or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Cortana,' Microsoft's Siri competitor, to go public in April - report

'Cortana,' Microsoft's Siri competitor, to go public in April - report

post #1 of 82
Following in the footsteps of Siri and Google Now, Microsoft looks to be on track to release its own personal digital assistant --?dubbed Cortana --?later this spring.

Cortana

Cortana will bow in beta form on Nokia's Lumia devices in April, according to a report from Microsoft watchers MSFTnerd. The Siri competitor will feature the voice of Jen Taylor, the same actress who played the eponymous artificial intelligence companion in Microsoft's blockbuster Halo franchise.

Unlike competitive offerings from Apple and Google, Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft is said to be planning a rollout that extends beyond mobile devices. After jumping from Windows Phone to iOS in the fall of 2014, Cortana will makes its way to the company's Xbox and Windows platforms next year.

Windows users seeking a way to get an early glimpse at the technology can do so in Microsoft's Bing Translator app for Windows. The publication says Microsoft has already begun to roll out Cortana-derived improvements to the app's speech recognition system.

Cortana was first unveiled last year, and is expected to form an integral part of Microsoft's future device interfaces. Based on technology created for the company's Bing search engine, outgoing Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer wrote in a memo that Cortana-like technology will play a key role in a future "service-enabled shell."

"Our UI will be deeply personalized, based on the advanced, almost magical, intelligence in our cloud that learns more and more over time about people and the world," he wrote, adding that it will "broker information among our services to bring them together on our devices in ways that will enable richer and deeper app experiences."
post #2 of 82
HER.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 82
"Cortana" sounds like a synthetic shoe material, or maybe a new model of car, not a lovable female voice assistant.

But then she's just conceived of as a "service-enabled shell." Are these guys maybe tone deaf or what? Maybe I should "Bing" that: "Microsoft tone deaf" . . .

They're Zuned, unless they get someone with taste working there. Or Longhorned.
post #4 of 82
Magical, LOL. If she says "Contact your system administrator" then nothing has changed.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #5 of 82

Clippy reincarnated!

"Looks like you're trying to make a call, would you like some help with that?"

post #6 of 82

They do realize "Cortana" goes insane, right?

- Jasen.

post #7 of 82

What the ...?!!! That's my GF's picture there!

ROFLMAO

On a more serious note ... Cortana, what is BSOD?

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #8 of 82
Quote:
 Cortana will bow in beta form on Nokia's Lumia devices in April...

Surely that should be: "Cortana will blow in beta form on Nokia's Lumia devices in April..."

post #9 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

- Jasen.

And then gets killed.

Excellent choice for a Microsoft phone A.I.

(For those unaware, Cortana is the name of the Master Chief's artificial intelligence companion that assists him in the Halo game series)
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
post #10 of 82
You're likely to get long, detailed responses as she doesn't have that many people to talk to.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #11 of 82
D
Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post

Surely that should be: "Cortana will blow in beta form on Nokia's Lumia devices in April..."

Well, technically, you have to bow to blow, so it could be construed correct.
post #12 of 82

And the male voice is going to be called Durandal? Or Tycho?

Matyoroy!
Matyoroy!
post #13 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

(For those unaware, Cortana is the name of the Master Chief's artificial intelligence companion that assists him in the Halo game series)

Well then SteamOS can have a voice assistant based on the creepy AI from Portal, GLaDOS.

Sony will fall back on its back catalog of movies and find 2001: A Space Odyssey in its MGM collection.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #14 of 82
Quote:

- Jasen.

Aren't all women a little bit insane? Lol

Besides, what male would love a half nude digital female dancing around on their desktop!

Wait, isn't there an app for that!
post #15 of 82
Who names stuff at Microsoft? Their names are always terrible.
post #16 of 82

I am looking forward to this. IMO, Apple has really dropped the ball with Siri. The performance is poor (Apple's online efforts have been consistently subpar, IMO). Additionally, it still isn't on Mac OS X.

Will be good to see MS put some pressure on Apple to upgrade their performance in this area.

post #17 of 82
Microsoft innovating and leading the pack, as usual. LOL
iPhone 4S + MacBook Pro
iPhone 4S + MacBook Pro
post #18 of 82

Microsoft is consistently terrible at naming their products/services.

post #19 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Quote:

- Jasen.

Aren't all women a little bit insane? Lol

Besides, what male would love a half nude digital female dancing around on their desktop!

Wait, isn't there an app for that!

Someone put this up the other day. It bears repeating:

post #20 of 82
I guess Clippy and Bob never worked out. Let's try out a different assistant each decade. lol
post #21 of 82
Magical ?! Where have I heard that before.
post #22 of 82
... and of course she's blue.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #23 of 82

Cortana will visually fit right in with the BSOD. Will we rename Windows malware to The Flood? Who am I kidding...Windows is The Flood.

You won't delete files anymore, you'll take a gravity hammer to them.CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 96

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

post #24 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Cortana sounds better than Microsoft Voice Assistant for Windows Phone.

post #25 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well then SteamOS can have a voice assistant based on the creepy AI from Portal, GLaDOS.

Now THAT would be cool!

Why is nobody calling their A.I. Hal?
post #26 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

That's insulting!

Remember:

Women have MANY faults,
Men have only TWO.
Everything they say,
And everything they do.

1wink.gif
post #27 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Who am I kidding...Windows is The Flood.

You won't delete files anymore, you'll take a gravity hammer to them.CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 96

LOL!

I'm too scared to even consider what happens if you try and do a secure delete.
post #28 of 82
Quote:
"Cortana" sounds like a synthetic shoe material, or maybe a new model of car, not a lovable female voice assistant.
But then she's just conceived of as a "service-enabled shell."
They're Zuned, . . . Or Longhorned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
Magical, LOL. If she says "Contact your system administrator" then nothing has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Clippy reincarnated!

"Looks like you're trying to make a call, would you like some help with that?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Quote:

Someone put this up the other day. It bears repeating:

You all get ten points from me.

[If it were possible for me to award them.]

For me Microsoft is an endless source of wonder, shock, disbelief, and entertainment.

post #29 of 82
Not quite sure why but that picture makes me think of the pre cogs from Minority Report.

Me: Show me google search results for restaurants near me:
Cortana: Here are your Bing! search results for restaurants near Redmond, WA
Me: Uh, no, I asked for GOOGLE results for restaurants near ME.
Cortana: Here are Bing! search results for restaurants in MAINE.
ME: Uh, no, GOOGLE search for restaurants near where I am now.
Cortana: There are no restaurants near Wil.i.am at this time.
Me: forget it.
Cortana: I do not know what you mean by "forget it"
Me:
post #30 of 82

It makes a certain amount of sense to use the name and image of Cortana. They already own the rights. It's a fairly unique name, avoiding most issues with real people's names. And the character from Halo already has a lot of positive emotion associated with it.

But they also only have one shot to get this right. If they pull a Zune, Vista, or Windows 8 with this one they will destroy a lot more than the ability to use the name without triggering negative emotions, I suspect they'll also damage the Halo franchise, and possibly everything associated with it, like Xbox—the one real bright spot at Microsoft right now.

This all makes me wonder if anyone is taking advantage of IBM's developments in Watson.

post #31 of 82

Voice of Uma Thurman, too?

btw: "almost magical" doesn't cut it

post #32 of 82
Cortana! Reeks Microsoft
post #33 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

It makes a certain amount of sense to use the name and image of Cortana. They already own the rights. It's a fairly unique name, avoiding most issues with real people's names. And the character from Halo already has a lot of positive emotion associated with it.

But they also only have one shot to get this right. If they pull a Zune, Vista, or Windows 8 with this one they will destroy a lot more than the ability to use the name without triggering negative emotions, I suspect they'll also damage the Halo franchise, and possibly everything associated with it, like Xbox—the one real bright spot at Microsoft right now.

This all makes me wonder if anyone is taking advantage of IBM's developments in Watson.

Even if it's a flop, there'll still probably be a couple of interesting aspects worth Apple / Google taking note of.

post #34 of 82

I'm going to a blue bulb and my GF a wig just like that photo! :)

Best.

post #35 of 82
Scariest female name ever.
post #36 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd0019 View Post

Who names stuff at Microsoft? Their names are always terrible.

Actually I believe Bungie picked Cortana's name. Bungie was the initial creator of the Halo universe. Of course Microsoft recognized something good and bought Bungie.
post #37 of 82
One more thing for Ballmer's replacement to deal with. It's like Ballmer is making it harder and harder for the new CEO to have any latitude to improve things, thereby making it harder to find anyone who will take the job.

The way things are going MS will hire from within and announce that Steve Ballmer will take the open CEO position, and break dancing will ensure everywhere.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #38 of 82
Reminds me of the Morgana fortune telling machine from the 70''s.

http://mechanicalarcade.com/morgana.htm
post #39 of 82
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Microsoft can’t make anything popular on their own. They have to piggyback the success of others.

Originally Posted by G-News View Post
And the male voice is going to be called Durandal? Or Tycho?

Knowing Microsoft, they’ll call it Penitent Tangient.

Originally Posted by bmd0019 View Post
Who names stuff at Microsoft?

In this case, Bungie.

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post
So you are complaining about Apple fans on a site called AppleInsider......and you are on this site because?......

Mental illness.

post #40 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Voice of Uma Thurman, too?

btw: "almost magical" doesn't cut it

This is Microsoft, that should be "almost works"!

Hear that?  That's the sound of answers being added to Siri's humor repertoire when asked about Cortana.  Can't wait!

/

/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Cortana,' Microsoft's Siri competitor, to go public in April - report