or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Massachusetts lawsuit accuses Apple of misusing customers' personal info
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Massachusetts lawsuit accuses Apple of misusing customers' personal info - Page 3

post #81 of 88

Are these 3 people a selfie of our times or a new low in the gene pool?

When shopping on-line or in an Apple Store, I have to verify by zip or when on-line then the 4 digit security code on CC.

post #82 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTE APPLE View Post

Are these 3 people a selfie of our times or a new low in the gene pool?
When shopping on-line or in an Apple Store, I have to verify by zip or when on-line then the 4 digit security code on CC.
See this post
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/161627/massachusetts-lawsuit-accuses-apple-of-misusing-customers-personal-info/40#post_2459900
If a salesperson asks for your zipcode when you present him/her with your credit card it almost certainly is for marketing purposes. It would be useless for verification because the zip code isn't displayed to the salesperson nor does the CC processor ask for it unless it's a keyed in credit card number. That's sometimes done when the card isn't physically available to the salesperson or won't swipe. Even in that case tho they ask for more than the zipcode.

An unattended gas pump is a special use case where a zipcode is the verification method CC companies have stipulated and that the law makes an allowance for.
Edited by Gatorguy - 1/20/14 at 12:58pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #83 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

No they don't. They did for a while but stopped that like 2-3 years ago. Probably in part due to the fact that they had way more online transactions to cull such info from so they didn't need the stores to get them anything. 

Yes they do. As of July 2013 when I was last employed there, they absolutely did. It was never required and wasn't tied to credit card validation. If the customer was foreign, we just put 99999. As I said before, it's simply to aid in real estate location. We wanted to get a good idea where the traffic was coming from in a given store so we could better serve those customers locally if possible. For example, when you have a store in Arlington, Va and over a number of years, a sizable and growing percentage of customers are driving up 95 from zip codes in the Woodbridge/Lorton/Burke area, it would probably be a good idea to explore real estate opportunities in that area. When the Potomac Town Center development in Woodbridge finally materialized and lined up with retail strategy, in went a new Apple store. It's really that simple.
post #84 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTE APPLE View Post

Are these 3 people a selfie of our times or a new low in the gene pool?
When shopping on-line or in an Apple Store, I have to verify by zip or when on-line then the 4 digit security code on CC.
See this post
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/161627/massachusetts-lawsuit-accuses-apple-of-misusing-customers-personal-info/40#post_2459900
If a salesperson asks for your zipcode when you present him/her with your credit card it almost certainly is for marketing purposes. It would be useless for verification because the zip code isn't displayed to the salesperson nor does the CC processor ask for it unless it's a keyed in credit card number. That's sometimes done when the card isn't physically available to the salesperson or won't swipe. Even in that case tho they ask for more than the zipcode.

An unattended gas pump is a special use case where a zipcode is the verification method CC companies have stipulated and that the law makes an allowance for.

 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point. The zip code is not useless for verification just because the vendor doesn't know what it should be. The zip code is sent with the card number to the processor - the transaction is declined by the processor if the zip code is incorrect - just like at the gas pump.

post #85 of 88
The zipcode is not collected and sent to the CC processor when the card is presented in person for signature verification AFAIK. I can't think of a single instance I was required to supply it except for an unattended gas pump. Online they need even more.

Are you saying stores typically need your zip-code for verification? Lowe's has asked me but when I decline to give it to them the charge goes right thru anyway. So guess what? Must be for internal uses because it sure wasn't needed for CC validation.

EDIT: I wanted to add that thru several businesses and at least three different CC processors (soon to be only one thank goodness) we've never been required to get a customers zip-code for CC authorization purposes IF the card was presented in person and it properly swiped. Not once that I can recall.
Edited by Gatorguy - 1/21/14 at 5:47am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #86 of 88
I suggest that everyone find out where these idiots (Adam Christensen, Jeffrey Scolnick, and William Farrell) live and work and start sending them thousands of letters in the mail and also find out their email addresses and start spamming them.
post #87 of 88
For filing a lawsuit? That's a crazy reaction.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #88 of 88
Originally Posted by enforcer View Post
I suggest that everyone find out where these idiots (Adam Christensen, Jeffrey Scolnick, and William Farrell) live and work and start sending them thousands of letters in the mail and also find out their email addresses and start spamming them.

 

Nope, that’s illegal.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Massachusetts lawsuit accuses Apple of misusing customers' personal info