or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone marketshare dips in Q4, Samsung falters under pressure from low-cost OEMs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone marketshare dips in Q4, Samsung falters under pressure from low-cost OEMs - Page 3

post #81 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post
 

 

Right but as you pointed out you have thousands of dollars invested in the platform and you are intimately familiar with its use. That is being tied down whether or not you consider that a negative thing.

 

 

I do not distrust Android or iOS. I also don't have much in the way of purchases that can only work with iTunes or lightning etc. Everything is mp3 and usb so I don't have the same restrictions. I'm not criticising, just commenting.

 

Preferring something is not being tied down.

 

I prefer DC Comics to Marvel.  I have way more DC comics and trades and Absolute Editions and what have you than I do Marvel.  If I chose to switch to Marvel, I would.  It would take me a while to learn the histories and whatnot.  But I don't switch because I prefer Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, etc. to the characters that Marvel offers (for the most part).

 

Like I said, if saw a reason to switch to Android, I would.  I don't.  In fact, I see a LOT of reasons to stay with iOS.  From what I can tell, the hardware, software, app store, and future potential are all better on the iOS side.

post #82 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
 

 

Preferring something is not being tied down.

...

Like I said, if saw a reason to switch to Android, I would.  I don't.  In fact, I see a LOT of reasons to stay with iOS.  From what I can tell, the hardware, software, app store, and future potential are all better on the iOS side.

I agree, I'm not sure why you think I disagree. If you wanted to move to Android however you would have thousands of dollars of investment you would have to walk away from to some extent. I consider that being tied down. Preference isn't really the concern here because obviously you prefer iOS. I'm happy with Android but wouldn't be happy if I had to leave behind thousands of dollars in purchases. I've already spent probably more than I should have on stupid games that don't last very long.

post #83 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post
 

I agree, I'm not sure why you think I disagree. If you wanted to move to Android however you would have thousands of dollars of investment you would have to walk away from to some extent. I consider that being tied down. Preference isn't really the concern here because obviously you prefer iOS. I'm happy with Android but wouldn't be happy if I had to leave behind thousands of dollars in purchases. I've already spent probably more than I should have on stupid games that don't last very long.

 

A reason I might want to stick with iOS is investment.  But if, at ANY time, I felt that Android was -- for whatever reason -- far superior to iOS, I would switch in a second and never look back.

 

I mean, this iMac I'm typing this message on cost me, what?  About $2,500?  Some movies and books and whatnot are not going to stop me from changing platforms.  What keeps me from changing platforms is the fact that I prefer iOS.

 

I used Linux for years and years, and am actually running it in a VM right now (though I haven't quite figured out what to do with it).  But even given that, I think Android is crap.  Is Debian crap?  No.  But Android?  Come on.  It's an effin' mess.  I don't trust Google any farther than I can throw them.  The single example of a quality, non-plastic Android phone that I can seem to find is the HTC One, and that's from a company that will soon be out of business.  People buy Android phones and don't get updates.  You have to root your phone just to get rid of Touchwiz or whatever other bloatware and skins have been tossed on it.  The Google Play store might as well be the wild wild west.

 

No thank you.

 

Is iOS perfect?  Nope.  But neither is Kate Beckinsale (though, she is nearly).  But it's as damned near perfect as any mobile OS out there right now.  By far.  And don't even get me started on the hardware.  I'll take my iPhone 5S over some plastic "phablet" POS any day.  

post #84 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
 

 

A reason I might want to stick with iOS is investment.  But if, at ANY time, I felt that Android was -- for whatever reason -- far superior to iOS, I would switch in a second and never look back.

 

I mean, this iMac I'm typing this message on cost me, what?  About $2,500?  Some movies and books and whatnot are not going to stop me from changing platforms.  What keeps me from changing platforms is the fact that I prefer iOS.

 

You keep replying as if I doubt you. I don't! All I was saying is that having to replace thousands of dollars of investment is a significant tie-in. If for example I had to replace my TV player because I couldn't stream to it, my network backup hub, somehow sync up my music collection etc it would present a much bigger challenge.

 

Quote:
I used Linux for years and years, and am actually running it in a VM right now (though I haven't quite figured out what to do with it).  But even given that, I think Android is crap.  Is Debian crap?  No.  But Android?  Come on.  It's an effin' mess.

Android is still pretty much just Linux, it also has the added bonus of a manifest based permissions sandbox. It's really not that far removed. Hell if you root it it looks like you can just install debian directly on to your Android.

 

Quote:
I don't trust Google any farther than I can throw them.  The single example of a quality, non-plastic Android phone that I can seem to find is the HTC One, and that's from a company that will soon be out of business.

The HTC one is a nice phone, but very few companies do metal exteriors for phones. I quite like my Nexus 5, and I have the added bonus that its back is soft and doesn't seem to get scratched easily. It still has a metal plate inside for the actual structural rigidity, but it's a quality phone and I absolutely don't regret purchasing it.

 

Quote:

People buy Android phones and don't get updates.  You have to root your phone just to get rid of Touchwiz or whatever other bloatware and skins have been tossed on it.  The Google Play store might as well be the wild wild west.

 

No thank you.

 

You're wrong about the Play store. Most malware and crap like that seems to come from pirated apps or dodgy marketplaces. Otherwise yeah those things happen, but that's why I bought a Nexus phone. I do get updates, I don't have bloatware or skins. Job done. It also cost me a little over half an iPhone 5S which is pretty good in my book.

 

Quote:
Is iOS perfect?  Nope.  But neither is Kate Beckinsale (though, she is nearly).  But it's as damned near perfect as any mobile OS out there right now.  By far.  And don't even get me started on the hardware.  I'll take my iPhone 5S over some plastic "phablet" POS any day.  

The only features I really lost were Touch ID (not so useful in gloves unfortunately) and the 120fps camera which is pretty cool but kinda in the middle of utility for me. Wireless charging, NFC, MHL etc are all nice bonuses. I'm a big fan of interoperability so I try not to buy anything where it won't work with other 'open' products. Just because it's got a plastic exterior is no massive downside, and having a big 1080p screen is very lovely.

 

I seriously don't understand why you think I'm doubting you though. I absolutely believe you prefer iOS. I'm sure that if I'd bought an iPhone I'd have no major problem with it either. I think the looks are pretty shoddy and they should import one or two Android features, but they're still evolving the design and I'm sure we'll see iOS8 soon enough.

post #85 of 86
 
 

 

Quote:
You keep replying as if I doubt you. I don't! All I was saying is that having to replace thousands of dollars of investment is a significant tie-in. If for example I had to replace my TV player because I couldn't stream to it, my network backup hub, somehow sync up my music collection etc it would present a much bigger challenge.

 

Well, I think it's a consideration, but not a major one.

 

Quote:
Android is still pretty much just Linux, it also has the added bonus of a manifest based permissions sandbox. It's really not that far removed. Hell if you root it it looks like you can just install debian directly on to your Android.

 

Yeah, but there's a big difference between a desktop OS and a mobile OS.  It's something that Apple seems to grasp quite nicely.  And honestly, how many "regular" people at the coffee shop even know what it means to "root" a phone, let alone how to do it?  You shouldn't HAVE TO do that in the first place.

 

Quote:
The HTC one is a nice phone, but very few companies do metal exteriors for phones. I quite like my Nexus 5, and I have the added bonus that its back is soft and doesn't seem to get scratched easily. It still has a metal plate inside for the actual structural rigidity, but it's a quality phone and I absolutely don't regret purchasing it.

 

Well, as to scratching, all I can say is that every time I've sent my iPhone into Gazelle, claiming "perfect, like new" condition, they have agreed.  Maybe I just take better care of my devices, I don't know.  But I'd sure as heck like metal as opposed to plastic.  

 

Quote:
You're wrong about the Play store. Most malware and crap like that seems to come from pirated apps or dodgy marketplaces. Otherwise yeah those things happen, but that's why I bought a Nexus phone. I do get updates, I don't have bloatware or skins. Job done. It also cost me a little over half an iPhone 5S which is pretty good in my book.

 

OK, fair enough concerning the Play Store.  

 

Quote:
The only features I really lost were Touch ID (not so useful in gloves unfortunately) and the 120fps camera which is pretty cool but kinda in the middle of utility for me. Wireless charging, NFC, MHL etc are all nice bonuses. I'm a big fan of interoperability so I try not to buy anything where it won't work with other 'open' products. Just because it's got a plastic exterior is no massive downside, and having a big 1080p screen is very lovely.

 

See, stuff like NFC, for example, is useless to me because I don't go anywhere that actually uses it.  Or, at least, I haven't noticed it.  And handing over a $5 bill or my Visa for a latte doesn't seem that difficult to me.  Wireless charging has never made sense to me.

 

Quote:
I seriously don't understand why you think I'm doubting you though. I absolutely believe you prefer iOS. I'm sure that if I'd bought an iPhone I'd have no major problem with it either. I think the looks are pretty shoddy and they should import one or two Android features, but they're still evolving the design and I'm sure we'll see iOS8 soon enough.

 

I don't think you're doubting me.  I just think we got off on the wrong foot, is all.

 

 

EDIT: Ugh.  The Quote thing got all messed up there.  But I think you can follow, hopefully. :)

post #86 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
 

 

EDIT: Ugh.  The Quote thing got all messed up there.  But I think you can follow, hopefully. :)

Yeah the editor on this site is buggy as hell. It looks like it's a redesigned WYSIWYG HTML editor. What a mess.

 

I'll just quote each individual reply bit.

 

Quote:
Well, I think it's a consideration, but not a major one.

You're lucky to be so affluent that it is not a major one for you. For family members of mine they would not be as happy about it.

 

Quote:
Yeah, but there's a big difference between a desktop OS and a mobile OS.  It's something that Apple seems to grasp quite nicely.  And honestly, how many "regular" people at the coffee shop even know what it means to "root" a phone, let alone how to do it?  You shouldn't HAVE TO do that in the first place.

I definitely wasn't arguing you have to. I'm saying that the difference between Debian/Android isn't as wide as you think. It's missing an X server but it has SurfaceFlinger, and modern Linux desktops should be able to render just fine to this. You'll likely be able to run entire Linux WMs on Android in the next year or two.

 

Quote:
Well, as to scratching, all I can say is that every time I've sent my iPhone into Gazelle, claiming "perfect, like new" condition, they have agreed.  Maybe I just take better care of my devices, I don't know.  But I'd sure as heck like metal as opposed to plastic.  

Here's how I see it. I have an old iPod touch here and its back is a complete mess of scratches across chrome. I also have an old Desire. It has about the same number of scratches but looks better, and for about £10 I can buy an entire replacement outer chassis and make it appear brand new. I'm totally fine with plastic as long as the phone is solid.

 

Quote:
See, stuff like NFC, for example, is useless to me because I don't go anywhere that actually uses it.  Or, at least, I haven't noticed it.  And handing over a $5 bill or my Visa for a latte doesn't seem that difficult to me.  Wireless charging has never made sense to me.

I actually don't use NFC for wireless payments, but it functions as a second authentication factor, allows me to trivially share with friends etc. It's just a nice feature, like AirDrop but without having to have Apple sat in the middle of our interactions. Wireless charging is just a nice feature in general, put my phone down on a dock, magnets stick it to it, pull it out when done. Same for use in the car. In fact because the dock has an NFC chip built in, my phone can auto sense when it is in the dock and switch to the appropriate settings (read SMSs out loud etc)

 

You'd be surprised how cool some of this stuff is. Not having to reconfigure my phone and mess about with cables every time I move between places is quite pleasant.

 

I look forward to the future of iPhones, but god I wish Apple would move back towards interoperability to some extent. Facetime was supposed to be a standard, all EU phones are supposed to be micro usb etc. It's just frustrating having Apple sit on the sidelines trying to stop their users from being part of the same economy as the rest of the smartphone world.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iPhone marketshare dips in Q4, Samsung falters under pressure from low-cost OEMs
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone marketshare dips in Q4, Samsung falters under pressure from low-cost OEMs