or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung rumored to follow Apple's lead, split Galaxy S5 lineup into metal, plastic models

Samsung rumored to follow Apple's lead, split Galaxy S5 lineup into metal, plastic models - Page 4

post #121 of 148
monkey see monkey do
post #122 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

monkey see monkey do

Monkey may be on payroll ...

post #123 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

AGAIN, where did Jobs say they would never do this. He commented on making phones you can't get your hands around them. Can you get your hands around the iPhone 4? Why do you think that is? He comments on the Android tablets using iPhone apps and being DoA. He wasn't wrong.

But even if Jobs directly and specifically stated that Apple will never do more than a 3.5" 3:2 iPhone or make an 8" 4:3 iPad your original point is both foolish and contradictory in that it either shows Apple is clearly innovating past Jobs, but you seem to have this notion that anything that appeared after Jobs death he couldn't have been involved with. Let me let you in a little secret: Jobs died in October 2011. The iPhone 5 with a 4" display on an entirely new HW design and rewritten OS, apps and SDK to support the new resolution and aspect ratio was not all slapped together in under a year. It was all being designed under Jobs.

Jobs slated 7" size tablets, not 8". Big difference.
iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #124 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post

These are incremental upgrades I was talking about innovation.  Every single hardware manufacture in the world gets thinner more power devices every year.  This is true for samsung, apple, motorolla, lg and everyone else.  This is not a big deal overall.  The design upgrades to the internals are great but again everyone is doing similar things.  Intel, apple, samsung, NVIDIA etc. 
Innovation IS incremental. Every so often it's about a revolutionary product but by and large innovation, true innovation is incremental.
post #125 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4403990 View Post

Almost a jingoism as Apple whining like a little bitch and getting Obama to overturn court decisions which go against them -- all in the name of protecting American "inovations".

fcuk USA, fcuk Apple

obama turned that on his own.  and let's be frank- the iPhone turned the tide on phones.  hate apple all you want- after 2007 phones changed.  

and f USA?  you may not like the USA, but it was the USA that got Japan out of your country!

post #126 of 148
I think we need some sort of IQ test before allowing new posters. May I suggest:

post #127 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortest Douche View Post

New posters are often long time readers!

Then I would expect a little intelligent posts, not showing their single-digit IQ. NOT you, Shortest Douche!
post #128 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortest Douche View Post

I was just trying to tell you not to generalize.

Fair point; my dumb.
post #129 of 148
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
Jobs slated 7" size tablets, not 8". Big difference.

No, he said all tablets smaller than ~10 inches.

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
Fair point; my dumb.

So you missed the username, Phil? Report! :lol:

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #130 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you missed the username, Phil? Report! lol.gif

Cmd-C, Cmd-V...without looking, so yeah
post #131 of 148
Quote:

Apple doesnt make any of these products.  

High resolution screens are purchased by apple not made or developed by them

PCIe SSDs while great were not invented or used exclusively by apple.  And note I specifically said that my comment didn't apply to the MacPro

Again did not mean to address the MACPro

A7 SoC is probably the most legitimate claim you made and I do admit it is pretty advanced for a mobile processor.

Ibeacons are NFC like bluetooth devices apple did not invent these they are based on exsisting bluetooth technology

Not a single thing you mentioned besides the A7 was invented by apple.  To be honest Samsung has done much more for the display, processor, and hard drive market then apple ever has.  Samsung actually invents many of the breakthroughs in these technologies.  They don't just purchase them and allow a pretty package to suffice. 

I think you've failed to acknowledge the software aspect needed for making new technology works flawlessly.  For example; I agree, Apple haven't develop the hi-res Retina LCD panel, many mfg has hi-res LCD for years.  But without a smart way to integrate this in the OS its useless, like it currently is for Windows. Same rules apply for many Apple driven technologies like: Dynamic GPU switching, PowerNAP, Lightning port, Airplay, TouchID, A7 64Bit.  Apple is currently the only tech company who master hardware and software development as a whole.  

Edited by BigMac2 - 1/15/14 at 10:30am
post #132 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

For example; I agree, Apple haven't develop the hi-res Retina LCD panel, many mfg has hi-res LCD for years.  But without a smart way to integrate this in the OS its useless, like it currently is for Windows.

It's more than Apple just developing SW to properly use the displays, it's Apple actively investing in display manufactures to get their vision created. Apple has lead the consumer market with HiDPI IPS displays well before their competitors were able to compete with Apple for the same technology. Apple's volume has allowed them to reduce the costs but this only happens have other vendors can release in small scale yet Apple is coming to coming to market so early that people are saying "it's not possible with today's tech at current prices and yields" until Apple finally does release their products. This simply can't happen without Apple having their finger on the pulse of at least one company that creates the tech for modern displays. Their jump on their competitors is even more impressive when you take into account what you stated about Apple's HW and SW development as a whole since they very rarely release any new HW or SW without it first having a full integration from start to finish, which is clearly more involved than simply slapping NFC in an Android phone and then expecting someone else to create the SW and ecosystem to make it useful.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #133 of 148
Surprising move. I wouldn't have expected it.
post #134 of 148

16 megapixel camera

Depending on the battery life I may need to make a pass on the HTC M8 and cop this.

Expensive though.

------------------------------------------

check out: samsung S5 price & specifications

Edited by seerubsenpai - 1/17/14 at 2:23am
post #135 of 148
"If it aint broken, then copy them", Samsung strategy ;-)
post #136 of 148

Meh, you guys are a little overzealous. I don't think making a metal phone is that crazy of a copying scheme, I can't imagine Apple has the concept of a metal phone all to themselves.

This isn't as blatant as some of their other design decisions.

post #137 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarsboy View Post

Meh, you guys are a little overzealous. I don't think making a metal phone is that crazy of a copying scheme, I can't imagine Apple has the concept of a metal phone all to themselves.

This isn't as blatant as some of their other design decisions.

If any other company did it, it wouldn't be an issue. This is Sammy we're talking about. Its MO is copying.
post #138 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, he said all tablets smaller than ~10 inches.

So you missed the username, Phil? Report! lol.gif

I'm sure you're probably right; however, I think the only non-Apple tablets that existed then were either 10', 7' or smaller, so by extrapolation, Steve Jobs was referring to tablets 7' or smaller.
iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #139 of 148
Quote:

I thought a post from someone else was you.  And the S4 got a bigger display while also having less volume then the S3

The S4 didn't lead the way in screen size it was several generations in.

Is the S4 active also smaller?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #140 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I'm sure you're probably right; however, I think the only non-Apple tablets that existed then were either 10', 7' or smaller, so by extrapolation, Steve Jobs was referring to tablets 7' or smaller.

The LG G-Slate from back in early 2011 was 8" and sumthin. Think Sammy had one around 8" or so too. The first Android tablets came mid-late 2010 and weren't good. You're right tho that most were either 10" or 7".

Then too of course Jobs was a great salesman. You don't praise what you don't sell. He also said video on an iPod or small flash-based music players were ridiculous too. .. until Apple sold 'em. He also said the Kindle was doomed to fail because "people don't read anymore". That was only valid until Apple introduced iBooks. Guess people began reading again after that.
http://www.engadget.com/2004/04/29/steve-jobs-says-it-again-no-video-ipod/
Edited by Gatorguy - 1/19/14 at 3:33pm
melior diabolus quem scies
post #141 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The LG G-Slate from back in early 2011 was 8" and sumthin. Think Sammy had one around 8" or so too. The first Android tablets came mid-late 2010 and weren't good. You're right tho that most were either 10" or 7".

Then too of course Jobs was a great salesman. You don't praise what you don't sell. He also said video on an iPod or small flash-based music players were ridiculous too. .. until Apple sold 'em. He also said the Kindle was doomed to fail because "people don't read anymore". That was only valid until Apple introduced iBooks. Guess people began reading again after that.

And they were 16:9. And they only ran smartphone apps. It doesn't take a great salesman to see that those DoA. Jobs was right and they would have failed regardless of him saying they would.

Jobs said he was wrong about watching videos on an iPod. He didn't see the utility in it, but he's not the only one at Apple.

post #142 of 148
Quote:

And they were 16:9. And they only ran smartphone apps. It doesn't take a great salesman to see that those DoA. Jobs was right and they would have failed regardless of him saying they would.

Jobs said he was wrong about watching videos on an iPod. He didn't see the utility in it, but he's not the only one at Apple.

A 16:9 mobile device isn't necessarily doomed to failure is it? In fact I think the 16:9 version of a previously "perfect 4:3 ratio" mobile device has probably been the better seller. 1wink.gif
post #143 of 148
Quote:

A 16:9 mobile device isn't necessarily doomed to failure is it? 1wink.gif

No particular size or particular aspect ratio is doomed to fail, and Jobs never once mentioned the weird usability of that aspect ratio in that size as a reason. His exact quote is, \“These are among the reasons that the current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA — dead on arrival."

Without Jobs saying "current crop" there could be discussion about a great many things but every one of the 7" tablets on the market did fail.
Edited by SolipsismX - 1/19/14 at 4:06pm

post #144 of 148
Quote:

No particular size or particular aspect ratio is doomed to fail and Jobs never once mentioned the weird usability of that aspect ratio in that size as a reason. His exact quote is, "“These are among the reasons that the current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA — dead on arrival."

Without Jobs saying "current crop" there could be discussion about a great many things but every one of the 7" tablets on the market then did fail.

So 16:9 on a tablet =weird usability, but on a smartphone it's perfect? Yes I noticed you specified in that size but didn't bother explaining why. And yeah the first wave of Android tablets (and even the second IMO) sucked. I don't think it was because of the aspect ratio tho.
post #145 of 148
Quote:

So 16:9 on a tablet =weird usability, but on a smartphone it's perfect? And yeah the first wave of Android tablets (and even the second IMO) sucked. I don't think it was because of the aspect ratio tho.

1) Not just for a tablet, but for that type of device in that size. At 7" it's only good for widescreen viewing which means it's mostly good for video playback. If you want to be able to read text in a more natural way on a 7" handheld device you need a smaller difference between your x- and y-axes.

2) They failed for many reasons. Aspect ratio is just one of the many, many strikes against them, and quite minimal when you consider the state of affairs for the OS, apps and ecosystem.

post #146 of 148
Quote:

1) Not just for a tablet, but for that type of device in that size. At 7" it's only good for widescreen viewing which means it's mostly good for video playback. If you want to be able to read text in a more natural way on a 7" handheld device you need a smaller difference between your x- and y-axes..

But none of that would apply to a 4" 16:9 display. 1confused.gif How about a 4.5" display, would that be approaching weird? What about 5"? I'm thinking you must be convinced that if a rumored Apple "Phablet" phone is real and released it's going to go back to 4:3 then.
post #147 of 148
Quote:

But none of that would apply to a 4" 16:9 display. 1confused.gif How about a 4.5" display, would that be approaching weird? What about 5"?

For a smartphone "weird usability" depends on ergonomics of being able to fit it in a hand. This isn't just about the screen aspect ratio, but the dimensions an entire device. Poor ergonomics can sink a device, but even if you have excellent, good, decent, or even sub-par ergonomics you still need an OS, apps, and ecosystem to carry it. One or the other isn't enough.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with aspect about a specific size. Like most things there are multiple factors. Apple didn't make a bigger iPhone when they made the 4" iPhone 5/5S. If they had made it 4" and kept the 3:2 aspect ratio is would have been a failure because it would have been weird to use. This is why they changed it when they were able to increase the display size whilst making the phone smaller.

Neither 3:2 nor 4:3 work in a 4" (or greater) smartphone. I've even called for 21:9(-ish) aspect ratio on the next Apple displays if they are over 27" so that we can have the benefit that comes how our eyes, head and neck are positions on our bodies. It's always been about multiple factors.
Edited by SolipsismX - 1/19/14 at 6:50pm

post #148 of 148
Quote:

Thanks for moving back to ten inch rather than ten feet tablets!

There were no 8" tablets at the advent of the iPad. And re Steve Jobs's remark, which SolipsismX has helpfully quoted, I feel that he was absolutely right, and that the quote is still valid today.

If Apple bring out a bigger iPad this year, I’ll probably buy it, but I doubt it will be as perfect a form factor as the original iPad. As a pianist, it would be handy to have a larger iPad, as the current one is a wee bit small for reading music.
iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung rumored to follow Apple's lead, split Galaxy S5 lineup into metal, plastic models
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung rumored to follow Apple's lead, split Galaxy S5 lineup into metal, plastic models