or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Owners of 2011 MacBook Pros report critical GPU failures, system crashes

Owners of 2011 MacBook Pros report critical GPU failures, system crashes - Page 4

post #121 of 133
Hi same problem here in Germany, Macbook pro Early 2011, bought june 2011, now after 2 1/2 Year failure! There is a petition you can sign, still 400 People are missing to get it done:
http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/timothy-d-cook-replace-or-fix-all-early-2011-macbook-pro-with-graphics-failure
post #122 of 133

Let Apple do something about their quality control problems they are confronted with like consumers like yourself. A dam shame!

post #123 of 133

What is your response sir?

post #124 of 133

I presume you do not understand English.

post #125 of 133
Same just happened to my 15" MBP 2011 - This clearly is a hidden hardware flaw and should be fixed by Apple, warranty or no warranty !!!
post #126 of 133

Hello all.

Going through the back and forth with Apple currently over my late 2011 MBP.

I would like to assemble names and case numbers of all those affected in the UK.

In my personal case, I'm claiming that I'm covered under Sales of Good Act 1979 [which is one of the many EU + UK pieces of legislation that covers you ON TOP of your Apple warranty], in specific, what it says about "conforming to contract" and being "of satisfactory quality". The fact that the latest Apple recall on the 2011 iMac's with faulty AMD chips was extended for computers up to 3 years old in my eyes sets the precedent for what is deemed an "acceptable lifespan" for a computer of this value and marketed in such a way. As it's past 6 months since purchase, it's down to me as the consumer to prove that it is defective.

The hardest part is proving that the latent defect was there, but not apparent, when I bought the computer. It is becoming clear that there is a known "pattern of failures" in the 6550/6750 GPUs which indicates a class issue here, which is a different kettle of fish. I would argue that because of the history of this specific known issue with this model's predecessors that the failure of hardware is due to Apple being negligent in respect of design, manufacture and marketing.

Edited by Ian Batt - 3/27/14 at 2:12pm
post #127 of 133
Originally Posted by Ian Batt View Post

I would like to assemble names and case numbers of all those affected in the UK so that a legal proceedings can be initiated.

Enjoy spending thousands on something that will net you absolutely nothing.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #128 of 133

I'm on my 3rd logic board and now out of Apple Care. The Apple "genius" claimed they'd used a new logic board (implying that the replacement done by the authorized service centre wasn't new). I'm hoping it lasts as long as the original, which would give me 5 1/2 years total. 

If not, I'll probably take my son's 2012 MBP. He's not as invested in Mac software as I am and was looking 

post #129 of 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankeeD View Post

I'm on my 3rd logic board and now out of Apple Care. The Apple "genius" claimed they'd used a new logic board (implying that the replacement done by the authorized service centre wasn't new).

Most companies use a combination of new and refurbished parts when for repair service.

post #130 of 133
Early 2011 15" MBP just two weeks outside of apple care warranty and guess what happened last night???? yup you guessed it, this exact problem.
post #131 of 133

Apple uses refurb parts I know this for a fact.

post #132 of 133

Stumbled upon this thread and am sweating a little as I have this exact machine....

post #133 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Stumbled upon this thread and am sweating a little as I have this exact machine....

Mine hasn't died, but I decided to limit it to integrated graphics for most tasks whenever possible. Obviously some things such as external displays won't work that way (no hardware path). If it dies I'll replace it, as I do have to take it with me.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Owners of 2011 MacBook Pros report critical GPU failures, system crashes