or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's Cook hands out first China Mobile iPhones at launch event [ux2]

Apple's Cook hands out first China Mobile iPhones at launch event [ux2]

post #1 of 55
After years of speculation and rumors, the iPhone finally launched on the world's largest wireless carrier China Mobile on Friday, with Apple CEO Tim Cook and China Mobile Chairman Xi Guohua on hand to personally pass out the first units to customers.

Update: Subsequent on-the-scene reports from CNBC's Eunice Yoon note ten customers will receive iPhones signed by China Mobile Chairman Xi Guohua and Apple CEO Tim Cook. A photo from the reporter's Twitter feed is embedded below.

China Mobile
Source: Eunice Yoon via Twitter

A photo posted to Twitter on Thursday by user "Jacobi" -- spotted by AppleInsider reader Jim -- shows what appears to be a fairly crowded China Mobile outlet that has reportedly started sales of Apple's iPhone. While not much can be seen in the photo, a number of camera lenses are also in the shot, suggesting the event is being covered by local media or China Mobile's in-house PR team.

China Mobile is slated to mete out the first iPhone 5s units to an unknown number of preorder customers on Friday, local China time. The telecom has been accepting reservations for the device since late December.

In a possible indication of early demand, a recent report claimed Apple partner carrier Foxconn shipped some 1.4 million iPhone 5s units to China Mobile to cover January's orders. It is unclear if the allotment is bound for existing reservation fulfillment or projected demand.

China Mobile
Source: @Jacobi via Twitter

According to Bloomberg, China Mobile announced iPhone-specific plans earlier this week and will only be offering the handset alongside its most expensive data tier. To be eligible for a fully subsidized iPhone, customers must sign a two-year contract worth 588 yuan, or roughly $97, per month.

Analyst projections for 2014 see the China Mobile deal driving an extra 12 million iPhone sales for the full 2014 calendar year. In comparison, Apple sold a combined 9 million iPhone 5s and 5c units when when the two smartphones launched worldwide in September of 2013.

Update 2: Apple CEO Tim Cook also tweeted a picture of his appearance at China Mobile's iPhone launch event (embedded below). According to Bloomberg, Cook was asked whether Apple was working on a larger-screened version of its handset. He gave an expectedly cagey reply.

"We never talk about future things," Cook said. "We have great things we are working on but we want to keep them secret. That way you will be so much happier when you see it."

January 17, 2014
post #2 of 55
They'll be collector's items I would imagine. At least these folks are more enthusiastic than Wall Street.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #3 of 55
Fairly crowded does not sound good. But since Cook and the press is there, it would figure to be controlled.
Bottom line
Cook has not made a public statement like this for 14 months. It is logical to think that he would not make the remarks without solid information of preorders. We will know in a few hours. Seems like a very important event in judging Cooks credibility.
post #4 of 55
Originally Posted by Flabingo View Post
Fairly crowded does not sound good. Seems like a very important event in judging Cooks credibility.

Such concern.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #5 of 55
And thus, began the conquest of China...
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #6 of 55
Quote:

Fairly crowded does not sound good. But since Cook and the press is there, it would figure to be controlled.
Bottom line
Cook has not made a public statement like this for 14 months. It is logical to think that he would not make the remarks without solid information of preorders. We will know in a few hours. Seems like a very important event in judging Cooks credibility.

I hope you'll stay up for the outcome and let us know the instant you have a judgment locked in.
post #7 of 55

Warp speed engaged....

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #8 of 55

China is rapidly becoming a first world country. Their scientific research and manufacturing is bringing them to the forefront of world recognition. I think USA citizens, in general, think of China as a slave labor communist dictatorship but in reality there are a lot of middle class people in China. China even has many billionaires so they are starting to rival the US as a world power. Did you know that Ferrari's 4th largest market is China?  The first three are USA, UK, Germany. So it should be no surprise that China Mobile would expect a huge acceptance of Apple iPhones, at least in the cities. In the countryside, I imagine ,it is a different story, sort of like the US.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #9 of 55
the Chinese learned from the Russians you can't beat america but you sure can buy it
post #10 of 55
Quote:

Seems like a very important event in judging Cooks credibility.

when has his credibility ever been in doubt?
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #11 of 55
I wish there was more info about the goings-on. (Wish some one was doing a live stream, or something)
post #12 of 55
Amen. This is important
post #13 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

I wish there was more info about the goings-on. (Wish some one was doing a live stream, or something)
Ted has sent out some Tweets.
post #14 of 55
Quote:

Amen. This is important

Perhaps you are new.

Anything Apple do is doomed to fail by WS and pundits.

Only the ordinary men in the street always buck the trend by buying Apple's products in huge numbers.
post #15 of 55
Twitter user Jahangir (@jnaina) has tweeted a lot of photos from today's launch at these links:

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/40174455@N00/11990457436/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40174455@N00/sets/72157639843977186/

Big turnout with lots of fanfare.
post #16 of 55
Thank you I will sleep much better tonight because of your post. I will not take my sleeping pill.
post #17 of 55

deleted redundanct

post #18 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

Only by idiots who don't quest Google founder street cred but challenge Cook's ability to run Apple, never mind running all the back-end for manufacturing/distribution/etc., relationships for the past 16 years.

post #19 of 55
Title:
Customers rush China Mobile stores for iPhone launch

Article:
We found a picture of some Apple store on launch day that actually looks fairly packed.

This is what's known as hard-hitting journalism.. Wait for the aha moment.
post #20 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnbiz View Post

Twitter user Jahangir (@jnaina) has tweeted a lot of photos from today's launch at these links:

Looks like TC had an incredibly good time.
post #21 of 55
Quote:

Fairly crowded does not sound good.

Well, keep in mind that these are basically invitation-only events. Only 10 people who pre-registered on the website were invited to pick up iPhones (as reported by the NYT), all the others will receive them via courier.

As there was no business to be made for scalpers and nobody could really buy something on the spot... "fairly crowded" does sound quite OK.

Edited by dreyfus2 - 1/17/14 at 3:07am
post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnbiz View Post

Looks like Phil Schiller is there with Cook.
post #23 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

Only like every day on CNBC and by stupid financial "analysts".
post #24 of 55
"Nee-how'd you like an iPhone?"
post #25 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

"Nee-how'd you like an iPhone?"

Brilliant!
post #26 of 55
Quote:
"We never talk about future things," Cook said. "We have great things we are working on but we want to keep them secret. That way you will be so much happier when you see it."

That is soo true 1smile.gif
post #27 of 55
Leave it to the New York Times to put a negative spin on this. Probably why AAPL is down pre-market. 1rolleyes.gif

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/18/technology/apples-latest-foray-into-china-gets-a-weak-response.html?partner=yahoofinance&_r=0

Reminds me of the new reporting when the iPad mini came out. The Bloomberg and WSJ's reported no crowds or lines at Apple stores making it sound like no one wanted the product. Which we all know was BS.
post #28 of 55
To post on Twitter they'd have to bypass the great firewall of China.
post #29 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Leave it to the New York Times to put a negative spin on this. Probably why AAPL is down pre-market. 1rolleyes.gif

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/18/technology/apples-latest-foray-into-china-gets-a-weak-response.html?partner=yahoofinance&_r=0

Reminds me of the new reporting when the iPad mini came out. The Bloomberg and WSJ's reported no crowds or lines at Apple stores making it sound like no one wanted the product. Which we all know was BS.

EDIT: and Wall Street Journal. 1rolleyes.gif

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/external/wsj/SIG=12gbrmtj2/*http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/01/17/china-mobile-iphone-packages-not-cheap/?mod=yahoo_hs
post #30 of 55
The tone of the NYT article will be the tone many authors will take for the several days if not weeks. It is easier for authors to be negative than positive since negativity gets picked up and spread around more quickly and widely. China Mobile is a big deal no matter what authors try to portray. Competitors are nervous because the have to compete with Apple on another carrier. This means the competitors will be dropping the prices of their phones in attempts to sell more phones. There margins will get hit. Apple will not drop prices. A rant is being cut off now! 😁
post #31 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Wanted to thumbs up you, but 'I'm over my limit for rating content. Please try again later.'

I t might just me you can't thumbs up, I get a lot of the same comment when folks try ... I must be blackballed ... 1biggrin.gif
post #32 of 55

Apple stock down almost 1% pre-market. Nice work NYT & WSJ.

post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I must be blackballed ... 1biggrin.gif

post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Well, keep in mind that these are basically invitation-only events. Only 10 people who pre-registered on the website were invited to pick up iPhones (as reported by the NYT), all the others will receive them via courier.

As there was no business to be made for scalpers and nobody could really buy something on the spot... "fairly crowded" does sound quite OK.

If this was an invitation-only event, it is beyond incompetent that the NY Times left that fact out of their story.

Edit: and the WSJ is more misleading reporting of misinterpreted figures from Lorraine Luk.

So the two former "papers of record" are now both a disgrace to journalism.

"Invitation-only" should mabe be "reservation-only," according to PED at Apple 2.0, whic has a running discussion about the perfidy of the NYT and the WSJ.
Edited by Flaneur - 1/17/14 at 8:01am
post #35 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones View Post

the Chinese learned from the Russians you can't beat america but you sure can buy it

Apple expects much more success in China than they've had in Russia.

BTW, China Mobile is reportedly offering the iPhone 5s free with a 24-month contract?

EDIT: Got it now. Different plans with different out-of-pocket fees. That "free" one doesn't look like a smart move.
http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/16/tim-cook-celebrates-china-mobiles-iphone-launch/
Edited by Gatorguy - 1/17/14 at 6:28am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Their anti-Apple agenda is puzzling. It’s perhaps because a substantial portion of their readership (as evidenced by a typical comments section) is anti-Apple too. Many of them come through as teeth-gnashers who would love to own, but can’t afford, Apple products.

Sadly, the NYT has become quite the rag when it comes to tech reporting. No wonder Pogue fled. (As did Mossberg from WSJ).

post #37 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Their anti-Apple agenda is puzzling. It’s perhaps because a substantial portion of their readership (as evidenced by a typical comments section) is anti-Apple too. Many of them come through as teeth-gnashers who would love to own, but can’t afford, Apple products.

Sadly, the NYT has become quite the rag when it comes to tech reporting. No wonder Pogue fled. (As did Mossberg from WSJ).

I can't think of a particular reason that the NYT would be anti-Apple tho. There may not be any city on earth with a higher concentration of iDevice users than New York.
post #38 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Such concern.

It's actually classic concern troll FUD.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #39 of 55
post #40 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I can't think of a particular reason that the NYT would be anti-Apple tho. There may not be any city on earth with a higher concentration of iDevice users than New York.

Click-bait is maybe the obvious answer. After all, we've all read it, and we're discussing it, aren't we?

As to 'concentration' of iPhones in NYC, do you have any data? Not some random web link that's the result of a Google search, but one that puts into context NYC data vis-a-vis other US metros?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's Cook hands out first China Mobile iPhones at launch event [ux2]