or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's Tim Cook hints at expanded mobile payment strategy and more for Touch ID
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's Tim Cook hints at expanded mobile payment strategy and more for Touch ID

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
While stopping short of announcing an comprehensively outlined strategy for facilitating mobile payments, Apple's chief executive Tim Cook linked the concept with iPhone 5s' Touch ID system.



"The mobile payments area in general is one we've been intrigued with,' Cook stated in the company's earnings conference call with analysts today, adding, "It was one of the thoughts behind Touch ID."

Apple introduced Touch ID as a feature to make it easy and convenient to unlock a smartphone, but also made it optionally possible to verify mobile purchases made via the company's own iTunes Store.

It hasn't enabled any other online merchants to use the hardware device to verify purchases, nor has it opened up third party access to Touch ID's fingerprint scanner or the A7's Secure Enclave verification computing resources for any other purpose.

Cook reported a favorable public response to the existing functionality offered by Touch ID, stating, "we're seeing that people love being able to buy content, whether it's music or movies or books, from their iPhone, using Touch ID." He described the ability to verify iTunes purchases via Touch ID as "incredibly simple and easy and elegant."

And while he was quick to note that Apple currently has nothing specific to announce about the future features of Touch ID, he did state that "it's clear that there's a lot of opportunity there" in mobile payments.

"You can tell by looking at the demographics of our customers, and the amount of commerce that goes through iOS devices versus the competition, that it's a big opportunity on the platform a big opportunity on the platform," he stated.

Last week, the Wall Street Journal rather safely claimed Apple was "laying the groundwork" for a mobile payments systems for goods and services.

However, while hinting at an interest in developing support for Touch ID authentication of digital transactions outside of the iTunes Store, Cook also noted that "we're not limiting ourselves just to that," suggesting that there were additional uses of Touch ID beyond the seemingly obvious extension of existing purchase verifications in iTunes.



Prior to Apple acquiring AuthenTec as the cornerstone of its Touch ID strategy, the firm described its fingerprint scanner hardware as "the world's smallest authentication/navigation smart sensor in a durable package," and detailed its ability to work as a highly precise trackpad capable of recognizing subtle gestures.

AuthenTec specifically described its sensor as being able to function as a "precise cursor control for text editing," with support for "360 degree mouse navigation," "optical joystick emulation," or as a "unique turbo-scroll feature for rapid browsing of long emails, contact lists or websites," according to public information released by the firm prior to Apple's acquisition of the firm and its intellectual property.
post #2 of 34

Now that something that could help the stock a bit tomorrow.

post #3 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
 

Now that something that could help the stock a bit tomorrow.

Given Cook's track record I think he needs to do more than speculate to get the stock to move.

 

That isn't to say the stock won't recover in the coming days because it should run up as the ex date approaches.  I would be surprised if it doesn't recover half the drop by the end of the week.

post #4 of 34
If this work I will take back all my comments on Cook. I'll love him long time.

What Apple could do here is get a percentage of the purchases of some of the world's richest consumers. It could use that to subsidise low end iPhones ( maybe without the touch ID to not dilute the consumer power) and pretty much any new products. I'd use it instead of a credit card so they would loads of money that way.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

If this work I will take back all my comments on Cook. I'll love him long time.

What Apple could do here is get a percentage of the purchases of some of the world's richest consumers. It could use that to subsidise low end iPhones ( maybe without the touch ID to not dilute the consumer power) and pretty much any new products. I'd use it instead of a credit card so they would loads of money that way.

 

The problem is that most customers who buy these cheap (free under contract) phones, don't know how to really use them, they just wanted a phone. 

 

I say they keep the same prices and make money on this as well. You can't please everyone.

post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

The problem is that most customers who buy these cheap (free under contract) phones, don't know how to really use them, they just wanted a phone. 

I say they keep the same prices and make money on this as well. You can't please everyone.

Yes I said they should subsidise low end phones, or other products with this. The top end needs to sell to higher spenders. So needs be pricey.

The question is - can apple make retailers take the percentage cut ( as they do for credit cards)? Otherwise there is less incentive.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post
 

Well that is disturbing.

Hey, don't blame me. :p

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply
post #8 of 34
Depending on the iPhone 6, if it doesn't impress me, I won't be buying another iPhone. Touch ID is awesome, and if they added a cursor to it, it would be 10 times better, of course with a bigger screen and new features.
post #9 of 34
Sure, they just did a total UI a redesign and added fingerprint scanning... how boring is that, right?
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFanatic View Post
 

 

Sadly, I must agree with you.

Having owned almost all models of iPhone,  I feel iPhone has become boring, stale even.

Seems like Apple is now mostly concerned with milking and defending its past achievements instead of developing exciting, new gadgets.

Oh, well... 

What feature would you have liked Apple to come out with in the 5s that someone else did?

 

Or do you plan on not having a phone at all in the future until someone does something out of this world?

post #11 of 34
Originally Posted by Achillies7 View Post
if they added a cursor to it

 

1. It’s a phone.

2. It’s a touchscreen.

3. Come off it with the false concern.

 

Originally Posted by AppleFanatic

Sadly, I must agree with you. Having owned almost all models of iPhone,  I feel iPhone has become boring, stale even. Seems like Apple is now mostly concerned with milking and defending its past achievements instead of developing exciting, new gadgets. Oh, well... 

 

You've already reported this item. Thanks for helping to make our community better.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While stopping short of announcing an comprehensively outlined strategy for facilitating mobile payments, Apple's chief executive Tim Cook linked the concept with iPhone 5s' Touch ID system.

"The mobile payments area in general is one we've been intrigued with,' Cook stated in the company's earnings conference call with analysts today, adding, "It was one of the thoughts behind Touch ID."

Apple introduced Touch ID as a feature to make it easy and convenient to unlock a smartphone, but also made it optionally possible to verify mobile purchases made via the company's own iTunes Store.

It hasn't enabled any other online merchants to use the hardware device to verify purchases, nor has it opened up third party access to Touch ID's fingerprint scanner or the A7's Secure Enclave verification computing resources for any other purpose.

Cook reported a favorable public response to the existing functionality offered by Touch ID, stating, "we're seeing that people love being able to buy content, whether it's music or movies or books, from their iPhone, using Touch ID." He described the ability to verify iTunes purchases via Touch ID as "incredibly simple and easy and elegant."

And while he was quick to note that Apple currently has nothing specific to announce about the future features of Touch ID, he did state that "it's clear that there's a lot of opportunity there" in mobile payments.

"You can tell by looking at the demographics of our customers, and the amount of commerce that goes through iOS devices versus the competition, that it's a big opportunity on the platform a big opportunity on the platform," he stated.

Last week, the Wall Street Journal rather safely claimed Apple was "laying the groundwork" for a mobile payments systems for goods and services.

However, while hinting at an interest in developing support for Touch ID authentication of digital transactions outside of the iTunes Store, Cook also noted that "we're not limiting ourselves just to that," suggesting that there were additional uses of Touch ID beyond the seemingly obvious extension of existing purchase verifications in iTunes.

 

Start by bringing the Touch ID sensor to the iPad.  Then add user profiles to iOS, leveraging Touch ID for user identification.  Everything will fall into place after that.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #13 of 34
Is "Touch ID" the same as the "Try Again" button?
post #14 of 34
Good. What's the point of the Touch ID if I'm constantly having to tap in user names and passwords instead of just using my thumb?

Other systems with fingerprint scanners have had this capability for a decade, so what gives?
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakamono View Post

Is "Touch ID" the same as the "Try Again" button?

I used to think the same thing until I learned you scan a finger in more than once. I have each finger scanned in twice, and I rarely see Try Again thanks to that.
post #16 of 34
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post
Other systems with fingerprint scanners have had this capability for a decade, so what gives?

 

They suck. This won’t.

They didn’t change the way payments are done around the world. This will.

 

I know what you mean. ;)

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #17 of 34
Touch ID Possibilities from Authentec spec:

• Better loupe control or character positioning, swipe left/right to move cursor one character at a time, double swipe to move word (alt+-> for eg.)

• Same as four finger gesture on iPad or Mac ie. change app/space in multitasking for a swipe gesture, up for multitasking? Might get confusing with control centre, but I still double tap home for media controls so... do that?

• Joystick in games could be good

• In-app purchases unless this is already covered, in which case Starbucks app -> In-app purchase coffee -> barcode/coupon added to passbook with preferences/drink options saved to their till? Would have to rethink that 30% though!

Any other ideas? Some of the above posts have some good ones regarding ID, but what about as a input method?
post #18 of 34

Its a given that touchID will be used for purchases at some point and its probably not that far off. The 5S is a test to discover any flaws or improvements necessary with touchID before it goes mainstream.

post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post


I used to think the same thing until I learned you scan a finger in more than once. I have each finger scanned in twice, and I rarely see Try Again thanks to that.

Dunno.  Have one finger scanned three separate times and only works occasionally.  

post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillies7 View Post

Depending on the iPhone 6, if it doesn't impress me, I won't be buying another iPhone. Touch ID is awesome, and if they added a cursor to it, it would be 10 times better, of course with a bigger screen and new features.

 

A cursor onscreen is the most idiotic thing I have heard this year...

DA FUK you want to put mouse-like controls on a touchscreen device??

 

This would be as bad like putting a touchscreen on a laptop. It doesn't work.

post #21 of 34

Did Tim Cook really drop a hint about payment?

 

Lest we forget, pundits also thought he dropped a hint about all sorts of new product categories in fall of 2013. We got great new generations of existing products, but no new product categories. Furthermore, he has been saying for quite some time now, "TV is an interesting area" or "Wearables are interesting." 

 

Lest we forget part 2: Payment platform is a service, an area where Google eats Apple for lunch.

 

Lest we forget part 3: TouchID is the most successful and most widely deployed fingerprint identification system out there. Having said this, it fails intermittently (those who argue otherwise are just dishonest and/or ignorant). Improvement may be needed to avoid fumbling to re-calibrate when paying for purchases just before Xmas, with 200 people behind you.

 

Watch for rumours to multiple as we hear next about big name banking executives being recruited by Apple.


Edited by StruckPaper - 1/28/14 at 3:12am
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post
 

Its a given that touchID will be used for purchases at some point and its probably not that far off. The 5S is a test to discover any flaws or improvements necessary with touchID before it goes mainstream.

Umm ... it is already being used for purchases. 

post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Did Tim Cook really drop a hint about payment?

Lest we forget, pundits also thought he dropped a hint about all sorts of new product categories in fall of 2013. We got great new generations of existing products, but no new product categories. Furthermore, he has been saying for quite some time now, "TV is an interesting area" or "Wearables are interesting." 

Lest we forget part 2: Payment platform is a service, an area where Google eats Apple for lunch.

Lest we forget part 3: TouchID is the most successful and most widely deployed fingerprint identification system out there. Having said this, it fails intermittently (those who argue otherwise are just dishonest and/or ignorant). Improvement may be needed to avoid fumbling to re-calibrate when paying for purchases just before Xmas, with 200 people behind you.

Watch for rumours to multiple as we hear next about big name banking executives being recruited by Apple.

Apple has an advantage over google. They already do payments fine. They already have my credit card. All they have to do is bill me both virtual and real goods at the same time. Google is getting a bad rap for privacy. It has far fewer credit cards.

And payments is where "owning the whole widget" is a winner. Who would own the revenues in an Android sale? Samsung or Google?

What would stop Samsung rolling its own payments system ( with its inevitable touch ID rip off?). I mean whatever API Samsung use this year won't be stock Android as Android doesn't have any touch ID yet. The Android payments market will fragment. Each vendor will roll their own. Well, high end vendors.

Google won't get any money.


This is why I am optimistic re Apple long term.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillies7 View Post

Depending on the iPhone 6, if it doesn't impress me, I won't be buying another iPhone. Touch ID is awesome, and if they added a cursor to it, it would be 10 times better, of course with a bigger screen and new features.

Do you promise that you will never buy another iPhone?
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFanatic View Post

Sadly, I must agree with you.
Having owned almost all models of iPhone,  I feel iPhone has become boring, stale even.
Seems like Apple is now mostly concerned with milking and defending its past achievements instead of developing exciting, new gadgets.
Oh, well... 

So please tell me what earth shattering innovations you're seeing on competitors. Bigger screen? OMG!!
Eye tracking? Get me my fainting salts!,

Typical sophomoric whining.
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


Apple has an advantage over google. They already do payments fine. They already have my credit card. All they have to do is bill me both virtual and real goods at the same time. Google is getting a bad rap for privacy. It has far fewer credit cards.
 

 

That is a good point. To be fair, iTunes is one service that Apple can be proud of, notwithstanding complaints about the iTunes app being too bloated.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

And payments is where "owning the whole widget" is a winner. Who would own the revenues in an Android sale? Samsung or Google?
 
 

A source of contention to be sure.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Google won't get any money.
 

 

But they don't want or need to. Neither does Apple. For both companies, implementing a payment platform is not a means to duplicate or compete with banks and credit card companies, and to derive revenue from it. It is an inevitable inclusion of services. If one mobile platform includes payment services, so must others. They are not going to get any meaningful revenue because that's not the goal.

post #27 of 34
I think Apple could make money. To begin with people could use their credit cards - with most of the revenue going to cc companies. Later they could use debit cards or just bill people at the end of the month - become credit card company, charging interest, or a retailer fee ( after they get established) or both.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKey View Post

A cursor onscreen is the most idiotic thing I have heard this year...
DA FUK you want to put mouse-like controls on a touchscreen device??

This would be as bad like putting a touchscreen on a laptop. It doesn't work.

It's very hard to click certain things if you have bigger hands? So why not just add it if you could.
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Do you promise that you will never buy another iPhone?

Yes, obviously if I don't like the iPhone 6, why would I buy another one... What type of question is that? Apple makes great products but they need to come out with much new features.
post #30 of 34

What a waste this "feature" is -- I have NO interest in using biometrics, still have not used it once.  NO THANKS NSAPPLE!

 

How about adding a truly useful feature instead, like Nextel style Direct Connect walkie talkie functionality with a dedicated yet programmable talk button on the side of the device?!  Now THAT I would USE!  Not to mention so many businesses!  

post #31 of 34
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

How about adding a truly useful feature instead, like Nextel style Direct Connect walkie talkie functionality with a dedicated yet programmable talk button on the side of the device?!

 

Because they don’t feel like adding a button that won’t be used non-accidentally by anyone not on a worksite?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #32 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1. It’s a phone.
2. It’s a touchscreen.
3. Come off it with the false concern.


You've already reported this item. Thanks for helping to make our community better.

Lol! Love the riposte.

It's such a standard troll attack to call the iPhone stale. It may be manna from heaven, but I wouldn't call it stale right now.
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apple has an advantage over google. They already do payments fine. They already have my credit card. All they have to do is bill me both virtual and real goods at the same time. Google is getting a bad rap for privacy. It has far fewer credit cards.

And payments is where "owning the whole widget" is a winner. Who would own the revenues in an Android sale? Samsung or Google?

What would stop Samsung rolling its own payments system ( with its inevitable touch ID rip off?). I mean whatever API Samsung use this year won't be stock Android as Android doesn't have any touch ID yet. The Android payments market will fragment. Each vendor will roll their own. Well, high end vendors.

Google won't get any money.


This is why I am optimistic re Apple long term.

Very well thought out; I hadn't considered that Google/Samsung problem with mobile payments.
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillies7 View Post


Yes, obviously if I don't like the iPhone 6, why would I buy another one... What type of question is that? Apple makes great products but they need to come out with much new features.

congrats on having the lamest and least intelligent post this week on AI. Although liberty is running right there with you.

 Quite an accomplishment considering all the low life, mangy droid dork trolls roaming this vicinity.

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's Tim Cook hints at expanded mobile payment strategy and more for Touch ID
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's Tim Cook hints at expanded mobile payment strategy and more for Touch ID