or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Analyst: Apple's 'iPhone 6' design 'locked down' with 4.8" display, 802.11ac Wi-Fi

Analyst: Apple's 'iPhone 6' design 'locked down' with 4.8" display, 802.11ac Wi-Fi

post #1 of 94
Though Apple isn't expected to introduce a new iPhone model for months, one Wall Street analyst claims that the company has already internally "locked down" the design for its next flagship handset, sporting a 4.8-inch display and speedy 802.11ac Wi-Fi connectivity.

iPhone Plus
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.

The details come from analyst Timothy Arcuri of Cowen and Company, who issued a note to investors on Wednesday in which he claimed that much of the design of Apple's next iPhone has been finalized. Citing checks within the company's supply chain, he believes the handset will feature a larger 4.8-inch display, matching the trend of larger smartphones elsewhere in the market.

Arcuri isn't the first to suspect that Apple will launch a larger iPhone model this year, with various earlier rumors suggesting the company has been toying with screen sizes just under 5 inches. One of the most respected Apple analysts, Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, said last September that the company is likely to launch a larger iPhone this year, but that the device will not exceed 5 inches due to Apple's "unwavering principle of one hand use."

As for 802.11ac, the new Wi-Fi standard was added to the Macs Apple updated in 2013, along with Apple's AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule routers. But last year's flagship iPhone 5s remains limited to 802.11n Wi-Fi connections.

Aside from hardware tweaks and design changes, Arcuri also said that Apple is planning "key software innovations" with the next major release of its iOS platform. He expects the company will leverage iBeacon, Touch ID and Passbook as part of a push into new services with mobile payments.

Retina iPad mini review

In many ways, Arcuri said, last year's release of the iPhone 5s was merely a "set-up" for this year's new products. In particular, he believes the 64-bit A7 processor and Touch ID fingerprint sensor will allow Apple to introduce new services that will give it a leg up on the competition.

Arcuri expects Apple to follow its typical annual release schedule and launch a so-called "iPhone 6" in September, though some sources have reportedly indicated to him that a June launch for the next-generation device is "not out of the question."

Also on tap this year, according to Arcuri, is a 13-inch iPad that he expects to "blur the lines between tablets and PCs." The analyst expects that the larger iPad model would likely debut in late 2014.
post #2 of 94
Same rumor, new day.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 94
"Expects" =/= knows.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #4 of 94

Sounds like the obvious sweet spot. I think most people are expecting these changes so no surprises here. I'm really scratching my head what else they can pack into an iPhone......maybe an SD card, HDMI port, USB port, runs Flash, NFC.....hmmmmm.....no, I don't want any of that crap.

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #5 of 94
Please not so ugly as in the mockup
post #6 of 94
Before Apple adds yet more new features, can they please get the basics working, like syncing?
post #7 of 94
is there anyone who does not think that the design of the next iteration is not locked down many months ahead of time? it's not like they sit on their asses for 50 weeks of the year and then two weeks before launch, say "yeah, we're going with blankety-blank, we need five million next week."

what type of special education does it take to be an analyst?
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

post #8 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

Before Apple adds yet more new features, can they please get the basics working, like syncing?

syncing for me has been working without fail for *years*. what specific issue(s) are you having?

maybe calling applecare when you get your new phone would be a good idea?

maybe searching other support apple forums would help (https://discussions.apple.com/).

maybe providing feedback to apple would help (https://www.apple.com/feedback/).

post #9 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Agreed. Samsung and Apple would be in court - again.
post #10 of 94

nothing is locked down except this ANALysts brain

post #11 of 94
Personally, I'm getting tired of the larger and larger screen sizes. Most people that want a bigger screen already have it. I say this with a grain of salt though. I was a big fan of the original iPhone screen size, but I was pleasantly surprised with the iPhone 5/5S screen. However, I have large hands and I do have to stretch sometimes when using one hand (the way I use my phone 90% of the time) so I'll reserve judgement until I see it for myself but if the phone form factor is much larger than the 5S, I won't be thrilled. Perhaps Apple will release a 5C phablet, instead of a flagship phablet.

Rather than a larger screen, I'd like to see Retina where they double the resolution again!
post #12 of 94
I hope they keep the 4" screen around as well, 4.8" is huge.
post #13 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoda View Post

Personally, I'm getting tired of the larger and larger screen sizes. Most people that want a bigger screen already have it. I say this with a grain of salt though. I was a big fan of the original iPhone screen size, but I was pleasantly surprised with the iPhone 5/5S screen. However, I have large hands and I do have to stretch sometimes when using one hand (the way I use my phone 90% of the time) so I'll reserve judgement until I see it for myself but if the phone form factor is much larger than the 5S, I won't be thrilled. Perhaps Apple will release a 5C phablet, instead of a flagship phablet.

Rather than a larger screen, I'd like to see Retina where they double the resolution again!

I agree.  But too me the 5S screen is too tall. 

post #14 of 94
I wish rumor sites would quit reporting on analysts and their "supply chain checks". No supplier working with Apple, that wants to continue working with Apple, is going to leak future products to a Wall Street analyst.
post #15 of 94
Hold on a second.... coincidence? Earnings are at bat. These "new" iPhone sizes always always arrive on schedule with what will likely be a BLOW OUT quarter...

Nothing like these (new screen size) rumors to BLUNT Apples iphone sales....

Who is this guy.? Is he a pro Apple analyst...
post #16 of 94
Not much reason in any newer devices to coming with 802.11ac on them. Especially newer devices. With higher throughputs on a single stream and newer power saving features it is built with mobile to be able to benefit from it. Which makes it odd that the newest iPad went with adding an additional stream rather than putting in AC since they were already adding it to the new Macs.

I personally think the 4.8 range or so is a good size for me. Large screen to view, but at the same time not too big. I had a Galaxy S2 for a while between my iPhone models to try it out. I believe it had a 4.7 on it and that was good for me. I would say i have average sized hands. I have iPads already... I do kot need to carry one in my pocket. Haha
post #17 of 94
Quote:

Just double? Why not to quadruple? So even under microscope it would still stay Retina...
post #18 of 94

Can't wait for the Apple stans to defend this statement, and this statement alone: "Apple is copying Samsung's screen size."

post #19 of 94

As long as it fits in my pocket and I can type with one hand (finger... thumb). I don't want to carry a bag just for my phone!

post #20 of 94
I prefer the speed and camera in my 5s, but still wish it had the 3.5" screen that my 4 had.
post #21 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrochedc View Post

As long as it fits in my pocket and I can type with one hand (finger... thumb). I don't want to carry a bag just for my phone!

It's not an issue for other 4.7"/4.8" smartphones, other than the very occasional shirt pocket. I'd guess Apple has it covered.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #22 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

nothing is locked down except this ANALysts brain

The use of ANAL as a clever (not so much) derogatory twist when referring to analysts is so long in the tooth I am suspecting there are other factors at play here.

post #23 of 94
Originally Posted by mandosound View Post
Which makes it odd that the newest iPad went with adding an additional stream rather than putting in AC since they were already adding it to the new Macs.

Except there were no 11ac chips in existence that were small enough and actually saved power to put in it.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #24 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Can't wait for the Apple stans to defend this statement, and this statement alone: "Apple is copying Samsung's screen size."

Apple Newton had a 6 inch screen.

Now take your clown show under another bridge troll.

post #25 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The use of ANAL as a clever (not so much) derogatory twist when referring to analysts is so long in the tooth I am suspecting there are other factors at play here.

I will stop using when it no longer applies.

post #26 of 94
According to my secret sources that work in the Apple Development Black Projects Lab which is located in the basement, level 3A section of the main building, the iPhone 6 is will be a flip phone that folds in half, then in half again. This allows for a nine inch screen with a real QWERTY mechanical keyboard.

Don't relay this information because it could cause rumors to be spread.
post #27 of 94
Originally Posted by Apple Investor View Post
then in half again.

:lol:

post #28 of 94
Analyst are full of BS. Locked down? In January? Horseshit. They probably have different sized mock- ups with internal testing.
I want Apple to keep the 4" just as a "screw you " to these analysts.
post #29 of 94
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
I want Apple to keep the 4" just as a "screw you " to these analysts.

And also to call it “iPhone 9”.

post #30 of 94
That ainalist should take another job if he thinks a company like apple with the size of market and production and planning they have, lock down specs of a huge product like iphone 6 ...only 7 months before production/ release !
post #31 of 94
Analysts everywhere are already downgrading their predictions based on the rumored spec of the next iPhone when it's placed up against actual specs from Samsung.

"These rumored specs just don't excite me. Samsung's real specs are much better than these rumored, pulled-out-of-my-ass specs."
post #32 of 94

Would be nice to have a larger screen but about the same dimensions as an iPhone 5. Must be doable with an edge-to-edge design. Made a mockup to show it's possible to combine the 'premium' iPhone design with a much larger display.

http://www.xmts.nl/iphone6.html

Huh? Where did the embedded jpeg go?

Edited by macspotter - 1/22/14 at 12:02pm
post #33 of 94

Personally I prefer a large screen (5"+) but I think a single size screen would be a mistake for Apple. Many people like having a powerful phone (top end CPU/GPU) in a small form factor. If true, a 4.8" screen iPhone would likely upset those that like smaller phones while at the same time not satisfy those that want a larger screen.

Although I doubt Apple will do it, they really need two screen sizes. A 4.25" TO 4.5" for the smaller screen people and something about 1" to 1.25" bigger for the big screen folks (same resolution on both would be fine).

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #34 of 94
Quote:

I think that many people are in agreement with you. From the data that has been posted here and on other tech sites the 4" to 5" range seems to be where the majority of the smartphone sales have settled. The phones larger than this have not been selling well. Especially, once the novelty of a huge screen wore off and those that bought those huge phones realized how cumbersome that they were. (Anecdotally, both people that I knew who owned Galaxy Notes no longer have one and have went with ~5" phones.)

The beauty of Apple going with a ~5" screen is that they can quadruple the resolution again (double in both dimensions) and still have a phone in the feasible dpi range of current manufacturing. This would also allow them to easily transition to the larger screen without causing developer pains (similar to the move to retina the first time), and still maintaining a retina class display.

Personally, after using friend's Galaxy phones I have to say that 5" is the largest phone that I can comfortably use. The 4.8" S3 was pretty much perfect feeling in my hand, but the 5" S4 wasn't bad. So, I hope that this is correct.

post #35 of 94

Apple is still selling the 4s as its "cheaper model" even though the 5c was created expressly for that purpose. 

Why? because they STILL have a surplus of parts or buying commitments for 3.5" touch screens that only fit in the 4s.

Now that they finally have 4" in two iPhone models and all iPod touches, do you think they will leapfrog that and release a 5" model this fast?

----------

Also, from a developer's perspective I just reduced one of my app's sizes from 18MB to 3MB... just by removing the startup screens. With so many new device sizes and models to support, why not instead invest my time adding Android support?

post #36 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I rather like the mockup
post #37 of 94
When analysts are proven wrong are they then known as annulysts?
post #38 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Although I doubt Apple will do it, they really need two screen sizes. A 4.25" TO 4.5" for the smaller screen people and something about 1" to 1.25" bigger for the big screen folks (same resolution on both would be fine).

-kpluck

I will be very surprised if Apple doesn't keep two screen sizes. I see them keeping the current 4" model, possibly as a C-class phone and also building a larger ~5" model.

Of course, Apple has shocked me in the past. I was pretty certain that the 5c would be essentially the guts of the 4S in a plastic case at a $100-$200 discount to the discounted iPhone 5 and the top of the line 5s. I never would have guessed that Apple would drop the 5 and keep the 30-pin using 4S. So, who the heck knows what Apple will do.

post #39 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by macspotter View Post

Would be nice to have a larger screen but about the same dimensions as an iPhone 5. Must be doable with an edge-to-edge design. Made a mockup to show it's possible to combine the 'premium' iPhone design with a much larger display.

Using the size comparison tool at PhoneArena you can see there's very little size difference between the iPhone 5S and the MotoX even tho the latter has a significantly larger 4.7" display. Apple won't have a problem with it being "too big" if they choose to go that route IMO.
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Apple-iPhone-5s,Motorola-Moto-X/phones/7710,7885
post #40 of 94
I'm fine with being on the S cycle, went from 3GS to 4S to 5S. The S versions seem to be more mature and tend to fare better after new iOS revisions and support more features that get implemented later on.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Analyst: Apple's 'iPhone 6' design 'locked down' with 4.8" display, 802.11ac Wi-Fi
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Analyst: Apple's 'iPhone 6' design 'locked down' with 4.8" display, 802.11ac Wi-Fi