or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Tim Cook admits iPhone 5c share lower than expected, says demand was 'different than we thought'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tim Cook admits iPhone 5c share lower than expected, says demand was 'different than we thought' - Page 2

post #41 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

IT WAS NOT A CHEAP PHONE. IT WAS NOT MARKETED AS A CHEAP PHONE. IT WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A CHEAP PHONE.


What, will we still be saying this a year later? Get it through your skulls. Come on.

Yeah that's what he said. The cheap phone wasn't cheap.


It just looked cheap.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #42 of 179

I think they made a mistake by not offering black as an option. The colors to me seem a bit gaudy. I think darker shades would have had a larger appeal. But at the end of the day why not pay $100 more for a faster phone with far more features as well as being in a metal case. I think there had to be around $150 difference for people to choose a 5c. Of course Apple hopes customers will go for a 5s, but how many that are very price conscious didn't go with a Nexus 5 or similar instead that is $200 cheaper but arguably as good if not better phone. 

post #43 of 179

Maybe if the colours didn't look so much like an easter bonnet they would have sold better?

post #44 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotstorm View Post
 

Maybe if the colours didn't look so much like an easter bonnet they would have sold better?

 

I said the same thing above. I think a nice Royal blue would have been far more appealing than the olympic blue they chose. Something like this. 

 

post #45 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Except the cheap phone was not cheap...  they tried to sell it at a premium price... fail
When did Apple ever commit to building a cheap phone?
post #46 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I said the same thing above. I think a nice Royal blue would have been far more appealing than the olympic blue they chose. Something like this. 


Colors are easy to rectify. Perhaps Apple didn't want colors that looked too similar to Windows 8 phones. If the 5C sticks around I expect the color offerings will be different.
post #47 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

There was a time when Apple used plastic cases on everything including their top of the line PowerBook and Power Mac G4. Now plastic is low-rent.

If I recall correctly, even Scott Forstall was made from plastic, and look what happened to him.

I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
Reply
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
Reply
post #48 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Either you’re illiterate or you didn’t read the post.

Your post or his? I understood both. He was saying the cheap phone wasn't cheap, you said if never was meant to be. I then suggested it shouldn't have looked cheap. He and I were engaged on an (obvious) play on words as cheap in this context means gaudy. So a cheap(/gaudy) phone should be cheap(/inexpensive).

You're a strange fish. I recall you opposing plastic phones in any shape at any price. I was disappointed with the price. In retrospect both of us were right ( if the 5 were continued and sold as well or better than the 5C it would have made better margins because of the sunk production costs).

But in your rush to defend all things Apple/Cook you forget your previous arguments.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #49 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

IT WAS NOT A CHEAP PHONE. IT WAS NOT MARKETED AS A CHEAP PHONE. IT WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A CHEAP PHONE.


What, will we still be saying this a year later? Get it through your skulls. Come on.

But it was made out of cheap plastic.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #50 of 179
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
He was saying the cheap phone wasn't cheap, you said if never was meant to be. I then suggested it shouldn't have looked cheap.

 

Who says it looked cheap?!

 
He and I were engaged on an (obvious) play on words as cheap in this context means gaudy.

 

Oh, yes. That’s obviously what you were doing¡

 
I recall you opposing plastic phones in any shape at any price.

 

Wow, I’ve certainly never been wrong before, huh¡

 
I was disappointed with the price.

 

That’s you.

post #51 of 179
Touch ID did not excite me. It's more tedious to use than a passcode.
post #52 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil 
Wow, I’ve certainly never been wrong before, huh¡

My new sig.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #53 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Touch ID did not excite me.

 

You don't get excited when you get Touchid?

I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
Reply
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
Reply
post #54 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


Your post or his? I understood both. He was saying the cheap phone wasn't cheap, you said if never was meant to be. I then suggested it shouldn't have looked cheap. He and I were engaged on an (obvious) play on words as cheap in this context means gaudy. So a cheap(/gaudy) phone should be cheap(/inexpensive).

You're a strange fish. I recall you opposing plastic phones in any shape at any price. I was disappointed with the price. In retrospect both of us were right ( if the 5 were continued and sold as well or better than the 5C it would have made better margins because of the sunk production costs).

But in your rush to defend all things Apple/Cook you forget your previous arguments.

Everyone understood what you meant. Well, everyone except the person that called you illiterate apparently. Perhaps you need to be more sarcastic and use those childish ¡ marks to get your point across. 

post #55 of 179
The funny thing about TS is when is not in full defend Apple mode he can be sensible enough. He was right about plastic iPhones.

He doesn't get that you can like apple and criticise the leadership.

Anyway I am disappointed with Cook so far but expect great things this year. Now. To bed.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #56 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmcd View Post
 

That's 'caus it's too expensive... why buy the 5C when you can pay a little more to get the 5S?

 

Why is it considered expensive while it's actually the same as iPhone 5 which was suppose to be slashed price to the same ($99) if it wasn't discontinued? The plastic back replacing metal one wasn't cheaper to produce, just easier. If Apple kept iPhone 5 at $99, it's not considered expensive in people's misconception (because they think the plastic back cost $99 less to produce and so iPhone 5c should've been free...duh!) 

I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
Reply
I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
Reply
post #57 of 179
Everyone called me a hater when it first came out, but the price difference simply wasn't great enough between the 5c and the 5s. If the off-contract price of the 5c had been around $350 or $400 Apple would have had a hit on their hands. I was in the market for a new for on Virgin Mobile, and if the 5c had been available in that range I would have seriously considered it. As it was I went with the Galaxy S3.
post #58 of 179

From another thread:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
 

I just find it funny that people who don't like something, have to convince themselves that it's wrong and is failing. I've seen this reaction with the 5c as well as iOS 7 - as with any new and drastic changes made to most things in life.

 

You see, MJ, it's not about me not liking something. "Sometimes" other people are just correct about their assessment of a situation. Not everything that Apple makes has that golden glow... nor does it need to have it. 

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #59 of 179
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
Everyone understood what you meant.

 

No, sorry, they weren’t talking about gaudiness. Grow up.

 

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Why is it considered expensive while it's actually the same as iPhone 5 which was suppose to be slashed price to the same ($99) if it wasn't discontinued? The plastic back replacing metal one wasn't cheaper to produce, just easier. If Apple kept iPhone 5 at $99, it's not considered expensive in people's misconception (because they think the plastic back cost $99 less to produce and so iPhone 5c should've been free...duh!) 

 

Exactly.

post #60 of 179

One problem is that I think consumers were confused-even those familiar with iPhone.There appeared to be significant uncertainty about what it was among those who do not follow tech blogs. Apple did not define the 5C as "last years phone", but many others in the press and casual conversation did. However, on the other hand the case was new....then the 4S was still hanging around, and some people new that China had the 4, or something like that. A real marketing and advertising mess. Apple needs to stick with only two form factors. Adjusting the price and colors will only go so far if Apple fails to take more control over the marketing. 

 

Having said that, I could tell that it wasn't selling well (but wouldn't have dared to say that here). Living in NYC where iPhones are everywhere and being a college professor that comes into contact with a very large number of young adults, I saw only two in the wild (a bright green one that I spotted from a block away and a student had a white one). No one in the class, most of whom had an iPhone-even some 5s and 5Ss had any idea why or how it was different from the 5 or 5s (besides the colors, of course) and could not conceive of its functional value.  The answer to the question, "Why should I buy this?" should not be, "Look at the colors!".

 

The 5C was new, but it wasn't new. It's cheaper, but it was just as good as the 5/5S...but it really was just as good, but it was $100 cheaper. Any initial curiosity or good will was squandered by confusion and an underlying sense by some that Apple was trying to get one over on them-selling an "old" phone as new.

 

Personally, the problem I saw with the candy colored plastic cases was not build quality or the perceived sophistication of the colors; it was that those very bright colors shouted, "Hey, I'm that new iPhone, steal me!!!"

 

Mind you, it is a new phone with some older parts and some newer parts, but that seems to have been lost on most potential consumers....

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #61 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Touch ID did not excite me. It's more tedious to use than a passcode.

 

Not at all. I still love that I can just hold my thumb on the button for a fraction of a second and the phone launches to the home screen. It's a great feature.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #62 of 179

I love the 5C.  I think the feel of the plastic they used is nicer than the metal.  I think the major reason, as Tim Cook says, was that the 5S drew customers away from the 5C with the Touch id and the 64 bit processor.

post #63 of 179
The 5C is probably not going anywhere.

It'll be free next year and Apple will probably launch 2 new models. A new mid tier model and a new high end model.

The biggest differentiator will be screen-size but both new models will carry a new unique design, and both will have Touch ID.
post #64 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimarbazat View Post

they should've known better. plastic android phones have been around for some time. The original iPhone 5 would have sold better than this infantile plastic colored device called iPhone 5c.

Have you ever heard of the iPhone 3G and 3GS?  Those sold like crazy and they were made with plastic, and came in two colors.

post #65 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmcd View Post
 

That's 'caus it's too expensive... why buy the 5C when you can pay a little more to get the 5S?

 

Because its more than just a little more. 

 

I love my iPhone 5C. Its everything I need, and nothing I don't. I still think it fills a hole in Apple's phone lineup and selling the iPhone 5 would have confused customers as the phones look nearly exactly alike. Apple needs a phone like this IMO. Its not necessarily a cheap phone, but its a cheap(er) phone that I think many still purchased. 

 

Instead of bashing the iPhone 5C and saying how much of a mistake it was, I think it would be more useful to stop and think if the 5C wasn't there, what would people have purchased. Don't just assume it would be an iPhone 5S. Perhaps, it would have been better if they would have not offered the iPhone 4S at all. Maybe even lower the price of the 5C to $79 on contract and drop the 4S.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #66 of 179

All previous posts stating what Apple and Tim Cook thinks, wants, does, believes, did or will do = Pure speculation.

post #67 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

The 5C is probably not going anywhere.

It'll be free next year and Apple will probably launch 2 new models. A new mid tier model and a new high end model.

The biggest differentiator will be screen-size but both new models will carry a new unique design, and both will have Touch ID.

 

I wondered about this when the 5c was introduced. From the beginning I thought it wouldn't live up to Apple's expectations, which made me wonder what Apple would do in 2014 to fill in the middle spot.

It seemed to be a big risk for Apple, if for no other reason than having to come up with 2 completely new untried designs to fill top and middle. so then Apple is left with a phone that didn't live up to its expectations at the bottom (and maybe it isn't even about price), and 2 untried phones at the top.

 

I didn't like the strategy in September... and I don't like it now.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #68 of 179
Tim Cook has no clue. The reason no one wanted the 5C is it was the same old 5 in a crap plastic case. Nothing to do with fingerprints.
post #69 of 179
Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post
Tim Cook has no clue.

 

The CEO of Apple has no clue! :lol: 

 
The reason no one wanted the 5C is it was the same old 5 in a crap plastic case.

 

If someone threw you into a tub of mercury, would you float or sink? Are you above or below 13.534 g/cm3?

post #70 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I wondered about this when the 5c was introduced. From the beginning I thought it wouldn't live up to Apple's expectations, which made me wonder what Apple would do in 2014 to fill in the middle spot.


It seemed to be a big risk for Apple, if for no other reason than having to come up with 2 completely new untried designs to fill top and middle. so then Apple is left with a phone that didn't live up to its expectations at the bottom (and maybe it isn't even about price), and 2 untried phones at the top.

I didn't like the strategy in September... and I don't like it now.

Well I see no other alternative for this fall.

There's no way the 4S hangs around another year and there's no way Apple builds a new $0 model from scratch.

That leaves the 5C (the 5S will likely be retired for good) as the free model meaning Apple has to create a new mid-tier and high end.

If the next iPhones are liquid metal than production should be far easier than it was for the 5S. With that being the case Apple could probably feasibly make an all new liquid metal phone with a 4 inch screen for $99/$549 containing the 5S internals of course.

The new flagship phone will be similar but have an all new 5 inch screen and an A8 processor.

Not the worst solution for Apple.
post #71 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But it was made out of cheap plastic.
According to who? The 5C got good reviews from all the tech sites. Engadget said it was the best feeling plastic phone they ever reviewed. The Verge said Samsung and LG should take note that the 5C is how you do plastic. The 5C is nor cheap plastic.
post #72 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

Tim Cook has no clue. The reason no one wanted the 5C is it was the same old 5 in a crap plastic case. Nothing to do with fingerprints.

 

No matter how many times this meme is repeated it's never going to become true. 

 

"No one wanted the 5C" yet they still sold 10-15 million of them (and that's last quarter alone, on top of the 2-3 million sold the previous quarter).   I wonder what Jedi mind trick they pulled to achieve that.   It took 2 months for Apple to sell just one million of the original iPhone!  It may have not been as much as expected, but ~15 million of a newly introduced model in a little over 3 months is nothing short of spectacular numbers regardless.  Samsung was boasting about selling 20 million S4s in 2 months, and that was their flagship product!

post #73 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Touch ID did not excite me. It's more tedious to use than a passcode.

Passcode?

I use a full strength password complete with capitals, symbols and numbers, which touch ID makes easy.

Before I used nothing.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #74 of 179
This failure is a surprise to no one but Cook. Take an existing product, slap it in a cheap colored shell and make believe that it is going to sell like crazy.

I remember the launch and Ive's film. If anyone has a chance to watch this again, you will notice how utterly humiliating it must have been for Ive. Other than saying that it came in colors and had an optional colored back sleeve with hole in it, there was nothing much other than to recite last year's specs. He had so little to say that he actually had to speak at half speed. It must have been enormously embarrassing for him.

Cook is not a product guy. He's a bean counter. Apple needs a CEO who can develop amazing ideas and set a fire under his or her people to bring them to life. Cook is CEO because Jobs couldn't find anyone better.
post #75 of 179
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

[post]

 

Yep. No one can ever talk about anything unless they own it. That’s sure correct.

post #76 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
 

 

I love my iPhone 5C. Its everything I need, and nothing I don't. I still think it fills a hole in Apple's phone lineup and selling the iPhone 5 would have confused customers as the phones look nearly exactly alike. 

Like the iPhone 4 confused customers when the 4s came out?

post #77 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When asked why the iPhone 5c represented a smaller mix of total handset sales than Apple expected, Cook said he believes customers were simply drawn to the flagship iPhone 5s.

"I think the 5s, people are really intrigued with Touch ID," Cook said. "It's a major feature that has excited people. And I think that associated with the other things that are unique to the 5s, got the 5s to have a significant amount more attention and a higher mix of sales.""People are really intrigued with Touch ID" - Apple CEO Tim Cook on why the iPhone 5s has proven more popular than the 5c.

 

Imagine how intrigued they'd be with Touch ID on the iPad.  Now imagine user profiles on the iPad, with Touch ID to identify user profiles.  Do that and nobody will care about the 5c.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #78 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Nonsense. Smart phones are subject to price elasticity like anything else. The cheaper you go the more you sell. The plastic phone didn't sell because most people can afford $100 extra for a better looking phone. However if the cheaper one costs $200 less then you're cooking. Bad price management.

You're a little confused. Optimal pricing is not about selling more units or generating more revenue, it's about maximizing profit, or long term profitability if you wish. You're saying that if Apple had priced the 5c lower then 5c sales would have taken off. But what does that do to 5s sales? And over all profitability? We don't know, so we don't have any basis for judging if bad price management really occurred.
post #79 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Sog35 will not like this.1tongue.gif

(Sorry Sog, had to rag you just a little bit, all in fun)

 

Jungmark will like it even less. 

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #80 of 179
Admit that the 5c was a mistake. Fix it and move on...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Tim Cook admits iPhone 5c share lower than expected, says demand was 'different than we thought'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Tim Cook admits iPhone 5c share lower than expected, says demand was 'different than we thought'