or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple offers Samsung patent settlement deal tied to anti-cloning provision
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple offers Samsung patent settlement deal tied to anti-cloning provision - Page 2

post #41 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

If Apple is able to obtain a permanent US injunction against Samsung, they are looking at some massive leverage towards negotiations against samsung. Everyday now is edging closer to Apples payday. Keep em sweating Tim.

You do know that Samsung no longer sells most if not all the devices an injunction would cover.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #42 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by c473419 View Post

No LG were not very successful with the Prada (as you very well know), mostly because they lacked a snake-oil-salesman, a la Steve Jobs.

Successful or not, this does not change the fact that the LG Prada was the first smart phone.

Watch and learn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFeC25BM9E0

Then why aren't you on lgpradainsider.com?
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
post #43 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by c473419 View Post

No LG were not very successful with the Prada (as you very well know), mostly because they lacked a snake-oil-salesman, a la Steve Jobs.

Successful or not, this does not change the fact that the LG Prada was the first smart phone.

Watch and learn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFeC25BM9E0

And what about all the Palm, BB, HP, etc smartphones that preceded it?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #44 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry4Eva View Post

Apple need to realise its not 2008 any more and that they don't own a patent on rounded rectangles.  Did Sammy take design queues from apple back in 2008? of course but come on apply it's time to put your time and money into producing NEW products, you've done nothing but iterate and procrastinate for 4 years.

Tell coke, it isn't 1920. They should stop defending the curvy bottle design.

My oh my the trolls are out in force. What time is it in SK?
post #45 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post

If Apple wants to get rid of competition they should just release iPhone 4c at 99$..and game over for Samscum (a company that kills people, cheats, lies and makes bad products), 

Because at that price they'd get rid of themselves as well.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #46 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And what about all the Palm, BB, HP, etc smartphones that preceded it?

You know, I had a Windows Mobile smartphone (actually two I think) before the iPhone. God it was awful. I don't really know much about the competitors back then but compared to smartphones of today the WM ones were more proto-smartphones.

 

The thing is, I don't think there's really a strict line you can draw between these sorts of phones. I can't think of a great way to distinguish where proto becomes real-smartphone.

post #47 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Apple. Did. Exactly. What. The. Court. Stated. No one can read what was posted and fail to comprehend that they lost to Samsung in the UK. You cannot possibly state otherwise.

Not only am I stating otherwise, so did Sir Robin Jacob, an IP expert in the most senior appeals court in the UK save for the Supreme Court. Documentary evidence was also provided that you completely failed to read.

 

Quote:
They have no jurisdiction over any order but their own. Apple can post whatever it wants about any other order they received. You fail to comprehend this.

This is simply not true. Apple did post whatever they wanted, they were ordered to remove it and replace it with an explicit notice and they complied with this order. You are telling me that not only am I wrong, but the Court of Appeals is wrong and Apple's legal representatives are wrong. I think it much more likely that you are wrong.

 

Quote:
Oh boy, here we go.

No idea what this is referencing, if you're not American then perhaps I misspoke.

post #48 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post
I don't think there's really a strict line you can draw between these sorts of phones. 

Um... look at the picture in the story. Again. And again…. Until you get it.

post #49 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

Um... look at the picture in the story. Again. And again…. Until you get it.

 

Right but there's plenty of examples of similar looking phones and phones with similar functionality etc before the iPhone. Not that I'm arguing they were a success or anything. Just saying that you can easily show things in a less distinct light than Apple's view of things.

post #50 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

You know, I had a Windows Mobile smartphone (actually two I think) before the iPhone. God it was awful. I don't really know much about the competitors back then but compared to smartphones of today the WM ones were more proto-smartphones.

The thing is, I don't think there's really a strict line you can draw between these sorts of phones. I can't think of a great way to distinguish where proto becomes real-smartphone.

You can say that about many things. Products evolve over time, but I'd say that the phones that had complete keyboards and needed a separate data plans were the first smartphones.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #51 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Um... look at the picture in the story. Again. And again…. Until you get it.

Are you saying that the phones in the 'before' weren't smartphones? Yes they lacked some functionality but they still were smartphones. That's like saying CRT TVs weren't televisions, because of the current crop of TVs are so much better.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #52 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

Samsung won the 'cloning' lawsuits. Both in Germany and the UK. That was the court case where Apple violated the order and lied about it badly enough to have to carry a message on their homepage for a month.


Plus, haven't they settled out at a total of under $1B so far for patent infringement?

They won in the UK because the judge ruled that Samsung weren't copying Apple because Apple products were cool and Samsung products weren't. Says it all really.
NB I own a Samsung tablet as well as an iPad 2 and an iPad mini retina and the Samsung tablet is not in the same class as the iPads.
post #53 of 109
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post
Apple can comply exactly with the words of an order but fail to meet its spirit. This is indeed exactly what happened:

 

That’s nice. You’ve just stated that nothing ever meets anyone’s requirements.

 
Apple were ordered to place a revised notice exactly as a result of adding their material to the original, resulting in the 'meaning and intention' of the original order becoming unclear.

 

Except that didn’t happen.

 
You can fight the facts all you like

 

Nah, see, I’m using exactly what was said.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #54 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by c473419 View Post
 

No LG were not very successful with the Prada (as you very well know), mostly because they lacked a snake-oil-salesman, a la Steve Jobs.

 

So what, you looked at the pictures and decided that the Prada was the originator of the smartphone era and simply lacked a good salesman?

 

As others have said, there were plenty of "smart" phones before the Prada (Palm, WinMo, BB).  And just because the Prada looks like an iPhone, but came beforehand, doesn't make it the same product.

 

Did it integrate well with both Mac and Windows: sync + backup all your contacts, calendars, photos, and music on both platforms?  How was the battery life?  Was the user interface intuitive, fluid, and well designed?  How capable was the web browser on it?  Could you easily purchase and view/listen to content (music, movies, etc) directly on it without needing a computer?

 

The thing that made the iPhone the first great "smartphone" IMO, is that Apple took the time to get all of the little details right (in addition to the design).  Prior to it, there were very few smartphones that worked well with both Mac and Windows.  And most of them had shoddy interfaces which were based on a hacked version of a desktop operating system (Windows Mobile, mobile variants of Linux, etc) and tended to be difficult to use.  They didn't take the time and/or have the in-house talent + resources to rethink everything from top to bottom the way Apple did.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #55 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by c473419 View Post

Yes, the LG Prada, you bloody retard.

My daughter owned the LG Prada. It kept freezing and she returned it and replaced it with the Samsung Tocca. Neither was what I regard as being a smartphone.
post #56 of 109

You should really stop trolling.

Every person who used a Windows/Mac or Android/iOS products  "fact myself" knows that Macs or iOS are better products!


Edited by iMember - 1/20/14 at 2:48pm

 

 

Reply

 

 

Reply
post #57 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You can say that about many things. Products evolve over time, but I'd say that the phones that had complete keyboards and needed a separate data plans were the first smartphones.

I don't know if I would classify any device that sacrificed large chunks of it's display space for a fixed, unable to be updated input method 'smart'.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
post #58 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

Right but there's plenty of examples of similar looking phones and phones with similar functionality etc before the iPhone.

Unfortunately, none of those phones generated the term 'crisis of design' at Samsung.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
post #59 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I don't know if I would classify any device that sacrificed large chunks of it's display space for a fixed, unable to be updated input method 'smart'.

When you're on the classification committee let me know.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #60 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

That’s nice. You’ve just stated that nothing ever meets anyone’s requirements.

 

Except that didn’t happen.

 

You know the funniest part about this? The poster above you gets the case wrong. Something you claim never happens just happened in front of your eyes. Will you still continue to deny that you know the law better than Apple's own legal counsel? Better than one of the highest powered Judges in the UK?

 

I'm guessing the answer will be that you can't face that you are incorrect.

post #61 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Unfortunately, none of those phones generated the term 'crisis of design' at Samsung.

And you know this how?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #62 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post


Unfortunately, none of those phones generated the term 'crisis of design' at Samsung.


Agreed. I'm much more a fan of Google's latest designs. I own a Nexus 5 and I love the fact that it's mostly just a black glass slate that's barely got any visible adornments. Understated works really well. Samsung's latest stuff is powerful and impressive in some ways, but man they need to hire some real designers.

post #63 of 109
Had to get an account so I could join in on all this fun! tallest skil is awesome.
That's all for now; he seems to be taking care of troll slaying in this room.
post #64 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


You can say that about many things. Products evolve over time, but I'd say that the phones that had complete keyboards and needed a separate data plans were the first smartphones.


The Windows Mobile phones I had certainly meet all the 'modern' criteria other than perhaps a capacitive screen. That's why I think that whole era should really be 'proto-smartphones'. I would probably argue the first iPhone should be in with that too. Once it gained the App Store it was all upward from there.

post #65 of 109
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
post #66 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Um... look at the picture in the story. Again. And again…. Until you get it.

Are you saying that the phones in the 'before' weren't smartphones? Yes they lacked some functionality but they still were smartphones. That's like saying CRT TVs weren't televisions, because of the current crop of TVs are so much better.

If you think the pre-iPhone 'smart'phones were similar to the iPhone in the way that CRTs are similar to flat-panel TVs, I really don't know where to start.
post #67 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

When you're on the classification committee let me know.
 
I'm in the classification committee.
 
Would you classify my classification something you need me to clarify for you?
 
;)
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
post #68 of 109
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #69 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Now show me where no other phone caused a 'design in crisis' at Samsung, because that's the claim you made.

 

My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
post #70 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If you think the pre-iPhone 'smart'phones were similar to the iPhone in the way that CRTs are similar to flat-panel TVs, I really don't know where to start.

Flat panel TVs are far more complex and have much more technology in them compared to a CRT than a iPhone has to those older smartphones.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #71 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post



Ok and where did the designs for the 'before' Samsung smartphones come from? Did Samsung invent the keyboard form factor?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #72 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Ok and where did the designs for the 'before' Samsung smartphones come from? Did Samsung invent the keyboard form factor?

Just before we proceed, I've answered many of your previous points but I don't appear to be able to locate your posts conceding them.

Would you be able to assist me in locating them?

1wink.gif
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
post #73 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Just before we proceed, I've answered many of your previous points but I don't appear to be able to locate your posts conceding them.

Would you be able to assist me in locating them?

1wink.gif

You showed me what I already knew, that the iPhone caused a 'crisis of design' at Samsung, that point I concede, but how do you know that no other phone ever did that? Just because they admitted to one doesn't mean it hasn't happened before. Now if you have a link proving that then I'd like to see it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #74 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You showed me what I already knew, that the iPhone caused a 'crisis of design' at Samsung, that point I concede...

If you already knew the iPhone caused a crisis of design at Samsung then why did you make post 77?
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
post #75 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Now if you have a link proving that then I'd like to see it.

See post 85.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
post #76 of 109
FWIW the Motorola Razr probably caused a crisis in design too. Sammy came up with the Sync clone. Then the Moto Q may have caused yet another. Yup, Sammy rushed out the Blackjack.. It's nothing new nor is it unexpected that they'd find more inspiration in the iPhone. Personally I'm surprised if Apple didn't anticipate it considering past history.
Edited by Gatorguy - 1/20/14 at 4:19pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #77 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

...that point I concede...

You don't appear to have conceded post 73 either.

Unless of course, you do believe a phone that constantly sacrifices display for input method is 'smart'.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
post #78 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

If you already knew the iPhone caused a crisis of design at Samsung then why did you make post 77?

You said none of those phones ever caused a crisis in design? I asked you how did you know that. We're all aware of what was said regarding the iPhone, so where did you read anything regarding any other phone?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #79 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

FWIW the Motorola Razr probably caused a crisis in design too. Sammy came up with the Sync clone. Then the Moto Q may have caused yet another. Yup, Sammy rushed out the Blackjack.. It's nothing new nor is it unexpected that they'd find more inspiration in the iPhone.

Do we have any documentation confirming a 'crisis of design' (or something similar) from the head of their mobile division, or did they just copy it?
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
post #80 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

When you're on the classification committee let me know.

Well how to analysts classify a smartphone? Are they on this committee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And you know this how?

Easy, Sammy did not introduce any evidence that they had a 132 page slide deck on the blackberry and countless other designs they stole.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple offers Samsung patent settlement deal tied to anti-cloning provision
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple offers Samsung patent settlement deal tied to anti-cloning provision