or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › FTC commissioner says in-app purchase punishment against Apple 'has no foundation'

FTC commissioner says in-app purchase punishment against Apple 'has no foundation' - Page 2

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

That makes a lot of sense. Instead of doing something reasonable like using iTunes Gift Cards to control spending or actually take control of what your kids are doing, let's blow $200 on another device.

Actually it was $175 plus 4 digital games, so I saved quite a bit.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by mstone View Post
I'm not sure why Apple chose not to allow multiple user accounts on iOS which perhaps would have prevented the problem in the first place.

No, it wouldn’t have. Explosive presumptions there.

Anyway, I have a philosophy that any problem that can be fixed with $100 is not really a problem. $32.5 million is just pocket change for Apple. No big deal. 

“Anything should be allowed as long as the punishment is arbitrarily meaningless to the accused!” :no:

Perhaps I do not understand English as well as I thought I did, but to me what you have written is both ironically bizarre and completely ridiculous because there is no data or research to support your definitive proclamation. Perhaps you should look up the words , "perhaps", "presumption", "arbitrary" and "explosive" in the dictionary because your usage looks like the result of a poor quality computer translation from some other language.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

You know I maybe old fashion but I tend to like to hold and touch and play with things before I buy them. If I know exactly what I want and used it before buying on line is no problem. But I always worries about your situation, what if I bought the wrong software or found it does not work as I expected, you really have not way of returning someone you down loaded. Actually this has always been a problem with software, once the shrink rap is broken they will not take it back even if it does not work for you. Most state have consumer laws which requires the selling of the product to take the product back with in a period of time especially anything which is hardware. Software seems to have been able to get around these laws.

You are basically screwed if you buy software and it wrong or does not work. The only way to get a refund is to fight for it and hopes they step up and take care of you. 

This is not an Apple only issue that is for sure.

I agree. It's too bad Apple didn't implement a free trial policy in the App Store. I think this would have led to higher quality apps instead of just lots of apps (obviously marketing wanted the latter number) as developers would be forced to convince you their app is worth buying to keep past the X day trial. Also might have helped curb against the store being flooded with free lite and pay pro versions of the same titles...
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm not sure why Apple chose not to allow multiple user accounts on iOS which perhaps would have prevented the problem in the first place. Maybe they wanted all parents to buy a separate iPad for each child. Who knows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, it wouldn’t have. Explosive presumptions there.

Clearly they do need multiple iTunes accounts. Or a family account. Parent buys digital gift cards for child accounts, can share all purchases with children and visa versa. Maybe children have no credit card ability but can redeem gift cards eg. What to do when they graduate to their own? There need to be fair rules regarding that transfer, obviously. Build it into Parental Controls for goodness sake. Me and my fiancée share my account for our music, primarily, but also calendars (as SJ attempted to sort-of demonstrate once) but we don't have the same bookmarks, notes, contacts, reminders, docs, books, apps, podcasts etc. so one of us must sync to a mac still. These problems plague us day in, day out, and I'm fed up of it.
post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Wanted to thumbs up you, but 'I'm over my limit for rating content. Please try again later.'

I found out that this requires Java to be enabled.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I found out that this requires Java to be enabled.

I use the iPhone app.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

You're absolutely right lets start by removing the current administration

Yes, because the last one was so much better. Starting a war to funnel billions of dollars to private American companies,  drum up bogus government lawsuits against democrat supporting entities, the list goes one. It would help if people didn't treat politics like a sporting event. 

post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I use the iPhone app.

In which case you should use the Mobile Site, option at the bottom of page. Thing is, then you won't be able to read the comments in the Thumbs-Up, nor see the counter.

AI, designed by ex-MS employees.

Or

AI, where trolls make more sense than the design of the site
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

In which case you should use the Mobile Site, option at the bottom of page. Thing is, then you won't be able to read the comments in the Thumbs-Up, nor see the counter.

AI, designed by ex-MS employees.

Or

AI, where trolls make more sense than the design of the site

I do use the mobile site option. Still doesn't allow me to add reputation.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

DeWitt's article is worth a read--I had no idea how absurd this was.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/01/15/apple-ftc-kid-apps/

Note the last paragraph about law firm QE:

"Fun fact: Before she was appointed to the FTC, Chairwoman Ramirez was a partner in the Los Angeles office of Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan."

Rattyuk's post on the article explains that:

"Let's spell it out. QE are both Samsung and Google's lawyers used extensively against Apple."

So the FTC chairwoman formerly worked for Samsung and Google? It's no smoking gun, but it makes you wonder about a bias or backroom nudge.

I think I remember this being a point of discussion about 6 months ago, and I was assured by many on the internet blogs that this apparent conflict of interest would never become an issue.

post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

I think I remember this being a point of discussion about 6 months ago, and I was assured by many on the internet blogs that this apparent conflict of interest would never become an issue.

Obviously it is an issue. Youze wuz right.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #52 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Clearly they do need multiple iTunes accounts. Or a family account. Parent buys digital gift cards for child accounts, can share all purchases with children and visa versa. Maybe children have no credit card ability but can redeem gift cards eg. What to do when they graduate to their own? There need to be fair rules regarding that transfer, obviously. Build it into Parental Controls for goodness sake. Me and my fiancée share my account for our music, primarily, but also calendars (as SJ attempted to sort-of demonstrate once) but we don't have the same bookmarks, notes, contacts, reminders, docs, books, apps, podcasts etc. so one of us must sync to a mac still. These problems plague us day in, day out, and I'm fed up of it.

Doesn't Apple still have a minimum age limit for an iTunes account?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • FTC commissioner says in-app purchase punishment against Apple 'has no foundation'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › FTC commissioner says in-app purchase punishment against Apple 'has no foundation'