or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › President Obama lauds FCC partnership with Apple, other tech firms in ConnectED education program [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

President Obama lauds FCC partnership with Apple, other tech firms in ConnectED education program...

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
During his State of the Union address on Tuesday, U.S. President Barack Obama mentioned Apple as one of the companies participating in the ConnectED initiative to connect 99 percent of students to advanced high-speed internet.

Update: In a statement to The Loop, Apple confirmed that its role in the ConnectED initiative spans across multiple divisions.

"We are proud to join President Obama in this historic initiative to transform America's schools," Apple said. "Apple has a long history in education, and we have pledged to contribute MacBooks, iPads, software and our expertise to support the ConnectED project. We look forward to announcing more details with the White House soon."

Obama
President Obama speaks about high-tech education at the State of the Union address. | Source: YouTube


Speaking on the state of education in America, or more specifically the ConnectED high-tech initiative, President Obama gave a tip of the cap to Apple, Microsoft, Sprint and Verizon for their role in connecting U.S. students to the Internet.

"Last year I also pledged to connect 99 percent of our students to high-speed broadband over the next four years," President Obama said. "Tonight I can announce that with the support of the FCC and companies like Apple, Microsoft, Sprint and Verizon, we've got a down payment to start connecting more than 15,000 schools and 20 million students over the next two years without adding a dime to the deficit."

According to the President, the Federal Communications Commission is working with the tech giants in a move is being framed as a "down payment" ahead of Congressional oversight of the E-Rate plan.

In an accompanying State of the Union fact sheet (PDF link) provided by the White House, it was announced that President Obama will further detail philanthropic partnerships with tech companies including Apple in the coming weeks.
post #2 of 35

Bleh.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #3 of 35
Of course Apple would be involved. Any chances to get kids hooked on Apple products are potential future revenues for Apple.
post #4 of 35

Please just move to PoliticalOutsider.

 

Please just initially post such articles in PoliticalOutsider. :p 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #5 of 35
Wonderful news
post #6 of 35
Cool, Obama!

Now can we have the entire Department of Just-us fired?
post #7 of 35
No mention of the Amazon-DOJ partnership?
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Bleh.


Why? I ask that in earnest.

For what I have seen so far is that the tech companies are doing it as a philanthropic effort.
post #9 of 35
Tim Cook for President!
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post

Of course Apple would be involved.

Why "of course" Apple would be involved?
You think Apple wrote/approved this speech?
Quote:
Any chances to get kids hooked on Apple products are potential future revenues for Apple.
What's your point?
Same could be said of any product.
post #11 of 35

This will probably be as successful a program as all of the other recent successes and remarkable triumphs made by this highly competent government. 

post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

Tim Cook for President!

Hillary Clinton or Chris Christie up next?

post #13 of 35
The Obama I know is a quaint memory.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post

Of course Apple would be involved. Any chances to get kids hooked on Apple products are potential future revenues for Apple.

LOL ...

post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Tim Cook is a joke! Hillary in 2016 all the way!

You must be kidding man, we dont need another Democrat in the office...
post #16 of 35

While at the same time taking a swipe at Apple when Obama mention penalizing companies for holding profits overseas and putting an end to most patent lawsuits.

post #17 of 35
Ah, the cynicism here is palpable.

Chalk me up as someone who's actually impressed. Classroom connectedness is a MASSIVE issue, and the quicker we get in front of it, the better.
post #18 of 35
Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizdec View Post

You must be kidding man, we dont need another Democrat in the office...

Yes because the last Republican in the Office did so much better.
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Y
Yes because the last Republican in the Office did so much better.


Ideally it'd be somebody who doesn't want to be president. Though Congress is a tire fire so it doesn't particularly matter who is president

post #20 of 35
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post
Ideally it'd be somebody who doesn't want to be president.

 

Yeah, just what we need: someone who doesn’t care about doing the job, rather than someone we just don’t want to do the job. :no:

 

We need a president with high-level business experience. Preferably a COO or CFO. “Lawyer” and “politician” should be careers that make becoming president illegal. 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Yeah, just what we need: someone who doesn’t care about doing the job, rather than someone we just don’t want to do the job. :no:

 

We need a president with high-level business experience. Preferably a COO or CFO. “Lawyer” and “politician” should be careers that make becoming president illegal. 


Not caring about the job and not wanting the position are two wildly different things. The office is generally sought after by those who are want power for themselves and it's my opinion that doesn't make for the best leader

post #22 of 35
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post
Not caring about the job and not wanting the position are two wildly different things. The office is generally sought after by those who are want power for themselves and it's my opinion that doesn't make for the best leader

 

Then say ‘those who don’t want the job for its own sake.” Not wanting the job at all is, well… :p

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #23 of 35

IF schools were privately run, not only would the kids ALREADY have access to broadband, they would be getting a decent education, rather than a new 5 year plan, every year from the politburo and ever increasing spending to rich union mafia bosses.

post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then say ‘those who don’t want the job for its own sake.” Not wanting the job at all is, well… 1tongue.gif

Or you could just say, sorry I misunderstand your point. 1wink.gif
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #25 of 35
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post
Or you could just say, sorry I misunderstand your point. 1wink.gif

 

No, the point was unclear.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, the cynicism here is palpable.

Chalk me up as someone who's actually impressed. Classroom connectedness is a MASSIVE issue, and the quicker we get in front of it, the better.

I agree. The problem with any form of extremism, doesn't matter what it's about, is that it's blinding. Whether it's about religion, politics, or anything else, extremism leads to nothing good ever happening. I for one appreciate that people might not agree with me. It's called human nature. I do however think that if people step back, most of the time common ground can be found. I truly hope this initiative pays off. Others should hope so too. Our educational system has fallen so far behind in so many regards, that any solid steps to improve it, are appreciated.
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, the point was unclear.
Perhaps to you, I found it perfectly clear what he was trying to say as I am sure others did as well.

I know you don't believe this, but it is possible for you to misunderstand what someone has posted here, and admitting that fact will not kill you. Or you can just be "right" and I guess that works for you. I know that it frustrates me when someone who is clearly intelligent is unable to admit any possible shortcomings. Nothing more to say here myself.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #28 of 35
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post
Perhaps to you, I found it perfectly clear what he was trying to say as I am sure others did as well.

I know you don't believe this, but it is possible for you to misunderstand what someone has posted here, and admitting that fact will not kill you. Or you can just be "right" and I guess that works for you. I know that it frustrates me when someone who is clearly intelligent is unable to admit any possible shortcomings. Nothing more to say here myself.

 

I obviously misunderstood it; that’s evident in the posts. It wouldn’t have been misunderstood had it been written correctly.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Speaking on the state of education in America, or more specifically the ConnectED high-tech initiative, President Obama gave a tip of the cap to Apple, Microsoft, Sprint and Verizon for their role in connecting U.S. students to the Internet.

When I heard him say that last night, I thought, What did AT&T do to piss off Obama?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
“Lawyer” and “politician” should be careers that make becoming president illegal. 

 

This would be awesome.  I'd make this the new "First Ammendment", and bump all the others down one.   I guess that would be confusing.

 

Something 1000x-more-likely, but still impossible:  Congressional Term Limits.

post #31 of 35

Just please don't suggest BPL. Broadband over Power Lines is nothing but a headache.

 

What are overhead power lines? Antennas.

Since the industry does not want to limit the frequencies used all that happens is the airwaves get polluted with noise and interference. This affects military, commercial and ham radio communications.

post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi View Post
 

IF schools were privately run, not only would the kids ALREADY have access to broadband, they would be getting a decent education, rather than a new 5 year plan, every year from the politburo and ever increasing spending to rich union mafia bosses.

 

Private schools do exist today. You don't have the issue of out of date books there, because the parents typically have to purchase the aforementioned textbooks. What makes you think it would work out well overall? Is there a proven model in any country that you really like?

post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

This would be awesome.  I'd make this the new "First Ammendment", and bump all the others down one.   I guess that would be confusing.

Something 1000x-more-likely, but still impossible:  Congressional Term Limits.

Thomas Jefferson was a lawyer, so not all lawyers are complete scum.

I agree completely on term-limits for Congress. Any limits would be a good start.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #34 of 35
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
Thomas Jefferson was a lawyer, so not all lawyers are complete scum.


Exactly! If he’s any indication, lawyers are pretty darn good at writing law. 

 

But the president doesn’t write law. He runs the company.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Exactly! If he’s any indication, lawyers are pretty darn good at writing law. 

But the president doesn’t write law. He runs the company.

And this president and the previous president have both proven that when they break the law and do everything they can to circumvent the Constitution, there are no repercussions.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › President Obama lauds FCC partnership with Apple, other tech firms in ConnectED education program [u]