or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple's next-gen iOS 8 to include 'Healthbook' app for comprehensive health monitoring

Rumor: Apple's next-gen iOS 8 to include 'Healthbook' app for comprehensive health monitoring - Page 4

post #121 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What if my urine is red and comes out in chunks?

Use an iPad

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #122 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Just want to note that I'm finding your well-reasoned and evidence-based posts interesting and instructive. 

Re calories, there was a food science professor at Kansas State who pretty much proved the calories --> weight function beyond a doubt. He lost 27 pounds with good metabolic figures on a calorie-controlled diet consisting of 2/3 junk food (Twinkies, etc.). That's not to say he recommended living on that diet for more than the 2 months he did: he just wanted to make the point crystal clear that the critical variable for weight loss is not what you eat but how much you eat. Link: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/.

Appreciate it Arlor.  I love the idea of being a vegan, and support those that do.  Vegans aren't fat- simply because the foods they eat don't have the calories to get them fat.  Unless you had a vegan who only ate avacados and peanuts :D  Vegetarians can be fat because they can eat cheese- and usually do- on a massively unhealthy level.  Omnivores can be fat because they eat way way too much.  But there are plenty of extremely healthy omnivores because they don't over consume.  Variety is key.  Most humans (incl. vegans) dont process ALA like they should, so they dont get the EPA/DHA blend they need through diet.  No scientific reasoning behind this either- some process ALA well, some don't.  Luck of the draw.  Algae oil isn't even close to as efficiently used in the body as fish oil is for dha/epa.  Thats just one example.

Again, I like vegans, and I commend them- because that works for them.  But when they push their agenda and think its the "only" way- I just ask them this.  Lets pretend we live in a world where everyone in the world can have enough nutrition and calories to sustain a vegan diet.  Are you ok with essentially killing an entire species off (cattle)?  Because there simply won't be any grazing land left due to the need for crops to be grown.

The dairy cows on the farm I get my dairy live on average over 14 years.  And thats without antibiotics!  And they produce enough that they can sell to all the Whole Foods in Texas as well as their boutique and market sales.  That- is the definition of sustainability on a large scale.  We need more of that in the country- and the only way that happens, is through our support.

It conflicts with a vegan's belief- but having a healthy, sustainable ranching and dairy industry is the best thing for the animals themselves.

Edited by Andysol - 2/4/14 at 8:33am

post #123 of 125
How Healthbook could look and feel:

More screens on Behance:
http://bit.ly/1eecQm9

Regards.
post #124 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Really? You think that the 'weakest links in the chain' (an attribute correlated with all types of socio-economic characteristics) are the most likely buyers of driverless cars?

That's a new one to me.

How much will one of these cost, btw? And is there any infrastructure, regulation that taxpayers and politicians have to get behind, enable, and fund?

Those with jobs that will soon be at risk will have little choice but to buy or retrofit vehicles with automatic guidance systems on board because the insurance companies will demand it. How will they demand it? Because the rates of unmodified vehicles will skyrocket.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #125 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Those with jobs that will soon be at risk will have little choice but to buy or retrofit vehicles with automatic guidance systems on board because the insurance companies will demand it. How will they demand it? Because the rates of unmodified vehicles will skyrocket.

Yeah, but the net present cost of higher insurance premiums is going to be lower than the immediate cost of automatic guidance for a long time to come (especially for the majority of car buyers who buy used). 

eta: Though personally I want automatic guidance asap.

Edited by Arlor - 3/17/14 at 9:50pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple's next-gen iOS 8 to include 'Healthbook' app for comprehensive health monitoring