or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to reintroduce 8GB iPhone 4 to curb flagging India sales
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple to reintroduce 8GB iPhone 4 to curb flagging India sales

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
With the smartphone race heating up in emerging markets keen on low-priced handsets, Apple is supposedly poised to resurrect the 8GB iPhone 4 exclusively for Indian buyers.

India


Citing unnamed sources at four of Apple's top trade partners in the region, The Economic Times reports the company will soon start sales of the 8GB iPhone 4 in its push for marketshare.

The publication further claims the India-only iPhone 4 will be priced at roughly 15,000 rupees, or $243, after factoring in buybacks and equated monthly installment (EMI) plans. This would represent a savings of 11,500 rupees, or $187, compared to the unit's original retail price from three years ago.

One issue with the rumored move is iPhone 4 supply. With the introduction of the iPhone 5s and 5c in September, Apple halted iPhone 4 production and moved the 4S into the legacy handset's entry-level sales slot. According to sources, the company may seek iPhone 4 handsets from unsold inventory around the world, though such a move would be a huge logistical undertaking.

The idea of offering low-cost solutions to get iPhones into the hands of Indian customers is not new, however. Apple and rival smartphone manufacturer Samsung locked horns in a price war last year that saw both companies hand out deep discounts to woo potential buyers.

A key Apple strategy has been EMI schemes that dull the brunt of per-handset cost by spreading payments out over multiple months. In early 2013, market research firm IDC found iPhone sales rose 400 percent over a three-month period following the institution of such plans.

No official word has been given on the rumored iPhone 4 reintroduction, but one source claims Apple's main Indian distributors, Redington and Ingram Micro, could start sales as early as next week.
post #2 of 40
The iP4 design is still my favorite. Give me the iP5s internals in an iP4 gorilla glass externals and I'd be a happy camper. The aluminum is nice, but like Steve Jobs said about the iP4, it feels like a Leica. 1smile.gif
post #3 of 40
Is this more cost effective than an 8gb 4S? Assuming they manufacture new units. The 4S line is still running.
post #4 of 40
If money is so tight that you can afford a 4 but not a 4S or 5C, then maybe you shouldn't be buying expensive gadgets in the first place, but trying to build up some savings/investments.
post #5 of 40

Sound advice.  Now, that being said... let them buy what they want with their money... even if they can barely afford it. :/

post #6 of 40
Apple still sell iPhone 4 in China. So not sure what's the problem with logistic. Shenzhen to Indian is 5 hrs flight (only the custom takes their time. Surely Apple could get fast track.)
post #7 of 40
It's not about being able to afford it, it's more about the price gap between iPhone and cheaper alternatives. As it says, this is a price war with Samsung.
The iPhone 4 is sill a darn fine phone.
post #8 of 40
When has Apple EVER chased market share?
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

When has Apple EVER chased market share?

They don't, but they do chase profits.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #10 of 40
They might as well sell plastic iP4 or even 3 in India
post #11 of 40

With iOS 7 its a 7.4GB iPhone no?

 

I'd be surprised actually if this is true. 16GB is minimum in my opinion with all the features available in iOS7.

iOS 7 is such a feature rich operating system that people will take advantage of all its features.

post #12 of 40
If true they'd better put a lot more time into making iOS7 run well on an iP4.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They don't, but they do chase profits.

Correct, which was precisely my point. Apple doesn't worship at the "Church of Market Share", they preach from the pulpit of the "Church of Profit Share". If it makes sense from a profit standpoint then they'll release it but the idea that Apple will rerelease the 4 just to chase market share,as this article implies they will, is bupkis.
post #14 of 40
If Apple can do this, and maintain its profit margins – then It should do it!

WOT:

IMHO, Apple should reintroduce Rosetta under Mavericks -- and allow older Intel Macs and apps to run on Mavericks.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #15 of 40
AI generated duplicate!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #16 of 40

Yet another rumor of Apple chasing marketshare with low-priced models. Yeah, those always turn out to be true... :)

post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

If true they'd better put a lot more time into making iOS7 run well on an iP4.

It's reported that iOS 7.1 has greatly improved performance on the iPhone 4. 

post #18 of 40

Curb lagging, not flagging, like the other sites reporting this?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #19 of 40

Crippling a product in the hope of gaining some marketshare by removing a 6$ piece of hardware, instead of just lowering the margin of the 16GB version by a few percent? If that?

 

Sounds like a stupid move.

Matyoroy!
Reply
Matyoroy!
Reply
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If money is so tight that you can afford a 4 but not a 4S or 5C, then maybe you shouldn't be buying expensive gadgets in the first place, but trying to build up some savings/investments.

Or they could buy a cheaper device ( like the 4) were that available?

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #21 of 40
Am I the only one that sees a potential problem with Apple's latest strategy?

The iPhone 4 is the lowest model of iPhone that will run iOS7, and I have heard a handful of comments that it doesn't run it very well. Which, shouldn't be surprising since it has the, now geriatric, A4 processor in it.

So, what does this have to do with anything? Well, it means that Apple is now selling a phone with an A4 processor, a phone and two iPad models with A5 processors, a phone model with an A6 processor, and a phone model and two iPad models with the A7. This is what they are selling right now today.

My concern is that Apple is painting themselves into a corner where support is concerned. Android is often derided because of how badly their product is supported with updates, while Apple is often lauded for the same exact thing. This trend of Apple's though where it continues to sell hardware with a, closing on, four year old processor though is endangering that. As I see it Apple is either going to have to start crippling their updates so that it can run on half-decade old hardware, which the iPhone 4 will be by the time iOS8 comes out, or they are going to join Android in not providing updates for phones that are less than a year old.

This also causes an issue for their ecosystem. It was somewhat acceptable for developers to stop supporting hardware when they could look at it and say, Apple quit making that three years ago, so I am not going to worry about supporting it. They can no longer do that. So, now they have to try and write software that runs well on hardware that is around an order of magnitude of difference in performance. That leads to compromises for the developers as well.

It wasn't that big of a deal when Apple would keep last year's model around and sell at a discount, but that trend is stretching way too far now. They are setting themselves up for failure. They are setting themselves up to become just like Android, with increased fragmentation leading to more work for developers, and decreasing support lifetimes.

This trend concerned me when Apple maintained sales of the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S last refresh cycle. And it seems to old be getting worse.
post #22 of 40
The Econ Times is a good newspaper, but this is an utterly bogus report.
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

When has Apple EVER chased market share?

 

They don't chase market share for market share.

 

First off Apple is a luxury brand.  If they sell cheap junk it will hurt their brand image and reputation (Apple brand name is worth an estimated $100B).

 

Second Apple is more interested in profits than gross users.  They are not interested in users who won't buy apps or branch out to other Apple products.  They would rather have 500M premium customers than 2B cheapskates.

post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

Am I the only one that sees a potential problem with Apple's latest strategy?

The iPhone 4 is the lowest model of iPhone that will run iOS7, and I have heard a handful of comments that it doesn't run it very well. Which, shouldn't be surprising since it has the, now geriatric, A4 processor in it.

So, what does this have to do with anything? Well, it means that Apple is now selling a phone with an A4 processor, a phone and two iPad models with A5 processors, a phone model with an A6 processor, and a phone model and two iPad models with the A7. This is what they are selling right now today.

My concern is that Apple is painting themselves into a corner where support is concerned. Android is often derided because of how badly their product is supported with updates, while Apple is often lauded for the same exact thing. This trend of Apple's though where it continues to sell hardware with a, closing on, four year old processor though is endangering that. As I see it Apple is either going to have to start crippling their updates so that it can run on half-decade old hardware, which the iPhone 4 will be by the time iOS8 comes out, or they are going to join Android in not providing updates for phones that are less than a year old.

This also causes an issue for their ecosystem. It was somewhat acceptable for developers to stop supporting hardware when they could look at it and say, Apple quit making that three years ago, so I am not going to worry about supporting it. They can no longer do that. So, now they have to try and write software that runs well on hardware that is around an order of magnitude of difference in performance. That leads to compromises for the developers as well.

It wasn't that big of a deal when Apple would keep last year's model around and sell at a discount, but that trend is stretching way too far now. They are setting themselves up for failure. They are setting themselves up to become just like Android, with increased fragmentation leading to more work for developers, and decreasing support lifetimes.

This trend concerned me when Apple maintained sales of the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S last refresh cycle. And it seems to old be getting worse.

 

I'm calling BS on this article.  The 4 will continue to be a low volume phone. 

 

The payoff will come when they release the 6 later this year.  Then we will see the 5C being the low end phone.  Or they could even produce a 4SC.  Apple had the foresight to see the need to switch to plastic cases which are easier and cheaper to produce.  They should be able to drop the price of the 4SC to about $299 and the 5C to $399.

post #25 of 40
Won't this muddy the app market?
post #26 of 40
It all sounds strange.

Obviously though, if you remove the 2nd hand supply from your main market you get to have a higher demand for new goods.
post #27 of 40
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post
Won't this muddy the app market?

 

The people whining about a cheaper iPhone aren’t the ones buying apps in the first place.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #28 of 40
When the iPhone 5s and 5c were launched in India, the crowd swelled to 100s of people. Looking at the crowds, Apple decided to start selling the phones at 3pm rather than 5pm.

People were walking out with 2-3 phones each. Apple had exclusive carry bags made, with the letters 'I have it!', followed by 'iPhone 5s' or 'iPhone 5c', based on the model.

There was an MC, TV coverage and a live radio broadcast. It was a real event.

Having said that, the phones are still expensive, with the high-end topping out at about $1100.
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Won't this muddy the app market?

App profits will be slowly disappearing over the next four years anyway according to Gartner, becoming much less attractive to developers. Of course they are Gartner. . .
http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2648515
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

First off Apple is a luxury brand.  If they sell cheap junk it will hurt their brand image and reputation (Apple brand name is worth an estimated $100B).

For the majority of places Apple sells its products, it is not a luxury brand
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The iP4 design is still my favorite. Give me the iP5s internals in an iP4 gorilla glass externals and I'd be a happy camper. The aluminum is nice, but like Steve Jobs said about the iP4, it feels like a Leica. 1smile.gif

To each his/her own. In my opinion Apple creates good looking electronics that don't feel good in your hand. The iP4 is way too square. I can feel the edges digging into my skin. The shape and weight gave the iP4 the nickname Brick. The contemporary iPod touch was smooth, curved and slippery feeling. Likewise the glossy plastic of the iP5C is also slippery. Maybe it gets better with wear, but I couldn't get past that initial "bar of soap" impression. Aluminum phones tend to be very square and suffer from the fact that aluminum is easily dented and scratched. To me they're all begging to be put into a case.

 

I can't see that Apple saves much money building an iP4 with 8GB of flash over an iP4s with 16GB.  Some of the older electronics may not even be available anymore and 8GB of flash saves them less than $5.

post #32 of 40
Concentrate on Central, South America, Africa, Eastern Europe and Russia in short move on.
post #33 of 40

My Indian friends will bite my hand off for any 3GS I can take over - more robust than the 4 and absolutely adequate for what they need including browsing their widely-available 3G :)

post #34 of 40

This is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time, connected to Apple.

 

Even today, you cannot buy an iPhone 5S in India. There are MANY people who walk into Reliance Digital, Chroma, iStore, imagine or iPlanet, and ask for iPhone 5S - and are not able to find one. Pretty much every single store will tell you "We have the iPhone 5C in so many colors", and people just walk away, not even interested in the 5C.

 

Apple is a major fail in India, because Indians want value for money - the iPhone is simply not enough value for money. Many companies have learned the hard way that even though Indians want things at lower prices, they will not tolerate junk at low prices. To a very large extent, the success of LG and Samsung in India's white goods space is because they understood this early on, and they gave Indians good quality products at good prices. The market has rewarded LG and Samsung, making them #1, #2 in pretty much all consumer durables.

 

The Japanese had high quality, but never bothered to address value for money concerns. The American companies never bothered to address Indian market - even today Ford sells cars with Indicator and Wipers on wrong side (after 15 years in the market!). Whenever a foreign or Indian company has delivered good value for money, with good quality, they have tasted success in India.

 

American consumers never realize how much they get fleeced, because the network operators subsidize phones for them, and the carriers actually bear a bigger subsidy burden on iPhones, because that is the only way to retain subscribers. If Americans have to bear the full cost of the iPhone, either upfront or over the term of contract, we would see an impact on adoption. It is a testimony to Apple's clout that they can pull off these sort of deals with carriers. It is no wonder that carriers are trying to wean consumers away from a 2 year upgrade cycle, and to migrate customers to other phones.

post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarena View Post

 

Apple is a major fail in India, because Indians want value for money

 

This sums it up nicely : )

 

There seems to be a lot of ignorance in some posters opinion regarding Indians in this article.

 Indians are one of the, If not the most, Conservative people when it comes to spending money. Additionally the Indian market is a value for money market. They aren't buying iP5 because of lack of funds but rather because they simply don't see the value in it compared to older iP4.
 I myself have come across several Indians who earn significantly higher than I do but live simpler lifestyles because they choose to save their money & when they do spend, It is done after research many calculations especially if it's a product that is meant to last many years.
  iP5/5s is to them, according to about 8 Indians I spoke to if this may be used as consensus, Is an iP4 with upgraded hardware nothing more. iP5c to them is an iP5 which is in plastic hence inferior/Cheap product commanding same price as older iP5.
  I'm almost certain the next generation iP6 if offered in a modern body style and sporting "more" should sell like hot cakes regardless of price tag in this country.

post #36 of 40
Originally Posted by makaveli-313 View Post

This sums it up nicely : )

 

Also completely incorrectly.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Also completely incorrectly.

I wouldn't mind to stand corrected but through a detailed response though.

post #38 of 40
Originally Posted by makaveli-313 View Post
I wouldn't mind to stand corrected but through a detailed response though.

 

I’d rather hear in what way the iPhone doesn’t provide value for the money you spend on it.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarena View Post
 

 

American consumers never realize how much they get fleeced, because the network operators subsidize phones for them, and the carriers actually bear a bigger subsidy burden on iPhones, because that is the only way to retain subscribers. If Americans have to bear the full cost of the iPhone, either upfront or over the term of contract, we would see an impact on adoption. 

Americans already bear the full cost of the iPhone and other subsidized phones in the form of high monthly fees. That's partly why prepaid plans, where you bring your own device,  are usually cheaper than the standard plans from the big three. That is also why ATT now bills you less if you bring your own device. The advertised $199 price of the iPhone is merely a downpayment. Most Americans probably just don't realize that fact and think that they are just paying $199 for an iPhone. Now that T-mobile bills you separately for the data service and the phone, you can see just how much you will end up paying over a typical two-year contract for your phone. 


Edited by d4NjvRzf - 1/16/14 at 11:39am
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

I’d rather hear in what way the iPhone doesn’t provide value for the money you spend on it.

After reading your reply here I think I made a mistake by quoting that particular post earlier.  If you read my post  you will find that my opinion is not iPhone doesn't provide value for money but rather Indians, In my opinion, find the 4 model to give more value for money Vs. higher models such as 4S, 5 & 5S. Perhaps due to the fact they find it to be too similar looking and only a faster variant/not additional enough features for far too much premium. I personally find the iPhone to be very good value for the money it costs, perhaps a bit a premium but then it is the gold standard for touch based UI phones.

 

Sorry for very late response here. I just read the main blog and not the forums where comments get copied onto.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to reintroduce 8GB iPhone 4 to curb flagging India sales