or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Play Movies & TV now available for iOS

Google Play Movies & TV now available for iOS

post #1 of 49
Google on Wednesday released an iOS version of the company's Google Play Movies & TV, granting users playback and streaming access to content purchased online or on an Android device.

Google Play Movie TV

Google Play Movies & TV for iOS offers a way for Google Play customers to view their content on Apple devices, including the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. As an added bonus, Chromecast owners can stream content to their televisions directly from an iOS device.

While the overall app design and user interface is much like the Android Google Play Store app, functionality of the iOS title is limited to content consumption. Users can sign in and browse through their collection of videos, but Google has opted not to activate purchases, possibly because Apple would get a percentage of each sale.

Instead, users must visit the Google Play website to buy movies and TV shows, which are then made available on the iOS app for streaming over Wi-Fi. Currently, the app does not allow offline viewing.

Google Play Movies & TV for iOS is a free 4.9MB download from the App Store.
post #2 of 49

Google you can keep it. No one wants you on iOS...hmm well maybe just Youtube...hmmm well maybe not....those annoying ads. I wish there was a decent alternative to Youtube.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #3 of 49
Are they serious, who would buy google version of stuff over iTunes since IOS is made for iTunes?
post #4 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Users can sign in and browse through their collection of videos, but Google has opted not to activate purchases, possibly because Apple would get a percentage of each sale.

Instead, users must visit the Google Play website to buy movies and TV shows, which are then made available on the iOS app for streaming over Wi-Fi. Currently, the app does not allow offline viewing.

Well, that's one way of circumventing the 30% cut.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #5 of 49

Clunky beyond belief. Androiders can have it. Non-starter for us iOSers.

post #6 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Clunky beyond belief. Androiders can have it. Non-starter for us iOSers.

Is it? I don't have any apps from Google installed on iOS. But even if I did, couldn't compare the quality as I don't have an Android lying around. I do have Andrea lying around, but she's asleep.
post #7 of 49
I'm sure some iOS peeps will use it but it seems it would make the transition to iOS easier for anyone who has bought content
post #8 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Google you can keep it. No one wants you on iOS...hmm well maybe just Youtube...hmmm well maybe not....those annoying ads. I wish there was a decent alternative to Youtube.

I use Jasmine and am happy with it. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jasmine-youtube-client/id554937050?mt=8
post #9 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Is it? I don't have any apps from Google installed on iOS. But even if I did, couldn't compare the quality as I don't have an Android lying around. I do have Andrea lying around, but she's asleep.

Meanwhile I have an Applea and she's always around doing work and stuff. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #10 of 49
Quote:

Google you can shove it. No one wants you on iOS...hmm well maybe just Youtube...hmmm well maybe not....those annoying ads. I wish there was a decent alternative to Youtube.

No offence ... but you had a typo ;)

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Inside Google! 

post #11 of 49
Curious. Why would Apple even let these Apps hit the App Store?

You can't buy Kroger gift cards at walmart and vice versa.

Why even give the enemy a place on your shelf when he wants to beat you? Makes no sense.
post #12 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

No offence ... but you had a typo 1wink.gif

'Shoving it' is what they're trying to do, no? Onto iOS users that is.
post #13 of 49
Quote:

Sadly, our world has been divided between 2 groups ... The Idiots and Everyone Else.

The 1st group know nothing but google it or grab a bag of pop corn, browse youtube and post shit ...

FWIW, I support developers who show off their Apps on Vimeo instead of youtube!

FYI .... http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-video-sites-alternatives-to-youtube/

And .... these guys are seriously after youtube! http://www.dailymotion.com

Inside Google! 

Inside Google! 

post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Are they serious, who would buy google version of stuff over iTunes since IOS is made for iTunes?

Mixed platform homes, perhaps. This might ease the pain of moving to iOS.
post #15 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Sadly, our world has been divided between 2 groups ... The Idiots and Everyone Else.

The 1st group know nothing but google it or grab a bag of pop corn, browse youtube and post shit ...

FWIW, I support developers who show off their Apps on Vimeo instead of youtube!

FYI .... http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-video-sites-alternatives-to-youtube/

And .... these guys are seriously after youtube! http://www.dailymotion.com

Even sadder yet is that a great many of those 'idiots' are iOS users, which Apple is partially to blame by pre-installing the youtube app for all those years.
post #16 of 49
Quote:

I am quite certain that Andrea's quality in any metric measured far surpasses Android's. 1biggrin.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am quite certain that Andrea's quality in any metric measured far surpasses Android's. 1biggrin.gif

ROTF! Nailed it!
post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Mixed platform homes, perhaps. This might ease the pain of moving to iOS.

Or if a movie or TV show is on sale on one and not the other. One might not welcome the choice but it's always good that there is one.
post #19 of 49
I just downloaded it. The splash screen says "Welcome, second class citizen. Please sign in to your Google account now, scum." Does anyone else get that?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Even sadder yet is that a great many of those 'idiots' are iOS users, which Apple is partially to blame by pre-installing the youtube app for all those years.

Unfortunately .... it's true!

Inside Google! 

Inside Google! 

post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsm View Post

Why even give the enemy a place on your shelf when he wants to beat you? Makes no sense.

They used to strike down apps for "duplicating system functionality" but they have opened things up more in recent years.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 49
Quote:

Because Apple is an hardware company and they are very happy that people use Google stuff on Apple devices 1wink.gif
post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I just downloaded it. The splash screen says "Welcome, second class citizen. Please sign in to your Google account now, scum." Does anyone else get that?

Ha..Ha..Ha..Ha..Ha..

post #24 of 49
Quote:

That's something i don't understand either.

post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarez View Post

Because Apple is an hardware company and they are very happy that people use Google stuff on Apple devices 1wink.gif

Eeeeeeeh, wrong answer. Don't pass go and don't collect $100.
post #26 of 49
Time for a new 1984 Apple campaign with Google being " the man." I swear that company is getting its tentacles into every aspect of our lives.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #27 of 49
Quote:

Huh?

Okie-dokie....

post #28 of 49

Quote:

No problem for me.  Download or don't. 

If I was considering moving to iPhone after having purchased a lot of Play content, knowing I could still play my stuff would make the decision easier and more logical.  Advantage: Apple.

Apple's also long allowed other competing companies' apps.  Like MS Office (which arguably helped save the company during their darkest days) - and which, even with the new i(OS)Works is on the way to iDevices.  And Adobe Lightroom and their movie editing stuff, Aperture and FCP notwithstanding.

My Q's the reverse - why not make Facetime, Apple Maps and iWork universally available?  iTunes for Windows is what got me into the Apple universe in the first place - and seeing their superior interface (back around iTunes 5 or so) is what led to my first Mac purchase.

Facetime could be the universal app that handles video calls, VOIP, messages, SMS, etc.  The world wants something where you just reach and touch whomever without wondering what ecosystem they're part of.  Google certainly wants to position Hangouts this way, and I imagine MS has a similar goal for Skype. 

Set standards, get best of breed products out wherever you can (there are halo effects as well), and influence the world in software and services the way the company does in product design and hardware excellence. 

My two cents.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #29 of 49
Wait, is anyone else seeing how this may be a tacit admission by Google that many of their users are leaving the Android platform for iPhone!?! I think it is! The online data doesn't lie, and who better than Google to see that they may have made a huge mistake with Android. It's certainly not making them money, and if millions and millions of people are using iPhones, they can be sure those people aren't going to be switching to Android. So if they can't own the platform where the people who actually USE their smartphones the most are hanging out, then their next best option is to at least have access to those folks by providing them with Apps! I think that's what we may be seeing here. Plus, if I was an ex-Android user who'd invested a lot into Google Play (downloading music and media, etc.), then I'd imagine I might also be willing to go on using Google Play on my awesome new iPhone, rather than having to go and rebuild that media library (handing my $$ to Apple rather than remaining a Google Play customer). So, I see Google's sudden interest in creating a lot of Apps for iPhone as them basically giving in, as in: "if you can't beat them join them"! Anyone else think that may be the case?
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengregg View Post

Wait, is anyone else seeing how this may be a tacit admission by Google that many of their users are leaving the Android platform for iPhone!?! I think it is! The online data doesn't lie, and who better than Google to see that they may have made a huge mistake with Android. It's certainly not making them money, and if millions and millions of people are using iPhones, they can be sure those people aren't going to be switching to Android. So if they can't own the platform where the people who actually USE their smartphones the most are hanging out, then their next best option is to at least have access to those folks by providing them with Apps! I think that's what we may be seeing here. Plus, if I was an ex-Android user who'd invested a lot into Google Play (downloading music and media, etc.), then I'd imagine I might also be willing to go on using Google Play on my awesome new iPhone, rather than having to go and rebuild that media library (handing my $$ to Apple rather than remaining a Google Play customer). So, I see Google's sudden interest in creating a lot of Apps for iPhone as them basically giving in, as in: "if you can't beat them join them"! Anyone else think that may be the case?

That could very well be the case for quite a few users, but it has been well documented that iOS users spend more money than Android users, so it would make sense for Google to offer media to them as well.
post #31 of 49

They should rename Google Play.

New name: Google PlaysForSure.

post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengregg View Post

Not really.  Google doesn't care what platform you use as long as you use their services.  Android was simply a vehicle that they could use to deliver those services.  Google doesn't care whether an iOS user or an Android user uses gmail, youtube, g+etc.  as long as it's being used.

post #33 of 49
If their platform is so awesome, why do they insist on working on iOS crap. And always finding a way to bypass paying apple for using their platform. Google sucks tail pipe which is why Wall Street loves to keep pushing such a crappy company higher and higher in the market.
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

If their platform is so awesome, why do they insist on working on iOS crap. And always finding a way to bypass paying apple for using their platform. Google sucks tail pipe which is why Wall Street loves to keep pushing such a crappy company higher and higher in the market.

Who in their right mind would be willing to give a 30% cut to someone just for handling the transaction? The storage and delivery is handled by Google.
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Who in their right mind would be willing to give a 30% cut to someone just for handling the transaction? The storage and delivery is handled by Google.

You think FootLocker sells shoes at the same price Nike gives it to them for?

post #36 of 49
Quote:

Both Apple and Google knows this app acts as an incentive for Android users to have access to there movies once they switch or start using iOS devices in parallel.
This is good news for Apple coz if there were users holding back the switch to iOS just because they own a lot of content this app solves that problem. With google they are good too coz they just got yet another service on iOS. Win win for both sides.
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

In my opinion it is targeted at users with both Android and iOs devices: it allows to buy on Google Play Movies and play everywhere. Just like Kindle app.
post #38 of 49
Quote:

Me too. It's the only Google service worth having on iOS, and they didn't create it just bought it.
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

You think FootLocker sells shoes at the same price Nike gives it to them for?

That's not even remotely similar.
post #40 of 49
The more, the merrier :-)

I hope this will lower the iTunes Movie prices!! Competition is good for the customer :-)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Play Movies & TV now available for iOS