or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Large-screen iPhone 6 in June, 'iWatch' to use flexible LG OLED display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Large-screen iPhone 6 in June, 'iWatch' to use flexible LG OLED display - Page 2

post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Because Apple will never ever ever change their model of one release of one new phone every year? Fair point. Well made.

But I disagree.

You could've also pointed out the time span between the iPad 3 and the 4th gen instead of simply disagreeing.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #42 of 81
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post
Everyone says OLED!

 

Isn’t this the second time we’ve seen that?

 

Apple doesn’t like OLED. QD display, sure, but OLED…

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm referring to the years of comments since the iPhone was announced up until the time vendors had to use bigger displays to hide the bigger batteries needed to run the first generation LTE chips.

I thought you might have been making an oblique reference to the rumors of an iPhone Nano several years ago.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #44 of 81
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post
I thought you might have been making an oblique reference to the rumors of an iPhone Nano several years ago.


They came about partially as a result of what he’s (we’re) saying!

 

The iPhone’s massive 3.5” screen was “too big” and it’s what made the phone “too expensive”!

 

The solution, therefore, was a stupid phone that was smaller. But wait! If it’s smaller, there will be fewer little squares on the screen (this was before the days of apps), so we’ll have to cut something. I know! We’ll get rid of Safari, Mail, YouTube, Maps, Stocks, Weather… There we go! Now there’s enough room.

 

Boom, iPhone nano.

 

This is what people actually believed.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #45 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Would just one more resolution make it that much harder? How many resolutions does a web developer have to account for? It makes development for Android child's play.

How much harder depends on the app and developer so the only thing we can for sure is that it adds increased difficulty. One possible solution is to use the same PPI as the current iPhone so that other apps are bordered, not unlike with iPhone apps on the iPad in 1x, but still being the exact same virtual size across iPhone models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Everyone says OLED!

Meanwhile I'm still here waiting for more IGZO :C

They aren't mutually exclusive. AMOLED on an iWatch makes a lot of sense, and IGZO may be easier to mass produce on an iWatch and offer certain benefits over larger displays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You could've also pointed out the time span between the iPad 3 and the 4th gen instead of simply disagreeing.

But his comment wasn't about new HW before the next iOS update, as was the case with the iPad 3 before syncing up with the iPod and iPhone scheduling, but that there would be no iOS 8 this year because there is no evidence of it being tested so far this year.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #46 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I will be very surprised if we don't see iOS 8 until June 2015.

I doubt we will ever see an iOS 8 — Microsoft poisoned that number for all time.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #47 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I doubt we will ever see an iOS 8 — Microsoft poisoned that number for all time.

So asdasd is saying no 8th version of iOS until 2015 and you are saying it won't be named iOS 8. I'll take bets on both of those. Money goes to a charity in the other's name?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #48 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm referring to the years of comments since the iPhone was announced up until the time vendors had to use bigger displays to hide the bigger batteries needed to run the first generation LTE chips.

Actually big screen phones were out a almost a full year before they had LTE chips. Motorola was the first to make that move and I'm still astounded how they gave up such a early lead to Samsung.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #49 of 81
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Money goes to a charity in the other's name?

 

Ooh, ooh, one of you name a charity The DEVELOPERS! Fund.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #50 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

What's so close?

So close to treading on troll territory. I'll give him/her the benefit of the doubt.
post #51 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post
 

I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation iPhone adopts the same design language as the iPad mini / Air.

No i am thinking will be very different design more like iPhone 3GS-iPhone 4, Apple really likes to suprise people after 3 years..also this year maybe will be the first year were both iPhone\iPad in will have a all new design 

 

 

Reply

 

 

Reply
post #52 of 81
Next iPhone won't release in June. This rumor comes out every year and is falsified....every year.
post #53 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Oh gosh. Will it never end! I doubt there will be an iPhone Phablet. The < 5" iphone seems feasible as long as it complements a new 4" iPhone.

iPhone X 4"
iPhone X+ < 5"
post #54 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez Whitey View Post


Apple would be smart & have bases covered with 4" & 5" iPhones.

I'd prefer a 6" iPhone but doubt Apple will make as it would cannibalize iPads
post #55 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That concept phone is hideous. IF Apple is making a larger phone then they need to rethink the UI. I'm not sure rows and rows of apps/folders is the way to go. Have a place to go where I can see all my apps in alphabetic order or grouped by app type. But then make the home screen more customizable. Do it on the iPad too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


All OS evolve over time. However row and columns of app icons isn't a high priority for retro fit in my mind. Many things need to be overhauled in IOS. I would put the interface very low on any list Apple might have.
Well that is where file system access comes into play. I'm not sure we will ever see a "Finder" like interface in iOS though I'd love to see at least a limited capability.
 

Rogifan's proposal sounds a lot like Android's method of organizing apps using a homescreen for commonly used apps and an app drawer to hold all the rest. No need to expose a full-blown file system.

post #56 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez Whitey View Post

Apple would be smart & have bases covered with 4" & 5" iPhones.

I'd prefer a 6" iPhone but doubt Apple will make as it would cannibalize iPads

Apple isn't afraid of cannibalizing itself but only if it makes sense. A Phablet doesn't make sense (or cents).
post #57 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Android's method of organizing apps using a homescreen for commonly used apps and an app drawer to hold all the rest.

Actually, they're in the draw as well. The home screen has shortcuts to the apps. As far as the apple paradigm is concerned, the apps on the homescreen are the apps, so there will never be a shortcut system to replace it. Imagine if /Applications was full of Aliases to apps and the actual apps were all hidden in /Library/Application Support or whatever. Apple aimed to destroy that windows-esque notion. Android only goes halfway.

I've played with Samsungs, HTCs and their "homescreens" are a joke. If they really wanted what they say they are aiming for, interface wise and not just finding a way of differentiating from apple to save themselves lawsuits, they would have two homescreens or tabs. A scrollable list of apps on the left, rearrangable, filterable, techy list shit and a scrollable column of widgets on the right! Do you know how hard it is to delete and rearrange stuff on these things? No non-techie would manage it.

Their current systems are horrible and serve no discernible purpose other than my iphone friends go unlock>homescreen>app>interact/play>homescreen/multitask>app>etc whereas my android friends all just go horrific-unlock-screen>Playaroundwithhomescreens>lock>unlock>facebook>homescreens>lock>etc because their phones are not utilities, they're all fluff.

Their homescreens make them look busy and full of useful stuff, but we know from app sales and usage stats that they're, for the most-part, really not.
post #58 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

...Does going from 326 PPI to 277 PIP in a 4.7" display still make it Retina? That would mean it would need to be held 12.4" from the eyes for someone with 20/20(6/6) vision for the effect to be achieved at its minimum...
 

 

But that's not really what "retina" was about. The real magic behind retina was the 4x increase in pixels so that it was fully backwards compatible. It was the most optimal transition possible because it made retina aware apps look great and non-retina aware apps looked no worse than they did before. The whole "indistinguishable pixels" thing was only even just marketing to package the concept. I have always been able to distinguish the pixels on iOS devices, though the enhancements are obvious for typography.

 

I'd like to see a larger display, particularly if that extra surface area went into making the battery capacity, but resolution is ultimately more important than display size.

post #59 of 81
Instead of competing on specs, Apple focused on getting the core experience right. Why do we seem to forget this?
post #60 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Actually big screen phones were out a almost a full year before they had LTE chips. Motorola was the first to make that move and I'm still astounded how they gave up such a early lead to Samsung.

 

They still went to the larger, lower quality screens simply because they couldn't get the performance/battery life/heat issue sorted, however.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #61 of 81

Ah, they post stuff like this every time the "site engagement" stats start to sag.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #62 of 81
Regarding bigger iPhone, Apple should not forget that iPhone is still a phone.
If someone needs really bigger screen he may have iPad or iPad mini.
post #63 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That concept phone is hideous. IF Apple is making a larger phone then they need to rethink the UI. I'm not sure rows and rows of apps/folders is the way to go. Have a place to go where I can see all my apps in alphabetic order or grouped by app type. But then make the home screen more customizable. Do it on the iPad too.

Back to the future.... It's iPhone 6 and is that why it comes with iOS6 style icons? Lol thats the biggest joke!!
Just having a bigger screen with rows and rows of icons doesn't look appealing. With bigger screen there needs to be a different layout as well. 

post #64 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

But that's not really what "retina" was about. The real magic behind retina wa
s the 4x increase in pixels so that it was fully backwards compatible. It was the most optimal transition possible because it made retina aware apps look great and non-retina aware apps looked no worse than they did before. The whole "
indistinguishable pixels" thing was only even just marketing to package the concept. I have always been able to 
distinguish the pixels on iOS devices, though the enhancements are obvious for typography.


I'd like to see a larger display, particularly if that extra surface area went into making the battery 
capacity, but resolution is ultimately more important than display size.

I don't think you're going to get 4x the number of pixels this time around, but even if you did we're still talking about a larger display which is not something that has happened before except for the iPhone 4S to iPhone 5 and that used the same pixel density with apps being centered on borders.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #65 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Oh gosh. Will it never end! I doubt there will be an iPhone Phablet. The < 5" iphone seems feasible as long as it complements a new 4" iPhone.

iPhone X 4"
iPhone X+ < 5"

More analysts making noise. AI just regurgitates it second- or third-hand. For the click traffic.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #66 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, none whatsoever.

I'm looking forward to when they drop the numbers, but I think they'll keep them for one more year, so people feel comfortable associating a new look with a new name (number). But after 2014, the naming gets messy. I think Apple will be ok with a 5c and 6c this year, but I don't see them releasing an iPhone 6sc in 2015.

Here's how I see the naming happening:

2014:
iPhone 5c
iPhone 6c
iPhone 6
iPhone 6x (larger screen)

2015:
iPhone c
iPhone
iPhone x

   

Reply

   

Reply
post #67 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post
 

Am i the only one here who thinks the iPhone 6 sounds terrible? and they should pick a better number

 

You're the only one.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #68 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

An announcement at WWDC makes some kind of sense because I don't think there will be an iOS 8 this year ( where are the reports of any website being surfed with betas? ). They will lock down on iOS 7, which needs lots of improvements and the OS teams can concentrate on new devices.

 

iOS 8 welcomes you to planet earth.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #69 of 81
I was at Walmart trying to get Straighttalk to work with my new, unlocked iPhone 5S and saw a whole shelf of Android phones just sitting there. I picked each of them up and felt them in my hand. Other than the cheap plasticky feel, I thought they were onto something with the larger sizes. My iPhone suddenly felt pretty tiny.

If Apple introduces a new size, they should stick to something just under 5" as that was about as big a phone I'd want to hold in one hand.

The older I get, the more difficult it is to see smaller text. Jonny Ive needs to rethink light, thin text on light backgrounds. I love iOS 7, but even with the text tweaks, I find myself squinting often.

Oh...off topic...Apple, add another speaker. I was somewhat miffed that my upgrade from my 4S to the 5S didn't result in an improvement in sound output. Still one tiny speaker. Boo.

I was happy to get Straighttalk working fine and am ecstatic paying a lot less for cellular.
post #70 of 81

New resolution format iPhone (if it comes) is definitely to be announced at WWDC, as I mentioned few times before, since this will above all be developers problem, when Apple solves all the hardware constraints to release it in the first place. Apple doesn't push us to use Auto Layouts and Dynamic Types for nothing. Also the Asset Library in Xcode smells on more viability in terms of screen formats.

 

I don't understand, why is this news anyway...


Edited by poksi - 1/21/14 at 2:52am
post #71 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iOS 8 welcomes you to planet earth.

I am not accepting that as a reasonable argument.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #72 of 81
It's about time Apple!! The argument about large screen not fitting into hand nicely is as old as the original iPhone. They can easily make iPhone 1/2 of an inch wider to accommodate large screen and still getting it to fit nicely into the hand.

I would also like to see iOS (on iPad) getting side-by-side apps functionality. I don't care if they copy this from Windows Mobile or they implement completely their own solution. But this functionality is definitely useful, and whoever denies it is a fool. I do more and more serious work on iPad and switching between apps zillion times in short time is totaly frustrating!

You can do it Apple!
post #73 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Everyone says OLED!

Meanwhile I'm still here waiting for more IGZO :C

I dont think they will use a flexible display so that means no OLED


Edited by iMember - 1/21/14 at 6:01am

 

 

Reply

 

 

Reply
post #74 of 81
The tech press has been begging Apple to return to a summer release schedule for 3 years and it's not going to happen. Same with screen size - the large screen imperative only exists here on the blogs. Reality is that those larger phones don't sell as well.
post #75 of 81
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post
but I think theyll keep them for one more year

 

And then one more year and then one more year and then one more year…

 

It has to end.

 

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You're the only one.

 

Nah, get over yourself.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #76 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post

The things i don't want about iPhone 2014: number 6, 4.5 inch screen, 1920 x 1280 resolution and 400 ppi without a bionic eye

The things i want about iPhone 2014: better number, 4.7  inch screen, less important (2K resolution, 326 ppi or 400 ppi with a bionic eye),
and very important (replacing the IPS LCD with something that doesn't damage your eyes + samsung will go backrupt).

2K (1920 x 1080) resolution 

I agree about not wanting a 4.5" screen, but 4.7"? Too big. Needs to be 4.6".
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
post #77 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclonus5150 View Post

The tech press has been begging Apple to return to a summer release schedule for 3 years and it's not going to happen. Same with screen size - the large screen imperative only exists here on the blogs. Reality is that those larger phones don't sell as well.

They sell pretty well where I live.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #78 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

They sell pretty well where I live.

I'm sure they might but the numbers show that they don't sell at a rate that indicates a mass consumer preference for devices of that size.
post #79 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post



Should be an interesting looking watch.

 

That looks the business.

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #80 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


I agree about not wanting a 4.5" screen, but 4.7"? Too big. Needs to be 4.6".

4.5 not big enough.  Mere 1/2 inch?  Meh.

 

Closer to 5 inch.  'Done.'

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Large-screen iPhone 6 in June, 'iWatch' to use flexible LG OLED display