or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's Cook 'incredibly optimistic' as China Mobile iPhone orders in multi-millions

Apple's Cook 'incredibly optimistic' as China Mobile iPhone orders in multi-millions - Page 2

post #41 of 58
The Chairman of China mobile post the story of "the 6 years negotiation with Apple" on Weibo (lots of Chinese speakers here, you guys should know) he himself confirm the "over a million reservations". So should I listen to some guy from Wall Street can't speak Chinese and let alone been to China. (Or those armchair man here?) Or the guy who actually run the company ? Hmmm tough.
Edited by Joelchu - 1/15/14 at 7:23am
post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You hear that Odo? "Optimistic!"

ROFL
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

But China is full of poor people and there is no growth and no subsidies and wah wah!

Yep, just pull up posts on this subject from a few years back on AI ... so many experts here 'knew' the Chinese were all living on one bowl of rice a day and could not afford anything made by Apple. 1oyvey.gif
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircm1982 View Post

Interesting optimistic statement~

I am an Chinese and I read online Chinese news about reservation of iPhone 5s/c through China Mobile. It seems the story here is different from those reported by Chinese technology news agencies.

Based on their reports, the sale or reservation is totally not as hot as it states in this post. The reservation number is well below that of China Telecom (270k vs 150k) at same time point. I don't know which source is more true than the other. But presumably as a Chinese and know a little bit of Chinese customer behavior, I don't think iPhone 5s/c will reach the sale peak as seen before. This is because those people who really love iPhones or Apple products have already got the gears through gray market. Those who are still waiting are kind of people that not super fan of Apple, and they can pick up a samsung handset without hesitate due to the slightly lower price. Thus, the key I think will be the price. If the price is not attractive low, It is possible that iPhone 5s/c just a good sale phone rather than a hot sale phone.

Hopefully I am wrong. We will see.

This concerns orders from the carriers not individual customers.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #45 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircm1982 View Post

Interesting optimistic statement~

I am an Chinese and I read online Chinese news about reservation of iPhone 5s/c through China Mobile. It seems the story here is different from those reported by Chinese technology news agencies.

Based on their reports, the sale or reservation is totally not as hot as it states in this post. The reservation number is well below that of China Telecom (270k vs 150k) at same time point. I don't know which source is more true than the other. But presumably as a Chinese and know a little bit of Chinese customer behavior, I don't think iPhone 5s/c will reach the sale peak as seen before. This is because those people who really love iPhones or Apple products have already got the gears through gray market. Those who are still waiting are kind of people that not super fan of Apple, and they can pick up a samsung handset without hesitate due to the slightly lower price. Thus, the key I think will be the price. If the price is not attractive low, It is possible that iPhone 5s/c just a good sale phone rather than a hot sale phone.

Hopefully I am wrong. We will see.

Your assessment is probably close, however, who will you believe the guys who make up stuff to write on the web or the guy who actually knows the numbers. The only thing we know is Apple has never over or under inflated their numbers, they hardly say anything but to provide the accurate information.  The analysis, want-to-be analysis and anyone interesting in creating FUD are the only ones who make statements which are not accurate or completely made up.

post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Oh, it’s banning time again, you’re gonna leave us.. I can hear that faraway tone in your posts… I can tell by the way that you offend us, that it won’t be long before it’s banning time…. (sung to the tune of Ray Charles’s “Crying Time”)

I was hoping no one would quote him. Not funny.
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

In an interview with CNBC this morning, the CEO of China Mobile (appearing jointly with Tim Cook) said that there have been 'millions of preorders.'

I am sure he knows a bit more about this than you do, hanging out in some Chinese forums.

Why don't we wait for the actual facts, which we'll get soon enough.

To be fair... what the hell was he supposed to say... preorders have been smooth.

Yes, let's wait for the facts.

(... but, I too think that at least the 5s will sell in the millions during introduction week)

Edited by island hermit - 1/15/14 at 6:44am
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #48 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Here's what Tim Cook said to the Wall Street Journal:
I was specifically referring to Tim's comments about record iPhone sales in China last quarter. Normally it's a quiet period before earnings and Apple doesn't make any comments as to what they're going to report.

Actually, Tim Cook didn't reveal anything. Apple has always included Greater China as part of Asia/Pacific area. Apple has never broken down the numbers to all the countries this includes. Though they do announce when sales in a certain country are better than anticipated. Like they did for  Japan and S. Korea. So a record breaking quarter in Greater China can't really be compared to any previous number. For all we know, since for the first time, Greater China got the new iPhone at the same time as everyone else in the region, people were buying less gray market iPhones in China. A gray market iPhone purchased in China, counts as a sale in the country in came from, not as a sale in China. So the iPhone sales in Greater china can be at a record high but iPhones sales in the Asia/Pacific region as a whole may still be flat because Greater China did not have to rely on gray market iPhones from other Asian countries this time.

But I got a feeling that Apple will start breaking out China's numbers into its own category so that we can see Apple's growth in the market, without having to extract it from the numbers for the Asia/Pacific region. Which is why Tim Cook is now talking about Greater China sales numbers. 

post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Oh, it’s banning time again, you’re gonna leave us.. I can hear that faraway tone in your posts… I can tell by the way that you offend us, that it won’t be long before it’s banning time…. (sung to the tune of Ray Charles’s “Crying Time”)

Now you've found that no one thinks you really matter (matter)
That's the way it's happened every time before
And as sure as the sun comes up tomorrow ('morrow)
Bannin'' time will end when you can post no more!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #50 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Now you've found that no one thinks you really matter (matter)
That's the way it's happened every time before
And as sure as the sun comes up tomorrow ('morrow)
Banin'' time will end when you can post no more!

LOL

👂
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #51 of 58
Quote:

I'm a little surprised Cook is talking. Wouldn't this be a quiet period for Apple, prior to earnings release?

According to the original post, he stated absolutely no sales specifics or projections.    He can say he's "optimistic".    

post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

You go to the Apple Store and buy a phone, then you walk down the street to a carrier store of your choice and buy a SIM card. In theory the phone maker and the network provider don't need to say a single word to each other.

And yet there are these stories about Apple bargaining for years on end with network providers?

3000 points of sale has China Mobile, spread out all over China... and China is a very large place.  Apple stores don't have nearly the reach.

Also, some carriers subsidize when there is a deal in place - even in China.

This deal matters.

post #53 of 58
Quote:

I'm a little surprised Cook is talking. Wouldn't this be a quiet period for Apple, prior to earnings release?

Quiet period rules are very specific.  They don't cover everything.

Thompson

post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

Ist quarter for Apple ended on Dec. 31, 2013.  Anything Tim say about China sales now will affect Apple 2nd quarter numbers. Even if they took pre orders from China in Dec., Apple do not count sales until it ships. And all those iPhones will ship in Apple 2nd quarter. 

Actually, the quarter ended even before the 31st, which still leaves your point valid.

But what I find curious is that Tim did slip a mention of record performance in China last quarter.  That could be what the previous poster is referring to.

Thompson

post #55 of 58
Quote:
Normally it's a quiet period before earnings and Apple doesn't make any comments as to what they're going to report.

There is no statutory requirement for a 'quiet period' before earnings announcements.

post #56 of 58
Quote:

Doomed indeed because Cook basically reaffirmed that Apple won't be making a cheap iPhone. I wonder when Wall Street will finally get it?

Wall St. is about return on investment, and sometimes short term. As such, they're not in a position to appreciate strategies that have a long term pay off, such as creating a sticky platform/ecosystem or high customer satisfaction/retention.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #57 of 58
With each new carrier, Apple is growing their iPhone business steadily, but if you compare it to Android, which is an amorphous "thing" that no single company takes all the profits from, then yes, "Android" is "growing faster." But Apple profits directly from each iPhone sold. iPhone profits are not split over dozens of companies.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

There is no statutory requirement for a 'quiet period' before earnings announcements.

Exactly. See the SEC's comments regarding a quiet period, which refers to the time between when a company files a registration statement is filed with the SEC and when the SEC approves it. There is no connection with earnings announcements.

http://www.sec.gov/answers/quiet.htm

What Rogifan intended to question, I believe, is whether the comments regarding China Mobile orders constitute "selective disclosure" - which can give rise to insider trading. The answer in this case is clearly no. An interview aired over a major news venue is a broad public disclosure. (Occasionally you will see a company announce some days in advance of a quarterly results release that it expects earnings to be higher or lower than previously expected in the marketplace. So long as that news is broadly disclosed, there's no problem.)

See: http://www.sec.gov/rules/final/33-7881.htm

In this current rule on "Selective Disclosure and Insider Trading" - effective in 2000, the SEC noted that "... technological developments have made it much easier for issuers to disseminate information broadly. Whereas issuers once may have had to rely on analysts to serve as information intermediaries, issuers now can use a variety of methods to communicate directly with the market. In addition to press releases, these methods include, among others, Internet webcasting and teleconferencing. Accordingly, technological limitations no longer provide an excuse for abiding the threats to market integrity that selective disclosure represents."

In other words, if the media and broad general public can obtain timely and near-simultaneous knowledge of a company development through today's communications, there is no selective disclosure nor opportunity for insider trading. As for those individuals who may become aware of undisclosed information, any trades they make must adhere to the provisions and restrictions of the rule.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's Cook 'incredibly optimistic' as China Mobile iPhone orders in multi-millions
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's Cook 'incredibly optimistic' as China Mobile iPhone orders in multi-millions