or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Owners of 2011 MacBook Pros report critical GPU failures, system crashes

Owners of 2011 MacBook Pros report critical GPU failures, system crashes - Page 5

post #161 of 164

Hello All - I think this is what is happening to my Macbook Pro. It is a late 2011 15".

But, I put my Serial Number in the link above and it did not say anything if this computer was affected?

post #162 of 164

I have a late 2011 model and my computer started crashing a couple days ago. Everything is usually working fins. Fans aren't loud or anything but suddenly the computer just turns off!  I don't have $310 for the fix. What is the best way to try and solve my problem?

post #163 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtainsclosing View Post

I have a late 2011 model and my computer started crashing a couple days ago. Everything is usually working fins. Fans aren't loud or anything but suddenly the computer just turns off!  I don't have $310 for the fix. What is the best way to try and solve my problem?

Check if Apple will repair it for free:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

If they won't, there are services on eBay that can fix it a bit cheaper but it may not last long, the price listed isn't the full cost:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macbook-Pro-A1286-820-2915-A-15-2011-Logic-Board-Repair-New-GPU-Reball-/291122531359

You can also sell it as spares on sites like eBay.
post #164 of 164

Update on my macbook pro. First the good news. Apple reimbursed me for the 310$ I spent with them replacing my logic board - so I qualified as part of the repair program.

Now the not so good news. The machine crashes to a white screen with nice message that I should it any key to reboot about once a week. This never happened previous to 10.10 but seems to be my new normal.  I am running 10.10.3

Prior to the logic board replacement I was down to maybe 20 minutes between crashes so once a week is positively relaxing.

Still an amazing machine... just a tiny bit less amazing.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Owners of 2011 MacBook Pros report critical GPU failures, system crashes