or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple lining up suppliers for next-gen 'A8' processor

Rumor: Apple lining up suppliers for next-gen 'A8' processor - Page 2

post #41 of 47
I'm hoping this equates to some truly innovate features. I've been a Iphone user since the 3GS and upgraded to the 4S because at the time Siri was innovate and exciting. After years of marginal upgrades such as a longer screen and fingerprint id that I cared very little about, I grew weary of waiting for something new. After two months of visiting the Note 3 in a local Best Buy and being apprehensive about the transfer process of my data and the general usability I had grown accustomed to with Apple and Itunes, I traded my 4S in. I was using my phone as a universal remote with a free app and the built in IR receiver because my DirectV remote went missing. I have 96 gigs of space, which is great because my 64 gig Iphone was always full and apple hasn't committed to making a higher capacity phone yet. I'm able to drag and drop and file onto my phone without messing with the cumbersome Itunes or any other software, or having to sync for 10-20 minutes. All my computer's video files just play through the Note 3 without me having to convert anything.

I feel about the Note 3 the same way I felt when I turned on my first Iphone. I truly do hope that Apple does use all this new speed to innovate and make the apps and ios truly something special again. Heres to hoping apple gives us more that a os facelift to have us fall in love with Iphones all over again.
post #42 of 47
Originally Posted by Dwight Beasley View Post
I'm hoping this equates to some truly innovate features. After years of marginal upgrades… Here's to hoping apple gives us more that a os facelift to have us fall in love with iPhones all over again.

Yeah, yeah, false concern, whatever. Just stop.

post #43 of 47
Quote:
 Heres to hoping apple gives us more that a os facelift to have us fall in love with Iphones all over again.

It's probably more sanitary this way. I guess I find it somewhat amusing when anyone refers to "falling in love" with an electronic device.

post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What about this?

http://www.mosys.com/m/high-density-memory.php

Edit:

Check out the backgrounds of MoSys top mgmt:

http://www.mosys.com/m/company-management.php

interesting but to me this just looks like another way to make DRAMs. Also they compare performance to six transistor static memory which makes the device look good. The technology really needs to be compared to DRAM and more importantly the coming DRAM technology.

In any event there is lots of new tech on the way when it comes to main memory. For the near future I simply expect Apple to go with higher capacity, faster and wider implementations of the current arrangements. They should be able to do this for 2014 and maybe even 2015 before switching to an alternative tot he current DRAM tech.
post #45 of 47
Quote:

I'm hoping this equates to some truly innovate features. I've been a Iphone user since the 3GS and upgraded to the 4S because at the time Siri was innovate and exciting. After years of marginal upgrades such as a longer screen and fingerprint id that I cared very little about, I grew weary of waiting for something new.
To me this is garbage. What did you expect that something new to be?
Quote:
After two months of visiting the Note 3 in a local Best Buy and being apprehensive about the transfer process of my data and the general usability I had grown accustomed to with Apple and Itunes, I traded my 4S in. I was using my phone as a universal remote with a free app and the built in IR receiver because my DirectV remote went missing. I have 96 gigs of space, which is great because my 64 gig Iphone was always full and apple hasn't committed to making a higher capacity phone yet.
It is interesting that you mention storage here as I'm getting very reluctant with respect to new iOS hardware purchases myself. The primary reason being the lack of decent storage, especially on an iPad. I'm worried that Apple has fallen into a trap of expecting people to use iCould for all their storage needs.
Quote:
I'm able to drag and drop and file onto my phone without messing with the cumbersome Itunes or any other software, or having to sync for 10-20 minutes. All my computer's video files just play through the Note 3 without me having to convert anything.
I'm not sure what Apples long term solution is for the files problem. One thing is for certain, the app is no place to manage files.

There are certainly features about Apples products that are ancient in software years but Apple has slowly migrated to more rational solutions. Ibooks is perfect example here. All the iBooks functionality was removed from iTunes where it really didn't fit well. This slow methodical approach is a good thing as we have seen how customers react to something like an iWork rewrite.
Quote:
I feel about the Note 3 the same way I felt when I turned on my first Iphone. I truly do hope that Apple does use all this new speed to innovate and make the apps and ios truly something special again. Heres to hoping apple gives us more that a os facelift to have us fall in love with Iphones all over again.

Here is where we differ, I can't see giving up my iOS devices for anything else. They are literally just the nuts.
post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

interesting but to me this just looks like another way to make DRAMs. Also they compare performance to six transistor static memory which makes the device look good. The technology really needs to be compared to DRAM and more importantly the coming DRAM technology.

In any event there is lots of new tech on the way when it comes to main memory. For the near future I simply expect Apple to go with higher capacity, faster and wider implementations of the current arrangements. They should be able to do this for 2014 and maybe even 2015 before switching to an alternative tot he current DRAM tech.

It really depends on what they want to show with those comparisons. The six-transistor static memory is what L1 caches are made of, those ultra-fast but very small memory blocks (32KB - 64KB) that are built into CPUs to compensate for the slowness of the DRAM modules.

post #47 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by capasicum View Post

It really depends on what they want to show with those comparisons. The six-transistor static memory is what L1 caches are made of, those ultra-fast but very small memory blocks (32KB - 64KB) that are built into CPUs to compensate for the slowness of the DRAM modules.

I was thinking more about the power and size comparisons. SRAM is indeed very fast but it also is demanding when it comes to die space and heat. A cache in a modern processor can be a hot place.

In any event I could see the Mac Pro getting the first crack at the new memory technologies. Or maybe iPad. The interesting thing with iPad is that it is the ideal place for 3D technology as it save space.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple lining up suppliers for next-gen 'A8' processor