or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5c boasts most available advertised memory, Samsung Galaxy S4 declared 'biggest memory hog'

Apple's iPhone 5c boasts most available advertised memory, Samsung Galaxy S4 declared 'biggest... - Page 3

post #81 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

You're absolutely right on this point. However, it's a lot trickier than you realise because you still need to have the concept of folders.

Tricky = yes. Folder concept = unnecessary.

The hierarchal data system was most definitely needed at the time it was developed and with the hardware available at the time.... for nothing else other than speed and using a paradigm that people could use and make sense of learning how to translate "analog" tasks to "digital" workflows.

In the very near future, we will have the technology to be using basically "living" objects as storage mediums. You may have heard of "organic storage". In that realm data itself is moving around at the speed of electricity itself i.e. no moving parts. SD and flash storage 2.0 so to speak. At the time that becomes feasible, we need really only a better way to catalogue the data and how to access it... rather than how it's stored and in what kind of filing system. Meta-tagging does that, along with fluid tagging via time-stamps and predictive usage scenarios.

The storage itself learns from you're usage patterns, and pushes data "globules" to the forefront via "natural language and predictable action sets".

The easiest way to understand this is to look into data science techniques and algorithms used today by Twitter, FB and Co. to push and even predict trends.

Visually speaking, it's basically "word and tag clouds" on serious steroids 1smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

iOS solution of this is to delegate the file managing troubles to Apps.  They wanted to change old habit to search for a document first and launch the related apps by opening documents from the Finder.  Instead, on iOS each apps manage their own files and if you want to view one document with another Apps, you've got a "share" button that send a copy of the files within another apps on the devices.  So each apps become a "folder" and offert their own way of managing their contents. 

I agree, this is not the optimal way for working on a project that need many media of different types like desktop computing are means to, but for media consumption this is a way to avoid the needs of a file manager. 

Think "meta-data (base)". My take on a separate thread a few days ago.

Dynamic meta-tagging will be used in the future to keep projects together. The system will know when, where and how you added a picture to a document. It will know where you edited the picture and with which app. And will also know where, when and in how many places you can access the picture (incl. parent RAW and sibling JPGs), the document itself and/or derivatives of it that have been "published" (JPG, PDF, DropBox, iCloud, email, etc.).

A peek into this kind of workflow TODAY can be found if you venture into using the new Final Cut Pro X. THE most important part of learning FCPX is to understand the "meta-tagging" i.e. the filing system. If you don't get that down in your head, you will be lost(!).

Also, Mavericks and Apple's fusion drive make use of "floating data" and internal meta-tagging to move most used apps and data to the fastest portion of a disk. In the case of Fusion Drives, to the SD portion. In addition, Apple as well as other companies like Oracle (formerly Sun), Microsoft and Google, are working on a new file system based on ZFS and ZFS+. Without going into details, the tech is very similar to what Apple does with FD.

As always, Apple is leading the revolution and innovation... by "forcing" it's users to learn how to walk before they can run with cloud-sync, iTunes, App Stores, and other apps and suites like FCPX and iWorks. Baby-steps into the future of computing. Apple is getting people used to the idea of using "libraries" i.e. databases of information and moving "data cells" around (searching and sorting) to suit their needs. They are NOT doing this because they're big meanies and hate their users by a long shot!

On the other hand, Microsoft and Google's OEMs are giving people far too many choices to work around the eventuality of the tech we will be seeing in the near future. Neither of those companies nor their hardware OEMs think about educating their customers and fans, rather than just sell them what they want tomorrow for as much as they can. What they are truly doing is selling their customer base down the river, because boatloads of engineers at these companies know exactly where we're heading and what we will be using for hardware. They just don't have the pull with the bean-counters at their respective co's like the ones running Apple do. Yes! Engineers "run" Apple.... and to a similar degree, same at Google. That's why MS is having such a hard time of it these days.... but I digress... sorry.

Every single day I have to show people what sync is all about, why an iTunes or iPhoto library is far, FAR more powerful than dropping MP3's or JPGS into a folder somewhere. Every single person that get's that "light bulb" moment after throwing away what they "knew" about PCs or folders... is stunned that this is available TODAY and is so freakin' easy to bend one piece of data, into any shape or form you want to find it again and use it... NOW. Not after you've waded thru a 100 folders for the last few minutes looking for "DCS_127"... because you have at least 25 of them with that name but you also know you sent an invitation with it to Uncle Bill like a year ago(???) OR the other scenario: I think it's kinda like a mix between grunge, rock and pop somewhere between 1995 - 2001 (??????). Was it Napster I pulled it from or Limewire?? Let's just look for it on YouTube.

Congratulations: the largest meta-database the world has ever known comes into play, but many decide to reject the very principle and tech behind simple "search" on their device? NOTE: I have attempted to ask people how they think Google or their search engine of choice finds all that stuff across a trillion or so pages on the internet... and so fast. The blank stare I receive in return is normally priceless 1smoking.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

I didn't say "stole". I really don't understand this forum sometimes. Did Android have a notification bar and similar notifications before iOS? Yes.

No... they did not. iOS hat it first on Jailbroken iPhones. The concept was taken, expanded upon and added to Android. About a year later or so the developer of the Notification Center on Cydia started working for Apple. Google it.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #82 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

No... they did not. iOS hat it first on Jailbroken iPhones. The concept was taken, expanded upon and added to Android. About a year later or so the developer of the Notification Center on Cydia started working for Apple. Google it.

Android developers couldn't have "stolen" the idea from Cydia iPhone jailbreakers since the notification you remember came out several months after it was demoed on Android in the intro video from Nov. 2007 (about 2 min, in). It doesn't matter in any event. IMHO neither iOS nor Android "stole" from the other but both are better because of the other.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egxNkU5__hU
Edited by Gatorguy - 1/25/14 at 9:43am
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #83 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Wow, so much fanboyisme in this post....

1) Out of the box, the Galaxy S4 total storage doesn't exceeds the iPhone, the opposite is true.

2) Android devices are locked down until you root the phone, like any other iOS and WP8 phones.

3) Unlike most Android phones, there is no third party bloat ware to take care of on iOS

4) You know many critics said the same things about the non-expandable storage of the iPod, 11 years later, most SD bases MP3 player as disappear from market today.

Like you said in an earlier post, you need some hacking and third party apps for using external storage likes the internal one. This is not a solution for most non-tech savvy Android users

The average person just wants to use the device. Look at other devices and how many accessories do you really own for it? Nintendo Wii/U Xbox? The former has fixed storage and the SD card slot while the latter uses USB connected hard drives but you can't just buy a cheap drive on your own, but you can use 8GB of any USB connected storage for it.

Like I think it was a mistake to not have a microSDXC slot on the iPhone/iPad but most people never buy more than one card during the lifetime of the device, so just buying the amount of storage you need from the start is still the better option. The removable storage is a necessity on professional content creation devices like DSLR's and Professional Grade Video cameras (eg RED,) because you'll wear out the internal storage pretty darn quick as you repeatedly create and erase large files, and you can't monopolize the hardware that is needed for content capture for transferring it to the computer.

So it's not a huge loss to not have the SD cards, but I think we need to quit fooling ourselves and drop the 16GB models, when 25% of the space is taken by the operating system.

Mobile networks are absolutely salivating at the concept of cloud services because they plan to make a mint on the overage charges, but really the high price of wireless data just ensures that the networks remain underutilized while users use WiFi at home and at the Office, and only use the mobile data while on the road for things like Google Maps, not streaming radio/video.
post #84 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Android developers couldn't have "stolen" the idea from Cydia iPhone jailbreakers since the notification you remember came out several months after it was demoed on Android in the intro video from Nov. 2007 (about 2 min, in). It doesn't matter in any event. IMHO neither iOS nor Android "stole" from the other but both are better because of the other.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egxNkU5__hU

OK... I stand corrected.

Thanks for the link.

BTW.. what a stark contrast to what eventually made it to market AND for lack of a better word to describe the quality of the presentation, "amateur" comes to mind and certainly not what you would expect from a technological leader like Google... 1smoking.gif
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iPhone 5c boasts most available advertised memory, Samsung Galaxy S4 declared 'biggest memory hog'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5c boasts most available advertised memory, Samsung Galaxy S4 declared 'biggest memory hog'