or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › PayPal wants to partner with Apple on iPhone mobile payment platform - report

PayPal wants to partner with Apple on iPhone mobile payment platform - report - Page 2

post #41 of 128
Originally Posted by reroll View Post

I was going to say something stupid just like this to reach my daily trolling quota but you've beaten me to it :)

Thanks for admitting you think Google stole nothing from Apple. Now we know to listen to nothing you say in the future.

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I don't think so.

But you already know that’s not at all what I mean, so your bringing up the ludicrous is nothing more than a logical fallacy.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #42 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Not sure if you read that correctly. Three examples: MS, Googs,Sammy

The stupidity is in the conclusion.

post #43 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsearcher View Post

I wish Apple could even take it a step further and compete with Square and Paypal directly. By this I mean they could allow users to accept  Apple payments on their websites. Allow us to create buttons, shopping carts, the whole works. What would even be better is if Apple could compete on the price they charge in transaction fees. When Google Checkout first started they offered a price of only 2.2% compared to Paypal charging a fee of 2.9% but then not many months later Google suddenly went to 2.9% just like Paypal. If Apple could offer an alternative payment system and charge lower than 2.9% they would get a lot of people to switch their website stores to them from Paypal or Google since those fees add up very fast. 

This would be fine with me. Does this transaction charge include the credit card companies' charge as well? Probably not. I wish Apple would bypass the credit card companies and act as the bank as well. This might be more difficult for Apple to get approval for but there are already too many middlemen in the purchase operation. I'd rather pay using my iPhone, through iTunes or whatever Apple would use, then direct transfer money from my bank to Apple getting rid of the multiple layers that add more to everyone's product cost.

post #44 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The only problem is, they are incredibly low-valued (low P/E) businesses. Apple's valuation will look even worse....

I'm not suggesting a spin-off, I'm suggesting your iPhone replaces your credit card, you fund it through iTunes or securely connect it to your bank or credit union. I think it would work best on all devices with a thumbprint reader.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #45 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Another thing Apple could offer sellers is what they do for themselves for iTunes services -- reduce transaction fees paid to the CC Processor.

If you pay for small purchase with a credit card, the seller is charged a transaction fee.

When you pay for a small purchase through iTunes, iTunes (the seller) will often hold the transaction for later processing. The theory being that if you are in the iTunes store, and make a small purchase, it is likely that you will make additional small purchases while in the store. By holding these transactions, Apple can aggregate them into a single transaction with the CC Processor.

It's been a while, but let's assume a CC Transaction costs the seller a $0.25 Transaction Fee (In addition to a percent of the transaction amount).

So, you enter the iTunes Store, browse around and buy 5 Songs for $1.00 each.

If Apple submits 5 separate transactions, Apple would be charged 5 x $0.25 or $1.25 total for 5 songs.

By holding and aggregating these into a single transaction, Apple is charged just $0.25 -- a cost of $0.05 per song as opposed to $0.25 per song
Quote:

The only problem is, they are incredibly low-valued (low P/E) businesses. Apple's valuation will look even worse....

Apple could pair up with American Express and probably offer a lower fee based on the average Apple customer profile.
Edited by SpamSandwich - 1/30/14 at 9:46am

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #46 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thanks for admitting you think Google stole nothing from Apple. Now we know to listen to nothing you say in the future.

I already replied this to jungmark: the stupidity is in the conclusion.

And who's "we"? You've made it pretty clear so far that you only listen to people you agree with.

post #47 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsearcher View Post

I wish Apple could even take it a step further and compete with Square and Paypal directly. By this I mean they could allow users to accept  Apple payments on their websites. Allow us to create buttons, shopping carts, the whole works. What would even be better is if Apple could compete on the price they charge in transaction fees. When Google Checkout first started they offered a price of only 2.2% compared to Paypal charging a fee of 2.9% but then not many months later Google suddenly went to 2.9% just like Paypal. If Apple could offer an alternative payment system and charge lower than 2.9% they would get a lot of people to switch their website stores to them from Paypal or Google since those fees add up very fast. 
This would be fine with me. Does this transaction charge include the credit card companies' charge as well? Probably not. I wish Apple would bypass the credit card companies and act as the bank as well. This might be more difficult for Apple to get approval for but there are already too many middlemen in the purchase operation. I'd rather pay using my iPhone, through iTunes or whatever Apple would use, then direct transfer money from my bank to Apple getting rid of the multiple layers that add more to everyone's product cost.

There are more charges/fees to the seller than just those fees you mention:
Quote:
At the time your merchant account is set up, most merchant service providers will require an initial fee. Such one-time fees could be called anything from an application fee to a setup fee to a gateway setup fee, or something else. Regardless of the name given, they are the fee to get started with your merchant account.

Additional one-time fees may come in the form of costs for the software or equipment necessary for processing credit card transactions.

Separately, nearly every merchant service provider will charge some form of monthly fee as an ongoing cost of keeping the merchant account available. This monthly fee may be known as a statement fee, account fee, report fee or by another name.

Some merchant accounts will charge several monthly fees that often run anywhere from $10 to $30 a month. Meanwhile, other merchant service providers will charge a monthly fee as an alternative (or sometimes as well as) the monthly fees.

Meanwhile, when processing each credit card transaction, they are usually two costs. The first of these is a per item fee that usually amounts to between 20 cents and 50 cents.

The second charge is the discount rate, which is a percentage of the transaction amount that depends on the type of credit card and the processing method. The discount rate, also known as an interchange fee, generally amounts to 2 percent to 4 percent and primarily goes to credit card issuer.

When looking to compare fees among various merchant service providers, be aware that the presentation of fees may not be as clear cut as outlined above. Also, different rates may apply depending on the type of card used, which is based on both the card association, such as Visa or MasterCard, and the type of card, such as a reward credit card or debit card.

Furthermore, fees are impacted by whether the transaction is processed by being swiped, keyed in, or another method, as well as if the card passed certain fraud prevention criteria.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-fees-for-merchant-accounts-1275.php

That's just the charges... You also need to pay your accountant to submit the charges, reconcile with the bank's statements... And, if you have a merchant account, you must maintain a minimum balance (Last time I did it, the minimum balance was $25,000 for a small business).

Dare's a whole lotta' chargin' goin' on out dare!
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 1/30/14 at 9:41am
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #48 of 128
Quote:

Fascinating chart! Apple is sitting on so much unrealized value.... ugh.

eBay as a whole only makes around $700m net profit per quarter and about half is from Paypal. Transaction fees are very small. They do have a lot of costs that Apple wouldn't necessarily have though and if Apple could get 4x the volume as well as push more into retail transactions than Paypal does, they could get maybe an extra $1-2b net income per quarter from it.

Another interesting thing about Paypal that they put in their 10K:

"Changes to payment card networks or bank fees, rules, or practices could harm PayPal's business.

PayPal does not directly access payment card networks, such as Visa and MasterCard, which enable PayPal's acceptance of credit cards and debit cards (including some types of prepaid cards). As a result, PayPal must rely on banks or other payment processors to process transactions, and must pay fees for this service. From time to time, payment card networks have increased, and may increase in the future, the interchange fees and assessments that they charge for each transaction using one of their cards."

They won't be doing anything more than Apple is already doing.
post #49 of 128
Originally Posted by reroll View Post

I already replied this to jungmark: the stupidity is in the conclusion.

Yeah, partnering with Microsoft, stolen OS, partnering with Google, stolen OS; how STUPID to conclude that Apple’s intellectual property will be stolen when the partner with another company on a low level item. :no:

post #50 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:

Fascinating chart! Apple is sitting on so much unrealized value.... ugh.

eBay as a whole only makes around $700m net profit per quarter and about half is from Paypal. Transaction fees are very small. They do have a lot of costs that Apple wouldn't necessarily have though and if Apple could get 4x the volume as well as push more into retail transactions than Paypal does, they could get maybe an extra $1-2b net income per quarter from it.

Another interesting thing about Paypal that they put in their 10K:

"Changes to payment card networks or bank fees, rules, or practices could harm PayPal's business.

PayPal does not directly access payment card networks, such as Visa and MasterCard, which enable PayPal's acceptance of credit cards and debit cards (including some types of prepaid cards). As a result, PayPal must rely on banks or other payment processors to process transactions, and must pay fees for this service. From time to time, payment card networks have increased, and may increase in the future, the interchange fees and assessments that they charge for each transaction using one of their cards."

They won't be doing anything more than Apple is already doing.

There is some opportunity out there, though...

Especially if you are sitting on $150 billion in cash earning 2% interest.

Or, they could leverage that cash and finance low-interest loans and still come out ahead...

It certainly could be marketed to sellers -- especially small sellers:
  • no merchant account (minimum balance)
  • reduced transaction fees
  • reduced discount rates
  • reduced accounting charges
  • improved recourse in case of claims (both the customer and seller)
  • more secure transactions.

post #51 of 128
I don't do much shopping anymore...

I just enabled iTunes Store TouchID on my 5S...

Did some transactions using TouchID...

Slickest purchasing experience I've ever had -- bar none!

post #52 of 128

Many small sellers choose to go with Paypal precisely because there are no monthly or yearly merchant fees that dedicated credit card processing services charge. Big volume sellers have a big advantage over small sellers. Here is the chart for Paypal seller fees. They only charge you a monthly fee if you want to process credit cards over the phone.

post #53 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

For several years, Apple allowed members to log in to iTunes with their AOL IDs and Passwords.

On a different topic, look for Google to become the world's most valuable company today or tomorrow. There is currently a $70 billion difference between the companies.  All Wall Street has to do is drop Apple's stock while pushing up Google's stock.  And, with Google's earnings on tap later today, there is a really good chance Google's stock will increase no matter what Google announces.

Google has to pass Exxon as well in order to become the world's most valuable company.  Even with its current 3% up day, GOOG is at $381B.

Exxon is at $413B, AAPL at $452B.

I don't see GOOG reaching AAPL's level today or tomorrow, and I don't see AAPL dropping very much from these punished levels either.

Thompsonm

post #54 of 128
Quote:

There is the card issuer, the underlying bank account, and the payment card processor (retailer->PCP -> Card Issuer -> Holders bank account)

Apple can be all 4 of those... and my reckoning is aiming for at least 3.

$153Billion can spin up a few nice banks someplace where banking laws align well to Apple's clientele.

Or they could buy a couple banks (US, China) and get past the regulatory hurdles of creating one and then become a card issuer.   The next thing then is just creating an Apple Credit (and/or Debit) Card that can be put into your ewallet.  The key thing is getting the interest rates on all those purchases (10-15% is a good ROI for that cash in the bank).

Given Apple's volume via ITMS... I'm sure they are hooked up tightly to a very good payment processor, and are getting really good rates (well less than 3%) per transaction, to the point it's likely a wash for apple to buy/create one of it's own.

So in the end... you get eWallet loaded up with a Apple Card (works everywhere) or just your 'AppleAccount' in ITMS (works with all retailers hooked to Apple's payment system), which can have any credit/debit card attached (avoiding anti-competitive issues), and then have that Apple Card fronted by an Apple Bank, which can provided credit card as well as debit cards , and loan servicing (hey... That Mac Pro... only $100 a month... click here to open up a 36 month loan).

post #55 of 128
Can you see Apple partnering with someone and sharing the profit?
They don't need to partner with a "big name" because Apple are the biggest name.
They don't need to partner with a company for their database of people, Apple already have the biggest database of credit cards.
They don't need to partner for the tech, they have had it for years.

All they need is themselves. If they did that, they could easily undercut everyone and blow paypal out of the water.
post #56 of 128
Wth...I'm pretty sure apple doesn't want to become a bank....
post #57 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Buy paypal and eBay!
... and Google and close it down 1wink.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #58 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Quote:

There is the card issuer, the underlying bank account, and the payment card processor (retailer->PCP -> Card Issuer -> Holders bank account)
Apple can be all 4 of those... and my reckoning is aiming for at least 3.

$153Billion can spin up a few nice banks someplace where banking laws align well to Apple's clientele.

Or they could buy a couple banks (US, China) and get past the regulatory hurdles of creating one and then become a card issuer.   The next thing then is just creating an Apple Credit (and/or Debit) Card that can be put into your ewallet.  The key thing is getting the interest rates on all those purchases (10-15% is a good ROI for that cash in the bank).

Given Apple's volume via ITMS... I'm sure they are hooked up tightly to a very good payment processor, and are getting really good rates (well less than 3%) per transaction, to the point it's likely a wash for apple to buy/create one of it's own.

So in the end... you get eWallet loaded up with a Apple Card (works everywhere) or just your 'AppleAccount' in ITMS (works with all retailers hooked to Apple's payment system), which can have any credit/debit card attached (avoiding anti-competitive issues), and then have that Apple Card fronted by an Apple Bank, which can provided credit card as well as debit cards , and loan servicing (hey... That Mac Pro... only $100 a month... click here to open up a 36 month loan).

Not only that nMac Pro but a nFerrari to haul it around 1biggrin.gif

post #59 of 128
Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

But why wouldn’t they want to be the middleman? Take 1/10th of a cent from every transaction and create a platform that every single company–from a two man job in a small town to Wal-Mart–will use and revolutionize the base act of purchasing a product for the first time since the digital cash register. By eliminating cash registers.

post #60 of 128
Quote:

But why wouldn’t they want to be the middleman? Take 1/10th of a cent from every transaction and create a platform that every single company–from a two man job in a small town to Wal-Mart–will use and revolutionize the base act of purchasing a product for the first time since the digital cash register. By eliminating cash registers.

If they can figure out a way to be the middleman and not be a bank, great... But I work for a bank, and between anti money laundering rules, and know your customer rules, apple would need to have people dedicated to this. They would be one of the biggest banks so I'm talking thousands of individuals... Yeah banks make money, but if one of your employees forgets to put a suspicious activity referral for a guy he wasn't sure about, it's a 10 billion lawsuit....
post #61 of 128
I would sell my iPhone if this happens. I want nothing whatsoever to do with Fleabay.
post #62 of 128
Quote:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-fees-for-merchant-accounts-1275.php

That's just the charges... You also need to pay your accountant to submit the charges, reconcile with the bank's statements... And, if you have a merchant account, you must maintain a minimum balance (Last time I did it, the minimum balance was $25,000 for a small business).

Dick, SFBay East Bay is only one of the high foreclosure areas. Go 50-70 miles east along I-580 and you'll find the worst foreclosure area in California; Stanislaus County.

Back to the subject. TheOtherGeoff had some good additional information as well, like buying a bank and issuing its own credit/debit cards that would work with Apple's mobile payment system. Of course, that means they'd have to worry about late payments and other things but maybe Wall Street would actually like that and be nice to them for once. Of course, the banking establishment wouldn't want to see the Apple Bank undercut their rates so they'd fight to keep them out of their club. Apple wants to charge 30% for a lot of things but wouldn't be able to do that with their bank or payment system. If Apple set up a bank, it wouldn't take my very long to to drop the rest of the credit cards I don't use and get out of Wells Fargo as well. Of course, Apple Bank would have to keep their monthly service costs to an absolute minimum or not charge at all. 

post #63 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I think this would be at least a good option for Apple. It may have to be the only option, but how many people here already have paypal accounts and use them. I know I do. Sure, I don't use it everyday, or even every week but its still a decent service for what it does. 

Apple could still create its own service and let the customer choose what they want to use for payment options. 

Paypal is slime there is no advantage to having Paypal around if would be like having Google in the board room or Samsung in the supply chain.

post #64 of 128
Quote:

Hey. Wasn’t eBay going to sell PayPal, or was that someone’s wish?

Forget partnering. Apple has a history of partners STEALING THEIR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. Either buy PayPal or go it alone.

Any waste billions like Google, whatever Apple is working on has been in progress for years, they don't need them.

post #65 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'm not sure this will be viewed innovative for Apple anyways. They may get the ball rolling with this, but I'm not so sure it will be the largest thing coming from Apple this year. A major hardware announcement with something thats "insanely great" is something Apple will known for as innovative. 

They already partner with PayPal for their app stores anyways, so its not like this will be something new for them. 

It's a piece of the larger puzzle.

post #66 of 128
Quote:

Maybe but that's because people expect them to cute cancer. If it changes the way we pay forever, it's worth being mentioned as highly innovative. Imagine a few years from now, making all your payments with your phone or iwatch...

Apple has never been the first to do anything, they have just been the ones to perfect it

Apple is the first to make something practical and profitable in the real world, anyone (Google, Microsoft, Samsung) can announce moonshot's or Vaporware that don't work.

post #67 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Of the Target victims, how many of them have accounts with Apple that are linked to the hacked CCs?

Thanks for the reminder, went and updated my CC info :)

post #68 of 128
Quote:

No.  But given Apple's history, maybe they could redefine what a bank is.

post #69 of 128
Originally Posted by pastorbran View Post
I would sell my iPhone if this happens. I want nothing whatsoever to do with Fleabay.

Or, you know, just not use the system if it happens to use PayPal.

post #70 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

That and $2.95 will buy you a medium coffee at starbucks.

Market Cap means very little... 

I think if Paypal were to partner... Apple's reach out is that the paypal account becomes a card in the wallet.

But I strongly believe Apple would rather partner directly with big banks and EMVCO and become a card payment processor directly.

Reason:  Apple already has 1/2Billion CCs in their ITMS store...  driving that to a Billion or more by partnerships, and then providing a tokenized payment service (Apple provides one time transaction IDs throughout the process for exactly the amount payable only to the 'seller' and exactly for the timestamp on the purchase).  

I see Apple going it alone.  Again Apple wants to supplant PayPal, and fight the mobile payment battle with the real competition.... Amazon/Kindle.

Amazon competition? In what more Moonshot's, Amazon like Google fiddle at a lost with no profit in hardware, Wall Street however is easily impressed. Apple doesn't need PayPal especially from a security standpoint, there is nothing Apple needs from them.

post #71 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Carl is hedging his bets. Buys into Apple. Buys into Ebay. Begs Ebay to sell Paypal. Paypal comes knocking on Apple's door.

[Hmmmm... now that I look at that again... maybe it's Ebay's way of fighting off Icahn. Get Apple involved.]

If Paypal (a tech backwater) is knocking isn't it to late the Bull is already out of the barn and down the road.

post #72 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danox View Post

If Paypal (a tech backwater) is knocking isn't it to late the Bull is already out of the barn and down the road.

Concerning any deals between Paypal and Apple... that will all depend on what Cook is planning to implement and how well it is implemented.

Concerning the rest of the payment transaction landscape... well, with Ebay pulling Paypal's strings, you're probably right. Paypal on its own might stand a better chance at becoming something more.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #73 of 128

If Apple were going to do this already we wouldn't be getting leaks, by PayPal, to the media mentioning it.

Apple doesn't need PayPal and I'd prefer they stay clear of them.

post #74 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Google has to pass Exxon as well in order to become the world's most valuable company.  Even with its current 3% up day, GOOG is at $381B.

Exxon is at $413B, AAPL at $452B.

I don't see GOOG reaching AAPL's level today or tomorrow, and I don't see AAPL dropping very much from these punished levels either.

Thompsonm

As far as Wall Street is concerned, Google has already passed Apple in market cap.  Apple is seen as a washed up company under Tim Cook's leadership (or lack thereof).  Wall Street's trend is to push Apple into irrelevance now that Steve Jobs is long dead.  There hasn't been one thing that Tim Cook has been able to do to increase ownership or boost shareholder value.  Everything Apple does only pushes the stock down that much further.  Google is practically destined to pass Apple this year with target prices as high as $1500 a share.  Apple's target prices will only get revised down further to below $500.  Apple has become a real stinker of an investment no matter what Tim Cook tries to do.  Don't you see that at all?  In 2012, Apple was being claimed to be the first trillion dollar market cap stock.

Wall Street is now betting on Google to be the first trillion dollar market cap company because Apple messed up so badly in the smartphone market due to Android overwhelming them completely.  Everyone believes Android is the most dominant force in tech and Google can do everything.  Meanwhile Apple is looked upon as a tech company failure merely biding its time to collapse in a heap.  Wall Street hates Tim Cook and Apple because the company can't get anything right.  They won't use their reserve cash and they deliberately throw away market share to everyone and never directly compete with anyone.  A company can't give everything away to rivals and expect to survive.  I'd say it's likely Apple will burn all of its shareholders, go private and keep any excess cash for itself.  For almost a year and a half Apple stock has become completely toxic and Apple's management couldn't care less.  That's not a company any sane person would put money into.

post #75 of 128
No HELL way! Fook PayPal! PayPal fucking my account up! I knew that PayPal sure did fucked people account up (freeze money that they owe people). So NO WAY don't let Apple partner with this shitty PayPal!!!

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

post #76 of 128
Quote:

If they can figure out a way to be the middleman and not be a bank, great... But I work for a bank, and between anti money laundering rules, and know your customer rules, apple would need to have people dedicated to this. They would be one of the biggest banks so I'm talking thousands of individuals... Yeah banks make money, but if one of your employees forgets to put a suspicious activity referral for a guy he wasn't sure about, it's a 10 billion lawsuit....

you don't have to be the bank... but buying the bank to do this for them.  I worked for an e-bank as well, and with FIS on the backend, there wasn't much 'banking' that had to be done.

Actually they would likely be smaller than most banks...  Because they would have 8 or 10 of them... (US, plus wherever their money is harbored).  If they stayed in the space of being a card issuer (unsecured revolving credit), Debit card, and secured small finance (<$10,000 purchases), they'd probably have fairly low liability (no real estate issues, no car loans etc).  just a micro bank.

post #77 of 128
Quote:

yep.  Some would say getting a decent internet and an ipad is a pretty cheap entry fee, and then have Apple charge 3-4% straight across.  With the risk lowered by TouchID into Wallet and BT4  (basically a better version of wireless CHIP&PIN), 3ish% is a decent cost of doing business.

Because Apple would be doing this as a 'break even' business ;-)

post #78 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

As far as Wall Street is concerned, Google has already passed Apple in market cap.  Apple is seen as a washed up company under Tim Cook's leadership (or lack thereof).  Wall Street's trend is to push Apple into irrelevance now that Steve Jobs is long dead.  There hasn't been one thing that Tim Cook has been able to do to increase ownership or boost shareholder value.  Everything Apple does only pushes the stock down that much further.  Google is practically destined to pass Apple this year with target prices as high as $1500 a share.  Apple's target prices will only get revised down further to below $500.  Apple has become a real stinker of an investment no matter what Tim Cook tries to do.  Don't you see that at all?  In 2012, Apple was being claimed to be the first trillion dollar market cap stock.

Wall Street is now betting on Google to be the first trillion dollar market cap company because Apple messed up so badly in the smartphone market due to Android overwhelming them completely.  Everyone believes Android is the most dominant force in tech and Google can do everything.  Meanwhile Apple is looked upon as a tech company failure merely biding its time to collapse in a heap.  Wall Street hates Tim Cook and Apple because the company can't get anything right.  They won't use their reserve cash and they deliberately throw away market share to everyone and never directly compete with anyone.  A company can't give everything away to rivals and expect to survive.  I'd say it's likely Apple will burn all of its shareholders, go private and keep any excess cash for itself.  For almost a year and a half Apple stock has become completely toxic and Apple's management couldn't care less.  That's not a company any sane person would put money into.

How does any of this refute my simple assertion that GOOG is unlikely to become the world's most valuable company today or tomorrow, which is the topic of the post I was responding to?

I think that you are reading something between my lines that I didn't intend, probably because of the passion you possess.  (Not that passion is a bad thing.)

Thompson

post #79 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

[...]

'sane' is relative to the person measuring it.

At some point you have to realize that Apple is the less evil company (not 'not evil' just 'less'), and that's the real discount factor.   Wall Street is evil, Google is evil, therefore they see 'sane' where apple is 'quite mad'

post #80 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

What possibly Apple would gain partnering with MOST hatred service provider in the world?!!!

On the same note, Paypal should shut everything down and get the hell out of Internet once and for all ... NOW it's their best time.
What are you smoking? PayPal is great. I use it almost exclusively over CC payment. Also some people don't have a CC and PayPal allows them to shop online and pay through their bank account. It's awesome. I complain to websites that don't offer PayPal. It's not hated and it's not going anywhere. Why wouldn't apple want to provide a service where customers can pay online directly from their bank account if they don't have a CC? Sounds like good customer service.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • PayPal wants to partner with Apple on iPhone mobile payment platform - report
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › PayPal wants to partner with Apple on iPhone mobile payment platform - report