or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Analyst: Apple's 'iPhone 6' design 'locked down' with 4.8" display, 802.11ac Wi-Fi

Analyst: Apple's 'iPhone 6' design 'locked down' with 4.8" display, 802.11ac Wi-Fi - Page 2

post #41 of 94
I'm going to go on record and say I bet it will not be 4.8".
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #42 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm going to go on record and say I bet it will not be 4.8".

It will be 4.7" 1biggrin.gif

Kidding. I've no idea, but I'd wager a 4" version will stick around no matter what.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #43 of 94

Let's face it.  Every feature Android smartphones have they expect Apple to duplicate or else the iPhone will immediately be dismissed as a contender.  All Wall Street and the smartphone industry wants is to simply pack as many features and specs into a smartphone as possible because they see it as getting more bang for the buck.  From my experience with most of the smartphone users I know it's simply a waste of time and effort.  The average consumer does not need or want the feature set of a Galaxy S4.  Most of those features go unused.  

Complexity does not sell products to the average consumer.  I do believe Apple should offer a larger display for those who want an Apple iPhone with a larger display.  Let's see if that will suddenly increase iPhone sales.  If it does, all well and good.  Apple can afford to experiment to see how well it sells.  In my opinion consumers prefer smartphones or any device in general that has been dumbed down and as a tech-head I see nothing wrong with that.  Why should they get headaches trying to figure out how to use a device?  They should be able to pick up a device and use it without having to read a manual.

post #44 of 94
I think this analyst knows what he is talking about, and it is refreshing to have a balanced and logical perspective. I personally want a larger screen. As for doubling the resolution of Retina, the whole point of 'Retina' is that you couldn't see a higher resolution even if it was there. It would just drain the battery and cost more.
The truth will set you free.
The truth will set you free.
post #45 of 94

Is the analyst willing to stick his neck on this claim? Plenty of people have made false calls in the past,all are highly paid analysts telling their clients to buy or sell Apple shares with a sliver of a rumor. Now if he puts down $1000 for a bet that the iPhone 6 will turn out like this, I will be impressed. Otherwise, it's only a rumor.

post #46 of 94

Since most smart phone brands use the iPhone as the benchmark they tend to market how their phone's 'specs' are better than the current iPhone. The truth is that the overall experience with the device is what counts but there are plenty of spec geeks that believe bigger numbers are simply better (of course that is not always a bad thing).

Next is consumer demand and there is a strong demand for large screen smart phones. Apple has no choice but to offer iPhone's to fulfill this demand or it is money left on the table. I have a feeling that Apple will redesign the iP6 and would be sweet if Apple offers a 5" screen with tiny bottom/top bezels that integrate the home button and phone speaker into the touch screen to make the entire front of the phone one big screen. I know this is tricky with Touch ID but its Apple, they can do it! :) This will also further differentiate iPhones from the Android clones.

post #47 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Let's face it.  Every feature Android smartphones have they expect Apple to duplicate or else the iPhone will immediately be dismissed as a contender.  All Wall Street and the smartphone industry wants is to simply pack as many features and specs into a smartphone as possible because they see it as getting more bang for the buck.  From my experience with most of the smartphone users I know it's simply a waste of time and effort.  The average consumer does not need or want the feature set of a Galaxy S4.  Most of those features go unused.  

Complexity does not sell products to the average consumer.  I do believe Apple should offer a larger display for those who want an Apple iPhone with a larger display.  Let's see if that will suddenly increase iPhone sales.  If it does, all well and good.  Apple can afford to experiment to see how well it sells.  In my opinion consumers prefer smartphones or any device in general that has been dumbed down and as a tech-head I see nothing wrong with that.  Why should they get headaches trying to figure out how to use a device?  They should be able to pick up a device and use it without having to read a manual.

is that really you? 

been liking your posts lately

post #48 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

Apple is still selling the 4s as its "cheaper model" even though the 5c was created expressly for that purpose. 

Why? because they STILL have a surplus of parts or buying commitments for 3.5" touch screens that only fit in the 4s.

The people who claim that 5c was "created expressly" to take on the slot that the 4s occupies are not from Apple.  No one from Apple ever said or hinted this.

Apple products are built on a very tight inventory schedule, it's called Just-in-Time or kanban manufacturing.  For them to have a surplus of parts is sooooo unlikely as to be ridiculous.  Tim Cook's head would explode if he found out they had so much surplus parts left over as to justify continued production.

post #49 of 94
I'm still curious as to why many people here want higher resolution screens with higher pixel densities. The higher the number, the more battery power required. And it wouldn't make a noticeable difference because you already can't see the pixels...
post #50 of 94
Quote:

Apple is still selling the 4s as its "cheaper model" even though the 5c was created expressly for that purpose. 
Why? because they STILL have a surplus of parts or buying commitments for 3.5" touch screens that only fit in the 4s.
Now that they finally have 4" in two iPhone models and all iPod touches, do you think they will leapfrog that and release a 5" model this fast?

I doubt this is true. If a company has surplus parts enough for 10 MM iPhones, it has some problems. Besides, Apple doesn't get all the parts at once. It also can cut orders (remember all those negative hit pieces).
post #51 of 94
I wouldn't imagine that they would drop the iPhone 5 size for a new model exclusively released in a new size. The iPhone 5 screen is pretty much as big as these devices can be for comfortable one-handed use (and even then, the iPhone 5 is pushing boundaries). It is clear that there is an audience for a larger screen, but there is also a very large audience for a phone which is comfortably operated with one hand.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #52 of 94
Quote:
One of the most respected Apple analysts, Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities....

Gosh, this guy keeps getting more and more esteemed with every prediction. In another month or two, I 'spect he'll be described by AI as a "Sainted analyst" or something.

post #53 of 94

Why? 

Because the 5c was not expressly created for that purpose. Question: answered.

With so many new device sizes and models to support, why not instead invest my time adding Android support?

Nice false concern. Get out.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #54 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Can't wait for the Apple stans to defend this statement, and this statement alone: "Apple is copying Samsung's screen size."

If there is such a thing as "copying a phone screen size" then (assuming Apple releases an iPhone with a screen the same size as Samsung) Apple will be doing it. Just like if there is such a thing as "copying making a phone using metal instead of plastic" then (assuming Samsung releases a phone using metal instead of plastic) Samsung will be doing it.

post #55 of 94
a third screen size in two years? Steve is rolling in his grave...
I still want a smaller screen, mobile means small and as such the smaller the better!
post #56 of 94

Another one?!!!

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #57 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

Personally, after using friend's Galaxy phones I have to say that 5" is the largest phone that I can comfortably use. The 4.8" S3 was pretty much perfect feeling in my hand, but the 5" S4 wasn't bad. So, I hope that this is correct.
My guess is we will get a 4.8 inch screen and apple will do an edge to edge display and keep the devise pretty close to its current size.
post #58 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

a third screen size in two years? Steve is rolling in his grave...
I still want a smaller screen, mobile means small and as such the smaller the better!

I used to have a Siemens phone which was tiny. I thought it was brilliant as I could put it in any pocket and at work carry it around in my shirt pocket. It was VERY mobile. But it was awkward to use. So much so that I traded it in for something much less 'cutting edge'. But an iPhone is not a phone alone and as its use changes so does the requirements in terms of size. Interestingly giant sized laptops have virtually disappeared but phones are getting larger. 

post #59 of 94
Analysts don't have to be right, they just have to keep making noise, or else people will stop paying attention to them.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #60 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

I'm still curious as to why many people here want higher resolution screens with higher pixel densities. The higher the number, the more battery power required. And it wouldn't make a noticeable difference because you already can't see the pixels...

Bragging rights. It's what Android was built on.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #61 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Expects" =/= knows.

I thought it was "he believes" that locked it down.

Who knows, maybe it was a diary entry thus = fact.  Right Hoboken Mayor?

/

/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #62 of 94

I don't think they will make the iPhone screen any bigger. As an article on this site pointed out recently, extreme screen sizes like that are not something most people want, more of a desperate attempt by Samsung to get *some* of the high end market that Apple dominates. The iPod Touch could get a bigger screen though, since a lot of people buy them for their kids for gaming.

post #63 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrochedc View Post

As long as it fits in my pocket and I can type with one hand (finger... thumb). I don't want to carry a bag just for my phone!

^Here this^: were I happy with that I'd go with an LTE iPad retina mini...

post #64 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

My guess is we will get a 4.8 inch screen and apple will do an edge to edge display and keep the devise pretty close to its current size.

That would be nice and probably easier with a lighter/smaller device than an iPad which does need to be "gripped" somewhat.

post #65 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I thought it was "he believes" that locked it down.

Analysts also believe that Bigfoot is working for the UFO people.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #66 of 94
Yeah that is a valid point that they may not have had anything during their design phase, but there were mobile devices that had the around the same time that were coming out as well. Just do not see the point for the second stream at the point they did it, but if the can offset the extra device drain then it really does not matter.
post #67 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

The higher resolution would be required for a 4.8" display. The current Retina resolution would fall to 272 ppi if it were stretched over 4.8".

But even the current Retina display is noticeably less sharp than the 1080p displays on the market. For example, the Moto X has a pixel density of about 316 ppi, which is almost identical to the 326 of the iPhone. It's perfectly satisfactory for most people, but when you hold it side by side with the HTC One, which has the same size screen but a 1080p resolution (468 ppi), the difference is quite clear.
post #68 of 94

If they do make the screen bigger, I wonder if they'll add more megapixels to the camera so the pictures still fit

post #69 of 94
Originally Posted by Emes View Post
If they do make the screen bigger, I wonder if they'll add more megapixels to the camera so the pictures still fit

Wh… what?

post #70 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wh… what?

If they make the screen larger it'll probably mean more pixels, which means an 8.7 megapixel photo won't take up the same amount of the screen

It's called scaling, a very basic principle

post #71 of 94
If they make the screen larger it'll probably mean more pixels, which means an 8.7 megapixel photo won't take up the same amount of the screen

An 8.7 megapixel image is ludicrously larger than the iPhone’s screen resolution.

post #72 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Please not so ugly as in the mockup

Apple is not like samsung
post #73 of 94

I hope this is the year Apple finally decides to build two different sizes of iPhone. Different parts of the market have different priorities and choice is good. Yes it would complicate the product line and supply chain, but every other full-featured Apple device with a built-in display comes in two sizes (iPad, iMac, MBAir, MBPro) and when it comes to something handheld one size cannot fit all.

They could lose a lot of customers if the only new iPhone is too big. A full-powered small one must remain in the lineup regardless of what else they do.

post #74 of 94
Quote (from the article):
 ....the device will not exceed 5 inches due to Apple's "unwavering principle of one hand use."

What, people's hands have gotten bigger since 2007 (when the original was pointed described as the right size for one-handed use)...??

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #75 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

An 8.7 megapixel image is ludicrously larger than the iPhone’s screen resolution.

Alright then. My mistake.

Still, with a larger device there'll be room for a much larger sensor, so I'm expecting major camera upgrades

post #76 of 94
Apple likes having a standard screen size for iPhone, I doubt they'd release two separate sized flagship handsets. I believe they will release a larger iPhone 6, and over the next 2 or so years with the 6s and such products they will see how the market takes to the size. Similar to the 4inch iPhone 5, and they've learnt people still want bigger. My predictions are as followed after 2013:

iPhone 5s (4inch)
iPhone 5c (4 inch)
iPhone 4S (3.5 inch)

iPhone 6 (4.8 inch)
iPhone 5s (4 inch)
iPhone 5c (4 inch)

iPhone 6s (4.8 inch)
iPhone 6c (4.8 inch)
iPhone 5s (4 inch)

This will slowly bring the new size as a standard and it will become cheaper and cheaper. It also allows a redesign every year, from the 5C, to the 6, to the 6C.. To keep things interesting and fresh. It also allows for the three price points to continue. They won't release an updated 4inch iPhone beside a larger new iPhone 6... The iPhone 5s is 'forward thinking', it is a phone that will support many updates to come and will be at a cheaper price point. If iOS 8 comes with proper mobile payments, implementing iBeacons and Touch ID, the 5S will already support that.
post #77 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Analysts also believe that Bigfoot is working for the UFO people.

If UFOs had people then they wouldn't be UFOs. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #78 of 94
Quote:

Still, with a larger device there'll be room for a much larger sensor, so I'm expecting major camera upgrades

While you're finally making some sense that's not necessarily true. The iPad/mini are huge and the camera is the same as the iPhone.
post #79 of 94
Quote:

Probably not in MPs. In reality, unless you're making poster prints, 5MP is good.
post #80 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

While you're finally making some sense that's not necessarily true. The iPad/mini are huge and the camera is the same as the iPhone.

Umm...thanks? But people aren't taking that many pictures with their iPads.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Analyst: Apple's 'iPhone 6' design 'locked down' with 4.8" display, 802.11ac Wi-Fi
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Analyst: Apple's 'iPhone 6' design 'locked down' with 4.8" display, 802.11ac Wi-Fi