or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Incoming Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts to be named Dame of the British Empire

Incoming Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts to be named Dame of the British Empire - Page 4

post #121 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsdevvy View Post

Let me get this straight.. you want Apple to make a larger screened iPhone, while charging less money.... AND making more profit?  You can't do all three.  Apple's profit margin is lower because of the 'cheaper' devices they've added, which seem to be purchased by enough customers to lower overall profit margin.  If Apple were to release a new 6" iPhone (big enough for you?) at the $350 price you keep throwing around, they'd be LOSING money on every single device, which would in turn kill their profits and their stock price... no doubt sending you into a coma.

Congratulations! Your first post is complete nonsense.

post #122 of 164

I totally feel the love.  You make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Please do tell.. how is it complete nonsense as a response to the person who insists on Apple selling a less expensive, larger screened device to compete with Samsung phones, all while making more money and retaining Apple's quality?

post #123 of 164
Quote:

Please do tell.. how is it complete nonsense as a response to the person who insists on Apple selling a less expensive, larger screened device to compete with Samsung phones, all while making more money and retaining Apple's quality?

Because you are conflating a bunch of completely different ideas: the big device, the cheap device, etc, etc.

post #124 of 164
Quote:

Probably because I doubt he was suggesting that they sell a larger phone as their cheaper version. He was talking about the 5c or a new mid range offering.Two completely different topics. Also why is that whenever someone mentions a larger phone people start talking about using the iPad Mini or a 6" phone. There is a whole lot of options between 4" and 6". If Apple can sell and make a profit on a 16GB iPod Touch at $229 there is little doubt they could also make a very nice profit on a very similar product with the needed telephony parts for around $449. Unless you want to argue that those parts costs more than $220 which would be hard to defend since brand new phone with LTE can be had now for under $200. I don't think anyone suggested Apple should sell a large phone cheaper. Very likely Apple will charge a $100 premium for a larger iPhone.

post #125 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

Because you are conflating a bunch of completely different ideas: the big device, the cheap device, etc, etc.

He can hardly be blamed for conflating what our new knight of flatus, sog35 says. Sir Sogy.
post #126 of 164

STOP.

FEEDING.

THE.

TROLLS!

post #127 of 164

Well, if Apple were to make a 'larger' device, without hurting their profit margins, it would be priced higher.  I'm not sure many people want to pay an extra $100 (that seems to be Apple's going rate for feature additions) for a larger phone, especially with carriers deciding subsidies are bad.  At this point, unless they've found a manufacturer that can make larger screens at a slightly lower cost than the 4" screen, I don't see a new larger iPhone appearing at the same cost of the 5S.  That may change by September, however.

Sure, they could make a 'mid-range' phone, but they already HAVE a mid-range phone called the iPhone 5C. True, it's priced higher than people would like, but at this point in time, Apple can't manufacture the device cheap enough to reduce the price by the amount people want without angering investors.  The iPhone 5/5C's hardware is the lowest end I can see Apple going with.  It would be counterproductive to go down to the A5 - they might as well have kept the iPhone 4/4S around if they're going to do that.

post #128 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsearcher View Post

Have you ever considered this might not be all on Tim Cook? For all you know he wanted to implemented several of your ideas but their were technical reasons, maybe supply issues, or something else that prevented him from moving faster with a large display than he would have liked. Apple is also a very slow moving and conservative company. They are rarely bleeding edge when it comes to established products with a few exceptions but when they decide to go for it they bet the farm like they did with the introduction of the iPhone which was a make or break gamble. Like I said before I would have also much preferred a larger iPhone far sooner but I don't think it is too late. People are not all that loyal to phones or even carriers. It is pretty easy to switch between Android and iPhone with lots of ways to sync your contacts. So if Apple releases a larger display there is no reason why all the people who left the platform, wanted to try an iPhone but were waiting for a larger display, and probably a lot of current iPhone customers that are considering leaving won't if Apple releases one this year. If a new iPhone comes out and they still only have a 4" iPhone I will join the chorus with you calling for Tim Cook to resign because I think a lot of very patient iPhone customers will start leaving and giving Android a shot.

Hey look, some realism!

When or if Apple does a larger screened phone, you are going to see some technology that enabled it that wasn't available till now. For example, it will be IGZO backplaned, or maybe LTPS.

But, you say, iPhones have been LTPS for years. Correct, but Apple used so much of the world output of LTPS (was it 70%?) that there was only scraps left for Amazon and Google's giveaway tablets.

Apple is not going to release a larger phone until they can supply 30 million or so decent retina LCD screens with good battery life per quarter . Not possible until now, if it's possible at all. Tim Cook says no tradeoffs, he means no tradeoffs. If you want to argue with this, be prepared for withering detail.
post #129 of 164

I wonder what Angela Ahrendts' views are on a larger phone...

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #130 of 164
Quote:

Well, if Apple were to make a 'larger' device, without hurting their profit margins, it would be priced higher.  I'm not sure many people want to pay an extra $100 (that seems to be Apple's going rate for feature additions) for a larger phone, especially with carriers deciding subsidies are bad.  At this point, unless they've found a manufacturer that can make larger screens at a slightly lower cost than the 4" screen, I don't see a new larger iPhone appearing at the same cost of the 5S.  That may change by September, however.

Sure, they could make a 'mid-range' phone, but they already HAVE a mid-range phone called the iPhone 5C. True, it's priced higher than people would like, but at this point in time, Apple can't manufacture the device cheap enough to reduce the price by the amount people want without angering investors.  The iPhone 5/5C's hardware is the lowest end I can see Apple going with.  It would be counterproductive to go down to the A5 - they might as well have kept the iPhone 4/4S around if they're going to do that.

Why do you assume a slightly larger screen would necessarily be more expensive? It may or may not and might even be the same or cheaper. The iPad Mini retina is only $399 and they are making a profit and it uses the A7 the same one in the iPhone 5s. Why is it so inconceivable that Apple could not make a profit at $459 in a phone? 

post #131 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You can still get the honor but can't use the title. For example Jony Ive can be called Sir Jony, but Bill Gates can not be called Sir Bill.

That's where my confusion comes from. Thx.
post #132 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I wonder what Angela Ahrendts' views are on a larger phone...

LOL Nicely done, sir. :)

post #133 of 164
Quote:

Why do you assume a slightly larger screen would necessarily be more expensive? It may or may not and might even be the same or cheaper. The iPad Mini retina is only $399 and they are making a profit and it uses the A7 the same one in the iPhone 5s. Why is it so inconceivable that Apple could not make a profit at $459 in a phone? 

It depends. If the 6 will be 4" and the 6+ will 4.5 or so, the latter would be $50-100 more.
post #134 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

You can't deal with the truth.

Revenue up only 7% last 4 qtrs.

profits down 9%

Wow... and it can use the Ctrl-V keys as well!

Make it CEO!

post #135 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Hey look, some realism!

When or if Apple does a larger screened phone, you are going to see some technology that enabled it that wasn't available till now. For example, it will be IGZO backplaned, or maybe LTPS.

But, you say, iPhones have been LTPS for years. Correct, but Apple used so much of the world output of LTPS (was it 70%?) that there was only scraps left for Amazon and Google's giveaway tablets.

Apple is not going to release a larger phone until they can supply 30 million or so decent retina LCD screens with good battery life per quarter . Not possible until now, if it's possible at all. Tim Cook says no tradeoffs, he means no tradeoffs. If you want to argue with this, be prepared for withering detail.

I agree, until there is enough supply of high end displays and improved battery technology to drive them, Apple won't do it.  Apple doesn't want to have the big screened phone that you have to keep plugged in to use.  Granted, larger screens allow for larger devices and batteries.  Who knows, maybe we're already at a point where energy density is 'good enough' for a larger screened iPhone to last all day.

Quote:

I was under the impression that the Mini and Mini Retina were lowering profit margins, thus my comment on the phone needing to be more expensive (or wait till the prices on displays, batteries, and larger device casings come down) to maintain profit margins and appease shareholders.  But like I said, it's possible that by September, the costs will have been reduced enough to do it at the same price as the 5S.  Let's break out the magic 8 ball and see what it says.

post #136 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

I wasn't commenting on whether 4 inches is big enough.

It's not the size that counts it's how you use it? 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #137 of 164
Quote:

So in total Mr Cook has lost investors $150,000,000,000 after netting out div/buyback. 

I think that should be enough to get anyone FIRED.

No one 'lost' anything. It was overvalued then, and undervalued now.

Better get yourself an education in finance before you play with the big boys in the market.

Oh, people who (as Cramer puts it) 'schnitzled', as you should have, above $600 made a bundle.

post #138 of 164
Quote:

Let me get this straight.. you want Apple to make a larger screened iPhone, while charging less money.... AND making more profit?  You can't do all three.  Apple's profit margin is lower because of the 'cheaper' devices they've added, which seem to be purchased by enough customers to lower overall profit margin.  If Apple were to release a new 6" iPhone (big enough for you?) at the $350 price you keep throwing around, they'd be LOSING money on every single device, which would in turn kill their profits and their stock price... no doubt sending you into a coma.

sorry I was not clear.  I want Apple to make a top tier large phone, top tier regular sized phone, mid level large and mid level regular.  Even loser companies like HTC can make big phones at decent prices.

They won't be losing money.  If they sell 30% more phones they will be making more money.  And thats not even the point.  The point is to get 1,000,000,000 users on your ecosystem and then make money off of services and software and OS updates.  That is the end game.  Hardware is just the trojan horse.  Apple cannot keep growing long term if they 90% of their profits are hardware.  It needs to go down to 50% hardware and 50% software/services.  The way to get to that level is to increase market share.  By decreasing margins from 37% to about 30% they should be able to capture 20-25% of the market (what Samsung has been able to do with a far worse product, ecosystem, OS, brand name, and customer service).

Once you have 1,000,000,000 users you would only need to extract $20 from each user each year to match what Apple is making on hardware sales right now.  That can EASILY be done with iTunes purchases and a nominal fee of $15 to update the OS each year.

That is my plan.  Not saying its the only way for success but its a plan.  I don't see any plan coming from Cook.  All he says is they are going to make amazing new hardware.  Thats not enough.  They need to expand services/software to grow earnings 10-15% each year.

post #139 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

No one 'lost' anything. It was overvalued then, and undervalued now.

Better get yourself an education in finance before you play with the big boys in the market.

Oh, people who (as Cramer puts it) 'schnitzled', as you should have, above $600 made a bundle.

It was not overvalued.  Profits were growing 30%+ YoY which justified a PE ratio of 18 and a share price of $700.

But then Cook messed up.  First by not releasing the iPhone5 with a bigger screen.  That move alone allowed Samsung to sell over 200,000,000 Galaxy phones in the next 2 years.  Those 200,000,000 sales would have allowed Apple to continue to grow at least 20% a year.  Then Cook messed up because he did not see smartphone saturation and did not release mid range phones.  Instead Samsung dominated that area and took profits of close to $25 Billion. 

post #140 of 164

Regarding the bigger phone argument going on, I personally think Apple let Samsung grew much bigger without bigger screen phone.  Letting your enemy/copycat grow bigger produces more damage compared to lost profits! 

Poor Blackberry got crushed because of Tim Cook not bringing in bigger size phone :err: 

If you have money buy the Stock. It is going higher in 2014!

post #141 of 164
Quote:

She should be CO-CEO or take Tim Cooks job.

She could convince me to buy a jacket for $900.  Sorry but Tim Cook has no mojo.

Co-CEOships rarely work out. Yes, Samsung has "co-CEOs," but most companies need a single person in charge. Otherwise internal politics creates a proble.

post #142 of 164
Quote:

It was not overvalued.  Profits were growing 30%+ YoY which justified a PE ratio of 18 and a share price of $700.

But then Cook messed up.  First by not releasing the iPhone5 with a bigger screen.  That move alone allowed Samsung to sell over 200,000,000 Galaxy phones in the next 2 years.  Those 200,000,000 sales would have allowed Apple to continue to grow at least 20% a year.  Then Cook messed up because he did not see smartphone saturation and did not release mid range phones.  Instead Samsung dominated that area and took profits of close to $25 Billion.

A lot of people would have purchased Samsung phones regardless. Not everyone is looking solely for a larger screen. Believe it or not, some people prefer Android. As for the mid-range, it isn't very profitable. Samsung makes most of its profit from the same segment as Apple. Note that Apple still makes more money from mobile than Samsung, even with less than half the market share.

post #143 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

A lot of people would have purchased Samsung phones regardless. Not everyone is looking solely for a larger screen. Believe it or not, some people prefer Android. As for the mid-range, it isn't very profitable. Samsung makes most of its profit from the same segment as Apple. Note that Apple still makes more money from mobile than Samsung, even with less than half the market share.

Why didn't they buy Samsung before the Galaxy S2 then?  That phone changed the game and almost every single person I ask who owns a Samsung says its the screen size that was the biggest factor in their decision.

Its not about hardware profits.  The goal should be to gain 1,000,000,000 users and then profit off of services and software.  At this point Apple has about 400,000,000 users.

post #144 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

Co-CEOships rarely work out. Yes, Samsung has "co-CEOs," but most companies need a single person in charge. Otherwise internal politics creates a proble.

Sammy needs two because one CEO must have deniability while the other bribes the govt.
post #145 of 164

Its not about hardware profits.  The goal should be to gain 1,000,000,000 users and then profit off of services and software.  At this point Apple has about 400,000,000 users.

Sell AAPL. Buy GOOG. And never speak of this nonsense again.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #146 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sell AAPL. Buy GOOG. And never speak of this nonsense again.

Or just block him.
post #147 of 164
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
Or just block him.

I’m not a “fingers in my ears” kind of person. Why would anyone want Apple to stop making money on what makes them money?

post #148 of 164
Quote:

Its taking FRIKEN THREE YEARS to finally bring out a bigger smartphone.  Thats RIDICULOUS!! 

Jobs knew that the future wasn't phones with massive screens and he's still right. Cook only signed off a slightly larger screen to keep "bigger is better" idiots happy.

post #149 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by havabanana View Post

I don't really understand all this malarkey about a larger iPhone. I'm more than happy with the size of the iPhone5s and wouldn't want anything larger. Just shouting about something all the time doesn't make it a fact . . .

What is worst the fad has already run its course. There is just so much room in ones pocket for a brick.
post #150 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’m not a “fingers in my ears” kind of person. Why would anyone want Apple to stop making money on what makes them money?
Someone who just lost a shitload on AAPL and isn't thinking clearly.
post #151 of 164
Quote:

Steve was DYING. Give the man a FRIKEN break. 
Have you even bothered to read up on the history of Apple and Steves management of the company. He screwed up more things than you realize. Many of the engineers building the products of the future had to hide what they where doing from Steve so that the work would not get canned. There is no basis for your Steve worship.
Quote:
He did anticipate demand with the iPod, iPhone, iTunes, App Store, and iPad.  He did.
Again you are simply uninformed.
Quote:
Now name me ONE THING Cook anticipated?  ONE THING.
How would anybody here answer that question?
Quote:
He anticipated a demand for a $550 cheap looking plastic iPhone.  WRONG! 
There is nothing wrong with that phone, people wanted that finger print sensor more than anything. The fact is there is no way to predict customer up take for any product, be it a Cabbage Patch Doll or a plastic iPhone.
Quote:
He Fuking didn't even produce enought 5S phones this holiday season!!! What a f'ing joke. 
Do you really think Cook is happy about that?
Quote:
Then didn't make enought iPadMini Retina.  WTF!!!!

Same thing last year with iPadMini, iPhone5, and iMac.
All this means is that demand moves into the next quarter. It is exceptionally bad economics to build factories to serve a few weeks of early adopters. Given that though yeah it would have been nice to better predict the demand split between the top of the line models and the 5C. Companies get this wrong all the time which is often why you see dumping of product into alternative channels.
post #152 of 164
If we're all done hijacking the comments section on this article and in case anyone is still interested in the original subject, there is an excellent article about Angela by Jeff Chu of FastCompany here:

http://www.fastcompany.com/3023591/angela-ahrendts-a-new-season-at-apple
Arguing with a troll is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board, and then strut around acting like he won.
Arguing with a troll is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board, and then strut around acting like he won.
post #153 of 164
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It was/is a serious question.

I have 74-year-old eyes and stubby fat fingers. I find it difficult to use any smart phone.

My daughter has an iPad Mini and an iPhone 5C -- she takes them both with her most of the time.

I have an iPhone 5S, but only use it if I must. I always have my iPad 4 with me. I definitely would consider an iPhone the size of an iPad Mini -- only have to carry one device.

Not everyone has the same needs or desires -- but mine are as important to me, as yours are to you.

One problem with people who love iOS and want to stick with that but also want a larger display is the data plans on the iPad. On an iPhone you can likely get unlimited calls, unlimited texts and a big chunk of data for less money than just a a few GB's of data only on an iPad. If the iPad mini had not only cellular data but was also  full fledged phone as well complete with the same plans available to the iPhone then I think many people might consider it. That is a bit too big fro me since I still want to be able to carry it in my pants pocket. But people still need to use their iPhone as a phone not to mention calling 911 in an emergency so until that happens I do not see the iPad mini as a reasonable stand alone option as long as voice and texts are not possible. (yes, I know VoiP and 3rd party text programs are available but that is another layer of costs and complexity and still does not allow for 911 calls)

Exactly! If the iPad Mini were as capable as an iPhone and had the same carrier plans -- I'd jump on it.

The "pocketability" is not major [big] issue for me.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #154 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

I wasn't commenting on whether 4 inches is big enough.

It's not the size that counts it's how you use it? 1wink.gif

Or, as we commoners would say: "It's not the meat, it's the motion".

post #155 of 164
Pre-announcing it in the Press will likely result in the honour being pulled... These things are supposed to remain confidential until officially announced.
post #156 of 164
Quote:
Angela Ahrendts will become Apple's SVP of Retail and Online Stores in 2014

I hope she might have the stage presence similar to Steve Jobs and could head up the Keynotes and such in the future. Tim Cook doesn't have any stage presence at all, and Steve Ballmer was a total clown on the stage, but Steve Jobs had the right mix of low key and ernest salesmanship that he honed to perfection over 30 years. If Angela can't cut it on stage, I'd like to see Apple hire a spokesperson to do the front work. Even John Hodgman (Mr. PC) could pull it off.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #157 of 164
Quote:

Its obvious now the worldwide unit sales for top-end smartphones is about 250,000,000-275,000,000 units a year.

Apple could have easily caputured 75% of that market if they brought out a big phone on time.

What boggles my mind is Apple had NO CLUE the market was saturated until now.  Why do I say so?  If they knew the market was saturated they would have released a mid-level phone ($350).  But they didn't.  Either they knew the market was saturated and they didn't give a shet (Arrogant) or they where blindsided by saturation (Clueless).

Yeah, they increased sales by 12.9% because the top-end smartphone market is totally saturated.  Mkay. 

And using your numbers if samsung sold 100M S3 and Note 2s and then sold 100M S4 and Note 3s then they didn't grow their share of the top-end smartphones at all.

Samsung's protestations that the top-end market is saturating and therefore SGS4 sales were lower than expected is belied by the 12.9% increase in iPhone sales.

Apple continues to increase their overall mobile phone share which is a better indication of whether or not the market has saturated for Apple.  Apple grew sales at a faster pace than the overall market (IDC).  For the year Apple went from 8.6% of the total market in 2012 to 9.2% of the total market in 2013 (Strategy Analytics).

IDC:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/28/apple-phone-share-4q-2013/

Strategy Analytics:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1703356

Given they are outpacing total market growth and the #3 handset maker behind Samsung and Nokia while only playing in high end market is pretty good for a clueless or arrogant CEO eh?  

I guess you could argue that Apple simply took high-end share from Samsung, LG, et al at the now saturated top end of the market.  That's not exactly resounding support for the contention that Apple crippled itself by not releasing larger smartphones either.

post #158 of 164

"She's set to be named a Dame of the British Empire...."

Somehow I couldn't help imagining Humphrey Bogart's voice saying that as I read it. Something about the way he pronounced "dames" I guess! :D 

post #159 of 164
Quote:

Profits down 10% the last year.

Tim Cook  has been given the best brand in the entire universe and he can't grow earnings?  I'm sorry but the guy is making over a hundred million the last few years. Dude needs to bring results this year or he should be fired or demoted to COO

I've been avoiding your incessant rant here, but now I'm getting annoyed by it. So I'm going to engage it instead. 

I'm not at all clear by what you mean when you say "profits down 10%" in the last year. Where are you getting this? What are you referring to exactly? 

Margins? Annual net earnings total? 

You're the first and only person I've seen that is using those words here (or anywhere else I've read). "Profits down 10% the past year". 

It seems to me that it's also an odd time to be ranting, just after one of their best quarters EVER was just announced? Sales, revenue, profits, even margins on the rise (though those are still down from historic -- and IMO unhealthy -- highs in the 40-percentile range)...

Regardless. What are you basing that statement "Profits down 10% the past year" on? Something credible and tangible please. Let's start there...

post #160 of 164

Wow! Sog35's off the deep end. I heard that even Constable Odo send him a PM asking him to tone down his 'fire Timid Cook' rants!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Incoming Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts to be named Dame of the British Empire