or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nest's Tony Fadell says it's 'up to Apple' if company wants to keep ties following Google buyout

Nest's Tony Fadell says it's 'up to Apple' if company wants to keep ties following Google buyout

post #1 of 89
While Nest Labs has had a close relationship with Apple in the past, all that could change after the company was purchased by rival Google. But Nest CEO and former Apple executive Tony Fadell has said in a new interview that it's entirely "up to Apple" how things proceed from here.

Fadell

Fadell spoke with Bloomberg Television on Friday, where he discussed his company's recent acquisition by search giant Google. The Nest CEO was asked about his company's relationship with Apple, a company that he played a prominent role at in the past when he helped create the first iPod.

Nest has no plans to pull its products from Apple's retail stores or abandon iOS support for its devices, Fadell said. But as for the continued presence of Nest products at Apple stores in the future, he said that's a decision Apple has to make.

"We want to make sure that we offer those things to them (Apple customers), and it's for Apple to figure out whether or not they want to continue," Fadell said.

The Nest CEO referred to Apple as a "valued partner," and noted that he received congratulations from a number of his former colleagues at the company when the Google deal was announced earlier this month.

Google announced its purchase of Nest Labs for $3.2 billion earlier this month. In addition to the smart thermostat named Nest, the company also makes Protect, which is a connected smoke detector.

The Nest Learning Thermostat was originally an exclusive Apple Store product, reflecting the close relationship the company had with Apple. But since the Google deal was announced, Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller "unfollowed" both Fadell and the Nest company's official Twitter accounts, offering a public signal as to how Apple officials feel about the deal.

However, Apple has not yet offered any sort of public comment on the matter, and has not signaled that it will pull Nest from its store shelves. As of Friday, both the Nest thermostat and Protect are still listed for sale on the company's website.
post #2 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We want to make sure that we offer those things to them (Apple customers), and it's for Apple to figure out whether or not they want to continue," Fadell said.

Well, "duh!"

And "meh"

post #3 of 89
No shit, Tony.

And what a ridiculous statement to make. Your company was bought out by a competitor, thus doing away with any reason for them to keep any meaningful ties with your company *by default*.

Looks like the Google brain cell decimator (aka Schmidt Syndrome) is already well at work on Tony, however.
post #4 of 89
It's a thermostat. A well designed, internet-connected thermostat, but a thermostat. BFD.
post #5 of 89
I'm waiting for Tony's media tour to finally be over. Still can't believe Google paid $3B for him when Apple got Steve back for only $400M.
post #6 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

It's a thermostat. A well designed, internet-connected thermostat, but a thermostat. BFD.
Yeah, well designed by a 3rd party - Fred Bould of Bould design.
post #7 of 89

I'm betting that Google wanted Tony, not Nest or Protect.  Sure, the connected home will at some point in the future be meaningful dollars-wise for lots of businesses, but a thermometer and smoke detector (at the very high end of the market) are not likely to drive enough volume to make it worth $3B.

post #8 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No shit, Tony.

And what a ridiculous statement to make. Your company was bought out by a competitor, thus doing away with any reason for them to keep any meaningful ties with your company *by default*.

Looks like the Google brain cell decimator (aka Schmidt Syndrome) is already well at work on Tony, however.

Seems like a big overreaction to me. The 'ties' as discussed are selling Nest products in Apple Stores—not some kind of profound collaboration. They're still, for the time being, extremely well designed products which reflect Apple standards. If they're dropped from the Apple Store it wouldn't be because they don't have a place there as products which add value to iOS and reflect Apple design principles.

That could change if all of Tony's talk about their ToS, principles, and privacy are thrown out the window and the Nest becomes another fountain of data for Google to sell and advertise with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

I'm betting that Google wanted Tony, not Nest or Protect.  Sure, the connected home will at some point in the future be meaningful dollars-wise for lots of businesses, but a thermometer and smoke detector (at the very high end of the market) are not likely to drive enough volume to make it worth $3B.

I doubt they would spend $3.2B for Tony.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #9 of 89
Google wants to know what time you get up in the middle of the night to take a pee.
post #10 of 89
The godfather of the iPod or the father of the iPod?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #11 of 89
Quote:

No shit, Tony.

From what I can tell he was asked a question regarding the status of Nest's relationship with Apple and he responded.  Not like he just made the statement out of the blue.  It was an obvious response to a ridiculous question - not a ridiculous statement.

I bet if Tim Cook was asked how he felt about Samsung copying them, the response would be pretty obvious as well.  Wouldn't make Tim Cook an idiot.

post #12 of 89
"Nest has no plans to pull its products from Apple's retail stores or abandon iOS support for its devices, Fadell said."

Was this a question someone actually posed to him??

"Hey, are you going to stop selling Nest and start pulling it from store shelves?
post #13 of 89

Dump ‘em.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #14 of 89

I say break the ties.

Apple does not need anymore partnerships with Google.

They should try to remove the search dependency and use their own search ASAP.

post #15 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

You've just shown you don't know what the hell it is.

post #16 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I say break the ties.

Yes...and a good search engine for Apple to buy....Yahoo!

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #17 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Dump ‘em.

Should Apple dump the related iOS Apps as well. Wonder how all the people who bought a Nest on Apple's hype of the product would feel about that?

post #18 of 89
Apple has no choice but to pull Nest products now... they are essentially Google products now.
post #19 of 89

They sell them at Home Depot now so I'm not sure how much it matters if it disappears from the Apple Store shelves.

post #20 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Should Apple dump the related iOS Apps as well. Wonder how all the people who bought a Nest on Apple's hype of the product would feel about that?

Why would they? On what grounds? There are many googlecentric apps out there.

post #21 of 89
Quote:

This. This. And This.  The money is for the brand (and Fadell's creativity) moreso than their current stable of products.  Of course, it seems counterintuitive to buy an up-and-comer when their early adopters are by and large customers of one of your chief competitors.  Did Google really expect a less-than-toxic reaction from the general public?

As for Fadell personally?  I say great for him.  Who among us would turn down a multibillion dollar offer?  And it's not like Apple was knocking.

post #22 of 89
How he got that title of Godfather just shows how stupid the press corp continues to remain.
post #23 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

How he got that title of Godfather just shows how stupid the press corp continues to remain.

Exactly.

One f*cking guy, my ass!
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
post #24 of 89
Quote:

I say break the ties.

Is that really a good idea? I mean I understand they're competitors but nobody competes with Google on search. Bing had to resort to the most terrible tactics to try and paint them badly (Pawn Stars? Really?) and had to donate all that money to charity probably after a lawyer had a quiet word.

post #25 of 89
Quote:

Has he? He is correct. The Nest is a thermostat. It might be a very well designed thermostat. It might be a very intuitive to program thermostat. And it might be an internet connected thermostat. But it is still a thermostat. Despite all of the neat features built into it the Nest still turns on or off a temperature control system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

I thought that Yahoo used Bing for its search engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

They sell them at Home Depot now so I'm not sure how much it matters if it disappears from the Apple Store shelves.

I am not sure if it will really be a matter of Apple execs dropping the Nest and Protect because of the deal as much as it will be Apple dropping the product due to poor sales. The backlash to this deal was enlightening. People are growing more and more distrustful of Google and their push to intrude on people's lives. A higher percentage of iOS users probably have a lower tolerance for Google than the average person. Which, means that a larger percentage of people who visit an Apple store are going to be much less likely to buy a Nest product now then they were before the acquisition. If this is true then I expect that the Apple stores will see very poor sales of Nest products from now on. Which, simple business principles state will lead to the product being pulled from the shelves.

post #26 of 89
So what Tony is saying is: "it's up to Apple if they wanna be dicks about it."

Such manipulative PR is classic of Google. He will fit right in with their management culture. 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #27 of 89

Shareholders of the Big Evil should raise a ruckus that the board approved a $3B white elephant. 

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is." --DQ

post #28 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Exactly.

One f*cking guy, my ass!

The dozens to hundreds of folks who worked on the iPod at all phases of engineering should stop letting asshats like him take the credit.

post #29 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm waiting for Tony's media tour to finally be over. Still can't believe Google paid $3B for him when Apple got Steve back for only $400M.

That's an interesting point. LOL

I think Google had already invested heavily in Nest, they are probably using some accounting tricks to save money somehow...

3 Billion for Nest is ridiculous.

Time will tell.

post #30 of 89
Quote:

No shit, Tony.

I don't understand this thinking at all.  Google and Apple don't compete in thermostats and smoke detectors.  Why on earth would the Google acquisition cause Apple to throw Nest out of its stores?  Of course if future Nest offerings are made more Android-centric, that's a different story, but at this point, it would be petty and short-sighted of Apple to discontinue selling Nest products, and I doubt they have any plans to.  

post #31 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The godfather of the iPod or the father of the iPod?

I think somebody got confused...

Fadell has been called the Father of the iPod by some of the press while at the same time Rubinstein was know as the Podfather.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #32 of 89
Yep, 3 billion for a stupid thermostat maker - go **** yourself, Tony, and good riddance.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

post #33 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

A higher percentage of iOS users probably have a lower tolerance for Google than the average person. 

I doubt this is true at all.  Only a very tiny fraction of iOS users are caught up in the silly Android vs. iPhone war.  The vast majority could not care less.  iOS users are voracious consumers of the Internet, and to consume the Internet is to use Google products.  I think most iOS users have a positive view of Google and likely use its products and services more than non-iOS users.  They are also the type who are far more likely to buy an Internet connected thermostat.  I could not disagree more with your analysis and conclusion.  

post #34 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Yep, 3 billion for a stupid thermostat maker - go **** yourself, Tony, and good riddance.

Wow, why so much anger??  Seems completely irrational to me.  What has he ever done to you?

post #35 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by starxd View Post

Wow, why so much anger??  Seems completely irrational to me.  What has he ever done to you?

Nothing. It's just irrational; plus my hatred of Schmidt and his ilk, of course.

post #36 of 89
Quote:

I used a Nest for a summer. It did the job, but for supposedly being so smart, it was also pretty stupid (and annoying with its automatic, inappropriate temperature adjustments). So I returned it. I replaced it with a high-end model from a company that has been suing Nest's ass for multiple instances of patent infringement.

post #37 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Ummm... not really.  Yahoo doesn't have a search engine.  They pay to use Bing's search engine.  

post #38 of 89
Quote:

I say break the ties.

Why?  I like Google services.  If Apple attempts to block them from my phone, I would probably buy a different phone.  

And what "search dependency" are you talking about?  Apple has nothing to do with search.  That is between the user and whichever search engine they choose.  I choose Google, and I hope Apple never tries to interfere with that.  

post #39 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Apple has no choice but to pull Nest products now... they are essentially Google products now.

This is just plain silly.  Of course they have a choice.  Apple offers dozens of Google products in their app store.  Google search is a default choice in the Safari browser.  Why on earth do they "have no choice" but to pull these thermostats from their shelves?  You seem to be extending the smart phone war a bit too far.  

post #40 of 89
Quote:

As you say, it's not about a thermostat and a smoke detector, it's about the connected home.  This is Google's way into that market.  This is a long term investment, not something they expect to profit from next quarter.  

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nest's Tony Fadell says it's 'up to Apple' if company wants to keep ties following Google buyout