or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple files new San Francisco store renderings featuring massive two-story sliding glass doors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple files new San Francisco store renderings featuring massive two-story sliding glass doors

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
Apple recently filed a set of revised plans for its forthcoming Union Square Apple Store ahead of a permit hearing scheduled for Feb. 5, with the latest documents revealing a redesigned front facade and exhaustive construction summary.



A packet of documents prepared by Foster + Partners and Page & Turnbull reveal the scope of Apple's latest plans for the Union Square location, including the usual bead-blasted steel, structural glass and column-free interior. The new flagship Apple Store will bring a new element to Apple's design arsenal: full-height, two-story sliding glass doors. When closed, each 44-foot steel-framed piece forms one of six panels, which creates a four-panel arrangement when open.

From the filing:

Full‐height, powder‐coated steel framing members will separate the large butt‐glazed glass panels into six bays at the Post Street (front) façade. The center bays of the facade will be operable so they will slide open to create a full‐height opening at the center of the facade.


The renderings, images of which were first published by SocketSite, are part of a larger case report filed with the San Francisco Planning Department and will be used during a hearing with the city's Historic Preservation Commission on Wednesday, AppleInsider has learned. From lighting and glass types to tree species, Apple's plans are laid out in the 258-page packet.

Aside from the gigantic glass doors, not much has changed from the previous plans unveiled in December. The cantilevered steel-and-glass sturcture is an open two-story design with a front facade completely open to Post st., while a rear plaza will feature a waterfall for an "urban oasis" feel.

Apple Store


The site has gone through a number of iterations since being announced in early 2013, including concessions for a "folk art" fountain sculpture that is to be moved ten feet and incorporated into the new rear plaza.

Apple's original plans for the Union Square outlet sparked a small controversy over the apparent removal of a fountain designed by local artist Ruth Asawa. The sculpture, which tells the history of San Francisco in 41 plaques made of baker's dough then cast in bronze, dates back to 1973.

A full copy of the report is embedded below.

post #2 of 39

And a free-air holographic sign projected from the roof that says, “We’re sorry about the hideous fountain.”

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #3 of 39
How many BO sensors?
post #4 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

How many BO sensors?

 

None, just free passes to the world's ugliest jacuzzi located in the plaza out the back.

 

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #5 of 39

Not sure "massive" is the word I'd use to describe the doors.  I work at some airplane hangars (private planes) sliding doors that big (if not bigger) is the norm.  

Seeing it for a retail store is interesting though.  I wonder if insurance companies will shudder at the thought of a car thief driving a car though those massive doors.

post #6 of 39
So there are ceiling to floor doors that open on the first and second floor to a drop to street level? That's a terrible idea, inviting accidents! Surely I've misunderstood?

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #7 of 39

Another amazing piece of architecture. Seems to be pushing engineering to its limits, with giant glass doors and creating a second level that hovers over the first. If you skip to page 233 you can go straight to the renderings. They also included some other stores at the end. I'm guessing the point is to emphasize that Apple is not content to just mimic its past designs, but does "the right thing" for a given setting. In this case, looking over Union Square, thus making a wide open building that welcomes visitors by blurring the distinction between indoor and out. Whereas on other buildings Apple merely renovates and preserves, content to have little more than a cutout of their logo to let us know what is inside (Covent Garden).


Edited by PatchyThePirate - 2/2/14 at 2:06am

   

Reply

   

Reply
post #8 of 39

That sure is gross to look at.

post #9 of 39
How will they do when it rains? The first few meters in the store will be soaked if they don't close the doors.
post #10 of 39
I guess certain things are possible in the climate of San Francisco that are not possible in colder climes. I wonder if shoplifters will find clever ways to leverage that open second floor.
post #11 of 39
There better not be anywhere for birds to perch inside. Otherwise I'm picturing a lot of Mac and iThings with bird crap on them.
post #12 of 39
That's an example of mental masturbation.
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

So there are ceiling to floor doors that open on the first and second floor to a drop to street level? That's a terrible idea, inviting accidents! Surely I've misunderstood?

 

Yes you did, mate. If you zoom in a bit and look at the area with the staircase, you'll see that the second floor is set well back from the from the front doors and there is a railing around the edge.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

How will they do when it rains? The first few meters in the store will be soaked if they don't close the doors.

 

Haven't you heard, mon ami? It doesn't rain in California…and I don't mean the song. There is a serious drought out west. No rain for the entire month of January. Been like that for months. If it does rain, I imagine people will be dancing in the street…and I don't mean the movie. ;) 

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

Reply

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

Reply
post #14 of 39
One dude with a leaf blower can ruin their whole day
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

How will they do when it rains? The first few meters in the store will be soaked if they don't close the doors.

I checked out the original article and there are "regular sized all-glass doors in the non-sliding bays which would act as the primary access points for the store when the full-height doors are closed. There are two sets of doors from the redesigned plaza behind the store as well." The large sliding doors open up the center portion of the store. On a nice day in SF (happens all the time), this could provide some nice ventilation to get rid of all the body odor smell from the horde of buyers (different article). 

post #16 of 39
While these glass fronted stores are very cool, I wonder when Apple will try to look at ways to keep these idiot thieves from running their car into the store, ruining it and making off with store displays. Something like this, not only would it ruin the store front, but would also be very expensive to fix. What the fix would be, I'm not sure. There are very bright people at Apple and its design consultants to figure this stuff out.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #17 of 39
Let's hope these doors don't fall on someone. This would have probably killed the guy who had his pelvis broken when an 800 pound Apple glass door fall on him!

http://macdailynews.com/2013/12/26/800-pound-apple-retail-store-door-falls-on-customer-breaking-his-pelvis-in-maryland/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #18 of 39
I may not be able to see it using my phone, but where is the prominent Apple logo in front?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #19 of 39
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
I may not be able to see it using my phone, but where is the prominent Apple logo in front?

 

Gone, now that the stupid door idea is in place.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #20 of 39

I bet no snow blowers will be allowed near those doors!  Maybe the new doors will be bullet proof, I bet Apple is working on that!  

post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post
 

I bet no snow blowers will be allowed near those doors!  Maybe the new doors will be bullet proof, I bet Apple is working on that!  

You do realize this is in San Francisco don't you. Last snow that actually stuck was back in 1976 (http://ggweather.com/sf/snow.html).

post #22 of 39
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post
Last snow that actually stuck was back in 1976

 

Exactly. Apple has been working on snow-proof glass since the creation of their company.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #23 of 39

Ah yes, I see the doors one the sides in the first picture?

post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post
 

Not sure "massive" is the word I'd use to describe the doors.  I work at some airplane hangars (private planes) sliding doors that big (if not bigger) is the norm.  

Seeing it for a retail store is interesting though.  I wonder if insurance companies will shudder at the thought of a car thief driving a car though those massive doors.

 

I think I see beams in front of the store, probably for that specific purpose.

post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by foad View Post
 

 

I think I see beams in front of the store, probably for that specific purpose.


Those beams look like the door frame itself, which would move with the glass.  

I think people making a final decision based on the posted artwork are simply jumping to conclusions.  It's just an artist representation, and if they do decide to go this route, it will look somewhat different once the engineering challenges (and realities) are taken into account.

I live in San Francisco and I think it is a great location for their store.  Union Square has a huge amount of foot traffic.  The only thing I'm going to miss about the current location is it's proximity to BART and being closer to cheaper parking.  Last thing I would want to do is carry bright-white expensive iMac box or Macbook through the streets that screams "mug me".

post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post
 


Those beams look like the door frame itself, which would move with the glass.  

I think people making a final decision based on the posted artwork are simply jumping to conclusions.  It's just an artist representation, and if they do decide to go this route, it will look somewhat different once the engineering challenges (and realities) are taken into account.

I live in San Francisco and I think it is a great location for their store.  Union Square has a huge amount of foot traffic.  The only thing I'm going to miss about the current location is it's proximity to BART and being closer to cheaper parking.  Last thing I would want to do is carry bright-white expensive iMac box or Macbook through the streets that screams "mug me".

 

I actually saw it wrong. I was looking at the parking meters wrong. Goes to show you...sleep is important.

 

I agree with you though...great location.

post #27 of 39
One thing these huge open doors will achieve for sure: challenge the mental dependance from A/C, so common in USA, and go back to a more sustainable "natural" temperature and aeriation. If you enjoy SF climate, well, that's what you'll find inside the new Apple Store!
post #28 of 39

Without the Apple logo, the store could be mistaken for anything. 

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #29 of 39
I see these images are stamped with the appleinsider logo - are you guys producing CGI's now? Or maybe you've just added your name to someone else's copyrighted image ;-)
post #30 of 39

In the renderings they show several things not evident on the article's photos - there is a railing on the 2nd floor - likely covered by code and no more dangerous than a bridge.  

 

As for weather - there are two traditional double doors on the far left and right of the front.  

 

Birds - yes, that's a concern.  

post #31 of 39

"full-height, two-story sliding glass doors."

 

And I shall call them "The Amputators."

post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellino View Post
 

Birds - yes, that's a concern.  

If the walls don't provide any kind of perches then birds will soon find their way out.  There might be a problem with birds knocking themselves out, or dying from flying into the glass at speed trying to get out, but presumably no worse than birds flying into the glass on the outside.

 

Side thought: I wonder how many bird deaths Apple's predilection for glass fronted stores has caused?

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mliv View Post

I see these images are stamped with the appleinsider logo - are you guys producing CGI's now? Or maybe you've just added your name to someone else's copyrighted image ;-)

Just toss it on the pile of unethical practices here.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

If the walls don't provide any kind of perches then birds will soon find their way out.  There might be a problem with birds knocking themselves out, or dying from flying into the glass at speed trying to get out, but presumably no worse than birds flying into the glass on the outside.

Side thought: I wonder how many bird deaths Apple's predilection for glass fronted stores has caused?

I've seen this a number of times also. Poor birds.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


I've seen this a number of times also. Poor birds.

Walking along below any big glass sheathed skyscraper very early in the morning before the cleaning crew comes out with the shovels is a continuing horror show.

post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Walking along below any big glass sheathed skyscraper very early in the morning before the cleaning crew comes out with the shovels is a continuing horror show.

I'd sure like to see a workable, clever solution that would protect the birds and maintain the usability of the large, open glass layouts.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


I'd sure like to see a workable, clever solution that would protect the birds and maintain the usability of the large, open glass layouts.

I agree, cities take a tragic toll of songbirds while they migrate at night from what I've read. But IIRC it's not the "open", it's the reflectivity so they can't tell it's a solid wall they're flying at: at night it looks like sky from the reflections...

 

Maybe a sound barrier of some sort?

post #38 of 39

One tricky issue for Apple could be in the future the "decommissioning" of an Apple Store.

 

I mean that, for various reasons (e.g. opportunity to move to a larger place) Apple may return an Apple Store to another brand. (I am not aware this already happened). Given the numerous distinct features giving the place the "Apple Touch" (stairs, for example), Apple may not wish to abandon the place in its present characteristics (e.g. if the place is supposed to become a Samsung Store).....

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

Reply

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

Reply
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

I agree, cities take a tragic toll of songbirds while they migrate at night from what I've read. But IIRC it's not the "open", it's the reflectivity so they can't tell it's a solid wall they're flying at: at night it looks like sky from the reflections...

Maybe a sound barrier of some sort?

I have seen some buildings with fake owls and other large predatory birds designed to scare off birds, but the birds eventually learn these things are fake and ignore them.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple files new San Francisco store renderings featuring massive two-story sliding glass doors