or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › WSJ: Apple to launch two larger iPhones this year, scrap iPhone 5c
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WSJ: Apple to launch two larger iPhones this year, scrap iPhone 5c - Page 6

post #201 of 240

No, i think you need to read my statement again. i didn't say it was a strategy. i am sure you are correct in saying it did not live up to Apple's expectation too. all i am saying is, it probably is good thing it didnt live up to their expectation. 

post #202 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Hey AI, can you post just one article about this bullshit and then delete it.

There will be no 5+" iPhone this year or ever.

 

Appleinsider is all about *rumors*; no *insider* news. 

post #203 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post
 

I've yet to see an iPhone 5c in the wild. To be fair I don't look that closely though and I haven't seen thousands of 5S either. But I've definitely seen those.

 

I went to a dance show at one of the local high schools. Middle to upper middle. Almost all the girls that I saw in the audience, and I'm talking 120-150, were hanging onto phones. I saw a few 5, a few 5s, a few flavors of Samsung, a 4 or 4s or two, an HTC... but not one 5c... and I was looking hard (MOM!! What's that creepy old dude looking at??!!). Most of the parents seemed to be holding onto one type of iPhone or another with a few Samsungs in the mix.

 

I expected to see at least one 5c... but...

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #204 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

I went to a dance show at one of the local high schools. Middle to upper middle. Almost all the girls that I saw in the audience, and I'm talking 120-150, were hanging onto phones. I saw a few 5, a few 5s, a few flavors of Samsung, a 4 or 4s or two, an HTC... but not one 5c... and I was looking hard (MOM!! What's that creepy old dude looking at??!!). Most of the parents seemed to be holding onto one type of iPhone or another with a few Samsungs in the mix.

 

I expected to see at least one 5c... but...

IMO, Apple set (even) high(er) expectations on themselves when they released the 4. That premium eschewed plastic and use more 'real-world' materials. Jobs likened it to a Leica camera. The argument that 3 and 3gs were plastic and sold well became moot because of the 4, the 4S and the 5. 

 

Not a bad thing, mind, but going back to plastic, even Jony Ives unicorn plastic, was always going to be a retrograde step.

 

Now, these things might be selling like hotcakes, but anecdotally, this part of the world doesn't seem the least bit interested in hotcakes. I think Apple may decide the 'fun' strategy isn't worth the R&D required to fit the same guts in a new shell year after year. I think we'll see the return of last year's models being knocked down a peg or two to accommodate the new model. 

post #205 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by itpromike View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post
 

 

You've already shown you know nothing about design.

Children's toys are not small. They are oversized and exaggerated.

 

So, pocketability, and use with a single hand is worthless to you. Personally, I've always been waiting for the iPhone-Mini. But, that's just me.

 

Some shoes to go with your phablet:

 

No, what I"m saying is that 'pocketability' and one handed use doesn't have to sacrifice for screen size and vice versa. The Moto X essentially is all screen and is quite compact as well as fits fine in just one hand and for one hand use. All this while fitting in normal pockets; slacks/business attire as well as normal sized jeans. You can make all the jokes and use all the funny pictures you want, it doesn't change the fact that larger screens can be had along with 'pocketability' and one handed use.... Apple just hasn't done it yet and again are slow to the party. Now you can argue that the several people I've seen using the Moto X purchased special pants just to use the phone so it could slide so effortlessly in and out of their pocket... You can also argue that they might have gotten a hand transplant to be able to use it with one hand (yup I can say silly things that don't really aide my point too)... however when I test drove one for my job I assure you no special accommodations of the like were made and it was a joy to handle and shaped in such a way that it actually felt better than my 5S in some ways.

 Moto X

Yes,  very pretty. Great for people who care more about fashion than use.

I mean how do you use that phone with all the Apps that utilize standing the devise on it's edge or on it's end?

How do you use it for all the various uses and apps that utilize laying the device flat on it's back?


Edited by BobSchlob - 1/23/14 at 6:39pm
post #206 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by marubeni View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post
 

 

Absolutely.

No one hand use; No sale.

 

I have an HTC One with a 4.9" (I think) display, and there is absolutely no problem using it with one hand.

 

Yep. See people do it all the time.

If you don't mind shimmying the thing around in your hand, then it's "absolutely no problem".

I mind. 

Guess that's why there's more than one phone on this planet.

post #207 of 240

I stand by my opinion that people look like funny when they hold 6"+ phones up to their ear. And you add all of the E.T. beeps they make. Clowns.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #208 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post
 

 

I watched some guy standing in a grocery store checkout line. Holding grocery basket in one hand, and "name-your-brand" phablet in the other. I literally had to laugh watching the thing flop around in his hand like a live fish as he tried to navigate the screen. Very comical.

 

Perhaps I should then take some pride in the fact that I manage my life in a way that does not require trying to navigate a pocket computer screen while standing in line at the grocery store. Or dangling the kid. Or unlocking the door. The problem isn't screen size, it's people not knowing when to leave the freakin' phone alone for a few goddam seconds! :)

 

Yeah, you're right. And you should be proud, by golly!

People using their handheld computer while waiting in line…

Sheesh! Some people really need to get a life, right?

post #209 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post
 

Nothing more amusing than watching some clown put a tablet up to his ear, oh wait it is a phone.

 

WSJ analysts are the clowns!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itpromike View Post
 

Your perspective is laughable at best. 5.5+" phones sure, this comment would be applicable. Note3's are insanely large... However 4.8" is the bare minimum in this juncture of the industry. I'm tired (as many other I know) of looking at a teeny tiny screen, squinting just to make out text on some things or feeling like I'm watching a video on a small childs toy. A larger screen = a better viewing experience for all content and consumption. And no, I'm not carrying around an iPad mini as some have suggested just t have a larger viewing experience. Why carry around 2 devices when 1 will do (if the 1 device is done right)?

I really don't think my statements are laughable.

 

The 6"+ phones look ridiculous. 

WSJ analysts are clowns.

 

I don't take these predictions seriously. If anything they are just attempts at manipulating the stock or analysts only trying to justify their existence. 

 

A 4.8" phone might be a successful model for Apple. It might not. My concern is that Apple starts to A) Splinter their product line B) Appear to be chasing Samsung or others. Neither are good for the brand.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #210 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You could say the same about an iPhone 4 or 4s screen as well. Open up an app like Modern War,  Kingdom Age, Clash of Clans, Netflix, Youtube, and dozens more of the most popular apps and you will see exactly the same thing on a 3.5", 4", or 5" display. But which is easier to read the small texts that often appear or touch the often tiny small icons on the display? A larger display gives a far better experience. Bigger displays are coming and feel free to stick with your tiny 4" screen if you prefer but after 4 years of waiting for something larger I will be a very happy iPhone customer with a larger display. 

My Galaxy S4,
sits in a drawer,
It was such a bore,
I use it no more,
Low on storage big on screen
Like Samsung becoming a has been.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #211 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Apple will keep the 4" version around for people that give a flying frack about one handed use. But guess what, there is a whole lot of people that don't care about one handed use and want all the goodness that comes with a larger display. Choice is a good thing. Do you use your iPhone with one hand while you use all the apps that are landscape mode only? There are a lot of them. I can type texts with one hand but I can type twice as fast with two hands in landscape mode. Why do people keep talking about one handed use as if this the one feature all iPhone users demand when I see so many already using the current iPhone with 2 hands. 

And your price predictions were also way off. Apple will keep the same prices as they have now. There is no way they would sell an unlocked iPhone 6 for $550 when the equivalent 5s now sells for $649. The 6 will start at $649 just like the 5s. 

Here I sit, sandwich in hand
Replying to you, life's pretty grand.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #212 of 240
I can see Apple making a bigger phone but think they will rename it something different to take the phablet name away from it. iPhab or iPhone B (big) lame.
post #213 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully54 View Post

It really was interesting (some would say strange) what apple did to the iPhone line last year. They didn't just release one *new* iPhone, the 5s, they released two (as in apple considers the 5c a completely new product even thought internally it isn't).

Releasing two new iPhones a year has set a precedent for apple. I don't think they would go back to releasing just one ever year.

So how come it works on China Mobile's network?

If it wasn't internally different?
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #214 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

I've yet to see an iPhone 5c in the wild. To be fair I don't look that closely though and I haven't seen thousands of 5S either. But I've definitely seen those.

I've seen a handful of 5Cs in the wild. Mostly with teenagers.
post #215 of 240
Took long enough for the "smart" guys at Apple to figure out a larger screen would appeal to a certain percentage of consumers. Then again this is a company that thought it knew what color its customers wanted.
post #216 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post
 

The Moto G is more similar in performance to the 4S (which sells for $479 right now) than to the 5c. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

FRICK!!!

 

Stop this BS.  Google losses money on every phone they sale.  Motorolla lost $1,000,000,000 last year.

 

You can't compare this to an iPhone and expect Apple to sell at a loss. 

 

The MotoG has no 4G LTE

The camera is horrible

Web browsing is slow and choopy

And of course its a direct line to Google spyware

 

It may not be junk but its not even close to the 5C

 

You both are missing the point.  I'm not comparing the Moto G to the 5C.  I'm saying that there is plenty of room at the low end of the market for Apple to sell a profitable iPhone.

 

And sog35, I've watched several in depth video reviews about the Moto G and none complained about slow or choppy performance.  They cut costs by eliminating the LTE radio and choosing a lower quality camera, among other cutbacks.  Nothing that they cut out leads to a bad experience, especially not for $180.

post #217 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

There really isn't that much difference between what you can see on an iPhone 5 sized screen and it's unwieldy Android competitors.

 

?! You haven't held an iPhone side-by-side with a Galaxy, have you? I have, which is why I now want a bigger iPhone.

 

If the little, tiny Asian women, who seem to be the primary buyers of phones with enormous screens around here, can manage them without trouble, it seems odd that you consider them "unwieldy."

post #218 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post
 

 

Yeah, you're right. And you should be proud, by golly!

People using their handheld computer while waiting in line…

Sheesh! Some people really need to get a life, right?

 

Yes.

 

Seriously, yes.

 

Honestly, what the hell is going on in his life that's so bloody important it couldn't wait 30 freakin' seconds until he could use it without gymnastics?

 

That aside, a little less "nose buried in the screen in public places" and a little more "pay attention to what's going on around you, dipshit" would go a LOOONG way toward making this a better world.

post #219 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post
 

 

The big, fat difference between the 5C (aka iPhone IIvx) and the devices above was that they did NOT have as prime reason for launch price/marketability considerations. They were seen as the best in their respective segments, period.

 

No matter how much you seem to by trying, I don't think anyone else is going to call the 5c iPhone IIvx. I'm sure you think it is really clever but no, not that clever.

post #220 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The 3G and 3GS were plastic phones (and flagship models to boot). I don't remember people complaining about them being plastic. All the reviews I've read from 5C owners have been positive. The only people that seem to have an issue with the 5C are those who never were going to buy it anyway.

First I have no issue with the 5c whatsoever... and was considering it. But the 3G was then and nobody had a chance to see it up aginst the beauty of the 4 or the sleak and sexy elegance of the 5.

I rarily if ever second guess Apple's design decisions over the last decade or so, but I do believe they "possibly" could ahve found a better way to differentiate the 5c and 5s without going to such a material change. However... i'm sure they have their internal reasons for doing so which will come out some day.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #221 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post



You both are missing the point.  I'm not comparing the Moto G to the 5C.  I'm saying that there is plenty of room at the low end of the market for Apple to sell a profitable iPhone.

And sog35, I've watched several in depth video reviews about the Moto G and none complained about slow or choppy performance.  They cut costs by eliminating the LTE radio and choosing a lower quality camera, among other cutbacks.  Nothing that they cut out leads to a bad experience, especially not for $180.

Using substandard parts isn't Apple's MO. In fact, they improved some parts in the 5C compared to the 5.
post #222 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Using substandard parts isn't Apple's MO. In fact, they improved some parts in the 5C compared to the 5.

 

And made others worse. There has been much ink spilled about the flaky motion sensor at compass in the 5(c, s) series -- as far as I know, c is not known to be worse than s in this respect, that's true.

post #223 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by marubeni View Post
 

 

And made others worse. There has been much ink spilled about the flaky motion sensor at compass in the 5(c, s) series -- as far as I know, c is not known to be worse than s in this respect, that's true.

 

Made others worse? Um, no.

 

Regarding this "much spilled ink" thing you made reference to (one of an exceedingly few "issues" found with the new handsets)... it's widely known that they changed suppliers for the sensors, and discovered the new sensors needed to be calibrated differently. It's fixed now (at least, is fixed for anyone who bothered to update iOS).

 

Absolutely nothing to do with Apple using substandard parts. They upgraded and improved the internals of the "iPhone 5" and put that into a new case design and called it the 5c. 

 

So in fact, they improved some, and.... didn't make any "worse" as far as anyone knows... refer to the iFixIt article which stripped down the 5c. Nothing "substandard" or "worse" in there. They'd have noted it.

 

What's your point?

post #224 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post
 

 

Made others worse? Um, no.

 

Regarding this "much spilled ink" thing you made reference to (one of an exceedingly few "issues" found with the new handsets)... it's widely known that they changed suppliers for the sensors, and discovered the new sensors needed to be calibrated differently. It's fixed now (at least, is fixed for anyone who bothered to update iOS).

 

Absolutely nothing to do with Apple using substandard parts. They upgraded and improved the internals of the "iPhone 5" and put that into a new case design and called it the 5c.

 

So in fact, they improved some, and.... didn't make any "worse" as far as anyone knows... refer to the iFixIt article which stripped down the 5c. Nothing "substandard" or "worse" in there. They'd have noted it.

 

What's your point?

 

They changed vendors why?  I am guessing because the new vendor gave them a better price. They (Apple) presumably figured it would not make any difference. It did (I don't use the compass so much, but racing games were playing a lot worse on the new devices).  And they did not do proper testing (again, because testing, presumably, costs money).  So, worse. Otherwise, yes, iFixit is the ultimate arbiter of truth, I forgot that.

post #225 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

Hmmmm... I guess it depends on one's description of a "flop".

 

I have always contended that it hasn't lived up to Apple's expectations. Whether that could be called a flop or not would be up for debate.

 

Heh, just to give you an idea of how variable and how far removed from rationality an individuals (or a groups) description / definition of "flop" can be -- Consider Nintendo's last generation Wii console; some internet "know it all" gamers continue to contend it was a flop. It didn't do HD graphics, or 5.1 audio, and had only a very rudimentary "online" network. Yet it was a "flop" that sold +100 Million consoles (PS1 sold 105 million) and was just shy of 1 billion software sales. Which, of course, was more then either of its competitors.

 

Where as the Nintendo DS, "was a huge success because it had basically zero competition." A direct quote from one idiot who just can't bring himself to admit that the Playstation Portable was outsold. Which, mind you, sold 80 million hardware units, and was hardly "basically zero competition". Don't you dare call the Playstation Portable a "flop" to him, or any other gamer unless you want to be laughed at. Yet, were it the other way around, there would be no question that the Nintendo DS would be called and labeled a flop. By the way, Playstation 3 isn't a flop either, despite selling only half as well as its predecessor.

 

Is the iPhone 5c a flop? Sure, in relation to iPhone 5s sales. But, very likely, I'd gather it has outsold every other phone besides the Samsung Galaxy. Please correct me otherwise.


Edited by 31 Flavas - 1/24/14 at 12:59pm
post #226 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Flavas View Post

 

Is the iPhone 5c a flop? Sure, in relation to iPhone 5s sales. But, very likely, I'd gather it has outsold every other phone besides the Samsung Galaxy. Please correct me otherwise.

 

In the US it was running #3 on all carriers about 2 months ago but it's hard to say where it stands now. I suspect the Cannacord numbers will be out again soon.

 

As far as the success rate of the 5c in China and other parts of Asia... I'd guess that it is sitting about #5 or #6. Europe, maybe #4 or #5.

 

Whether the US, Asia or Europe... I really don't think the 5c has lived up to Apple's expectations.

 

To me the 5c is sitting right on the edge of the flop fence... because it all depends on who is doing the measuring. A flop because it didn't sell a few million units... no... it sold plenty. A flop because it might not have lived up to Apple's expectations... yes, if that is true.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #227 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post
 

 

Yeah, you're right. And you should be proud, by golly!

People using their handheld computer while waiting in line…

Sheesh! Some people really need to get a life, right?

 

Yes.

 

Seriously, yes.

 

Honestly, what the hell is going on in his life that's so bloody important it couldn't wait 30 freakin' seconds until he could use it without gymnastics?

 

That aside, a little less "nose buried in the screen in public places" and a little more "pay attention to what's going on around you, dipshit" would go a LOOONG way toward making this a better world.

 

I don't know, maybe he was using his phone for an emergency (seems silly, I know)

But it's definitely too bad you're not in a position to dictate to people when and where they should use their devices. It would be great if you were. I'd lick your boots all day long. You're just so insightful.

post #228 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Where's your source that it was a flop? Point me to sales data from Apple that shows it was a flop.

 

Point me to sales data from Apple that shows it wasn't...

post #229 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Point me to sales data from Apple that shows it wasn't...

9 MM 5C and 5S in the first weekend.
post #230 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post
 

 

Point me to sales data from Apple that shows it wasn't...

 

It's neither here nor there. Apple has never broken down individual model sales figures and they probably never will. If they sold less 5c's then that only means they sold a helluva lot more 5s's, which I seriously doubt they're worried about. People calling the 5c a "flop" have absolutely no basis in doing so, other than some personal bias. I don't think anyone has called it a success either, but that's not the point of the 5c. It was designed to specifically replace the 5, which was somewhat of a nightmare to produce; being both complicated and expensive. At the same time it also offered an alternate new design direction to split the iPhone into two distinct lines: "Fun!" and "Hi-Tech". It was also a brilliant marketing move, people that like the design of the 5 no longer have a choice and have to go for the top tier model.

 

I just find it funny that people who don't like something, have to convince themselves that it's wrong and is failing. I've seen this reaction with the 5c as well as iOS 7 - as with any new and drastic changes made to most things in life.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #231 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
 

 

It's neither here nor there. Apple has never broken down individual model sales figures and they probably never will. If they sold less 5c's then that only means they sold a helluva lot more 5s's, which I seriously doubt they're worried about. People calling the 5c a "flop" have absolutely no basis in doing so, other than some personal bias. I don't think anyone has called it a success either, but that's not the point of the 5c. It was designed to specifically replace the 5, which was somewhat of a nightmare to produce; being both complicated and expensive. At the same time it also offered an alternate new design direction to split the iPhone into two distinct lines: "Fun!" and "Hi-Tech". It was also a brilliant marketing move, people that like the design of the 5 no longer have a choice and have to go for the top tier model.

 

I just find it funny that people who don't like something, have to convince themselves that it's wrong and is failing. I've seen this reaction with the 5c as well as iOS 7 - as with any new and drastic changes made to most things in life.

 

Yup... that's the reason... uh huh... yesiree...

 

... oh boy.

 

By the way... if the 5 was such a nightmare to produce why did Apple go back to the same design to build the 5s?

 

<rolls eyes>

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #232 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post
 

I don't know, maybe he was using his phone for an emergency (seems silly, I know)

But it's definitely too bad you're not in a position to dictate to people when and where they should use their devices. It would be great if you were. I'd lick your boots all day long. You're just so insightful.

 

Yeah, because bemoaning an epidemic lapse of common sense is the equivalent of championing dictatorial authority, right? :no: 


Edited by v5v - 1/24/14 at 11:46pm
post #233 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

Yup... that's the reason... uh huh... yesiree...

 

... oh boy.

 

By the way... if the 5 was such a nightmare to produce why did Apple go back to the same design to build the 5s?

 

<rolls eyes>

 

The reason they stuck with the same design is for the same reason they've been on a regular two year redesign schedule since the 3G, it's cost effective to make the most use out of current manufacturing, materials, parts, and assembly lines. You add new components and keep the same production methods, this allows you to balance the cost and keep your margins. Furthermore, dropping the 5 and utilizing all the current lines to produce the 5s allowed them to meet demand much quicker.

 

It apparently wasn't cost effective to use the same production methods and drop the price of the device $100US. So, my GUESS is that Apple decided to move to a new, less complex production method using less expensive materials, thus the 5c. As I said, at the same time it offered them a distinct second line of iPhones AND a marketing ploy to move customers up to their latest flagship phone.

 

By the way, there is no IF about it being a difficult product to produce; an executive from Foxconn has gone on the record stating that it is/was, which has kept yields relatively low. The recent addition of the Touch ID sensor under the Home button just added another level of complexity.

 

 

It's just a theory based off logic. Hell, at least I tried to guess why Apple would break from tradition. At the very least you can add something to this discussion other than rolling your eyes, perhaps you can enlighten us with another theory?

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #234 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
 

 

The reason they stuck with the same design is for the same reason they've been on a regular two year redesign schedule since the 3G, it's cost effective to make the most use out of current manufacturing, materials, parts, and assembly lines. You add new components and keep the same production methods, this allows you to balance the cost and keep your margins. Furthermore, dropping the 5 and utilizing all the current lines to produce the 5s allowed them to meet demand much quicker.

 

It apparently wasn't cost effective to use the same production methods and drop the price of the device $100US. So, my GUESS is that Apple decided to move to a new, less complex production method using less expensive materials, thus the 5c. As I said, at the same time it offered them a distinct second line of iPhones AND a marketing ploy to move customers up to their latest flagship phone.

 

By the way, there is no IF about it being a difficult product to produce; an executive from Foxconn has gone on the record stating that it is/was, which has kept yields relatively low. The recent addition of the Touch ID sensor under the Home button just added another level of complexity.

 

 

It's just a theory based off logic. Hell, at least I tried to guess why Apple would break from tradition. At the very least you can add something to this discussion other than rolling your eyes, perhaps you can enlighten us with another theory?

 

Well, there it is, folks. MJ has just told you that the 5s will not be offered in the second slot this year. There will be two new designs for the 1st and 2nd slots and the 5c will move down to the 3rd slot. So, Apple, according to MJ, will be keeping the 5c, contrary to the WSJ... unless MJ believes that Apple will be making 3 new designs... or that the 5c will remain in 2nd and 3rd spots... or that the 5c will remain in 2nd spot and there will be a totally new 3rd spot design.

 

This is what you said, MJ. I'm not reading anything into it at all... it's just... logic.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #235 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by marubeni View Post
 

 

They changed vendors why?  I am guessing because the new vendor gave them a better price. They (Apple) presumably figured it would not make any difference. It did (I don't use the compass so much, but racing games were playing a lot worse on the new devices).  And they did not do proper testing (again, because testing, presumably, costs money).  So, worse. Otherwise, yes, iFixit is the ultimate arbiter of truth, I forgot that.

 

So the narrative you're promoting (against all evidence to the contrary) is basically this: 

 

"Apple is in the habit of cutting costs by preferring cheaper, substandard parts vendors, and foregoing QA testing in order to improve their bottom line, regardless of the impact on their product and brand quality."

 

Really?

 

As for your "guessing".... it's also possible their previous vendor stopped meeting Apple's quality standards/requirements. That simple.

 

But no, you headed straight to the most cynical view possible, and advanced a narrative that describes a company quite unlike the actual one under discussion...

 

Nobody can be perfect 100% of the time, including Apple. But again, the "issues" that surfaced regarding the initial sensor calibrations have been fixed. End of story.

 

Why are you continuing to advance this narrative that Apple behaves in a careless and greedy manner, when they clearly don't operate that way in general?


Edited by tribalogical - 1/26/14 at 12:27pm
post #236 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post
 

 

So the narrative you're promoting (against all evidence to the contrary) is basically this: 

 

"Apple is in the habit of cutting costs by preferring cheaper, substandard parts vendors, and foregoing QA testing in order to improve their bottom line, regardless of the impact on their product and brand quality."

 

Really?

 

As for your "guessing".... it's also possible their previous vendor stopped meeting Apple's quality standards/requirements. That simple.

 

But no, you headed straight to the most cynical view possible, and advanced a narrative that describes a company quite unlike the actual one under discussion...

 

Nobody can be perfect 100% of the time, including Apple. But again, the "issues" that surfaced regarding the initial sensor calibrations have been fixed. End of story.

 

Why are you continuing to advance this narrative that Apple behaves in a careless and greedy manner, when they clearly don't operate that way in general?

 

Why are you foaming at the mouth? I made absolutely no general statement, but merely a specific statement about the motion sensor, which clearly did suffer at the very least from poor quality control (I have no idea why they changed vendors, but given that the previous sensor worked fine, and this one did not, the price is the obvious conjecture). Given that the iPhone is by far the biggest Apple profit center, and Apple is by far the biggest consumer products company on Earth, the lack of quality control is not acceptable. I am sure Tim Cook will agree with me, and I am surprised you do not.

post #237 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by marubeni View Post
 

 

Why are you foaming at the mouth? I made absolutely no general statement, but merely a specific statement about the motion sensor, which clearly did suffer at the very least from poor quality control (I have no idea why they changed vendors, but given that the previous sensor worked fine, and this one did not, the price is the obvious conjecture). Given that the iPhone is by far the biggest Apple profit center, and Apple is by far the biggest consumer products company on Earth, the lack of quality control is not acceptable. I am sure Tim Cook will agree with me, and I am surprised you do not.

 

Interesting characterization there.... *foaming*? Really...

 

First, you used the motion sensor as just one example of how Apple "made things worse" with the new hardware.

 

Then you extrapolated (most probably errantly, as I pointed out) that it must have been due to them wanting to take the cheapest route possible and to cut costs (including the cost of testing). Which I pointed out would be extremely un-Apple of them to do.

 

Again you ignore the possibility that their existing vendor may not have been meeting Apple's high manufacturing standards, or may not have been able to sustain the increasing demand for production output. It's possible that particular vendor was less reliable than Apple is comfortable with. A HOST of potential reasons are possible, other than "cost cutting", which in my view is not remotely the "obvious conjecture". 

 

Again, as I pointed out, you went straight to the most cynical possible "conjecture" and basically declared Apple a "cost takes precedence over quality" sort of company. Which happens to be the exact opposite of what I've witnessed in my many years of doing business with them.

 

Finally, the new sensors "work just fine" too. Some (but not all) of them had not been calibrated correctly in the initial shipments of handsets. That has since been addressed. Again, no company is perfect. Considering how different the new hardware (and OS software) is from the previous generation, it's laudable how few problems there were.

 

Again, I'm not sure what your main point is here?

 

Wow. See? All that, and not one drop of "foam" required.

post #238 of 240

That would be amazing! 5S has too narrow screen. I am amazed they forced 4:3 on iPad and used 16:9 aspect ratio on iPhones as I would ever watch a HD movie on it (Not even cinema aspect ratio). Maybe it will finally have 4:3 aspect ratio. What do you think?

BOXX workstation with 2 XEON CPUs with total 32 vcores, 32GB RAM, Samsung 512GB SSD, 2xQuadro 4800GPUs and 2x1TB in RAID0
Reply
BOXX workstation with 2 XEON CPUs with total 32 vcores, 32GB RAM, Samsung 512GB SSD, 2xQuadro 4800GPUs and 2x1TB in RAID0
Reply
post #239 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post

The New York Times is the most respected paper in the world -- not the Wall Street Journal.

What planet do you live on? The NY Times lost its cache a while ago... They are NOT the most respected and haven't been for quite some time... ESPECIALLY When it comes to tech!
post #240 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Badagliacco View Post


What planet do you live on? The NY Times lost its cache a while ago... They are NOT the most respected and haven't been for quite some time... ESPECIALLY When it comes to tech!

 

and you signed up to an APPLE rumors & news site just to say that?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › WSJ: Apple to launch two larger iPhones this year, scrap iPhone 5c