or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Glass panel at Fifth Ave Apple Store shattered by snowblower

Glass panel at Fifth Ave Apple Store shattered by snowblower

post #1 of 50
After a heavy snowstorm hit New York on Tuesday, clean up crews using snowblowers reportedly shattered one of the fifteen monolithic glass panels that make up the Fifth Avenue Apple Store's iconic 32-foot glass cube.

Shattered
Source: Daniel Levshin via Instagram

An Apple Store employee confirmed to AppleInsider that a single pane positioned in the southeast corner of the cube was badly cracked, but said the store has remained open since the incident and will continue to operate as normal. Apple's Fifth Ave. location is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Word of the breakage first hit the Web late Tuesday as users of social networks posted pictures of the shattered glass slab to services like Instagram and Facebook. In a separate report, an Apple representative told BuzzFeed that a snowblower caused the damage, though exact details of the incident were not revealed.

Apple first unveiled the now-iconic glass cube -- said to be designed by late cofounder Steve Jobs -- in May of 2006, and the location has become one of the most photographed sites in the area.

The company revamped the huge structure's design five years later by replacing what was originally 90 sheets of glass with only 15 large panes. According to reports at the time, the project cost an estimated $6.7 million, including removal of the old unit, installation of the new design and renovation of the surrounding area.

Tuesday wasn't the first time Apple's Fifth Ave. landmark had a run-in with bad weather. Last May, the underground store flooded after water made its way into the cube during a heavy rainstorm. The outlet remained open and later reports cited drainage issues as the culprit.
post #2 of 50
Should've made it from gorilla glass. Because Apple likes to throw stones.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #3 of 50

How careless and sad, that a big beautiful piece of glass like that should get broken.

post #4 of 50
Looks cool !
post #5 of 50
there I was just minding my own business, blowing snow of the hard streets of Manhattan, when BOOM, a frozen cat go scooped up by my blower....now I gotta fill out umpteen reports to umpteen departments, sheesh can a humble city worker never get a break?
post #6 of 50
Insurance
post #7 of 50
Shattered like one of their touch-sensitive internet and telephony devices. How apt?
post #8 of 50

now it looks like an iphone screen

post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Looks cool !

Agreed! The should get out the snowblowers and make them all match.

post #10 of 50
HA HA Woodbine!!!!
post #11 of 50
Come on Appleinsider... How is this front page stuff. Get a grip
post #12 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarligOrm View Post

You do realize that this isn't a newspaper, right? Wait a few days and you will get your wish.

Personally, I don't mind this sort of story. It is interesting and Apple related.

post #13 of 50
Breaking news!
post #14 of 50
Not really shattered, but cracked wouldn't seem as headline worthy.

As we say where I work - if you are working accidents are bound to happen.
post #15 of 50
post #16 of 50
New York's finest...
post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

You do realize that this isn't a newspaper, right? Wait a few days and you will get your wish.

Personally, I don't mind this sort of story. It is interesting and Apple related.
Agreed
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarligOrm View Post

Store front, so goes to front page. Simple, just like Apple.
post #19 of 50

There's a store in George Town, DC that has two of their window panels shattered like that for looks.

bb
bb
post #20 of 50

I just felt that I would fit better at the Backpage section.

post #21 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Breaking news!

Post of the day!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #22 of 50
That's what happens when you put Windows on an Apple. It always crashes.
post #23 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by water cooler View Post

Insurance

I'm sure they had AppleCare+ for it!  ;-)

post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

I could be wrong, but isn't it already past the three years? If so going to cost a bomb! 1wink.gif
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #25 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

What's the copay on a million dollar piece of glass
post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by water cooler View Post

Insurance

Yeah, the snowblower company probably has a blanket liability policy.

Apple almost certainly doesn't have insurance, though.  They're big enough to self-insure.

post #27 of 50

I'm impressed that it's apparently still in place and functioning as a wall.

post #28 of 50
That damaged glass appears to be the southern pane on the east side of the cube. That would make it the East by South East (E x SE) pane.
post #29 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martskin View Post

That's what happens when you put Windows on an Apple. It always crashes.

This is the best response of the day. As for the person complaining about it being non-news, what's wrong with a little fun?

post #30 of 50
NYT headline: Cracks at Apple [Store] start to appear.
Edited by jungmark - 1/22/14 at 7:45am
post #31 of 50

Rule number one when operating a snowblower is never insert your hand into the blower chute to clear an obstruction. Rule number two is never point the blower chute toward something that can be broken, dented, wounded or maimed.

post #32 of 50
Good thing they aren't too far away from the $149.00 in-store repair option...
post #33 of 50

Wow, the news is reporting that it could cost almost a half million dollars to replace!  

I wouldn't want to be that snow blower operator!  

post #34 of 50

I guess Apple should stay away from Windows XP

My question is, how did this happen? Was it the classic hot-air-on-a-cold-object, or was it something else?

post #35 of 50
Apple's 5th Ave store is in the plaza of a large skyscraper. Presumably it was the maintenance crew of the large building who did the damage, since they were cleaning the whole plaza area. Hope they have good insurance.
post #36 of 50

Cracks Appear in Apple's Retail Strategy

Move Aside Google Glass, Apple Glass Will Shatter Expectations

Analysts Find Apple Having Problems With Glass, Lower Forecasts

post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

I guess Apple should stay away from Windows XP

My question is, how did this happen? Was it the classic hot-air-on-a-cold-object, or was it something else?

Read woodbine description above it is probably closer to the true than not...

The reason it is probably safe is due to the fact the surfaces on both side are tempered and the cracks you see are actually on the inside and the outer surfaces are still intact.

post #38 of 50
Apple could use this as a visual promo for their new iPhone screen repair service in stores! The extremely cold weather and winds this season would push the limits on any glass structure.
post #39 of 50
Originally Posted by davidhector View Post
now it looks like an iphone screen

Either that was a joke, which wasn’t funny because it’s not based in any amount of fact, or it was a ‘factual’ statement, which isn’t right.

post #40 of 50

Let me guess, the guy operating the snow blower was South Korean?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Glass panel at Fifth Ave Apple Store shattered by snowblower