or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Tim Cook admits iPhone 5c share lower than expected, says demand was 'different than we thought'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tim Cook admits iPhone 5c share lower than expected, says demand was 'different than we thought' - Page 5

post #161 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post
 

 

You mean like the $49 my son paid and got a $75 Walmart card on Black Friday??  Or the $49 I paid for my mothers and got a $49 Target card just before Christmas??

Not sure what to take away from your comment...not enough info.

I'm NOT saying Apple should enter the cheap POS category.

I mentioned Apple should drop 5c price BY $50 (not to $50). 

post #162 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post
 

Not sure what to take away from your comment...not enough info.

I'm NOT saying Apple should enter the cheap POS category.

I mentioned Apple should drop 5c price BY $50 (not to $50). 

 

the "discount" you suggested is contained in those gift cards he's talking about.

 

because of the gift cards, he essentially "saved" $50.... see how that works? Effectively the same as a $50 price drop.

 

The end result in some cases was that you paid $50 for a phone on contract (e.g. a 16GB iPhone 5c), and then got a $50 gift card, essentially reducing the out of pocket cost to zero.

post #163 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Of course you can set the time interval.
If you can, then it was added in a software update that I did not have while using it.
post #164 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post


If you can, then it was added in a software update that I did not have while using it.

 

So you're saying you bailed on iOS 7.0? The first release version?

 

Yes, there were some early issues, but they made four rapid point updates soon after release that addressed pretty much all the issues, and some additional feature adjustment/additions.

 

I'm not sure if that feature was missing from the original release though. I recall setting mine to require Touch ID (I think it defaulted to 2 minutes) from the first time I set it up, but I was using 7.0.3 at the time.

 

Sounds like you were a little too impatient...  oh well, your loss! I'm loving mine... ;)

post #165 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Apple should hire me as a consultant or at least for a focus group. I warned from the start that the 5c would bomb with everyone except perhaps young teen girls of the Hello Kitty sort. It simply wasn't that appealing.

I doubt its failure had much to do with TouchID. Most people I know leave their phone unlocked. For those for whom appearance matters, the 5c was ho-hum, no different from dozens of other smartphones. For those who want power and features, the 5s was twice the phone for only about $100 more. Over a two-year lifespan, the difference in cost was mere pennies a day.

If Tim Cook had asked me, I'd have suggesting keeping the iPhone 5's marvelous appearance, but tweaking the inside so it could be made and sell for significantly less than a 5s. But even that is a poor move. Remember, the real cost of any iPhone is that cellular contract. With cellular subsidies, there's simply not enough price cutting in the price available to matter.


Apple has missed the boat on diversifying its product line. It should look more closely at what its customers do and match their needs.

1. Buying battery extenders. Make a EL (for Extended Live) version of the iPhone (and MBA) that trades being a bit thicker for twice the battery life. Make that battery easily to replace when it begins to fade too.

2. Buying protector cases. Make a Sport model that's drop-proof to about 12 feet and waterproof to say 30 feet. You might even design it to meet military specs like amateur radio, marine, and commercial handheld radios are now made. There are a lot of outdoor-active people who'd love such a phone and pay extra for it.

Note that both those suggestions are for iPhones that Apple could sell for more money. Apple can diversify without joining a race to the bottom.

--Michael W. Perry, Inkling Books, Auburn, AL

I'm glad Tim Cook didn't ask you.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #166 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

According to many here that ridiculed the other manufacturers for still using 'cheap' plastic. Personally I don't have a problem with it and I much prefer the feel of plastic in my hand than hard metal edges.

Yeah, I prefer the rounded plastic to the metal edges too; it's much more comfortable in the hand.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #167 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

Tim Cook was correct in his assessment that the iPhone 5S was the iPhone 5C's main competitor.

The $100 price difference between the 5S and the 5C was insufficient to drive sales of the 5C; and Tim Cook also made the mistake of going against Apple's formula, by offering two iPhone models instead of 1.

The iPhone 5S should have been the only iPhone offered.

The iPhone 5C should have been introduced when the iPhone 5 became the 3rd tier phone (if and when a larger screened iPhone 6 came out) - when the iPhone 5 would have taken the place of the iPhone 4S and dropped in price as its costs would have dropped.

In regards to the iPhone 5C, it should have been offered with a white front face instead of black. It would have sold more.

EDIT:

As some have also mentioned about the colors, the iPhone 5C should have been offered in strong primary colors instead of pastels; because primary colors would appeal to both male and female.

We'll probably never know, but I think that Apple chose the pastel colours specifically to appeal to female customers, as they felt that the 5C would be better targeted at them.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #168 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2kW View Post

Apple should have already released a bigger iPhone at this point, unfortunately they were wasting time on developing this pos plastic phone.   Sir Ive has laid a very big egg.   Apple is even falling falling behind Samsung on watch development,

For the rest of the product year, Apple should just drop the 4S and sell the 5c for $100 less to see if their playschool phone starts selling.   At that price it would be a good value (even if not as appealing or innovative as the Moto X with the MotoMaker).   They should have 3 phones in their line up now (4inch 5s, 4inch 5c at $200 less, and 5.6 inch 5x at $100 more starting at 32 GB) 

 Apple still hasn't released a bug free iOS 7.xx.  The  board desperately needs to bring Forestal back before Google or Microsoft hires him.

Thank goodness that Apple can now read your wise words and rescue themselves from oblivion in the nick of time.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #169 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


Yeah, I prefer the rounded plastic to the metal edges too; it's much more comfortable in the hand.

 

I prefer the premium feel of Apple's leather case on a 5s.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #170 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I prefer the premium feel of Apple's leather case on a 5s.

Oh, absolutely: if I was due a 5s, that is what I would have done. If the 6 is a similar design, that's what I will do.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #171 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

I prefer the premium feel of Apple's leather case on a 5s.

I picked up the product(red) leather case for the silver/white 5s, and it's pretty sharp. Also feels real nice.

 

It probably won't stay new-looking for very long though. I already see the clear effect of use on it a couple of months in. mostly subtle discoloration around the edges. It doesn't look bad, just that "used/worn leather" look just starting to settle in. It might actually look pretty cool once it's fully broken in... we'll see!

 

As for the feel of it, that's certainly hard to beat. The perfect balance of soft grip and warm, tactile feel... worth the few extra $ for sure, imo...

 

One thing that's very different from my previous InCase hard slider case, this one is NOT a "back pocket case". I can tell that would wear it out quickly, and the phone can pop ever so slightly out of the case just from walking...

 

I still give the case a solid 4.5 stars though... ;)

post #172 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post
 

 

So you're saying you bailed on iOS 7.0? The first release version?

 

Yes, there were some early issues, but they made four rapid point updates soon after release that addressed pretty much all the issues, and some additional feature adjustment/additions.

 

I'm not sure if that feature was missing from the original release though. I recall setting mine to require Touch ID (I think it defaulted to 2 minutes) from the first time I set it up, but I was using 7.0.3 at the time.

 

Sounds like you were a little too impatient...  oh well, your loss! I'm loving mine... ;)

I just went back and added a finger again and turned on Touch ID. Once again, the Require Passcode setting changed from a list of times to a single option: Immediately. Remember, this is not "Auto-Lock", it's the time-spent-locked before the passcode (or finger scan) is required to unlock the phone. Unlock the phone before that time period and no passcode is required. With Touch ID enabled, you MUST scan your finger EVERY TIME YOU UNLOCK, even if the phone is locked for 1 second...

 

(I am on 7.0.4)

post #173 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post
 

I just went back and added a finger again and turned on Touch ID. Once again, the Require Passcode setting changed from a list of times to a single option: Immediately. Remember, this is not "Auto-Lock", it's the time-spent-locked before the passcode (or finger scan) is required to unlock the phone. Unlock the phone before that time period and no passcode is required. With Touch ID enabled, you MUST scan your finger EVERY TIME YOU UNLOCK, even if the phone is locked for 1 second...

 

(I am on 7.0.4)

So set the time interval for when it will lock. That would appear to be an equivalent route for a similar security functionality. Logically the phone is only "locked" when the passcode or TouchID is needed to "un-lock" the device. You're right, as for myself, I'm not aware of a simple screen dimming/blackout feature...

ETA: just saw that "require passcode after...". Hadn't ever used it, just set the autolock time interval. I still think the phone is only "locked" if you require a key-equivalent to get "in", otherwise it's the opposite of "locked"....


Edited by jfc1138 - 2/7/14 at 12:58pm
post #174 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post
 

So set the time interval for when it will lock. That would appear to be an equivalent route for a similar security functionality. Logically the phone is only "locked" when the passcode or TouchID is needed to "un-lock" the device. You're right, as for myself, I'm not aware of a simple screen dimming/blackout feature...

ETA: just saw that "require passcode after...". Hadn't ever used it, just set the autolock time interval. I still think the phone is only "locked" if you require a key-equivalent to get "in", otherwise it's the opposite of "locked"....

I know people who like to keep their iOS device's screen on at almost all times. I prefer to keep my screen off at all times I'm not actively using it. But since I turn off the screen so often, it becomes tedious to "unlock" the phone every single time I want to turn the screen back on if it's been off for only a couple seconds.

post #175 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post
 

I know people who like to keep their iOS device's screen on at almost all times. I prefer to keep my screen off at all times I'm not actively using it. But since I turn off the screen so often, it becomes tedious to "unlock" the phone every single time I want to turn the screen back on if it's been off for only a couple seconds.

 

But what's "tedious"? The Touch ID "unlock" action is essentially the same as "pressing the home button to power on the screen".

 

You're complaining about having to do something that you'd have to do anyway. The "Touch ID unlock" adds a few milliseconds of delay at most... in fact, most of the time I don't even notice any delay at all. Press briefly and release (but leave your finger on the home button briefly). It unlocks to the home screen instantly almost every time for me.

 

I don't have to alter my behavior at all. And the tiny bit that I "notice" now and then (the occasional half-second delay) is a very small trade-off for the increased convenience and security...

post #176 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post
 

 

But what's "tedious"? The Touch ID "unlock" action is essentially the same as "pressing the home button to power on the screen".

 

You're complaining about having to do something that you'd have to do anyway. The "Touch ID unlock" adds a few milliseconds of delay at most... in fact, most of the time I don't even notice any delay at all. Press briefly and release (but leave your finger on the home button briefly). It unlocks to the home screen instantly almost every time for me.

 

I don't have to alter my behavior at all. And the tiny bit that I "notice" now and then (the occasional half-second delay) is a very small trade-off for the increased convenience and security...

My bigger complaint is that there are restrictions to what skin surfaces you can use.

post #177 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post
 

My bigger complaint is that there are restrictions to what skin surfaces you can use.

TMI

 

:)

post #178 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post
 

TMI

 

:)

I don't believe that you've never used your knuckle or the corner of your palm to press the home button before. That covers 100% of the non-fingertip surfaces I've used...

post #179 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

https://www.anostyle.com/gallery

Missed this post 3 months back. Anyway, I like the orange on a white one:



Though $249 is a bit steep...
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Tim Cook admits iPhone 5c share lower than expected, says demand was 'different than we thought'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Tim Cook admits iPhone 5c share lower than expected, says demand was 'different than we thought'