or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple reports $13.1B in Q1 2014 profit on record sales of 51M iPhones, 26M iPads

Apple reports $13.1B in Q1 2014 profit on record sales of 51M iPhones, 26M iPads - Page 2

post #41 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Stock prices is all about growth potential, and Apple is not delivering it.  Guidance for next quarter is bad, iPhone number is bad, stock goes down, there is no mystery here and it doesn't mean Apple is doom or that analyst expectations were too high....
How do you define bad? 51 million iPhones is second only Samsung as the most phones sold in a quarter. And Samsung sells a lot more phone models than Apple does.
post #42 of 180

Apple remains a money making machine, but like everyone else, faces slowing growth. No one apparently can escape the growing market saturation.  

The market is probably over-reacting to Apple's Q2 guidance of basically flat revenue y/o/y.

post #43 of 180
WSJ : Apple is flat - yawn
Forbes : Apple sleeps - funny guys

At least
NYT :
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/28/technology/apple-reports-record-iphone-sales.html?partner=yahoofinance&_r=0
post #44 of 180
I seriously do NOT understand the stock market. How can stocks dip after this achievement? Whatever...
Great stuff, Apple. Very reaffirming.
post #45 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well, Tim, it looks like Wall Street is looking for your answer. This was definitely not it.

It looks like your margin of error is getting slimmer.
Apple met or exceeded their guidance. it's not Apple's fault if Wall Street decides to get overly aggressive with their estimates.
post #46 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Did Apple miss its expectations? Nope. Did it "miss" analysts wild guesses? I guess. So let me get this straight, stock holders would rather listen to outsiders than insiders. Ok.

Buying opportunities like this should be taken advantage of... When a drop is irrational, buy on the irrationality.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #47 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How do you define bad? 51 million iPhones is second only Samsung as the most phones sold in a quarter. And Samsung sells a lot more phone models than Apple does.

In addition, there is no way to independently confirm Samsung's sales figures.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #48 of 180

51m iPhones hmm stupid 5c, well atleast better revenue

post #49 of 180
Originally Posted by iMember View Post
51m iPhones hmm stupid 5c

Look at all that proof of anything. :no:

post #50 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple provides a range for earnings and they beat the middle of that range. The analysts are jackasses. If you could pick up an undervalued stock at a bargain basement price by badmouthing and floating bad data, would you do the same? That's a very large incentive to poison the well and pick up AAPL at a discount.

Hmmmm... I've been hearing that refrain for a while now on Apple Insider.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #51 of 180
Quote:

Stock prices is all about growth potential, and Apple is not delivering it.  Guidance for next quarter is bad, iPhone number is bad, stock goes down, there is no mystery here and it doesn't mean Apple is doom or that analyst expectations were too high....

Stock price is NOT "all about growth potential". That's a myth these manipulators would love you to perpetuate.

Guidance for next quarter is NOT "bad". Certainly it's less than the 'boom time' that is Q1. As is NORMAL for this industry. But compare it to the same time last year. NOT "bad". See?

And as for not delivering growth. 10% year on year growth in sales volume for iOS devices? How is that not delivering growth? Growth in net profits, growth in sales volumes, sustaining margins. And if they did grow it any faster, these people would call it "overheated growth" and tank the stock...

When, how and where can Apple do "right" in the eyes and minds of these people? They can't. Ever.

Because it's a heavily manipulated stock, and is being tanked due to greed. Icahn (who undoubtedly sold a huge chunk just before the close) and others are snapping it up all the way down too. Because tomorrow (or within a few days) it'll be above where it closed today, and they'll all have made out like the bandits they are..........

post #52 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Amazing quarter, but not for the iPhone. Almost 0 growth.

Apple has all the signs they need: If they want growth (Only someone out of touch with the reality would say that they “need” it to survive, as ....

51 million phones versus 47.8 isn't remotely "close to 0 growth".

That's just under 10% increase YoY.

post #53 of 180
Quote:

its bad it terms of growth. The numbers of unit sales and cash generations beats any other company, but that is all price in going into this.  

The major problem is guidance, again no growth. The guys here pound the table to consider Apple guidance instead of analyst expectations, well the stock is doing just that.

post #54 of 180
Quote:

Apple met or exceeded their guidance. it's not Apple's fault if Wall Street decides to get overly aggressive with their estimates.

Which is exactly what I said. 

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #55 of 180
Quote:

Hmmmm... I've been hearing that refrain for a while now on Apple Insider.

So, what about it? These analysts cannot be prosecuted for voicing their "opinion", so it's not really stock manipulation...right? Without the possibility of prosecution, these people are out to protect their client's interests, which means buying and selling to generate a profit. If you fail to connect the dots, I don't know what to tell you.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #56 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

If they want growth........a bigger screen is required.

Edited by dasanman69 - 1/27/14 at 2:26pm
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #57 of 180
Quote:

The Rainbow of Doom.

iDoomed?

post #58 of 180
Quote:

its bad it terms of growth. The numbers of unit sales and cash generations beats any other company, but that is all price in going into this.  

The major problem is guidance, again no growth. 
Both iPhone and iPad grew YOY. Apple met or exceeded all their guidance. OK maybe the stock didn't deserve to jump after hours but it certainly didn't deserve to drop 8%.
post #59 of 180

The BIG silver lining in this is the hope that Carl Icahn will sell his stake in Apple and go away now. Get down on your knees and pray this happens.

post #60 of 180
Quote:

Both iPhone and iPad grew YOY. Apple met or exceeded all their guidance. OK maybe the stock didn't deserve to jump after hours but it certainly didn't deserve to drop 8%.

After years of owning AAPL stock (pre- and post-2008 crash) I was used to a pattern of "buy on the rumor, sell on the news" before the recession/depression hit, but this is an extreme drop after hours.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #61 of 180
Quote:

Lets see Samsung profit 1b compare to Apple $13.1B profit wow you are right Apple is doom

post #62 of 180
Quote:

You must be smoking crack, because you're really fixated on "bad" numbers that don't exist...

Gotta love crap like this, it brings the trolls and Wall Scumbags out of their caves in a heartbeat.

post #63 of 180
Quote:

So, what about it? These analysts cannot be prosecuted for voicing their "opinion", so it's not really stock manipulation...right? Without the possibility of prosecution, these people are out to protect their client's interests, which means buying and selling to generate a profit. If you fail to connect the dots, I don't know what to tell you.

So here you are telling me how it is on Wall Street... but, somehow or other, you want things to magically change so that it's fair for Apple.

... but that's the game and even though you say it yourself, you still want it to be something else.

I don't know what to tell you.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #64 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The BIG silver lining in this is the hope that Carl Icahn will sell his stake in Apple and go away now. Get down on your knees and pray this happens.

Carl holds a sizable chunk, but he's small fry compared to most institutional investors:  http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=AAPL+Major+Holders

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #65 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Stock price is NOT "all about growth potential". That's a myth these manipulators would love you to perpetuate.

And as for not delivering growth. 10% year on year growth in sales volume for iOS devices? How is that not delivering growth? Growth in net profits, growth in sales volumes, sustaining margins. And if they did grow it any faster, these people would call it "overheated growth" and tank the stock...

You can believe what you want but P/E multiple are growth base, the more the expectations, they higher they get.

10% would be a nice growth number for Coka cola or McDonalds, but in tech its not so good. A P/E between 10 to 15 is fair for a company like Apple at this point. Until Apple can prove it can do significant growth again, its will stalled.

The smartphone and tablet high end market is saturated, Apple doesn't want to enter middle range or low end, so the only thing left for growth is new products. 

Edited by herbapou - 1/27/14 at 2:31pm
post #66 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

You must be smoking crack, because you're really fixated on "bad" numbers that don't exist...

Gotta love crap like this, it brings the trolls and Wall Scumbags out of their caves in a heartbeat.

Sure they exist... in relation to Apple's s/p. Zero or slow growth is poison to the s/p.

For the health of the company... of course not. Apple has cash to burn.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #67 of 180

'Dip' must be the new pc term for a frackin' massacre.

post #68 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Guidance for next quarter is NOT "bad". Certainly it's less than the 'boom time' that is Q1. As is NORMAL for this industry. But compare it to the same time last year. NOT "bad". See?

When, how and where can Apple do "right" in the eyes and minds of these people? They can't. Ever.

Because it's a heavily manipulated stock, and is being tanked due to greed. Icahn (who undoubtedly sold a huge chunk just before the close) and others are snapping it up all the way down too. Because tomorrow (or within a few days) it'll be above where it closed today, and they'll all have made out like the bandits they are..........

Margins is what Apple is all about.

Sustaining margins?

You need glasses.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #69 of 180
Quote:

Margins is what Apple is all about.

Sustaining margins?

You need glasses.

I already wear glasses.

So, tell me. How far did Apple's margins drop QoQ and YoY?

post #70 of 180
The guidance is the problem. And the iPhones. The other two big categories were good actually ( Go! Mac!). Although nobody wants to hear any criticism here there was clearly a feck up with the iPhone 5c. Too expensive for the Chinese market, too plastic for the US and Japan. It's been a bad call.

The market are obviously going to be disappointed with a Q2 which is flat y-o-y given its Chinese New Year. And with China Mobile. Plus we can take Apples guidance seriously - they are expecting fewer sales in other markets.

Good news later this year will probably involve another iOS type of device, possibly two.

Personally I don't care a fig for wearables. I bet Cook likes that stuff because of his clear obsession with health and fitness. That's a market which won't be huge. They could own the console market though.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #71 of 180
Delete
post #72 of 180
Quote:

Your lame attempt at justifying a share price drop reflects very badly on yourself.

"that is all priced in..."?  As in priced into the 13 P/E?  Of course not!!  Stupid.

I'm utterly stumped as to why anyone would listen to the likes of herbapou mouthing off about Apple being "bad in terms of growth".

The after-hours price drop is not sane.  Just admit that you have no idea.  Go ahead and lambast Apple fans and long shareholders all you want...but don't make up stupid reasons as to why share price dropped.

Case in point...name me one, JUST ONE company that has similar balance sheet, dividends & EPS (both current and forward) and is at the P/E that Apple is.  Go ahead, give it a shot.  I kept it nice and simple for ya.

post #73 of 180

I just bought 10 more shares at 506.  Wow. 

post #74 of 180

Buying opportunity 

post #75 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

You just lost $20+ plus fees

post #76 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

You just lost $40+ plus fees

post #77 of 180
Quote:

Strange some idiots said the same thing last year this time but yet Apple grew its iOS business by ten percent and it's Mac business as well. Moreover, analysts who provide poor guesses should be fired.
post #78 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The guidance is the problem. And the iPhones. The other two big categories were good actually ( Go! Mac!). Although nobody wants to hear any criticism here there was clearly a feck up with the iPhone 5c. Too expensive for the Chinese market, too plastic for the US and Japan. It's been a bad call.

The market are obviously going to be disappointed with a Q2 which is flat y-o-y given its Chinese New Year. And with China Mobile. Plus we can take Apples guidance seriously - they are expecting fewer sales in other markets.

Good news later this year will probably involve another iOS type of device, possibly two.

Personally I don't care a fig for wearables. I bet Cook likes that stuff because of his clear obsession with health and fitness. That's a market which won't be huge. They could own the console market though.

So the proof is....

29% growth in China.
post #79 of 180
This is classic market manipulation. They took the tentative figures projected with the China Mobile deal and back-filled for this quarter, raise the requirements, while shorting the hell out of the stock, so when it falls they actually make money on the amount of it dropping.
post #80 of 180
Quote:

iPhone numbers is well below expectations. EPS and margins are not a blowout but are good.
The stock could still rebound depending of what is said on the call.

Apple the only company that would lose 100 billion in market cap on a 10% earnings beat.  The funny think is, it was only down 5% until Cook and Oppenheimer opened their financially obtuse mouths -- that added another 5%.  I thought Cook was supposed to be a supply chain genius?  He still can't anticipate demand for iPhones this late in the product cycle?  Complete incompetence at the one thing that was supposed to be his forte.  

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple reports $13.1B in Q1 2014 profit on record sales of 51M iPhones, 26M iPads