or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Glass panel at Fifth Ave Apple Store shattered by snowblower

Glass panel at Fifth Ave Apple Store shattered by snowblower - Page 2

post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

I guess Apple should stay away from Windows XP

My question is, how did this happen? Was it the classic hot-air-on-a-cold-object, or was it something else?

I wouldn't be surprised, the glass is clearly tempered glass so once the fracture process begins nothing is going to stop it. Bit of a shame really, not the biggest fan of Apple's architecture but the cube is extremely cool looking.

post #42 of 50
"Apple: The Cracks Are Beginning To Show"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #43 of 50
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
"Apple: The Cracks Are Beginning To Show"

Apple who stone in glass lives shouldn’t throw houses.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Either that was a joke, which wasn’t funny because it’s not based in any amount of fact, or it was a ‘factual’ statement, which isn’t right.

I dunno. It cracked me up 1smile.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #45 of 50

Just goes to show how awesome that glass is. I'm not sure of the height but for that thing to be that size and remain intact is a testament to the manufacturers of the glass.

I'm not surprised by this at all though in fact I'm more surprised that it hasn't happened earlier. You've got an ice cold pane of glass and then you hit it with a warm blast of air and frankly physics is sooner or later going to take over.

post #46 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

Just goes to show how awesome that glass is. I'm not sure of the height but for that thing to be that size and remain intact is a testament to the manufacturers of the glass.

I'm not surprised by this at all though in fact I'm more surprised that it hasn't happened earlier. You've got an ice cold pane of glass and then you hit it with a warm blast of air and frankly physics is sooner or later going to take over.

The snowblower wouldn't be blowing warm air though: but it would project whatever debris it had ingested out at rather high speed: the single digit cold weather would add to the stress, though I'd expect being at the "top" of the warmed store interior (and with warm air rising...) that the pane's temperature might not have been all that low in the first place, so it may have been a straight on high velocity impact from thrown debris or a thrown blower blade...

post #47 of 50

What a cracking piece of architecture the cube is.

post #48 of 50
I would think it should be obvious: Windows has always been Apple's number one enemy 1biggrin.gif
post #49 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

The snowblower wouldn't be blowing warm air though: but it would project whatever debris it had ingested out at rather high speed: the single digit cold weather would add to the stress, though I'd expect being at the "top" of the warmed store interior (and with warm air rising...) that the pane's temperature might not have been all that low in the first place, so it may have been a straight on high velocity impact from thrown debris or a thrown blower blade...

You'd get warm air from the motor surely. I've never seen a snow blower because we don't have a need for them where I live but if it's anything like my leaf blower there is definitely warm air from the motor not much but would it need that much if the outside temperature is so low?

post #50 of 50
I think the close up shots look quite cool with the broken glass texture. Maybe a combination of sorts in the design might look nice overall. 1smile.gif
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Glass panel at Fifth Ave Apple Store shattered by snowblower