or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Schiller 'unfollows' Tony Fadell and Nest after Google acquisition

Apple's Schiller 'unfollows' Tony Fadell and Nest after Google acquisition - Page 3

post #81 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Probably because you didn't make any arguments - you merely insulted Schiller, made a bunch of ridiculous assertions, and then regurgitated the usual troll memes regarding walled Apple gardens and open, benevolent Google. Your post didn't actually deserve a response at all, but TS nicely summed up what most of us thought of it.
So what is factually incorrect, Schiller didn't insult Instagram then and now taken a subtle jibe at nest owners?

Because that is fact baby, and in my books that makes him a snob. Tim cook is just as bad saying "we're not into the junk market" so who is he insulting with this statement, windows phone users, Android users, blackberry user, everyone bar Apple users?
post #82 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzip View Post

This Schiller is a typical Apple snob executive, he tried to humiliate Instagram by publicly insulting the company after they created an Android app. Now in a more subtle way he is doing the same to Nest. Business people know to grow a product it needs to appeal to the mass market, making it exclusive to Apple is just a ridiculous concept. Google believes in open standards and alliances and can use the expertise in Nest to drive these to define the smart homes of the future, which will benefit all, not just Apple users.

Google should be congratulated as from what I see, they are certainly making our lives better, more than anything I've seen from Apple in a long while.

Apple won't invest in adapted contact lenses to help diabetes sufferers because they would only work for iPhone users, this would be seen as unethical.

This walled garden approach will only continue while develops keep supporting it, and that's why the stock is going to continue on shaky ground. It's not about the hardware anymore.

This is about as wrong a person could be in this short of a blurb. Congrats at being the worst at being right!

Google should have been shut down and the entire board thrown in jail after the street view / private data theft escapade...but we'll just pretend they're "helping people". That's better.

post #83 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It's like arguing with communications majors that they don't understand applied engineering. You'll never get through to them.

I'm just amazed how in the span of a week Tony Fadell has become the next Steve Jobs. All because of a sleek looking expensive thermostat designed by Fred Bould.

post #84 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleworks View Post

Why is this news?

It's weekend forum fodder.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #85 of 157
The truth

Nah, just stop posting here.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #86 of 157
So will I need to log into google+ to change my thermostat settings now?
post #87 of 157
Quote:

So what is factually incorrect, Schiller didn't insult Instagram then and now taken a subtle jibe at nest owners?

Because that is fact baby, and in my books that makes him a snob. Tim cook is just as bad saying "we're not into the junk market" so who is he insulting with this statement, windows phone users, Android users, blackberry user, everyone bar Apple users?

Please...he's not insulting users. Where do you get that?

Do you shop at Walmart, dollar stores, thrift shops? If you answer "no" to any of the above, you're a snob.
post #88 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleworks View Post

Why is this news?

Thank you. Why IS this news? No other worthwhile new around.
post #89 of 157
Quote:

This Schiller is a typical Apple snob executive, he tried to humiliate Instagram by publicly insulting the company after they created an Android app. Now in a more subtle way he is doing the same to Nest. Business people know to grow a product it needs to appeal to the mass market, making it exclusive to Apple is just a ridiculous concept. Google believes in open standards and alliances and can use the expertise in Nest to drive these to define the smart homes of the future, which will benefit all, not just Apple users.

Google should be congratulated as from what I see, they are certainly making our lives better, more than anything I've seen from Apple in a long while.

Apple won't invest in adapted contact lenses to help diabetes sufferers because they would only work for iPhone users, this would be seen as unethical.

This walled garden approach will only continue while develops keep supporting it, and that's why the stock is going to continue on shaky ground. It's not about the hardware anymore.

Google believes in "open standards and alliances?" Is that so? In that case, why did they support Flash, which is 100% proprietary? Why was Maps on iOS so far behind Android's version of Google Maps while Apple was still with Google? If they believed in open standards and alliances, they would have let Apple implement turn-by-turn and other features that Android users enjoyed for years. They didn't think they were getting their fair share out of the deal. 

post #90 of 157

what Apple should really try to buy is Bould Design Company. Bould teaming up with Ive would be great.

post #91 of 157
Quote:

Quote:

Probably because you didn't make any arguments - you merely insulted Schiller, made a bunch of ridiculous assertions, and then regurgitated the usual troll memes regarding walled Apple gardens and open, benevolent Google. Your post didn't actually deserve a response at all, but TS nicely summed up what most of us thought of it.

So you regard the fact that he deleted his Instagram account and stopped following Fadell on Twitter as insulting, and that it makes him a snob. Well no, that just makes you either strangely over-sensitive or, more likely, just a mindless parrot of the Android community snob claims made back in April. The latter, I suspect.

Tim Cook was commenting on the junk market. If you believe yourself to be part of it then go ahead and feel insulted. You won't find any sympathy here. 

post #92 of 157
Quote:

So you regard the fact that he deleted his Instagram account and stopped following Fadell on Twitter as insulting, and that it makes him a snob. Well no, that just makes you either strangely over-sensitive or, more likely, just a mindless parrot of the Android community snob claims made back in April. The latter, I suspect.

I agree. People unfollow people all the time on twitter. ALL THE TIME. It's not even newsworthy let alone "an insult". If he wanted to insult someone, you would know it.

I just chalk it up to another case of hate from the haters.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #93 of 157
Quote:

Why not counteract my arguments rather than replying in a childish way?

You're posting all nonsense and lies, and try masquerading it as "arguments"?  Now that's funny.  Come up with an actual, bonafide argument and we'll discuss.  Based on all your prior posts, I won't hold my breath.  You're not worth the effort.  I'm sure you're used to people telling you that.

Quote:

That troll perfectly fit my prior post of reason "A".  Honestly, the quality of trolls nowadays has really gone downhill.

Edited by sflocal - 1/18/14 at 2:46pm
post #94 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

what Apple should really try to buy is Bould Design Company. Bould teaming up with Ive would be great.
I'm sure they could poach designers from it if they wanted to.
post #95 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

i guess this is what 9to5Mac thinks is hard hitting journalism. Mark Gurman is already whining on twitter because others are reporting this without giving him credit. As if it's so difficult to check who someone follows on twitter (or that no one else would have thought to do what he did). 1rolleyes.gif

But these day's reporter's don't check much of anything.

post #96 of 157

Mr. Schiller Is Da Man!

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #97 of 157
Quote:

Interesting. As far as the Apple mention, I'm a bit skeptical that they use outside ID firms for any product design. Maybe for some model making, although I've seen job reqs for Model makers on Apple's site in the past, so my guess is Apple does that in house too.

Apple has used outside design and engineering firms throughout its history. Lest we forget, Fadell started off that way.

post #98 of 157
Quote:

I'm just amazed how in the span of a week Tony Fadell has become the next Steve Jobs. All because of a sleek looking expensive thermostat designed by Fred Bould.

Too many people mistake *design* as the most essential component of a product. It is one of the important components but is not the singular component responsible for the success of a product. But I understand that non-engineers and non-designers tend to buy into what the technorati writes.

The Nest could be just as successful with a different design or any number of alternative designs. But if there was no concept for the Nest, would Bould have designed one with the same functionality?

post #99 of 157
Quote:

It's like arguing with communications majors that they don't understand applied engineering. You'll never get through to them.

"Applied engineering"? How would you distinguish that from engineering?

post #100 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Apple has used outside design and engineering firms throughout its history. Lest we forget, Fadell started off that way.
Yes I know. Ive was hired from a consulting firm. But Apple's most successful products weren't designed by a 3rd party.
post #101 of 157
Quote:

Quote:

"Applied engineering"? How would you distinguish that from engineering?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_engineering_(field)

post #102 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

It bothers me that every other day I read about some new Google innovation (Glasses, smart contact lenses, floating stores, etc.). Granted, some of these things may be silly or dead ends, but they do capture newsprint and more importantly, mindshare. Deserved or not, the general public gets the message that Google is the future while Apple is left perfecting its past products. Google is winning the PR war. What this means in the long run I cannot say, but I do find it disquieting.

The general public doesn't get that message or, at least, that's not the only message that it gets. You're more sensitive to certain news because you want to believe Apple is better than Google. The fact is, both companies get positive and negative press. Any assessment to the contrary is a lie.

post #103 of 157
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_engineering_(field)

So ... it's for those who cannot make it as engineers. Interesting.

post #104 of 157
Quote:

Yes I know. Ive was hired from a consulting firm. But Apple's most successful products weren't designed by a 3rd party.

That's actually an impossible statement to make. Some components of most Apple products have been designed by a 3rd party. Please don't make absolute statements when you don't know the facts.

post #105 of 157
Quote:

That's actually an impossible statement to make. Some components of most Apple products have been designed by a 3rd party. Please don't make absolute statements when you don't know the facts.

Just reading the history of the iPod itself would change someone's mind about how much Apple relies on 3rd parties.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #106 of 157
Quote:

So ... it's for those who cannot make it as engineers. Interesting.

Tim Cook might disagree.
post #107 of 157
A thermostat is a glorified On/Off switch. Apple could make a better one for a lot less than $3.2B.
Most people are missing the point of this purchase. The key to it is OpenADR and how this can be used to redirect power usage.
post #108 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias Schulkin View Post

The Nest is cool, but the Webee is what I'll be investing in. Not as invasive, and definitely better A.I. http://igg.me/at/webee-smart-home-automation/x/5944165

I don't see how a Boss can replace a thermostat in the home. It looks like a very inelegant solution to me.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #109 of 157
Fot those who say Apple should have bought Nest...Get real!
Apple could create a smart thermostat in its sleep that would open up a can of whip a** on Nest.
IMHO, I felt Google bought this company for the hype. It looks good I guess to Wall Street and investors. But lets be real, you really think Google will make its money back on that thing?
They could have gotten an OEM in Korea to make them a knock off for far less.
post #110 of 157

I have a feeling that Tim is upset after secretly not being able to buy Nest over Google. Tony has already worked for Apple and from one of his recent interviews (too lazy to find it) it seems like he doesn't want to go back there. 

post #111 of 157
Quote:

I'm sorry, I'm the most liberal Guardian reading, humus eating North Londoner but your post is rubbish

My wife bought an Android phone so now I'm single...
post #112 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't see how a Boss can replace a thermostat in the home. It looks like a very inelegant solution to me.

Unless it's Big Boss or Solid Snake!

post #113 of 157
Quote:

Wow. Apple doesn't sell components. Apple sells products. All (within the 10-15 yrs) were design in house.
post #114 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deewin View Post

I have a feeling that Tim is upset after secretly not being able to buy Nest over Google. Tony has already worked for Apple and from one of his recent interviews (too lazy to find it) it seems like he doesn't want to go back there. 

Doubtful. If Apple wanted Nest, Nest would be part of Apple.
post #115 of 157
Quote:

Please. That's like saying the lumber yard is responsible for the design of my house because they supplied most of the materials and components used in it.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #116 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple has a very poor track record of spending billions on acquisitions. The most expensive one listed on Wikipedia is still NeXT for $404,000,000 from 17 years ago. There are plenty of acquisitions have no known amount attributed but looking at the names it's possible all of them combined are well under what Google paid for Nest.

post #117 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple has a very poor track record of spending billions on acquisitions. The most expensive one listed on Wikipedia is still NeXT for $404,000,000 from 17 years ago. There are plenty of acquisitions have no known amount attributed but looking at the names it's possible all of them combined are well under what Google paid for Nest.

"Poor track record"? That's a funny way of saying Apple doesn't overspend on acquisitions.
post #118 of 157
Tony Fadell is a traitor. And Google just got ripped off.....AGAIN!!! 3 BILLION?! For Nest...Really? I could understand buying Samesong or Pokia for 3 billion, but NEST? Wow. How's that Motocrapa aquisition going for ya, anyhow?
post #119 of 157
Quote:

"Poor track record"? That's a funny way of saying Apple doesn't overspend on acquisitions.

1) I thought it was nicer way of saying "There is zero history..."

2) Overspending can't be assessed without a huge grain of salt. That's like when people Apple's products are overpriced.
Edited by SolipsismX - 1/18/14 at 9:14pm

post #120 of 157
Quote:

what if Tony Fadell didn't want to go back to Apple? It's obvious if Apple had bought Nest they wouldn't have kept it as a stand alone product/division so where would Fadell go?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Schiller 'unfollows' Tony Fadell and Nest after Google acquisition