or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple provides iOS 7.1 beta 4 to developers

Apple provides iOS 7.1 beta 4 to developers

post #1 of 32
Apple on Tuesday released the fourth beta of iOS version 7.1 to developers with a fix for a message sending bug, while other issues from previous versions remain unaddressed.

iOS 7.1 beta 4

The new version comes just two weeks after the release of iOS 7.1's third developer preview, and is now available to download from Apple's developer website and over-the-air on test devices. People familiar with the update told AppleInsider that beta 4 sports build number 11D5134c, and ships alongside Xcode 5.1 build number 5B90f.

A bug that previously caused messages to show a failure message immediately after sending is believed to have been fixed. The Bluetooth stack is said to remain an area of concern, however, as 32-bit apps reportedly still do not function properly on 64-bit devices such as Apple's all-new iPad Air and flagship iPhone 5s.

Xcode, for its part, is said to have received a significant number of updates in its latest beta incarnation. Interface Builder has reportedly seen a number of tweaks and performance improvements, notably a decrease in CPU and system memory utilization when drawing storyboards on Mac OS X 10.8.

Applications being built for the Mac App Store which require a provisioning profile reportedly may not build correctly or may crash at launch with a "Permission Denied" error in the latest beta, requiring developers to manually select a different build setting. In addition, it is said that developers attempting to simulate iOS versions earlier than iOS 6.1 in Mavericks may experience performance issues and could stop responding to the computer's hardware keyboard.

Apple is believed to be preparing iOS 7.1 for a March release.
post #2 of 32

Is there a way to search and find an app by name on the iOS device and delete it yet?!  iOS file and app management is a DISASTER!

post #3 of 32

settings-general-usage then you can delete any app from there.

post #4 of 32
Notes app still has the same visual bug with the gap between the date and the first line in your note going from too large to too small. That needs to be fixed. Let's hope they've fixed the scrolling note bug. Interesting slightly new visual on the "> slide to unlock" thing.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfuste View Post

settings-general-usage then you can delete any app from there.

That's not exactly what he wants. I'm assuming he has lots of apps. At which point going into Usage would be a chore.
post #6 of 32
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
iOS file and app management is a DISASTER!

Not really.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not really.

Actually it's somewhat the case, at least for me. While not a complete disaster, I've found it to be frustrating to do what the OP has described.

post #8 of 32
How about addressing an issue with the 5s slowing to snail pace at time when opening apps?
Closing apps and it leaves the app showing at the bottom?
Apple, these need addressing!
post #9 of 32
Someone on MacRumors says that Safari crashes less and tabs refresh a lot less. Yea!
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy2 View Post

How about addressing an issue with the 5s slowing to snail pace at time when opening apps?
Closing apps and it leaves the app showing at the bottom?
Apple, these need addressing!

Is this happening with the beta?
post #11 of 32
Quote:

Is there a way to search and find an app by name on the iOS device and delete it yet?!  iOS file and app management is a DISASTER!

To find an app, it's easy in iOS7 to swipe down the display with 2 fingers to reveal a search field and keyboard, then just type a bit of what you're looking for, whether it's an app, a contact or a song. If looking for an app, you'll see the name of its containing folder.

Do you really not know how to delete an app? Touch and hold the app icon until it (and all others) begins to wobble, then click on the little (x) to delete it. When you're done deleting and moving app icons, press the Home button.

Edited by Cpsro - 1/20/14 at 11:58am
post #12 of 32
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Someone on MacRumors says that Safari crashes less and tabs refresh a lot less. Yea!

Apparently no images exist on the ENTIRE INTERNET of someone snapping their fingers.

Imagine one here.

post #13 of 32
No not beta, Ios7 and current 7.04?
You telling me you haven't noticed an issue when closing apps the screen shot goes leaving the app still showing at the bottom and a blank section?
Doesn't happen all the time but a fair but!
So many issues with iOS7 it's not funny.. Bit like releasing a game, cod, BF4 and then not working correctly, sign of the times perhaps?!
post #14 of 32
Once again I'm sitting on money to buy an iPad, but with iOS 7 a disaster of bugs and GUI sickness, I don't feel like I want one any more. Sad. iPad Air is wasted on iOS 7.
post #15 of 32
Quote:

To those that insist that iOS simply must have a Finder, perhaps.

But the average person doesn't put a zillion apps on their devices. Or if they do they organize a bit so they can find things. Or simply put up with a bit more work as just part of the game. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

To find an app, it's easy in iOS7 to swipe down the display with 2 fingers to reveal a search field and keyboard, then just type a bit of what you're looking for, whether it's an app, a contact or a song. If looking for an app, you'll see the name of its containing folder.

Do you really not know how to delete an app? Touch and hold the app icon until it (and all others) begins to wobble, then click on the little (x) to delete it. When you're done deleting and moving app icons, press the Home button.

That's too much work. We simply must be able to search and then hold down on the results list to delete. This is vital. Second only to quick reply and having an accessible file system. It might even be more important than those

post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Once again I'm sitting on money to buy an iPad, but with iOS 7 a disaster of bugs and GUI sickness, I don't feel like I want one any more. Sad. iPad Air is wasted on iOS 7.

If this is where you go to decide then yes it is a disaster. Because folks around sites like this love to crap talk like it's candy. Rarely do they talk about what they like because that's just as not fun. 

If you want an iPad, get it, use it and decide for yourself if the system works for you, the GUI sucks etc. That's why they give you two weeks to return it (assuming you get it from Apple) and no open box charge. 

post #18 of 32
Quote:

I use iOS 7 on my Air and 5. It's not a disaster of bugs for me and the UI is just fine. The only problem I have is Safari crashes which supposedly are fixed in 7.1
post #19 of 32
Quote:

That's silly. iOS 7 isn't bothering anyone actually using it.

post #20 of 32
Quote:

I use iOS 7 on my Air and 5. It's not a disaster of bugs for me and the UI is just fine.

I use it on an iPhone 4 and it *IS* a disaster. I assume it's because I'm using ancient hardware and I accept that. I appreciate Apple letting me try it on my old device to see how it works. What I do NOT appreciate is being refused an option to go BACK to iOS6 now that we know how poorly this old phone works with iOS7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

That's silly. iOS 7 isn't bothering anyone actually using it.

Of course it is. Don't be ridiculous. Lots of people are having lots of problems. Some are serious, some are not. The problems do not make Apple evil nor iOS7 bad, but denying their existence *IS* bad. It makes you look like you're trying to hide something, and people see right through that.

post #21 of 32
Quote:

I use iOS 7 on my Air and 5. It's not a disaster of bugs for me and the UI is just fine. The only problem I have is Safari crashes which supposedly are fixed in 7.1

I hope someone will try posting on AI with an iPad mini retina and see if Safari really is fixed. Or is it [crash] a Huddler-Safari issue?
post #22 of 32
I figure it to be released like march as I said last year Febuary is not a likely month to release, I hate the still chance of a crash on my 5 even if 7.0.1 reduced chance and the 3/4 gb required to update to 7.0.4 preventing me to, can someone tell me an alternative way to update that does not require that much space and take 3 hours when plugged into computer?
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I use it on an iPhone 4 and it *IS* a disaster. I assume it's because I'm using ancient hardware and I accept that. I appreciate Apple letting me try it on my old device to see how it works. What I do NOT appreciate is being refused an option to go BACK to iOS6 now that we know how poorly this old phone works with iOS7.

You CAN revert to iOS6. It takes a little work, but it's doable — just Google it.

post #24 of 32
When using small/large caps on the keyboard they use dark or a light grey color to indicate the caps state. It sucks.
It's hard to see the difference. A great UX change would be (the option to) actually see the letters change to small/large caps when pressing 'shift', as with Android. Here, usability clearly suffers from design aesthetics.
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

You CAN revert to iOS6. It takes a little work, but it's doable — just Google it.

We must have different Googles. Maybe you can post a link to what your Google says. Mine says you can't do it without jailbreaking.

post #26 of 32
"To find an app, it's easy in iOS7 to swipe down the display with 2 fingers"
One finger is enough
post #27 of 32
Quote:

My wife is having a great time with iOS 7 on her new iPhone (she lost the old one and insurance gave her a new one). She suddenly had a new interface and has no real computer savvy.

She was able to do all the things she used to do with emails and streaming music and contacts and calendars and such, and using Suri to launch apps within an hour. Things don't crash.

If you really want to get an iPad Air, just get it. If you are holding off because you hear people complain about the interface -- how smart can they be when tens of millions of people have used it without issue? Really, if just 1% of the population complains about something -- that means you can get a complaint every 2 seconds of the day.

iOS 7 improves more than it hinders. I see the point in outline drawings and basic images for the icons and controls because the content has become so rich that you need to differentiate and let the content be the main focus. What's important is having an interface that conveys what it needs to to the user and gets out of the way. I think Apple could do MORE simplicity, but I suppose they are walking the customer towards better usability and can't jump too far.

post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenco View Post

"To find an app, it's easy in iOS7 to swipe down the display with 2 fingers"
One finger is enough

You think that's something, I can do it with no fingers; "Siri, pretend I just gave you the finger and you liked it."

Siri; "finding application; flashlight."

post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

[...] you hear people complain about the interface -- how smart can they be when tens of millions of people have used it without issue?

So according to you, the only reason anyone would complain about the interface is because they're too stupid to figure out how it works, huh? Not because of how it looks? Not that many controls are now more difficult to operate? Not because many controls do not respond as well as they used to? Not because supposedly global conventions, such as for deleting an item, are not actually global and don't work in certain APPLE apps? Not because it's so buggy that content creators discover after days and days of wasting time that the device simply will not display the material correctly? Naw, it couldn't be any of that. They're just stoopid. You and your wife is SMART.

I'm very impressed that your Mensa mate has figured out how to use an iPad. You'll forgive me though if I don't consider her managing to send an email as a definitive demonstration of the infallibility of the interface. I will, however, accept your dismissive and narrow-minded attitude towards the subject as an indication of how seriously to take your missives in the future.

post #30 of 32
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

We must have different Googles. Maybe you can post a link to what your Google says. Mine says you can't do it without jailbreaking.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Quick with generalizations, short on actual specifics. So you were mistaken then?

post #31 of 32
Quote:

Yeah, that's what I thought. Quick with generalizations, short on actual specifics. So you were mistaken then?

Sorry, I don't hang out here all day. I said it was "doable" which is true, regardless if it requires jailbreaking. I didn't know specifics because I don't freak out over advancements in OSes enough to ever roll back to an old version. You seem to be really angry about this, maybe you should calm down a bit — it's just a phone. It'll get better.

post #32 of 32

Quote:

I said it was "doable" which is true, regardless if it requires jailbreaking.

Yeah, whatever. It's "doable" the same way retrofitting a 1975 Ford 427 CobraJet into a Kia us "doable." Completely impractical, harder than quantum physics and may leave the device in worse shape than before the "mod" but still, y'know, technically "doable."

That's the position you wanna take, huh? Not, "Oh, sorry, I heard somewhere that you can do it and just spewed that back out like a parrot without having any idea what the hell I'm talking about."?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

I didn't know specifics because I don't freak out over advancements in OSes enough to ever roll back to an old version. 

So in other words you were talking out of your ass, which is what I said. You decided you needed to chime in even though you don't know what you're talking about.

As long as we're in the process of demonstrating how common sense works, please go back and read how I wrote that I appreciate Apple letting me try the new OS on my old device, I just wish they'd let me go back after discovering it doesn't work. If that's what you call "freaking out," you REALLY need to cut back on the chronic.

Quote:

You seem to be really angry about this

I am, but not about the phone. I'm annoyed by the proliferation of half-aware, inattentive coooool people ingesting and regurgitating misinformation like it's gospel but taking no responsibility for their role in muddying the world and internet with steaming piles of wrong. I'd be slightly happier if once in a while one of you would just step up and admit it, but mostly I wish you wouldn't get so excited by the sound of your own drone that you gotta chime in about things you know nothing about. Like, you know, anything other than herbal tea.

Quote:

maybe you should calm down a bit — it's just a phone.

Maybe you should mind your own business and not assume you know Thing One about my situation, hmm?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple provides iOS 7.1 beta 4 to developers