or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Large-screen iPhone 6 in June, 'iWatch' to use flexible LG OLED display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Large-screen iPhone 6 in June, 'iWatch' to use flexible LG OLED display

post #1 of 81
Thread Starter 
Monday morning brought two questionable reports about Apple's plans for the future, with one Korean publication speculating that LG has won a contract to supply displays for Apple's still-unannounced "iWatch" and a Chinese website claiming a next-gen 4.7-inch iPhone will be unveiled at WWDC.

LG to manufacture iWatch displays



Seoul, South Korea-based LG is said to have secured an exclusive contract to manufacture 1.52-inch flexible P-OLED displays for Apple's so-called "iWatch." The purported production is said to begin in the second half of 2014, with a goal of producing 2 million displays in the first run.

Wearable Device
AppleInsider was first to discover an Apple patent filing describing a watch design with flexible display.


The news was originally reported by Korea's Digital Daily, but the article was subsequently pulled from the website. A cached copy was found by G for Games.

Previous iWatch display rumors have focused on AMOLED technology from LG and others, with size predictions ranging from 1.2 inches to 2 inches on the diagonal. Notably absent from the OLED-predicting pack is well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who instead believes the device will leverage existing GF2 touchscreen technology found in the iPod nano.

Using flexible P-OLED displays would allow Apple to create a curved, wrist-hugging device --?similar to patents the company has already been granted -- but would likely increase the product's cost.

iPhone 6 to debut in June with 4.7-inch display



Chinese analyst Sun Changxu told Chinese-language website QQ Tech that she expects production on Apple's next-generation iPhone to ramp up as soon as May in preparation for a debut at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference in June. The so-called "iPhone 6" would sport a 4.7-inch, 1136 pixel-by-640 pixel display, with a higher-resolution 5.7-inch "phablet" variant to follow.

Plus
Concept for a larger-screened iPhone, via iMore.


The 4.7-inch screen size has been mentioned in connection with the iPhone 6 before, but the cited resolution does not match previous rumors. DisplaySearch vice president David Hsieh said last October that he expects a 4.7-inch iPhone with a 1280 pixel-by-720 pixel, or 720p, display.

Earlier this month, DisplaySearch updated its predictions. The firm still believes Apple is targeting a 4.7-inch display, but has now shifted to a 1920 pixel-by-1080 pixel "Full HD" resolution.
post #2 of 81
Just have to wait and see people.... geesh.
post #3 of 81
1) Sure, a larger display iPhone could certainly happen but I do wonder about the resolution of the display. The easiest solution is to use the same resolution they currently have so that they SDK and apps don't negatively affect developers and consumers, but that's easier to achieve going down than going up. Does going from 326 PPI to 277 PIP in a 4.7" display still make it Retina? That would mean it would need to be held 12.4" from the eyes for someone with 20/20(6/6) vision for the effect to be achieved at its minimum.

2) I wouldn't be surprised if an iWatch is "flexible" insofar that it can be curved into a static design but I wouldn't expect for the customer to experience this flexibility.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #4 of 81
How to make a bigger screen without making the iPhone bigger?
post #5 of 81
That concept phone is hideous. IF Apple is making a larger phone then they need to rethink the UI. I'm not sure rows and rows of apps/folders is the way to go. Have a place to go where I can see all my apps in alphabetic order or grouped by app type. But then make the home screen more customizable. Do it on the iPad too.
post #6 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by acatomic View Post

How to make a bigger screen without making the iPhone bigger?

The most important value to consider is how it feels in your hand. With a 4.7" display — if we assume the same aspect ratio — it may be impossible in terms of the width of the phone when holding it in your hand to move to a 0.3" wider display.

  • 4.0" with 1.78 aspect ratio = 2.0" wide x 3.5" tall = 6.84 sq in.
  • 4.7" with 1.78 aspect ratio = 2.3" wide x 4.1" tall = 9.44 sq in.


If there is 0.15" on each side of the iPhone it would be just barely and you still need some frame for durability. Apple could also reduce the thickness of the device which can now be spread over the volume of the device with a larger footprint but even that would still likely all result in slightly less usability in using just your thumb whilst in one hand.

That isn't to say these cons outweigh the pros and we've seen Apple weigh all aspects of the device with the iPad 3 by making it much thicker and heavier in order to support the Retina display. With large smartphones becoming the norm (after years of anti-Apple comments of the iPhone being too big) I can see Apple addressing the best way to create a larger iPhone with little impact to the increase in size. It would surely be less than what the iPad 3 and 4 experienced over the iPad 2.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #7 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That concept phone is hideous. IF Apple is making a larger phone then they need to rethink the UI. I'm not sure rows and rows of apps/folders is the way to go. Have a place to go where I can see all my apps in alphabetic order or grouped by app type. But then make the home screen more customizable. Do it on the iPad too.

I'd think it would most likely be slightly larger UI elements, just as the iPad mini is slightly smaller UI elements, not a new UI. There is a window for this to work but it's very narrow, and much narrower scaling up than scaling down. I'm sure Apple has done plenty of prototypes to see which scenario works best so if they launch I am certain they feel it's not going to be ugly or unusual.. which I can't say about all other models from other vendors.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #8 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That concept phone is hideous. IF Apple is making a larger phone then they need to rethink the UI. I'm not sure rows and rows of apps/folders is the way to go. Have a place to go where I can see all my apps in alphabetic order or grouped by app type. But then make the home screen more customizable. Do it on the iPad too.

 

But 'rows and rows of apps' was the 'way to go' for Apple since day one.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #9 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That concept phone is hideous. IF Apple is making a larger phone then they need to rethink the UI. I'm not sure rows and rows of apps/folders is the way to go.
All OS evolve over time. However row and columns of app icons isn't a high priority for retro fit in my mind. Many things need to be overhauled in IOS. I would put the interface very low on any list Apple might have.
Quote:
Have a place to go where I can see all my apps in alphabetic order or grouped by app type.
Well that is where file system access comes into play. I'm not sure we will ever see a "Finder" like interface in iOS though I'd love to see at least a limited capability.
Quote:

But then make the home screen more customizable. Do it on the iPad too.
Actually I like my IPad user interface just the way it is. Simple and to the point.
post #10 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
. . . (after years of anti-Apple comments of the iPhone being too big) . . .

 

What are you referring to here? 

post #11 of 81

Am i the only one here who thinks the iPhone 6 sounds terrible? and they should pick a better number

 

 

Reply

 

 

Reply
post #12 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by acatomic View Post

How to make a bigger screen without making the iPhone bigger?

Its a simple answer: Apple

 

 

Reply

 

 

Reply
post #13 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by eponymous View Post

What are you referring to here? 

I'm referring to the years of comments since the iPhone was announced up until the time vendors had to use bigger displays to hide the bigger batteries needed to run the first generation LTE chips.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #14 of 81
Originally Posted by iMember View Post
they should pick a better number

 

Yeah, none whatsoever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #15 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

All OS evolve over time. However row and columns of app icons isn't a high priority for retro fit in my mind. Many things need to be overhauled in IOS. I would put the interface very low on any list Apple might have.
Well that is where file system access comes into play. I'm not sure we will ever see a "Finder" like interface in iOS though I'd love to see at least a limited capability.
Actually I like my IPad user interface just the way it is. Simple and to the point.
I understand a lot of people feel this way. And I'm certainly not suggesting Apple go the Windows 8 route. I'm not sure what the solution is (guess that's why I'm not a software UI designer!) but rows of icons seems like wasted space. Of course right now I just want Apple to fix the constant Safari crashes.
post #16 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post

Am i the only one here who thinks the iPhone 6 sounds terrible? and they should pick a better number
They should have done it this year when they announced the 5C. That was the time to get rid of numbers.
post #17 of 81

The things i don't want about iPhone 2014: number 6, 4.5 inch screen, 1920 x 1280 resolution and 400 ppi without a bionic eye

 

The things i want about iPhone 2014: better number, 4.7  inch screen, less important (2K resolution, 326 ppi or 400 ppi with a bionic eye),

and very important (replacing the IPS LCD with something that doesn't damage your eyes + samsung will go backrupt).

 

2K (1920 x 1080) resolution 


Edited by iMember - 1/21/14 at 5:47am

 

 

Reply

 

 

Reply
post #18 of 81

Well Apple historically uses the same design for two models right? The iPhone 4/4S, 5/5S, so the 6 should have some sort of new design at least.

My blender/recipe blog: http://blenderinsider.com
Reply
My blender/recipe blog: http://blenderinsider.com
Reply
post #19 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Yeah, none whatsoever.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


They should have done it this year when they announced the 5C. That was the time to get rid of numbers.

Thanx i agree,  but maybe iPhone 8 and then kill the numbers

 

 

Reply

 

 

Reply
post #20 of 81
An announcement at WWDC makes some kind of sense because I don't think there will be an iOS 8 this year ( where are the reports of any website being surfed with betas? ). They will lock down on iOS 7, which needs lots of improvements and the OS teams can concentrate on new devices.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #21 of 81


Should be an interesting looking watch.
Edited by AppleSauce007 - 1/20/14 at 6:36pm
post #22 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Sure, a larger display iPhone could certainly happen but I do wonder about the resolution of the display. The easiest solution is to use the same resolution they currently have so that they SDK and apps don't negatively affect developers and consumers, but that's easier to achieve going down than going up. Does going from 326 PPI to 277 PIP in a 4.7" display still make it Retina? That would mean it would need to be held 12.4" from the eyes for someone with 20/20(6/6) vision for the effect to be achieved at its minimum.

2) I wouldn't be surprised if an iWatch is "flexible" insofar that it can be curved into a static design but I wouldn't expect for the customer to experience this flexibility.

There were a couple of articles that Marco Arment (former developer of Instapaper) wrote early last year regarding a larger iPhone;

 

http://www.marco.org/2013/01/31/iphone-plus-speculation (part 1)

 

http://www.marco.org/2013/02/08/iphone-plus-dpi-argument (part 2)

 

Basically, he says he wouldn't be surprised if Apple went with a 4.94" screen using the same 1136x64 (264ppi) resolution.  It would benefit Apple by keeping the costs of the screen low, great for developers in terms of not having to do much work to their apps, and great for customers because all their apps would just work.

 

Granted, it won't be 326ppi, but using the iPad Air, I've never had any issues with the quality and text / color reproduction of that screen.  I love it.  If it can work well on a 9.7" screen, I can't see why it won't work well on a 4.94" screen.

post #23 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


They should have done it this year when they announced the 5C. That was the time to get rid of numbers.

Agree time to get rid of numbers.  Wonder what they could go with.  iPhone S & iPhone C, perhaps?

post #24 of 81
Oh gosh. Will it never end! I doubt there will be an iPhone Phablet. The < 5" iphone seems feasible as long as it complements a new 4" iPhone.

iPhone X 4"
iPhone X+ < 5"
post #25 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthNut View Post
 

Well Apple historically uses the same design for two models right? The iPhone 4/4S, 5/5S, so the 6 should have some sort of new design at least.

I am hopping the new design will be amazing but also the last. Apple after that really needs to concetrate more on new products, media, appstore

and make iOS just as usefull like the OS X

 

 

Reply

 

 

Reply
post #26 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

An announcement at WWDC makes some kind of sense because I don't think there will be an iOS 8 this year ( where are the reports of any website being surfed with betas? ). They will lock down on iOS 7, which needs lots of improvements and the OS teams can concentrate on new devices.

I haven't seen any reports of websites being surged with iOS 8 but 9to5mac had a couple of reports of their website being surfed with OSX 10.10.

 

http://************/2013/10/03/apple-finishing-up-mavericks-as-development-shifts-to-os-x-10-10-ios-8/

 

http://************/2013/10/07/as-mavericks-hits-gm-apple-begins-seeding-nightly-builds-of-os-x-10-9-1-as-well-as-10-10-syrah/

post #27 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post
 

I am hopping the new design will be amazing but also the last. Apple after that really needs to concetrate more on new products, media, appstore

and make iOS just as usefull like the OS X

I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation iPhone adopts the same design language as the iPad mini / Air.

post #28 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

I haven't seen any reports of websites being surged with iOS 8 but 9to5mac had a couple of reports of their website being surfed with OSX 10.10.

[URL=http:/2013/10/03/apple-finishing-up-mavericks-as-development-shifts-to-os-x-10-10-ios-8/]http://************/2013/10/03/apple-finishing-up-mavericks-as-development-shifts-to-os-x-10-10-ios-8/[/URL]

[URL=http:/2013/10/07/as-mavericks-hits-gm-apple-begins-seeding-nightly-builds-of-os-x-10-9-1-as-well-as-10-10-syrah/]http://************/2013/10/07/as-mavericks-hits-gm-apple-begins-seeding-nightly-builds-of-os-x-10-9-1-as-well-as-10-10-syrah/[/URL]

Yeah, exactly. So where is iOS 8 in the records? In general you can tell by the build number.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #29 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

There were a couple of articles that Marco Arment (former developer of Instapaper) wrote early last year regarding a larger iPhone;

http://www.marco.org/2013/01/31/iphone-plus-speculation (part 1)

http://www.marco.org/2013/02/08/iphone-plus-dpi-argument (part 2)

Basically, he says he wouldn't be surprised if Apple went with a 4.94" screen using the same 1136x640 (264ppi) resolution.  It would benefit Apple by keeping the costs of the screen low, great for developers in terms of not having to do much work to their apps, and great for customers because all their apps would just work.

Granted, it won't be 326ppi, but using the iPad Air, I've never had any issues with the quality and text / color reproduction of that screen.  I love it.  If it can work well on a 9.7" screen, I can't see why it won't work well on a 4.94" screen.

I've talked about that size before over the last couple years. It does have the added benefit of allowing Apple to use the same iPad 2 panels they are using but that's it. I think it might be too large to be a reasonable size for a large smartphone display and have too few pixels-per-inch. With the number of units we're talking about I think the cost for Apple to use a different panel with a new PPI becomes very minimal so even though on paper 4.9404" makes sense for that one pro I think it brings too many negatives that would affect the overall usability.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #30 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


Yeah, exactly. So where is iOS 8 in the records? In general you can tell by the build number.

It isn't in the records, that's what I was getting at.

post #31 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yeah, exactly. So where is iOS 8 in the records? In general you can tell by the build number.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I will be very surprised if we don't see iOS 8 until June 2015.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #32 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post

I am hopping the new design will be amazing but also the last. Apple after that really needs to concetrate more on new products, media, appstore
and make iOS just as usefull like the OS X

Oh so close.
post #33 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Oh so close.

What's so close?

post #34 of 81

iPhone 6 is NOT coming in June.  June is likely when early production starts and just proto runs to test early tools, etc.  The regular iPhone 6 will launch in September just like last year.

 

As for it's size… whatever. 

post #35 of 81
Dupe.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #36 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

iPhone 6 is NOT coming in June.  June is likely when early production starts and just proto runs to test early tools, etc.  The regular iPhone 6 will launch in September just like last year.

As for it's size… whatever. 

Because Apple will never ever ever change their model of one release of one new phone every year? Fair point. Well made.

But I disagree.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #37 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Actually in this case - unless someone can point to a trustworthy article where iOS 8 appears in the the logs - we have evidence of absence. Of iOS 8 logs. Which needs some explanation if there are 10.10 logs and there were iOS 7 logs captured this time last year. Which there were.

That's the point! Just because there is no evidence on this or that site does not mean there is no iOS 8 in the works or that iOS 8 isn't arriving in 2014.

You can state it as a hypothesis and use the comments you've made to support your argument but it's not evidence because you can't account for all possible sources.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #38 of 81
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
An announcement at WWDC makes some kind of sense because I dont think there will be an iOS 8 this year

 

Sounds crazy.

 

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
Oh so close.

 

It sort of feels like one, but I don’t really think it is given his other posts.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #39 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Sure, a larger display iPhone could certainly happen but I do wonder about the resolution of the display. The easiest solution is to use the same resolution they currently have so that they SDK and apps don't negatively affect developers and consumers, but that's easier to achieve going down than going up. Does going from 326 PPI to 277 PIP in a 4.7" display still make it Retina? That would mean it would need to be held 12.4" from the eyes for someone with 20/20(6/6) vision for the effect to be achieved at its minimum.

2) I wouldn't be surprised if an iWatch is "flexible" insofar that it can be curved into a static design but I wouldn't expect for the customer to experience this flexibility.

Would just one more resolution make it that much harder? How many resolutions does a web developer have to account for? It makes development for Android child's play.

Edit: why are my posts showing up twice?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #40 of 81
Everyone says OLED!

Meanwhile I'm still here waiting for more IGZO :C
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Large-screen iPhone 6 in June, 'iWatch' to use flexible LG OLED display