or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's Galaxy S5 to sport fingerprint sensor, 32-bit SoC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung's Galaxy S5 to sport fingerprint sensor, 32-bit SoC - Page 2

post #41 of 133
The only good thing that comes out of Samsung are their TVs. Their phones are garbage and their "features" are gimmicky and trivial that hold no real world benefit. Let's face it they are throwing in features and stats for the attempt to sell more devices to people that are blinded my meaningless features and stats.
post #42 of 133
My iPhone 5s fingerprint sensor works 75% of the time, reason enough for me to disable it. Reason enough for me to not get an S5 if it has one.
post #43 of 133
Just another Samsung attempt to copy Apple
565 PPI. Seems like overkill.and won't stop Samsungs screens from having that neon effect. If you've looked at a Samsung screen it's obvious the color calibration is way off
post #44 of 133
Of course Apple won't be 'copying' Samsung's idea of large screens this year will they?
post #45 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post

My iPhone 5s fingerprint sensor works 75% of the time, reason enough for me to disable it. Reason enough for me to not get an S5 if it has one.

It’s possible that your fingers are dirty begrimed and/or sweaty a lot. Also, to counter your one data point, I can honestly tell you that the fingerprint sensor works for me 100% of the time.

 

If you have actual data on what proportion of 5Ss have that problem, please share.


Edited by anantksundaram - 1/26/14 at 10:48am
post #46 of 133
Whoa, calm down. Not sure I said I had any data to share but my personal experience is that it's not great which will have a bearing when choosing my next device.
post #47 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post

Of course Apple won't be 'copying' Samsung's idea of large screens this year will they?

Um... having different screen sizes is not ‘copying.’ Apple's products (e.g., iPads, iPhones, iPods, iMacs, Macbooks) have always had multiple screen sizes.

 

There are design trade-offs to address (e.g., battery life, developer consistency, pixel size, manufacturing costs, quality, availability). If/when Apple does a larger screen size, I have little doubt that it will be substantially better thought-out than Samsung’s efforts.

post #48 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post

Whoa, calm down.

What was un-calm about my response?1confused.gif
post #49 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Um... having different screen sizes is not ‘copying.’ Apple's products (e.g., iPads, iPhones, iPods, iMacs, Macbooks) have always had multiple screen sizes.

There are design trade-offs to address (e.g., battery life, developer consistency, pixel size, manufacturing costs, quality, availability). If/when Apple does a larger screen size, I have little doubt that it will be substantially better thought-out than Samsung’s efforts.

Sigh, you noticed copying was in quotes right? My point is this crying about copying is all bullshit.

Apple fans seem to think Apple invented the concept of finger print sensors on a phone, like it matters anyway. And that anything non apple manufacturers do is copying. It's just so boring.
post #50 of 133
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
What was un-calm about my response?1confused.gif


‘Dirty’ is a dirty word. People get all uppity. :lol:

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #51 of 133

Tis site seems to have a lot more info and details about the S5. Everything is just a rumor for now but this link seems to have a better source.

 

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s5/21331/samsung-galaxy-s5-release-date-specs-leaks-and-all-rumours

 

That article claims the S5 will have an on-screen biometric scanner instead of a dedicated button. It also says it will offer multi-party video chat like we used to do on iChat. That was a nice feature and I would like to see that come to FaceTime and the iPhone. 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #52 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

‘Dirty’ is a dirty word. People get all uppity. :lol:

Ah, got it. Thanks. (English is not my first language, so sometimes screw it up.) I have changed it to ‘begrimed.’

post #53 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What was un-calm about my response?1confused.gif

Seemed like you took the fact my iPhone is a bit shit personally. Perhaps I misunderstood you similarly to how you figured I'd have done a survey on all 5s owners just in case I needed some data for a forum.
post #54 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post


Seemed like you took the fact my iPhone is a bit shit personally. Perhaps I misunderstood you similarly to how you figured I'd have done a survey on all 5s owners just in case I needed some data for a forum.

I didn't take it personally at all. I don't even know you, so why would I?

I did infer that you were perhaps making a general point there about Apple's implementation of the fingerprint sensor, but if you're telling me that was incorrect, then sure, ignore the part of my post about the data. (Btw, I was not asking you to gather the data, but rather, wondering if you knew of any surveys out there that suggested it was a larger problem, that's all.) Perhaps you need to be the one to calm down.
post #55 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I didn't take it personally at all. I don't even know you, so why would I?

I did infer that you were perhaps making a general point there about Apple's implementation of the fingerprint sensor, but if you're telling me that was incorrect, then sure, ignore the part of my post about the data. (Btw, I was not asking you to gather the data, but rather, wondering if you knew of any surveys out there that suggested it was a larger problem, that's all.)

Nope, not a general point simply that my iPhone is dodgy. Glad yours is 100% working.
post #56 of 133
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
Ah, got it. Thanks. (English is not my first language, so sometimes screw it up.) I have changed it to ‘begrimed.’

 

Not sure if you’re joking (and if you are, it’s great), but it’s not dirty insofar as it’s bad, but people just whine if you call them unhygienic.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #57 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post

Whoa, calm down. Not sure I said I had any data to share but my personal experience is that it's not great which will have a bearing when choosing my next device.

There's some suggestions in this fairly lengthy thread on how to improve recognition if it's an issue for your and/or your device. Seeing as it's a new Apple feature some growing pains are to be expected.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5400101?start=0&tstart=0
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #58 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's some suggestions in this fairly lengthy thread on how to improve recognition if it's an issue for your and/or your device.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5400101?start=0&tstart=0

Thanks, I'll check it out.
post #59 of 133

Can Samsung ever come up with something original, order than Apple adaptations? 

post #60 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Can Samsung ever come up with something original, order than Apple adaptations? 

Perhaps Samsung will 'adapt' Motorola's fingerprint scanner which was out some 2 years before Apples?
post #61 of 133
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post
Perhaps Samsung will 'adapt' Motorola's fingerprint scanner which was out some 2 years before Apples?

 

Motorola had a camera-based, glass-topped fingerprint sensor 2 years before the release of the iPhone 5S?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #62 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Motorola had a camera-based, glass-topped fingerprint sensor 2 years before the release of the iPhone 5S?

No. Not sure I said they did.
post #63 of 133
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post
No. Not sure I said they did.

 

Then don’t make facetious comparisons insinuating that Apple stole technology.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #64 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then don’t make facetious comparisons insinuating that Apple stole technology.

You're purposefully playing ignorant right? Or maybe you don't read previous posts?

A fingerprint scanner on a phone was not an original idea by Apple, even if their implementation is good. Where did I suggest any technology go was stolen?
post #65 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post


No. Not sure I said they did.


Then, what are you insinuating?

post #66 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post

A fingerprint scanner on a phone was not an original idea by Apple, even if their implementation is good.

Hmmm.... I thought you said the implementation was bad?

post #67 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmmm.... I thought you said the implementation was bad?

Didn't you tell me it was just mine?
post #68 of 133
Just curious why if seems every time one company offers a feature or device in any way similar to that offered by another the only word used by a select few to describe it is "stolen". Simply being the first to offer something doesn't mean every one that follows else is therefor a thief no matter the changes, additions or improvements. 1rolleyes.gif

Makes it nearly impossible to have a level-headed intelligent discussion when a small handful of posters try to frame topics in black and white in an attempt to stifle the conversation. I'm pretty sure all our members are intelligent enough to recognize nuances instead of seeing only the extremes. It's a very disingenuous strategy IMHO and doesn't encourage logical debate or discourse.

Just my 2 cents.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #69 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Just curious why if seems every time one company offers a feature or device in any way similar to that offered by another the only word used to describe it is "stolen". simply being the first to offer something doesn't mean every one that follows else is therefor a thief no matter the changes or improvemenmts. 1rolleyes.gif

Makes it nearly impossible to have a level-headed intelligent discussion when a small handful of posters try to frame topics in black and white in an attempt to stifle the conversation. I'm pretty sure all our members are intelligent enough to recognize nuances instead of seeing only the extremes. It's a very disingenuous strategy IMHO.

Just my 2 cents.

For the record, I am not one of the ones using the term ‘stolen’ (and you did not say so).

 

I want to address your larger point.

 

Given the context and the history of Samsung’s seemingly blatant copying of Apple, including a growing and impressive list of court cases that appear to bolster that case, and given the fact that IP is a hugely valuable asset in tech, it appears perfectly reasonable – and intelligent – in an Apple-oriented discussion forum to keep reminding people of the fact that Samsung might be prone to ‘stealing’ ideas? (I prefer the term copying or appropriating IP, myself).

 

PS: I see that t0ny (aargh... autocorrect) likes your post! Nice endorsement! :lol: 

post #70 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post

Didn't you tell me it was just mine?

Oh boy.... I will give you this: you guys are relentless, and keep coming....

post #71 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh boy.... I will give you this: you guys are relentless, and keep coming....

You post this on the wrong forum?
post #72 of 133
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post
A fingerprint scanner on a phone was not an original idea by Apple

 

No one has claimed this. Your make believe world where others have, however, makes you look foolish.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #73 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


I didn't take it personally at all. I don't even know you, so why would I?

I did infer that you were perhaps making a general point there about Apple's implementation of the fingerprint sensor, but if you're telling me that was incorrect, then sure, ignore the part of my post about the data. (Btw, I was not asking you to gather the data, but rather, wondering if you knew of any surveys out there that suggested it was a larger problem, that's all.) Perhaps you need to be the one to calm down.

 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2013/10/15/iphone-5s-touch-id-fingerprint-scanner-is-a-fail-for-20-of-users-heres-what-to-do/

post #74 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post

You post this on the wrong forum?

Why are you still posting?

Shouldn't you be either:

1. Re-setting your TouchID up and seeing if you can finally get working what everybody else already has.
2. Taking your phone back to the Apple store where they will gladly replace or refund if you can prove it isn't working.
3. Placing an order for an unproven, unreleased phone based on a single feature.

You do realise that they don't force you to buy OR keep these things, right?
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
Reply
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
Reply
post #75 of 133
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
Reply
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
Reply
post #76 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post

I see. Childish name calling now is it.

I'll leave you guys to continue
purposefully misinterpreting posts. I get it, you love Apple. You really love Apple. I'm happy you found love.

Your make-believe world appears to include imagining people are calling you names...
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
Reply
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
Reply
post #77 of 133
Once again, Samsung is the copier and follower.
post #78 of 133

LOL. (Hint: If you actually read what you cite, you can sometimes avoid embarrassing yourself.)

 

Here’s what the author of that piece in Forbes says: “So I set up a quick poll using the Polar app to see if I could get a sense of what proportion of users thought Touch ID “works great,” and what proportion was experiencing “too many fails” (see image above.) You can vote on it yourself through the app by searching #iosprints or by going to that tag page on the Polar website.”

 

If you know anything about surveys – I’ll assume you don’t – then you know that the evidence he presents amounts to a hill of beans.

post #79 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post

Perhaps Samsung will 'adapt' Motorola's fingerprint scanner which was out some 2 years before Apples?

If copying Motorola's version means not working, Samsung probably will.

What's your point?
post #80 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Also, that ppi is clearly overkill, but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually use it. The iPhone might need an increase to its ppi to reach a level close to the S4 (which IMO is the maximum ppi I care about) because I can still see some lines of pixels in some conditions.

 

Would you consider yourself an avid consumer of technology? I ask that in earnest. The reason I ask is because I don't think that at the current size display the iPhone has, most people wouldn't even notice a higher PPI. As the screen gets bigger, they might, but I've show my mom an iPad Air next to the Galaxy Nexus tablet and even at the size, she couldn't tell the difference. 

 

I'm not saying you're wrong at all and as a genuine nerd, the better the quality a display is, the happier I am, but I think that a lot of other factors define a great display beyond just PPI.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's Galaxy S5 to sport fingerprint sensor, 32-bit SoC