or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Incoming Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts to be named Dame of the British Empire

Incoming Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts to be named Dame of the British Empire - Page 3

post #81 of 164

Good for her.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

not joking.  Apple is entering a new era that needs a CEO with vision and mojo.  Something Cook is missing.

Steve is a hard act to follow, and Tim certainly does not have the magic that he brought to presentations, but from the view of someone that has been following Apple for years that has no financial investment in Apple, personally I'd say he's doing a pretty damn good job so far.

Quote:

If Cook had vision he would have clearly seen the need for a larger screen phone.  Bad enough he didn't see the change coming but worse he FAILED to adjust once Samsung brought out the Galaxy S2.  Its taking Apple THREE FRIKEN YEARS to finally respond and bring out a bigger phone.  What a joke.  If they were proactive and brought out the big phone earlier they would have sold 75M phones this quarter.

Just because you happen to want a phone with a larger screen, does not mean everyone does. I for one definitely do not, nor do any of my co-workers and we all work for an online business that makes exclusive use of Macs in the office (UK based, age range of 20 between 35 - myself being 25 and the Development Manager if you are interested), only one of us does not own an iPhone.

Last time I checked, my iPhone 5 has a bigger screen than my 3GS did.

I am more than happy with the size of my iPhone 5, honestly, I don't want a bigger phone. If I wanted a bigger Apple product, I'd likely go get myself an iPad Mini (which, coincidentally, I also do not want). A 22 year old Canadian friend of mine does not even want to replace her 4 because the iPhones after it are "too big" for her.

I'm not saying that either you or I are right/wrong here, just that saying Apple would have sold 75M phones this quarter due to releasing an iPhone with a bigger screen is pure speculation and you know that as well as anyone else here.

Quote:

Cook is great at manufactering but we need someone who can perceive what the customer wants BEFORE the customer knows it himself.  The larger iPhone, ipad mini were both products the MARKET told Apple to make and then they made it.  Thats the opposite of what Steve Jobs did when he ANTICIPATED the demand for iPod and the original iPhone/iPad.

Most companies rarely get one major breakthrough product like Apple has. Apple already has three. Tim's been CEO for less than two and a half years - it took Apple six to go from first generation iPod to first generation iPhone. Patience is a virtue, as they say. I suspect Tim of having some surprises in the pipeline.

I'm not even going to start on the "not producing enough iPhones/iPads" comments. That has always been the case. So much so that I've always considered it to be part of their marketing strategy as it helps increase demand.

---

But you're right, the continued YoY growth for iPhone and iPad is so discouraging. /s

I'm sorry that you are sore over your share prices, but the people you have to blame for that is the "Analysts" (or rumour mongers as I prefer to call them that) that for whatever reason,  some people stupidly keep taking their word about what is going to/expected to happen at Apple as law.

post #82 of 164

I've forgotten... what was this article about?

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #83 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

How big a screen should a phone have?

Would you consider a phone with a screen the size of an iPad Mini?

Are you being serious? No I would not consider an iPad mini since that is not pocketable. I think anything slightly north or south of 5 inches would satisfy most people looking for a larger phone.

post #84 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsearcher View Post

Quote:

How big a screen should a phone have?

Would you consider a phone with a screen the size of an iPad Mini?
Are you being serious? No I would not consider an iPad mini since that is not pocketable. I think anything slightly north or south of 5 inches would satisfy most people looking for a larger phone.

It was/is a serious question.

I have 74-year-old eyes and stubby fat fingers. I find it difficult to use any smart phone.

My daughter has an iPad Mini and an iPhone 5C -- she takes them both with her most of the time.

I have an iPhone 5S, but only use it if I must. I always have my iPad 4 with me. I definitely would consider an iPhone the size of an iPad Mini -- only have to carry one device.

Not everyone has the same needs or desires -- but mine are as important to me, as yours are to you.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #85 of 164
Quote:

why Steve was alive there was really no demand for smaller tablets. 

Bottom line is even an IDIOT could see the benefits of a bigger screen once the Galaxy S2 came out THREE FRIKEN YEARS AGO.  Yet Apple still  has not released a bigger phone.  Pathetic.  and Arrogant.

Apple did release a bigger phone in that time span.  It just apparently wasn't "bigger enough".

post #86 of 164
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
I've forgotten... what was this article about?

Giving Tim Cook the death penalty for selling the most iPhones Apple has ever sold and giving them their best quarter ever.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #87 of 164

Great she is now a Dame

Sad we no longer have an Empire!

post #88 of 164

Don't engage the trolls.  What is the point?  Let them hash it out amongst themselves.

Anyways, back to the actual point of the article.  Good for her.  Congrats!

As someone who follows fashion to a certain degree, she has proven her abilities.  Whatever one thinks of Burberry (some love it, some hate it -- very few are in the middle), she's done a very good job managing the brand.  To anyone who is remotely aware of fashion, say "Burberry" and that person knows exactly what you're talking about, what it looks like, how much it costs, etc.

post #89 of 164

The truth is that no one who has been "knighted" by the crown has ever produced anything decent afterwards.  Their great achievements happened before the event.  Sir Elton, Sir Mick, Sir David, Dame Judy, the list goes on and on...  I hope she (and Jony) can buck this trend.

post #90 of 164

OK - well, Sir Richard (maybe let's see how the Virgin Space rides go)

post #91 of 164
Quote:

It was/is a serious question.

I have 74-year-old eyes and stubby fat fingers. I find it difficult to use any smart phone.

My daughter has an iPad Mini and an iPhone 5C -- she takes them both with her most of the time.

I have an iPhone 5S, but only use it if I must. I always have my iPad 4 with me. I definitely would consider an iPhone the size of an iPad Mini -- only have to carry one device.

Not everyone has the same needs or desires -- but mine are as important to me, as yours are to you.

One problem with people who love iOS and want to stick with that but also want a larger display is the data plans on the iPad. On an iPhone you can likely get unlimited calls, unlimited texts and a big chunk of data for less money than just a a few GB's of data only on an iPad. If the iPad mini had not only cellular data but was also  full fledged phone as well complete with the same plans available to the iPhone then I think many people might consider it. That is a bit too big fro me since I still want to be able to carry it in my pants pocket. But people still need to use their iPhone as a phone not to mention calling 911 in an emergency so until that happens I do not see the iPad mini as a reasonable stand alone option as long as voice and texts are not possible. (yes, I know VoiP and 3rd party text programs are available but that is another layer of costs and complexity and still does not allow for 911 calls)

post #92 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I don't think either of them are US citizens.

I'm not sure who you're talking about, but Ahrendts and Melinda Gates are both US citizens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ahrendts will be joined by Melinda Gates, philanthropist and wife of Microsoft founder Bill Gates. The honor will be bestowed upon both women in the coming weeks, according to Vogue.
post #93 of 164
I don't know what all the ranting is about but it took years to make phones small, if you recall they were huge in the 90's early 2000's. Apple has the right idea to keep it small as it's suppose to fit in your pocket without taking up much space, if you want a bigger screen use your ipad for watching movies or reading/web browsing. I believe it was strategically thrown out there for the sake of that unless of course you'd prefer to be glued to a desk using a desktop. But keeping the iPhone small is a must, it's a cell phone it's suppose to be portable not a big bulky thing.
post #94 of 164
Quote:

They sold 50,000,000 Galaxy S2

100,000,000 Galaxy Note 2, S3

100,000,000 Galaxy Note3, S4

it  has been a HUGE success even with a crappy software, OS, and build quality. 

You are obviously making those numbers up. As of December, Samsung had only sold 10 million Note 3's worldwide. I guess you have missed all the articles about Samsung being disappointed with the S4 sales. At the end of October only 40 million S4's have been sold worldwide. It's taken Samsung 6 months to sell that number. 

post #95 of 164
Quote:

She should be CO-CEO or take Tim Cooks job.

She could convince me to buy a jacket for $900.  Sorry but Tim Cook has no mojo.

You just like dames.

post #96 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

The truth is that no one who has been "knighted" by the crown has ever produced anything decent afterwards.  Their great achievements happened before the event.  Sir Elton, Sir Mick, Sir David, Dame Judy, the list goes on and on...  I hope she (and Jony) can buck this trend.

Oh, let's see.  Since Dame Judi Dench received her honor, she has been nominated for 7 Oscars (winning one), nominated for 11 Golden Globes (winning two), nominated for 17 BAFTAs (winning 5), etc.  I could go on, but what's the point?

post #97 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post

Great she is now a Dame

Sad we no longer have an Empire!

Well, there ARE the Sith...

post #98 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Oh, let's see.  Since Dame Judi Dench received her honor, she has been nominated for 7 Oscars (winning one), nominated for 11 Golden Globes (winning two), nominated for 17 BAFTAs (winning 5), etc.  I could go on, but what's the point?

Yes, but she did not do any more Law and Order work -- obviously she is over the hill.

post #99 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

You are obviously making those numbers up. As of December, Samsung had only sold 10 million Note 3's worldwide. I guess you have missed all the articles about Samsung being disappointed with the S4 sales. At the end of October only 40 million S4's have been sold worldwide. It's taken Samsung 6 months to sell that number. 

Samsung expected to sell 100M S4's in 2013

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-said-to-be-expecting-sweeping-demand-for-Galaxy-S-IV-sales-to-reach-100-million-units_id39791

Now I have no idea if they actually did that.  But combined with Note2/3 and older S2/S3 I'm pretty sure they sold close to 90M.

Samsung sold 100M S2/S3 as of 12.31.12

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/13/samsung-galaxy-s-series-over-100-million-served/

so total Galaxy phones are near 200M at least

Samsungs mobile division made about $20 Billion last year.  A bunch of that could have been Apples if they just sold a midrange phone and a bigger screen phone.

post #100 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm not going to engage with someone throwing a temper tantrum. Apple's quarter and even their guidance didn't warrant a $40B sell off IMO. But hey Wall Street is on a downer recently. And just today Yahoo reported results that Wall Street didn't like and their stock is down 7%.

Yahoo was (and still is) WAY overpriced, given that their US business is moribund, and they are basically a holding company for their AliBaba interests (yes, Yahoo Japan is successful, but that is not such a huge business).  As for Apple, the stock has been on a run over the last several months, the guidance was lousy, so the selloff is quite reasonable.

post #101 of 164
Whate
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sog35 is the new TechStud.
whatever happened to TechStud?
post #102 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerica View Post

I don't know what all the ranting is about but it took years to make phones small, if you recall they were huge in the 90's early 2000's. Apple has the right idea to keep it small as it's suppose to fit in your pocket without taking up much space, if you want a bigger screen use your ipad for watching movies or reading/web browsing. I believe it was strategically thrown out there for the sake of that unless of course you'd prefer to be glued to a desk using a desktop. But keeping the iPhone small is a must, it's a cell phone it's suppose to be portable not a big bulky thing.

200,000,000 Galaxy owners disagree.  Most who paid about the same price as an iPhone.

Sorry but the FACTS are the FACTS.

Galaxy has way worse operating system, app store, screen quality, battery life, build quality, ect,ect,ect.......

The only advantage it has is screen size.  If Apple made a bigger screen Galaxy would be just a relevant as the HTC One.

But instead Apple has allowed Samsung to sell 200,000,000 of these phones

post #103 of 164
Quote:

keep your head in the sand then.

Mcdonalds has grown profits 5 of the last 5 quarters.  Apple has been negative 3 or the last 5 and has only grown one of the five because of the buyback.

Maybe make a deal so that you get a 5c with a HappyMeal?

post #104 of 164
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post
whatever happened to TechStud?

He’ll always be with us. In our hearts and in our minds.

And on our forums as three dozen different users.

post #105 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

Yes, but she did not do any more Law and Order work -- obviously she is over the hill.

HAHA!  Good point. :)

post #106 of 164
Quote:

Yahoo was (and still is) WAY overpriced, given that their US business is moribund, and they are basically a holding company for their AliBaba interests (yes, Yahoo Japan is successful, but that is not such a huge business).  As for Apple, the stock has been on a run over the last several months, the guidance was lousy, so the selloff is quite reasonable.

agree.  Look at Apples EPS growth the last 5 quarters:

0%

-18%

-20%

-5%

5%

Thats ridiculously bad.  Especially since in the majority of those quarters (starting in Oct 2012) the phone and tablet market was growing 25-30%.  Yet Apple contracted in profits. 

Cook needs to be fired if he can't reach 10-15% growth in 2014 or he needs to layout a long-term plan thats show how growth will return.  But blaming supply constraints, deferred revenue, currency flux, just does not cut it.  No more excuses.

post #107 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He’ll always be with us. In our hearts and in our minds.

And on our forums as three dozen different users.

Truthiness.

post #108 of 164
Quote:

No it's not reasonable. Apple is basically priced as a no growth stock yet it's being pummeled because earnings growth is essentially flat.
post #109 of 164
Quote:
Sorry but Tim Cook has no mojo.

Wrong.

Plus, if you were right, you could give an argument based on facts, not just an assertion of your opinion.

So, not only are you wrong, you're not even trying. 

post #110 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Excuse me dear Sir, I may have misspoken.  I was referring to Dame Judy Sanderson the wife or the archduke of Chesteton, not the esteemed Judi (spelled with an "i") Dench.  You have a point sir and I concede to your wisdom.  I give you this one.

post #111 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, shut up. “Tim Cook should be fired/supplemented” is “worthy of discussion”? I know you’re not an idiot; you’re better than this nonsense.

I meant Techstud (I thought that was evident from the response I quoted), not Tallest Skil.

Add: Apparently, judging by the responses (and the growing number of them), a lot of people do think it's worthy of discussion?

post #112 of 164
Quote:

Excuse me dear Sir, I may have misspoken.  I was referring to Dame Judy Sanderson the wife or the archduke of Chesteton, not the esteemed Judi (spelled with an "i") Dench.  You have a point sir and I concede to your wisdom.  I give you this one.

Ahh, ok.  Sorry. :)

post #113 of 164
Quote:

Well... I see you retracted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I'm not sure who you're talking about, but Ahrendts and Melinda Gates are both US citizens.

Interesting. I thought Sir/Dame were for Brits only.
post #114 of 164
Quote:

From the article:

"Damehood for a non-British national is said to be approved by the Queen, but is not awarded by a member of the royal family."

post #115 of 164
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
I meant Techstud (I thought that was evident from the response I quoted), not Tallest Skil.

Bah! That’s a lot funnier than it should be. Oh man, I’m sorry. If I had eggs in the house, I’d post a picture of one on my face. :embarrass

Add: Apparently, judging by the responses (and the growing number of them), a lot of people do think it's worthy of discussion?

If only to dismiss it. 

post #116 of 164
Quote:

No it's not reasonable. Apple is basically priced as a no growth stock yet it's being pummeled because earnings growth is essentially flat.

WRONG.  No growth stock would get a PE of 9 or 10.  Which would be $360-$400 based on $40 EPS (flat from 2013)

Because of Tim Cooks lack of vision and action Apple has wasted $50B of its cash hoard on buybacks/dividends and the stock is still down. 

Because of his lack of vision and action shareholders have lost over $200,000,000,000 in market value.

So in total Mr Cook has lost investors $150,000,000,000 after netting out div/buyback. 

I think that should be enough to get anyone FIRED.

post #117 of 164
Quote:

Well... I see you retracted.
You can still get the honor but can't use the title. For example Jony Ive can be called Sir Jony, but Bill Gates can not be called Sir Bill.
post #118 of 164
Quote:

As was pointed out elsewhere, the Apple EPS actually seems to be DECLINING. Anyway, you are obviously a great expert on corporate valuation, so there is no point arguing with you (not any more than arguing with my cat).

post #119 of 164
Quote:

You can still get the honor but can't use the title. For example Jony Ive can be called Sir Jony, but Bill Gates can not be called Sir Bill.

Yes, Bill can only be called "The Great Satan".

post #120 of 164
Quote:

agree.  Look at Apples EPS growth the last 5 quarters:

0%

-18%

-20%

-5%

5%

Thats ridiculously bad.  Especially since in the majority of those quarters (starting in Oct 2012) the phone and tablet market was growing 25-30%.  Yet Apple contracted in profits. 

Cook needs to be fired if he can't reach 10-15% growth in 2014 or he needs to layout a long-term plan thats show how growth will return.  But blaming supply constraints, deferred revenue, currency flux, just does not cut it.  No more excuses.

Let me get this straight.. you want Apple to make a larger screened iPhone, while charging less money.... AND making more profit?  You can't do all three.  Apple's profit margin is lower because of the 'cheaper' devices they've added, which seem to be purchased by enough customers to lower overall profit margin.  If Apple were to release a new 6" iPhone (big enough for you?) at the $350 price you keep throwing around, they'd be LOSING money on every single device, which would in turn kill their profits and their stock price... no doubt sending you into a coma.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Incoming Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts to be named Dame of the British Empire