or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's Galaxy S5 to sport fingerprint sensor, 32-bit SoC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung's Galaxy S5 to sport fingerprint sensor, 32-bit SoC - Page 3

post #81 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post
 

 

Can't they? That's funny, because it runs pretty smoothly on my Nexus 5.

 

While I think the Nexus 5 is a solid device and stock Android isn't bad, it doesn't represent the vast majority of Android users. Is that Google's fault. Maybe not, but it is definitely Google's problem. Samsung and no-name Chinese brands represent a big chunk of installs and those don't run anywhere near as smooth and consistently as iOS. iOS 7 was buggy at launch but it's gotten better, and 7.1 is vastly improved.

post #82 of 133
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post

A fingerprint scanner on a phone was not an original idea by Apple, even if their implementation is good. 

 

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

Hmmm.... I thought you said the implementation was bad?

 

The post you replied to states neither. The statement "If A then B" does not imply A.

post #83 of 133

 

So, if we assume you think TouchID is an EPCI FAIL and this is proof, then care to explain why Samsung is copying it?

post #84 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post
 

 

Can't they? That's funny, because it runs pretty smoothly on my Nexus 5.

 

 

That's funny, I have yet come to see an Android device that can scroll the contact list or even its own settings smoothly. ;-)

post #85 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post


Sigh, you noticed copying was in quotes right? My point is this crying about copying is all bullshit.

Apple fans seem to think Apple invented the concept of finger print sensors on a phone, like it matters anyway. And that anything non apple manufacturers do is copying. It's just so boring.


Apple of course did not invent finger print sensor.  Nor is Apple the first putting it on a smart phone.  The difference is the details and this is patented by Apple.  Apple put it on the Home button.  And it is PATENDED!

 

With your copying brain any software can be copied.  Because they are lines of lines C/C++/...  codes which the programer did not invent. 

post #86 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

 

So, if we assume you think TouchID is an EPCI FAIL and this is proof, then care to explain why Samsung is copying it?

 

Your assumption is wrong.  I think TouchID is pretty nifty and wish my phone had something similar.   Anant was putting down an Apple user who was having problems with his TouchID, and telling him to prove that it wasn't 'just him'  lol   I just found that article and linked it for his benefit.

 

It doesn't line up with his views, so he relegates it to his 'invalid' bin.  I could care less :p

 

There are plenty of other invalid sources of other people having problems too:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/12/touch-id-issues-and-fixes/

http://www.macworld.com/article/2070830/troubleshoot-apples-touch-id-fingerprint-reader.html

http://www.imore.com/touch-id-not-working-well-you-heres-how-fix-it

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23609165#23609165

 

Note that the third link has a poll from over 8,000 responses....

The original poster with the problem should read because quite a few have tips to make it work better.

post #87 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-News View Post

Instead of focusing on the currently still irrelevant fact that the SoC is only 32bit, you should have noticed that the camera is a 16MP phase detection autofocus unit. Autofocus right now is arguably the weakest point of Apple's cameras. If Samsung pulls this off well, this may take them a significant step ahead.

Assuming their PDAF implementation is good. Sony (I think) had issues with theirs although nikon nailed it in their small sensor implementation. Evidently it is non-trivial even for companies with a lot of camera sensor experience to get right the first time.
post #88 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

“It’s 32-bit, but it will have eight cores, so really that’s 256-bit and Apple’s four times as slow.”

Battery life: 1 second...

post #89 of 133
Originally Posted by Hugo Wong View Post
Battery life: 1 second...

 

Well, at least it covers the average use time of a single Android device before being sold or junk drawered. They can rest easy.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #90 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Well, at least it covers the average use time of a single Android device before being sold or junk drawered. They can rest easy.

That is impossible that a smartphone can use a 256 bit processor in nowadays technology.

post #91 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post
 

 

Your assumption is wrong.  I think TouchID is pretty nifty and wish my phone had something similar.   Anant was putting down an Apple user who was having problems with his TouchID, and telling him to prove that it wasn't 'just him'  lol   I just found that article and linked it for his benefit.

 

It doesn't line up with his views, so he relegates it to his 'invalid' bin.  I could care less :p

 

There are plenty of other invalid sources of other people having problems too:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/12/touch-id-issues-and-fixes/

http://www.macworld.com/article/2070830/troubleshoot-apples-touch-id-fingerprint-reader.html

http://www.imore.com/touch-id-not-working-well-you-heres-how-fix-it

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23609165#23609165

 

Note that the third link has a poll from over 8,000 responses....

The original poster with the problem should read because quite a few have tips to make it work better.

And i say most of those 8000 never held an iPhone before.. can even afford an iPhone 4, why would someone lie about not working? i don't know go on youtube and ask samsung fans 

Best smart product for an average consumer "u must have" is....MacBook Air !
Reply
Best smart product for an average consumer "u must have" is....MacBook Air !
Reply
post #92 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Can't they? That's funny, because it runs pretty smoothly on my Nexus 5.
Well they don't run well on my Tegra Note compared to their iOS counterparts.
So maybe you should compare then to how they run on iOS too to know how smoothly they really run.
post #93 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post


Nope, not a general point simply that my iPhone is dodgy. Glad yours is 100% working.

Then take it back. I assume it is still under warranty.

post #94 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post
 

 

The post you replied to states neither. The statement "If A then B" does not imply A.

Sorry about that, i missed took you for Samsungish


Edited by iMember - 1/26/14 at 5:31pm
Best smart product for an average consumer "u must have" is....MacBook Air !
Reply
Best smart product for an average consumer "u must have" is....MacBook Air !
Reply
post #95 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by foad View Post

Would you consider yourself an avid consumer of technology? I ask that in earnest. The reason I ask is because I don't think that at the current size display the iPhone has, most people wouldn't even notice a higher PPI. As the screen gets bigger, they might, but I've show my mom an iPad Air next to the Galaxy Nexus tablet and even at the size, she couldn't tell the difference. 

I'm not saying you're wrong at all and as a genuine nerd, the better the quality a display is, the happier I am, but I think that a lot of other factors define a great display beyond just PPI.

You are probably right, but I'm not 100% sure. Seeing that I saw those tiny lines the first time I held it in my hand! I imagine that even non techies could see, even if unconsciously, that a screen with a higher PPI would look better. But yes, it would be a very marginal difference. But we all know Apple is all about detail, so I'm convinced they will increase it to around 400ppi which would be perfect.
post #96 of 133
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post
Talk for yourself.

 

‘Kay. So that’s to be understood as you disagree with me and that YOU are claiming that Apple invented fingerprint sensors on phones, correct?

 
Your words are poison.

 

Sure thing, Éowyn.

 
Yours is a personal attack.

 

Nope. It’s a statement of truth. He doesn’t get to say anything just anything he wants and get away with it.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #97 of 133

All right, that got out of hand. Seen far, far too many posts where the implication is as previously stated, so in seeing it happen again I tend to give little remorse. Works, generally; the trolls never show up again. If it not be the intent, I do apologize, but had it not, the simplest solution would have been to outright correct my misconception immediately.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #98 of 133
I have noticed that TouchID does occasionally fail; however; in every instance I have been able to determine the cause of the failure. In many instances my finger doesn't have sufficient surface area pressed flush against the surface of the sensor while occasionally my finger is wet. I have yet to discover an instance when TouchID has failed for any reason but user error albeit apparently slight user error.

Given past implementations of technology in mobile devices by Samsung I can't imagine they will have the success Apple has had with TouchID.
post #99 of 133

I've had a couple issues with Touch ID. I checked on Apple's website and they had a few suggestions. When I first got it I picked 5 fingers and learned each one (which is the limit). Apple states if you have multiple fingers learned it can slightly delay the response time.

 

What I found was I actually only ever used my thumb as I always use my phone in the same hand. So I unlearned all fingers and only used my thumb. Since then it's worked almost 100%. The odd time it doesn't is when I'm at work and have dirty fingers. I also cut my thumb and while it was healing it didn't work very well either.

 

So now I learned my thumb and one more finger as backup, and since they are completely different "types" of patterns the response time is still great. Apple also states that if you have "similar" prints it can delay response.

 

I'd have to say that Touch ID is very reliable, and if you apply a little common sense to what's actually going on (like me switching to my finger while my thumb was healing) it works great.

 

I have to wonder, how many other people learned 5 fingers "just because"?

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #100 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I've had a couple issues with Touch ID. I checked on Apple's website and they had a few suggestions. When I first got it I picked 5 fingers and learned each one (which is the limit). Apple states if you have multiple fingers learned it can slightly delay the response time.

What I found was I actually only ever used my thumb as I always use my phone in the same hand. So I unlearned all fingers and only used my thumb. Since then it's worked almost 100%. The odd time it doesn't is when I'm at work and have dirty fingers. I also cut my thumb and while it was healing it didn't work very well either.

So now I learned my thumb and one more finger as backup, and since they are completely different "types" of patterns the response time is still great. Apple also states that if you have "similar" prints it can delay response.

I'd have to say that Touch ID is very reliable, and if you apply a little common sense to what's actually going on (like me switching to my finger while my thumb was healing) it works great.

I have to wonder, how many other people learned 5 fingers "just because"?

Well, I remember virtually every website posting advise about scanning all ten fingers using only one or two of the five possible patterns. I can't imagine that improves the response of the algorithm.
post #101 of 133
Interesting ... I thought Samsung had said the S5 (which is no way sounds similar to 5S) would have a better exterior casing than it's predecessor. I would write this prediction off completely if it were not from Kuo.

He's the only analyst who has been mostly accurate as to future Apple products. It's obvious that Kuo has inside information (at least regarding Apple) while the others appear to just be guessing.

If I were Samsung, I would dismiss fingerprint authentication as unnecessary way before I would copy it with a less accurate/reliable/refined version. Here's to hoping Samsung does try it and fails spectacularly.
post #102 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post
 

8 cores? Seems like a lot for a phone.

Sigh. This is the ARM four big for little design, whose purpose is to save power.

post #103 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

Interesting ... I thought Samsung had said the S5 (which is no way sounds similar to 5S) would have a better exterior casing than it's predecessor. I would write this prediction off completely if it were not from Kuo.

He's the only analyst who has been mostly accurate as to future Apple products. It's obvious that Kuo has inside information (at least regarding Apple) while the others appear to just be guessing.

If I were Samsung, I would dismiss fingerprint authentication as unnecessary way before I would copy it with a less accurate/reliable/refined version. Here's to hoping Samsung does try it and fails spectacularly.

I seem to recall reading an interview with some Samsung guy during CES, and he was saying that the new Galaxy would have a metal case.

post #104 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Wong View Post
 

Battery life: 1 second...

No, the eight core ARM is to INCREASE battery life. Get a clue.

post #105 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Just curious why if seems every time one company offers a feature or device in any way similar to that offered by another the only word used by a select few to describe it is "stolen". Simply being the first to offer something doesn't mean every one that follows else is therefor a thief no matter the changes, additions or improvements. 1rolleyes.gif

Makes it nearly impossible to have a level-headed intelligent discussion when a small handful of posters try to frame topics in black and white in an attempt to stifle the conversation. I'm pretty sure all our members are intelligent enough to recognize nuances instead of seeing only the extremes. It's a very disingenuous strategy IMHO and doesn't encourage logical debate or discourse.

Just my 2 cents.

 

All you say is true, but given your number of posts, you presumably know better then believing that you can  convince the rabid minority (we know who they are) of the error of their ways.

post #106 of 133
Originally Posted by Nightwriter927 View Post
Do they run in packs?

 

Absolutely.

 

Originally Posted by marubeni View Post
No, the eight core ARM is to INCREASE battery life. Get a clue.

 

An Android device. Increasing battery life. :lol: 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #107 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post
 

 

I don't believe Apple has any ownership of ARM anymore despite they were one of the founders (Acorn, Apple, and VLSI). Pretty sure they divested themselves early in Jobs' return to Apple as one way to get cash back to fund Apple's "rebirth". They are now licensees like many others. Of course, they are also the first ones to bring a product to market with the 64 bit core / architecture.

 

According to the Wikipedia article on Arm Holdings, Apple's share had fallen to 14.2% by 1999.

post #108 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Absolutely.

 

 

An Android device. Increasing battery life. :lol: 

 

Actually, the top several smartphones by battery life are Android devices (Sony being the best, followed by LG, Moto, and HTC, though the top 15 lists generally contain the Galaxy Notes, not so much the Galaxy S phones), the iPhone struggles to make the top 20. In any case, if you can read (it seems you can only write, or maybe Siri does it for you), google "four big, four little". 

post #109 of 133

I find it interesting how everyone bashes the Galaxy's battery life. My S4 goes two days with moderate use. I will give it to Apple that their OS is great at power management, but I see so many ignorant comments about Samsung products from people that have never owned a Samsung phone and have their iPhone halfway up their a$s. 

post #110 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostcallmerob View Post
 

I find it interesting how everyone bashes the Galaxy's battery life. My S4 goes two days with moderate use. I will give it to Apple that their OS is great at power management, but I see so many ignorant comments about Samsung products from people that have never owned a Samsung phone and have their iPhone halfway up their a$s. 

S4 has a very big battery because the phone is oversized.  

post #111 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Just curious why if seems every time one company offers a feature or device in any way similar to that offered by another the only word used by a select few to describe it is "stolen". Simply being the first to offer something doesn't mean every one that follows else is therefor a thief no matter the changes, additions or improvements. 1rolleyes.gif

Makes it nearly impossible to have a level-headed intelligent discussion when a small handful of posters try to frame topics in black and white in an attempt to stifle the conversation. I'm pretty sure all our members are intelligent enough to recognize nuances instead of seeing only the extremes. It's a very disingenuous strategy IMHO and doesn't encourage logical debate or discourse.

Just my 2 cents.
You mean like Android users claiming the notification centre was ripped off Android or the Atrix had a fingerprint sensor first? Or Control Centre?

Android users are notorious for thinking they had everything first. I can't count the number of "iOS 7 is just a ripoff of Android........" posts I've seen since iOS 7 was first revealed.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #112 of 133

Well Apple removing certain parts supply from Samsung definitely has delayed their copying. Even their eventual copy will surely be inferior due  to their limited information.

Way to go Apple!

post #113 of 133
Here is Anandtech's evaluation of battery life. Interesting how some claim that iPhone 5S struggles to make the top 20 list but Anandtech demonstrates otherwise for Wi-Fi and 4G LTE based browsing. The iPhone 5S does have shorter talk time which is a direct result of not carrying around a car battery attached to the phone while web browsing is dependent on much more than just the radio.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/9
post #114 of 133
If it were not called "S5", it would look a bit less like a me-too product.

Makes you wonder if Samsung has now accepted their position as cheap copy cat.
post #115 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post

If it were not called "S5", it would look a bit less like a me-too product.

Makes you wonder if Samsung has now accepted their position as cheap copy cat.

Galaxy S june 2010

Galaxy S II may 2011

Galaxy S III may 2012

Galaxy S 4 apr-2013 (because most people can only count in roman numerals up to 3)

Galaxy S 5 

 

They have used the S+(iteration) name for years now, can hardly accuse them of copying 5S to S5.

post #116 of 133

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Sure thing, Éowyn.

 

Ahah, nice that you got that. It came to my mind and I just couldn't resist. Sorry :P. I love drama.

post #117 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post


You mean like Android users claiming the notification centre was ripped off Android or the Atrix had a fingerprint sensor first? Or Control Centre?

Android users are notorious for thinking they had everything first. I can't count the number of "iOS 7 is just a ripoff of Android........" posts I've seen since iOS 7 was first revealed.

So what. The pissing contest between iOS and Android users is just so jejune. Neither Apple nor Google needs us to defend them. Yet, you guys invest (read waste) time and emotions insulting each other, often arguing on the basis of misunderstood technical issues. Why point fingers at each other at all? Why does it matter if Android (or Apple) users think they are first or last? Can't everyone just enjoy their devices without engaging in a ridiculous fight in which everyone is wrong 90% of the time?

post #118 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post
 

So what. The pissing contest between iOS and Android users is just so jejune. Neither Apple nor Google needs us to defend them. Yet, you guys invest (read waste) time and emotions insulting each other, often arguing on the basis of misunderstood technical issues. Why point fingers at each other at all? Why does it matter if Android (or Apple) users think they are first or last? Can't everyone just enjoy their devices without engaging in a ridiculous fight in which everyone is wrong 90% of the time?

You continue to waste your own time and emotions. Most people here are not interested in real facts. They debate by trying to out-Google each other, as if searching for headlines is real education. They defend Apple (or Google) because taking one side gives them the right to piss on the other side. Defending Apple makes them feel better about themselves. Give up the crusade. Most here are not interested in discussing technology. They don't know it and don't care about it.

post #119 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

You mean like Android users claiming the notification centre was ripped off Android or the Atrix had a fingerprint sensor first? Or Control Centre?

Android users are notorious for thinking they had everything first. I can't count the number of "iOS 7 is just a ripoff of Android........" posts I've seen since iOS 7 was first revealed.

Yup that too, tho you've stretched your thought balloon pretty tight claiming it's common for Android users to say they had everything first. Notorious? 1rolleyes.gif Maybe someone somewhere said it once.

Anyway I mentioned specifically that yesterday.
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/161719/apples-iphone-5c-boasts-most-available-advertised-memory-samsung-galaxy-s4-declared-biggest-memory-hog/80#post_2462819
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #120 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Here is Anandtech's evaluation of battery life. Interesting how some claim that iPhone 5S struggles to make the top 20 list but Anandtech demonstrates otherwise for Wi-Fi and 4G LTE based browsing. The iPhone 5S does have shorter talk time which is a direct result of not carrying around a car battery attached to the phone while web browsing is dependent on much more than just the radio.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/9

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Mobile-Olympics-phones-with-the-best-battery-life_id50426#16-Sony-Xperia-L

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's Galaxy S5 to sport fingerprint sensor, 32-bit SoC