or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone now represents 42% of smartphones owned in the US - NPD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone now represents 42% of smartphones owned in the US - NPD - Page 2

post #41 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


But it's an arbitrary divide. It's like saying people over 5'5" are more likely to own houses and cars and have a job. Little do we know the study includes children under 5' 5". That data skews the data for the <5'5" adults.

 

Now this complaint could be valid though I don't think your analogy is applicable because that study would be flawed for including a bad sample, not using a bad dividing line.  Ideally there would be a reason for choosing a separation point.  They could use the average size of a phone display as a good divider.  I don't know what that size is or whether the study considered that.

post #42 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Just because someone is 10yo doesn't mean you don't have a high-paying job and will millions of dollars saved and yet there aren't a lot of 10yos who fit that build.

 

I don't see where you're going with that.

post #43 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I don't see where you're going with that.

Exactly! But I can only lead a horse to water, I can't make it drink.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #44 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Exactly! But I can only lead a horse to water, I can't make it drink.

Instead of using sarcasm you could explain your unclear statement.
post #45 of 79

Yep...Apple is doomed and Tim Cook needs to be fired!

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #46 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Instead of using sarcasm you could explain your unclear statement.

I did. Twice. jungmark even provided a great analogy which you clearly ignored since you think an Android version 2.3 phone with a 3" display and 2009 HW being sold for $50 off contract is going to be used the same was an iPhone 5S or Samsung Galaxy S4 and not beyond some dividing line as a "feature phone" simply because it could technically connect to the internet even when you say that including all children in a list of home buyers under 5.5' is flawed.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #47 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I did. Twice. jungmark even provided a great analogy which you clearly ignored since you think an Android version 2.3 phone with a 3" display and 2009 HW being sold for $50 off contract is going to be used the same was an iPhone 5S or Samsung Galaxy S4 and not beyond some dividing line as a "feature phone" simply because it could technically connect to the internet even when you say that including all children in a list of home buyers under 5.5' is flawed.

It's not my problem if you can't understand the difference.
post #48 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

It's my problem that I can't understand the difference between a throwaway device that happens to run Android because it's a free OS and an iPhone.

You had a few grammatical and logical errors in your comment but I corrected them for you. You can thank me later.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #49 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
Nah: poor and uneducated people like Android.  The surveys and studies point that out in plain english.  There are exceptions but the general rule is rich/educated prefer iPhone.
 
But what about the 90,000,000 galaxy phones sold last year?  Those are just as expensive as iPhone. Yes. But with an Android phone you can easily put your illegal/free apps, music, movies on it.  It ain't easy to do that on the iPhone.  So yes they are willing to pay upfront for the phone but then they get apps/music/movies free.  Thus they are poorer.
 
I mean really, have you ever seen a rich person or celebrity using a Galaxy phone who's not get paid to use the phone?  I see tons of rich/celebrity types that use iPhones and they are not getting paid 1 cent from Apple. I go to the rich area shopping centers and its 90% iPhone users.  I go to ghetto areas then i see more Samdung and Motorola.
 
Also alot of Galaxy sales are to people who can't afford both a smartphone and tablet. Thus poorer.  If you have an iPadMini or iPad there really isn't any need to have a huge phone.  If you can afford both an iPad + iPhone you must be pretty decent money wise.  Thus many Galaxy owners can't afford both.  So they get a huge-ass phone and try to make it with a compromised product that is too big to be a phone and too small to be a tablet. 
 

 

 

Lol.  The NFL is streaming the Super Bowl to iOS devices because iOS users can't even afford a TV.

post #50 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You had a few grammatical and logical errors in your comment but I corrected them for you. You can thank me later.

Trust me, I'm not confused about that. But you're getting off track. You seemed to be trying to say that a study of short vs tall people, including children, buying houses was just as faulty as this study. The only way this study would be comparable is if they included flip phones or home phones. As it was performed it is valid. I'm very sorry that the iPhone got lumped in lesser phones.
post #51 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You had a few grammatical and logical errors in your comment but I corrected them for you. You can thank me later.

Trust me, I'm not confused about that. But you're getting off track. You seemed to be trying to say that a study of short vs tall people, including children, buying houses was just as faulty as this study. The only way this study would be comparable is if they included flip phones or home phones. As it was performed it is valid. I'm very sorry that the iPhone got lumped in lesser phones.

 

I think there is a much deeper point, which is that two different significant factors are being conflated as one causal factor. Assuming that the study accurately distinguishes data usage as a function of screen size, the observation is fine, but the implied causal link - that the larger screen is the reason for the greater data usage - is not necessarily correct.

 

The point being made in this thread is that screen size itself is a function of phone type. Cheap smartphones (little more than feature phones) tend to have small screens and those cheap phones probably use relatively little data for reasons other than their screen size. Customer demographics likely plays a large part in that wealthier customers are likely to use more data.  If we could assume there to be equal numbers of large-screen and small-screen cheap smartphones then this effect might balance, leaving the screen size as the determining factor, but that's not the case. Cheap smartphones almost exclusively reside in the small-screen bin and thus skew the data, leaving it as impossible to determine how much of the usage imbalance is due to screen size.

 

We also know from many studies that the iPhone, which is in the small-screen bin, accounts for more data per user (and more data overall) than Android phones, which further supports the conclusion of the study is flawed.

post #52 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercow View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
Nah: poor and uneducated people like Android.  The surveys and studies point that out in plain english.  There are exceptions but the general rule is rich/educated prefer iPhone.
 
But what about the 90,000,000 galaxy phones sold last year?  Those are just as expensive as iPhone. Yes. But with an Android phone you can easily put your illegal/free apps, music, movies on it.  It ain't easy to do that on the iPhone.  So yes they are willing to pay upfront for the phone but then they get apps/music/movies free.  Thus they are poorer.
 
I mean really, have you ever seen a rich person or celebrity using a Galaxy phone who's not get paid to use the phone?  I see tons of rich/celebrity types that use iPhones and they are not getting paid 1 cent from Apple. I go to the rich area shopping centers and its 90% iPhone users.  I go to ghetto areas then i see more Samdung and Motorola.
 
Also alot of Galaxy sales are to people who can't afford both a smartphone and tablet. Thus poorer.  If you have an iPadMini or iPad there really isn't any need to have a huge phone.  If you can afford both an iPad + iPhone you must be pretty decent money wise.  Thus many Galaxy owners can't afford both.  So they get a huge-ass phone and try to make it with a compromised product that is too big to be a phone and too small to be a tablet. 
 

 

 

Lol.  The NFL is streaming the Super Bowl to iOS devices because iOS users can't even afford a TV.

 

Your name and your statement are both logically incorrect, so at least you are consistent.

post #53 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

The NFL is streaming the Super Bowl to iOS devices because iOS users can't even afford a TV.

That's probably because people who have taste can't afford to look at a crap designed TV, and are therefore waiting on Apple to release one.
post #54 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I think there is a much deeper point, which is that two different significant factors are being conflated as one causal factor. Assuming that the study accurately distinguishes data usage as a function of screen size, the observation is fine, but the implied causal link - that the larger screen is the reason for the greater data usage - is not necessarily correct.

The point being made in this thread is that screen size itself is a function of phone type. Cheap smartphones (little more than feature phones) tend to have small screens and those cheap phones probably use relatively little data for reasons other than their screen size. Customer demographics likely plays a large part in that wealthier customers are likely to use more data.  If we could assume there to be equal numbers of large-screen and small-screen cheap smartphones then this effect might balance, leaving the screen size as the determining factor, but that's not the case. Cheap smartphones almost exclusively reside in the small-screen bin and thus skew the data, leaving it as impossible to determine how much of the usage imbalance is due to screen size.

We also know from many studies that the iPhone, which is in the small-screen bin, accounts for more data per user (and more data overall) than Android phones, which further supports the conclusion of the study is flawed.

I recognize that there are other factors that can influence data usage. I said so before and even suggested that other studies could observe those factors' effects. This study didn't look at those factors. There is nothing inherently flawed about this study.
post #55 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I think there is a much deeper point, which is that two different significant factors are being conflated as one causal factor. Assuming that the study accurately distinguishes data usage as a function of screen size, the observation is fine, but the implied causal link - that the larger screen is the reason for the greater data usage - is not necessarily correct.

The point being made in this thread is that screen size itself is a function of phone type. Cheap smartphones (little more than feature phones) tend to have small screens and those cheap phones probably use relatively little data for reasons other than their screen size. Customer demographics likely plays a large part in that wealthier customers are likely to use more data.  If we could assume there to be equal numbers of large-screen and small-screen cheap smartphones then this effect might balance, leaving the screen size as the determining factor, but that's not the case. Cheap smartphones almost exclusively reside in the small-screen bin and thus skew the data, leaving it as impossible to determine how much of the usage imbalance is due to screen size.

We also know from many studies that the iPhone, which is in the small-screen bin, accounts for more data per user (and more data overall) than Android phones, which further supports the conclusion of the study is flawed.

I recognize that there are other factors that can influence data usage. I said so before and even suggested that other studies could observe those factors' effects. This study didn't look at those factors. There is nothing inherently flawed about this study.

 

If you do not regard the study as implying correlation between the two parameters then technically you are correct, but in that case the study is simply pointless, rather than flawed. 

post #56 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

If you do not regard the study as implying correlation between the two parameters then technically you are correct, but in that case the study is simply pointless, rather than flawed. 

Yeah it's kind of pointless. The data is “low resolution" and, as we've covered, there are lots of other factors that would be beneficial to observe.
post #57 of 79
To all that say only the poor use Android, that is completely false. I work in one of richest cities in America. I work for a luxury line car dealership and everyday people get new phones and come to us to pair it with the Bluetooth system. My customers have both Android and iOS. I can say that 3 years ago it was mainly iOS. But the past 2 years we had a lot of our customers switch over to new Android phones. Android is now the majority of the devices by maybe 60%. Most were Samsung devices. I ask them why the change over and a lot say they like the bigger screen. I asked if they missed there iPhone, most said no. These are business men and house wives with a medium income of 185k a year with the high rollers coming in at 50k a month. If you think that is classified as "poor" then I'd like to see what you call "rich". BTW.... That city is Bethesda, MD.
post #58 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Phoney View Post

To all that say only the poor use Android, that is completely false. I work in one of richest cities in America. I work for a luxury line car dealership and everyday people get new phones and come to us to pair it with the Bluetooth system. My customers have both Android and iOS. I can say that 3 years ago it was mainly iOS. But the past 2 years we had a lot of our customers switch over to new Android phones. Android is now the majority of the devices by maybe 60%. Most were Samsung devices. I ask them why the change over and a lot say they like the bigger screen. I asked if they missed there iPhone, most said no. These are business men and house wives with a medium income of 185k a year with the high rollers coming in at 50k a month. If you think that is classified as "poor" then I'd like to see what you call "rich". BTW.... That city is Bethesda, MD.

 

I think the accusation (post #35) was that "poor and uneducated people like Android". Perhaps you are dealing with the uneducated, rather than the poor? The make of car might shed more light on that.

post #59 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I think the accusation (post #35) was that "poor and uneducated people like Android". Perhaps you are dealing with the uneducated, rather than the poor? The make of car might shed more light on that.

I highly doubt that my customers are uneducated. The DC metropolitan area ranks in the top 3 for education. If you search for car dealerships in Bethesda, MD their aren't a lot. You could probably figure it out if your " well educated".
post #60 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Phoney View Post


To all that say only the poor use Android, that is completely false. I work in one of richest cities in America. I work for a luxury line car dealership and everyday people get new phones and come to us to pair it with the Bluetooth system. My customers have both Android and iOS. I can say that 3 years ago it was mainly iOS. But the past 2 years we had a lot of our customers switch over to new Android phones. Android is now the majority of the devices by maybe 60%. Most were Samsung devices. I ask them why the change over and a lot say they like the bigger screen. I asked if they missed there iPhone, most said no. These are business men and house wives with a medium income of 185k a year with the high rollers coming in at 50k a month. If you think that is classified as "poor" then I'd like to see what you call "rich". BTW.... That city is Bethesda, MD.

Yeah... that statement is false. It needs to be reworded.

Instead of "only poor people use Android" you could say "poor people only use Android"

I'm speaking, of course, about unsubsidized smartphones around the world. That's how most smartphones are purchased... at full retail price.

If you're rich and you have $600 to spend on a smartphone... you have the choice of iPhone or Android.

However... if you're poor and you only have $80 to spend on a smartphone... Android becomes your only choice.

Apple's phones start at $450. So if your budget is anything less than that... you'll have to go Android.

Again... that's across the entire world with unsubsidized phones.

If you're a rich person living in a suburb of Washington DC... you can obviously afford any damn phone you want.

But poor people in other parts of the world don't have that choice... Android is their only option in that price range.
post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Yeah... that statement is false. It needs to be reworded.

Instead of "only poor people use Android" you could say "poor people only use Android"

I'm speaking, of course, about unsubsidized smartphones around the world. That's how most smartphones are purchased... at full retail price.

If you're rich and you have $600 to spend on a smartphone... you have the choice of iPhone or Android.

However... if you're poor and you only have $80 to spend on a smartphone... Android becomes your only choice.

Apple's phones start at $450. So if your budget is anything less than that... you'll have to go Android.

Again... that's across the entire world with unsubsidized phones.

If you're a rich person living in a suburb of Washington DC... you can obviously afford any damn phone you want.

But poor people in other parts of the world don't have that choice... Android is their only option in that price range.

Your statement is sensible. That is mainly true to a point. You will always have some of the poor saving up just to buy their iPhone or high end Android phone. That happens a lot more than people think. "Yeah I got a nice phone but can I borrow some money for lunch?"
post #62 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Phoney View Post

Your statement is sensible. That is mainly true to a point. You will always have some of the poor saving up just to buy their iPhone or high end Android phone. That happens a lot more than people think. "Yeah I got a nice phone but can I borrow some money for lunch?"

Oh yeah... there will always be exceptions.

But my point was... Android phones range from "cheap" to "expensive"

While Apple phones only come in "expensive"

That's what you're faced with when you get ready to buy a smartphone.

If people could save their money... there wouldn't be a "cheap" phone market. But that's a discussion for another day 1smile.gif
post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Oh yeah... there will always be exceptions.

But my point was... Android phones range from "cheap" to "expensive"

While Apple phones only come in "expensive"

That's what you're faced with when you get ready to buy a smartphone.

If people could save their money... there wouldn't be a "cheap" phone market. But that's a discussion for another day 1smile.gif

Agreed.
post #64 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

I'm predicting 50%+ share by the end of 4th Qtr 2014:

 

...

Maybe even before the end of 2014, since the study didn't count activations during the holidays; which according to many sources (analysts) was spectacular for apple.

post #65 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Phoney View Post

... You could probably figure it out if your " well educated".

Some irony there.
post #66 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Phoney View Post

... You could probably figure it out if your " well educated".

Some irony there.


ROTF!
post #67 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post
 

 

Your name and your statement are both logically incorrect, so at least you are consistent.

 

It was an absurd reply to an absurd post.  And just so you know, names  aren't ever logically correct.  i.e. there's not logical reason a rock is called a rock.  It's just something that was decided upon.

post #68 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

At lunch right now. Bartender says he prefers Android over iPhone. Instead of ignoring him, I challenge him to tell me why. Well he can download whatever he wants. When I realized he primarily downloaded FREE apps, I had a great laugh. He confirmed the free apps. I am tempted to loan him my old 4S just to show him there is more to it. On his own he praised the iPhone camera being superior than Android cameras. This is great.

The hopelessly uninformed and blind Android love based off of incorrect assumptions regarding free this or that, being able to download whatever you would like, etc. is something that an Apple user such as myself seems to have to exhaustingly encounter far too frequently from Android users touting their phone's alleged superiority. I am sure you had quite a lot of fun toying with this bartender, but I must admit I am curious as to what you would say in retort to his comments? Obviously, any app that is free on Android is also free on the App Store, or at least would have a superior paid app. I also use iDownloader extensively, so any uninformed Android user clinging to ignorant assumptions born from an unfamiliarity with an Apple device and its strengths is easily silenced. But I think it would be fun to hear from fellow Apple fans who have to engage in this "debate" from time to time as well, if you have a minute.

post #69 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

yes, balance is necessary. My wife and I have a policy NEVER to use our iPhones when we are at dinner/lunch.  We do check if its a phone call, since it might be an emergency.  But no texting, emails, ect.   Its ridiculous when we see families at a nice restaurant (or any restaurant) all playing with their phones instead of you know TALKING to each other!

Well, when your only hope of going out to dinner includes taking the 1-2 year old kids along since there is no sitter, an iDevice makes a 1.5-2 hour dinner out possible. You can't discount the opportunity to enjoy "that" time unless you have been there. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Don't think it matters; just look around you. There's your market share. Where I live and walk, predominately iPhone.

No doubt, brother.

I have worked in many different places. Schools , colleges, universities.. many different retail chains, private business/industries...courthouses...I could go on but I am only trying to back up your point. Everywhere I am it is that way. And I have worked at all the above mentioned since the first iPhone came out. (And for 25 years before that too)

Now, I will say that there is a marked difference in iPhone to android between the hourly workers at lower end retail stores/businesses and the managers at these places. Management are predominantly iPhone. Then maybe half or so of the low paid workers have androids. They NEVER brag about android.

Its amazing how many students have iOS devices at high schools, too.  Maybe the reason I don't see many android devises at high schools is because the kids are too embarrassed to be seen with them. I know I would have been.

Android is like a stigma - not dissimilar to having to wear sears tough skin jeans instead of Levis back in "79 because your too poor. Teen years are tough enough on kids, why make it unbearably tough and embarrassing by having to be seen with android devices.

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply
post #70 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

No doubt, brother.
I have worked in many different places. Schools , colleges, universities.. many different retail chains, private business/industries...courthouses...I could go on but I am only trying to back up your point. Everywhere I am it is that way. And I have worked at all the above mentioned since the first iPhone came out. (And for 25 years before that too)
Now, I will say that there is a marked difference in iPhone to android between the hourly workers at lower end retail stores/businesses and the managers at these places. Management are predominantly iPhone. Then maybe half or so of the low paid workers have androids. They NEVER brag about android.
Its amazing how many students have iOS devices at high schools, too.  Maybe the reason I don't see many android devises at high schools is because the kids are too embarrassed to be seen with them. I know I would have been.
Android is like a stigma - not dissimilar to having to wear sears tough skin jeans instead of Levis back in "79 because your too poor. Teen years are tough enough on kids, why make it unbearably tough and embarrassing by having to be seen with android devices.

Excellent view on this phenomena. Guess Mr. Gator moves in different circles, as he mostly sees Android devices. Oh well, not important
post #71 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Excellent view on this phenomena. Guess Mr. Gator moves in different circles, as he mostly sees Android devices. Oh well, not important

Kind of an entitlement thing then? That probably explains it. The upper class vs the workers, the kids born into wealthy families vs those born to poor parents. In my circle of friends and business clients there's a few 1%'ers and quite a few hourly workers, some that even count their pennies. No need to weep for them. Most are pretty happy no matter what smartphone they carry, or even lack of one altogether.

Personally I'd be more embarrassed if I looked down on them simply due to their platform choice. That's a sad commentary IMO.
Edited by Gatorguy - 1/20/14 at 6:29am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #72 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Excellent view on this phenomena. Guess Mr. Gator moves in different circles, as he mostly sees Android devices. Oh well, not important

Kind of an entitlement thing then?

Not exactly. But you're obviously entitled to your opinion.
post #73 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Not exactly. But you're obviously entitled to your opinion.

Not exactly so kinda sorta then? Do you look down on those Android users as not quite smart enough to be iPhone owning managers and the poor and middle class, and particularly their children, should be embarrassed by their possessions or would RogueDog's opinion be more of an outlier rather than the typical view of an iDevice owner?

EDIT: I'll take your sudden silence as an indication that on further reflection it's a view you might personally not be proud of? I've always had a lot of respect for your opinions even if we sometimes disagree, just as I do for the overwhelming majority of regulars here.
Edited by Gatorguy - 1/20/14 at 6:49am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #74 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Not exactly. But you're obviously entitled to your opinion.

Not exactly so kinda sorta then? Do you look down on those Android users as not quite smart enough to be iPhone owning managers and the poor and middle class, and particularly their children, should be embarrassed by their possessions or would RogueDog's opinion be more of an outlier rather than the typical view of an iDevice owner?

EDIT: I'll take your sudden silence as an indication that on further reflection it's a view you might personally not be proud of? I've always had a lot of respect for your opinions even if we sometimes disagree, just as I do for the overwhelming majority of regulars here.

Heavens no. I wouldn’t look down on anyone, for whatever reason others might. But I don’t think I should have to ‘choose between the 2 options’ you present to me. I found RogueDog's opinion to be merely a reflection on what others see, including myself.

There was an article here, subscribing to the fact that iPhone users are better educated than Android users, earning more money, having better jobs and all that. Now I couldn’t find the article so I Googled it (yes, I used Google, but with DDG) First hit:
http://androidforums.com/lounge/396955-iphone-users-more-educated-than-android-users.html

First post:
“They asking for it now”

So I thought: “hey, that’s a auto-corrupt, happens everyone. Let me read scroll down:

“Considering that the most popular apps on the Iphone are games, and with Android, it's customs ROM's, programs, and other "techie" stuff. I think they have it backwards.”

Thinking this other poster must have a limited view (as I probably do a well) I thought I ought to read post #3:

“This will confuse them.... I can't stand chianti, frequently pass wind loudly in public, and could put letters after my name if I felt the need to boast”

Hmm. Perhaps I need more than a few posts. Nope:

“Considering that most iphone users are preteen girls, I would have to disagree.”

You get the picture: this is the wrong site to get any insightful info from. Then again, I won’t ever find a useful site on the subject. 2nd hit was a link to “Android's 'weak gravity' means users drift away to iPhone …”. 3rd one: “iOS users spend more money online than Android users; Study ...”

There shouldn’t be any differentiating factor on education or income based on smartphone usage. Yet, there is the ‘matter of what we see around us’.

When I pick up a friends’ kid from (a higher education) school, all I see is kids as well as their parents use an iPhone. When I pick up a friends’ kid from a lower education school the yard is filled with Android users. I say Android, because there aren’t many BB users out there (still, some) and this might be due to costs of the device. But when I look at the phone deals telcos sell the monthly payments (and the resulting total cost) are pretty much alike, so why do they choose Android?

Whatever the reason is, I don’t know, I just see what I see. But since I move in my own circles this obviously is limited and isn’t a reflection of the world. YWMV.

As for your edit: I popped out for a run and just saw your addition. I do this a lot, posting and closing, which indeed isn't helping to maintain a discussion - sorry about this. And here I go again, off to dinner and probably won't sign in for a few hours...
post #75 of 79
double post
post #76 of 79
Phil, what surprised me was you're giving essentially a high-five to something like this:

"Now, I will say that there is a marked difference in iPhone to android between the hourly workers at lower end retail stores/businesses and the managers at these places. Management are predominantly iPhone. Then maybe half or so of the low paid workers have androids. They NEVER brag about android."

"Its amazing how many students have iOS devices at high schools, too. Maybe the reason I don't see many android devises at high schools is because the kids are too embarrassed to be seen with them. I know I would have been.
Android is like a stigma - not dissimilar to having to wear sears tough skin jeans instead of Levis back in "79 because your too poor."

Agreed that the more you earn the more likely you are to buy an iPhone rather than Android, whicj could be chalked up to a few different reasons. FWIW too income tends to follow the level of education so one begets the other rather than two unconnected metrics.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #77 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Agreed that the more you earn the more likely you are to buy an iPhone rather than Android, whicj could be chalked up to a few different reasons. FWIW too income tends to follow the level of education so one begets the other rather than two unconnected metrics.

Some could say that higher educated people buy the iPhone because they're better educated. That they earn more money because of their education is another logical side effect.

I don't know but there does seem to be a pattern, if you will, when looking at the smartphone choice people make.
post #78 of 79
Just to throw my two cents in there, Gator and Phil: I am from a working-class, hourly wage-earning, "lower-income" family wherein both my wife and I enjoy our IPhones, MacBooks and an iPad we share between the two of us. I would never need to save a couple bucks with settling for an Android device because I am still using a very capable iPhone 4. I guess that sums up one of the most important of the copious number of reasons I choose iOS; the comforting knowledge that investing in an Apple product means that it will remain an effeciently-running, effective and intuitive device for its many years of service. Not that I am upper-class or earn a high salary, necessarily. My iPhone 4 still works like a dream, allowing us the opportunity to purchase a quality iPad this past holiday season instead of having to needlessly upgrade my smartphone.
post #79 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

^ post

Thank you for a real world tale on why you use iOS/iPhone/iPad.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone now represents 42% of smartphones owned in the US - NPD