Apple and Google collect from your smartphone. They already know a lot more about you than we actually do."

So, privacy isn't an issue as Apple and Google already know more about you than does Nest. Oh, good then.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #261 of 339
Quote:

"Innovation is in our DNA"   

Could have fooled me Tim. 

You two forgot to stamp your little feet.
post #262 of 339
Quote:

Did Apple make an aesthetically similar search engine I haven’t heard of?

Nope.

Google had purchased Android well before Schmidt was added to Apple's board so Google's development of a smartphone OS was hardly a surprise. Even the details of what their progress was so far may not have been unknown to Mr. Jobs. Keep your enemies close maybe? Perhaps.

BTW weren't you the one claiming that Apple or someone in management there at some point accused Schmidt of stealing trade secrets from them? Did you ever find that citation you were looking for? I've not seen comment from anyone at Apple even hinting that occurred but you apparently had. Personally I've always viewed it more as a product of a vivid imagination used to rally the troops, circle the wagons, that kind of stuff.

So don't see any particular need to hash over it again and again as no one has ever offered Apple statements or other evidence proving Schmidt was stealing secrets from Apple. But you can be the first. Otherwise it's kinda he said she said isn't it? Heck not even that as no one that would know has even felt it worthy of commenting on AFAIK.
Edited by Gatorguy - 1/14/14 at 6:20am
post #263 of 339
Google had purchased Android well before Schmidt was added to Apple's board so Google's development of a smartphone OS was hardly a surprise.

YEAH. BECAUSE ANDROID SURE DIDN’T CHANGE BETWEEN PURCHASE AND RELEASE.

post #264 of 339
Quote:

The iPhone sure didn't change between their initial idea and the final product. 1rolleyes.gif
post #265 of 339

I think some already said it, why would you want to give google another access point into your home and what you do day to day. I think these are great ideas but have limits on who will buy and put these kinds of products in their home. If you starting from scratch then these home automation ideal can work nicely, but since most home in the world are not the same or build around any sort of standard that everyone follows it make these kinds of devices complicated at best. Also keep in mind the largest portion of the world populations live in high density housing so the owners of those properties are not going to allow people to install things like this.

Samsung is also looking to tie your home appliance into the cloud and your home, interest strategy, but most people do not replace those items all that often it is usually buy once and never replace it until it dies.

post #266 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I think some already said it, why would you want to give google another access point into your home and what you do day to day.

Worse, if privacy was a great concern why would anyone give it up to a start-up company with no history who just might merge with or be bought out by some other company at some point? It could just as well been Facebook or Microsoft or TECO or some complete unknown as the buyer. IMO not so much that Nest got bought out or any particular privacy concerns but that it was the hated Google that bought 'em.
Edited by Gatorguy - 1/14/14 at 6:46am
post #267 of 339
The iPhone sure didn't change between their initial idea and the final product. 1rolleyes.gif

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 85

He thinks that’s in any way comparable!

post #268 of 339
Quote:

As do many products. Even the iPhone and the UI changed from inception to release. You kill the detractors of the iPhone and you also kill the one company that realized that Apple's take on the smartphone was the future and adjusted their game plan accordingly. Now they most certainly could've done it in a more nobler way but in business you either do or you die. Those they didn't no longer exist (Palm) or are on their way to extinction (BB).
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #269 of 339
Quote:

He thinks that’s in any way comparable!

I guess the pictorial distraction was to fill the awkward void until you can find that Apple claim of Schmidt stealing trade secrets. You do put pretty good combos together tho. Funny!
post #270 of 339
I guess the pictorial distraction

Nice try.

post #271 of 339

Guys & Girls, Apple did / does NOT need this crap.

Goofle with their dumb and talentless workers need the brains behind the design.

Microsoft is the one who should've bought them but not at that price or else the whole Internet would laugh! But they don't laugh at Goofle! Why? Because Goofle is well ... Goofle!

Goofle paid 3.2 billion for the NAME of the MAN behind so-called VISION who everyone calls him the Father of iPod (or something like that) NOT for the product they selling.

Also, Nest is a luxury crap which is NOT in a typical Gooflers' DNA to buy. YES, if ever Goofle gives it out for FREE, then their fans would love to have one. Until then, there goes another 3.2 billions for something that Goofle has NO clue if they can use it to make some $$ if ever.

Edit -> Interesting!! http://www.tuaw.com/2014/01/14/why-apple-didnt-buy-nest/

Edited by Disturbia - 1/14/14 at 8:24am

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #272 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

From Tony Fadell's Nest bio page: "Tony led the team that created the first 18 generations of the iPod and the first three generations of the iPhone. Before Apple, Tony built the Mobile Computing Group at Philips Electronics. Tony has authored more than 300 patents."

He brings a lot more to Google's table than just his current products.

Umm. What are the accomplishments of the Mobile Computing Group at Phillips Electronics?

post #273 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

Umm. What are the accomplishments of the Mobile Computing Group at Phillips Electronics?

Philips makes many medical electronics, and they also make cordless phones.
post #274 of 339
Quote:

Oh gosh, Google guy. Apple took a big risk w/ releasing the iPhone. Google just followed the leader with minimal risk (relatively speaking). There was nothing like iOS on the market with a software keyboard.
post #275 of 339
Quote:

What on Earth leads you to need to ask this question? :lol:

1. You were insinuating Google an immoral company hence I asked if you use the search engine from the immoral Google. Also you insinuate that Tony Fadell is doing something immoral by selling Nest to Google. That's just absurd.

2. Google doesn't make a living on doing dirty things. Google makes all its income with advertising which is not illegal or dirty in anyway? Google copying iOS with Android was dirty. Apple copying Xerox's mouse and GUI was dirty. Microsoft copying Mac's GUI was dirty. They all do it.

TS, as a fellow Apple fan, your distortion field needs to dial down.

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

post #276 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Oh gosh, Google guy. Apple took a big risk w/ releasing the iPhone. Google just followed the leader with minimal risk (relatively speaking). There was nothing like iOS on the market with a software keyboard.

I disagree, it wasn’t as big as a risk that it's been made out to be. It was a phone that had a already highly successful product (iPod) built in. Many people were carrying around a cell phone plus a iPod, creating a device with both into one device that worked well (Motorola failed in their attempt) was a fairly safe thing to try.
post #277 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What's a bit odd is Nest gear is high end. Everything Google and Android is about cheap low end.

I think you could argue that Google is trying to hit all points on the demand curve with their products, whereas Apple focuses primarily on the premium customer segment.  There's a huge range in quality of Android compatible hardware and if you look at things like Google Fibre and Google Glass they seem to be targeting affluent customers at the moment.

post #278 of 339
Very unhappy about this, now will we have to sign-in with and link a Google account?! Getting tired of Google's intrusiveness.
post #279 of 339
I have a Nest and like it (no issues so far) but the $3.2B is a lot of money for a company that has only two hardware products. As much as I would have liked to see Apple buy it to keep it out of Google's hands I'm glad they didn't. They have more than enough to focus on with the (hopefully) upcoming release of the iWatch, iTelevision, iPad Pro, as well as all of the updates for current products they have in the works.
post #280 of 339
Quote:

Worse, if privacy was a great concern why would anyone give it up to a start-up company with no history who just might merge with or be bought out by some other company at some point? It could just as well been Facebook or Microsoft or TECO or some complete unknown as the buyer. IMO not so much that Nest got bought out or any particular privacy concerns but that it was the hated Google that bought 'em.

Point well taken, and there is no reason why a device like this need to be routed through some cloud services. You should be able to communicated directly to it without any need to have someone acting as a proxy to our connect to the house. Personally I do not have an issue with a company having the information, it what they do with it. In this case NEST was most likely passing data through and I would like to believe they were not going to sell the information.  They hopefully were using it to make the product better, but we have no clue what google plans to do with the information.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google buys Nest Labs, maker of smart thermostat, for $3.2 billion [u]