or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › NYT: Apple looking into solar, wireless inductive charging for 'iWatch'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NYT: Apple looking into solar, wireless inductive charging for 'iWatch'

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
A New York Times report published on Sunday claims inside knowledge of Apple's plans for the so-called "iWatch," saying the wearable device will incorporate inductive wireless charging, a curved display and possibly solar panels.

Wearable Device


Citing people familiar with Apple's rumored iWatch project, The New York Times reports the company is investigating multiple methods of improving user experience by increasing battery life and ease of charging. Some of the methods described include integrated solar panels and inductive charging, technologies Apple has yet to include in a consumer product.

Power management has become a major hurdle for manufacturers looking to satisfy consumer expectations of generational device overhauls. Many expect new products to have improved performance in smaller form factors while at the same time maintaining, or improving upon, battery life. Unfortunately, battery technology traditionally lags behind performance advancements, prompting companies like Apple to rely on clever hardware and software design to save power.

The publication cites Nest cofounder and "father of the iPod" Tony Fadell as saying Apple tried for years to put a "smarter" battery in the iPhone and iPod product lineups, including solar power technology, but an adequate solution was never found. He notes that a majority of users keep phones and other portables in their pocket or bag, making a light-based charging system somewhat impractical.

While the unnamed source claims one option would be the inclusion of solar cells disposed in a layer of the iWatch display, as seen in a 2013 Apple patent, existing solar technology is not efficient enough to charge a device with the features many expect to come built into the iWatch.

Perhaps the most believable of the source's claims is a magnetic induction charging method, a technology for which Apple has a number of patents. The technology allows a device equipped with special equipment to charge wirelessly when in range of a near-field magnetic resonance (NFMR) transmitter.

Low-power devices like electric toothbrushes have successfully used the technique to trickle charge on-board batteries, while recent advancements have upped power output to levels adequate for charging smartphones. For example, Nokia's Lumia 920 smartphone comes with the tech built-in.

AppleInsider was first to discover what are now being referred to as "iWatch" patents, including a property for a wearable wristwatch design with flexible display and kinetic charging systems.

Wearable Device Display
Illustration of wearable device with display (402), kinetic energy gathering device (502),
wireless antennas (506), connector, (508) and battery (504).


Apple holds a number of exotic power management patents, including a version of the "shake to charge" method readily used in quartz wristwatch designs. While efficient, it remains unclear if the iWatch will sport a chassis large enough to carry a generator and storage system capable of impacting battery performance.

At this point, everything "known" about the iWatch is rumor and speculation as no hard evidence pertaining to the purported device has surfaced. Apple could very well be experimenting with a number of different designs, including solar-powered iterations, but there is no guarantee that such tech will make its way into a final production model.
post #2 of 41
"Citing people familiar with the matter..."

If only that worked in court.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #3 of 41
How long before Samsung sends out a press release saying they're doing the same thing.
post #4 of 41
Originally Posted by robotstorm View Post
How long before Samsung sends out a press release saying they're doing the same thing.

 

They’re already busy setting back the date and time on all of their servers so that the future e-mails they send out about their knockoff product are backdated. That way they can claim “We were working on it BEFORE Apple!” in the inevitable lawsuit.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #5 of 41
So the speculation over possible iWatch features has reached fever pitch.

Hopefully, with convincing-sounding arguments for improbable uses of technology that almost exists at a level to be successful in the marketplace, "analysts" may be able to make a profit off the inevitable stock tank when the final product "under-delivers".

It happened with the iPhone (what, no hardware keyboard!?!) and the iPad (what, just a big iPod touch!?!) and the Apple TV (what, no hardware display!?!), and it'll happen again.

At first.

Then the software will kick in.
And we'll all be floored again.

Maybe Pebble will be bought by HP? Google? Let's hope not, for their sake.
post #6 of 41

Still can't get my head around this iWatch idea.

 

To get people to start wearing watches again it would have to be cheap... and very functional with a lot of practical applications.

 

Not saying Apple couldn't do it but I keep thinking about how uncomfortable it would be to have something on my wrist being anything other than a watch.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #7 of 41

The iWatch will also include a microwave oven.

post #8 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Still can't get my head around this iWatch idea.

To get people to start wearing watches again it would have to be cheap... and very functional with a lot of practical applications.

Not saying Apple couldn't do it but I keep thinking about how uncomfortable it would be to have something on my wrist being anything other than a watch.

People stopped wearing watches because they already had a thing that told them the time -- their phone. This will do much much more than tell the time. The "watch" name is a red herring. This is an entirely new thing and comparing it to a watch is like saying in 2007 "I don't know why Apple is releasing this new thing, people stopped carry pocket watches years ago"
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post


People stopped wearing watches because they already had a thing that told them the time -- their phone. This will do much much more than tell the time. The "watch" name is a red herring. This is an entirely new thing and comparing it to a watch is like saying in 2007 "I don't know why Apple is releasing this new thing, people stopped carry pocket watches years ago"

Exactly right! It might feature a watch-face for time-tellling and it may act as a reminder/scheduler but it will be the connected collection of functions that people will wear it for. Health monitor, work-out kinetics monitor, credit card, TV remote, Mac remote, lighting/air-con remote, ...  

post #10 of 41

If they are serious about it being an exercise device, then the only way to charge it should be by moving your arms.

post #11 of 41
The more the New York Times writes about Apple's possible iWatch, the more I feel dread about what it's other reporters are preparing to write about after the supposed iWatch is released. There will be article after article after article about working conditions in Apple supplier plants in China. Nothing or very close to nothing will be written about Apple's competitors having the same or worse working conditions.
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

The more the New York Times writes about Apple's possible iWatch, the more I feel dread about what it's other reporters are preparing to write about after the supposed iWatch is released. There will be article after article after article about working conditions in Apple supplier plants in China. Nothing or very close to nothing will be written about Apple's competitors having the same or worse working conditions.

IMO, the NY Times' reputation is already tainted with their terribly biased stories. Not really a news organization as much as a clickbait generator.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzos View Post
 

 it may act as a reminder/scheduler but it will be the connected collection of functions that people will wear it for. Health monitor, work-out kinetics monitor, credit card, TV remote, Mac remote, lighting/air-con remote, ...  

 

It will do everything except tell the time
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #14 of 41
So basically this isn't a NYT report on Apple's rumored "iWatch" but a genetic story on battery technology sprinkled in with unnamed sources claiming they know what Apple's future plans are.
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Maybe Pebble will be bought by HP? Google? Let's hope not, for their sake.

 

You do realize that a company being bought by another company is the their decision right? They can't just be bought without their approval.

post #16 of 41

My presumption all along with iWatch was inductive charging. I still say, though, my ideal iWatch would mainly be a music playing iPod-killer, with sensing and notifications as the icing on the cake. That'd be a real reason me me to own one, because it'd be great not needing an iPhone or an iPod while going jogging or being active, simply instead using your watch and a new kind of wireless EarPods that inductively+magnetically charge to some kind of dock along with your iWatch. It'd be a more effective, more efficient type of music player I think. No wires dangling, nothing clipped on your garments swinging around, with no requirement to go into your pocket to change songs and look at what you're about to select.


Edited by Ireland - 2/3/14 at 5:10am
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #17 of 41
I still don't get why people claim nobody wears a watch anymore. There are plenty of people who do. The whole argument about using your phone to check the time of day and doing away with a wristwatch seems crazy to me. How convenient is it to take your phone out of jeans pockets? I for one do wear a watch, it's more convenient and as a motorcycle rider lets me glance quickly to see what time it is; and also as a fashion accessory. If Apple do bring out some sort of 'watch' I'll be wearing one and a regular timepiece. Agree with the comments though that indeed it does need to do much more than telling the time and alerting the wearer to calls and messages. How about a solar + kinetic + battery watch with inductive charging, Bluetooth LE, one week battery life, health and fitness capabilities built in and Siri. Would be great to be able to add a contact to the iPhone by simply talking to the watch, as an example.
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

My presumption all along with iWatch was inductive charging. I still say, though, my ideal iWatch would mainly be a music playing iPod-killer, with sensing and notifications as the icing on the cake. That'd be a real reason me me to own one, because it'd be great not needing an iPhone or an iPod while going jogging or being active, simply instead using your watch and a new kind of wireless EarPods that inductively+magnetically charge to some kind of dock along with your iWatch. It'd be a more effective, more efficient type of music player I think. No wires dangling, nothing clipped on your garments swinging around, with no requirement to go into your pocket to change songs and look at what you're about to select.

Nah cause they could just release those same headphones to work with your phone. You'd need a reason to buy the watch... The healthbook app seems the most likely to me so far, especially if the watch can read certain vitals
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

My presumption all along with iWatch was inductive charging. I still say, though, my ideal iWatch would mainly be a music playing iPod-killer, with sensing and notifications as the icing on the cake. That'd be a real reason me me to own one, because it'd be great not needing an iPhone or an iPod while going jogging or being active, simply instead using your watch and a new kind of wireless EarPods that inductively+magnetically charge to some kind of dock along with your iWatch. It'd be a more effective, more efficient type of music player I think. No wires dangling, nothing clipped on your garments swinging around, with no requirement to go into your pocket to change songs and look at what you're about to select.

Interesting. What will hold the earbuds in place? If they slip and fall out, they're gone, no?
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

Nah cause they could just release those same headphones to work with your phone. You'd need a reason to buy the watch. The healthbook app seems the most likely to me so far, especially if the watch can read certain vitals

 

That's true, but the headphones could come only with the watch purchase bundled with the product. And, yes, they could then work with your phone, but if you bought the watch you'd probably want to wear it. Also, you don't think a music playing watch isn't a viable reason to buy the watch? I certainly do. I know lots of people who don't like their phone with them while jogging or exercising, and they all wear iPods. But currently even the smallest iPod needs to be clipped to your clothing it a headphone wires getting in the way often. This setup would make more sense for active people. Most people buying music playing iPods now are buying them solely for their exercise routine. All of the sensors will be too also necessary for it to be a great fitness product. The music is part of that experience. This would truly separate the iWatch product from the Pebbles and the Gears of this world.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Interesting. What will hold the earbuds in place? If they slip and fall out, they're gone, no?

 

That's what Apple would need to figure out. And an elegant way of doing it too.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post


People stopped wearing watches because they already had a thing that told them the time -- their phone. This will do much much more than tell the time. The "watch" name is a red herring. This is an entirely new thing and comparing it to a watch is like saying in 2007 "I don't know why Apple is releasing this new thing, people stopped carry pocket watches years ago"

 

OK... do this for me... wrap something around your wrist... now pretend you are sending a text... pretend you are searching on a website... pretend to do a lot of the things you do on your phone. After a minute or two you'll fully understand what I am saying. Can you do i?t... sure. Is it awkward?... you bet. About as awkward as that pocket watch on a chain compared to a wristwatch.

 

Not everyone uses a phone with one hand. I'd go so far as to say that only about half the population uses just one hand. For the two handed users it will be even more awkward... and if you are leaving even 20% of the population out in the cold then you will never even achieve the same amount of sales as the smartphone.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

OK... do this for me... wrap something around your wrist... now pretend you are sending a text... pretend you are searching on a website... pretend to do a lot of the things you do on your phone. After a minute or two you'll fully understand what I am saying. Can you do i?t... sure. Is it awkward?... you bet. About as awkward as that pocket watch on a chain compared to a wristwatch.

 

Not everyone uses a phone with one hand. I'd go so far as to say that only about half the population uses just one hand. For the two handed users it will be even more awkward... and if you are leaving even 20% of the population out in the cold then you will never even achieve the same amount of sales as the smartphone.

 

If this iWatch has a web browser I will be very, very surprised. Don't expect that kind of interaction.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
 

 

If this iWatch has a web browser I will be very, very surprised. Don't expect that kind of interaction.

 

I'd have to agree with you on this. I'm thinking that this new iDevice is the cheap phone that a few people are always clamoring about... except that it's not a phone... well, it is, but it isn't... but it will be a cheap device that will be accessible to almost everyone because of its price.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

I'd have to agree with you on this. I'm thinking that this new iDevice is the cheap phone that a few people are always clamoring about... except that it's not a phone... well, it is, but it isn't... but it will be a cheap device that will be accessible to almost everyone because of its price.

They kinda have this with the shuffle. Well except the phone part, and I doubt that talking into a watch is going to appeal to most.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
 

They kinda have this with the shuffle. Well except the phone part, and I doubt that talking into a watch is going to appeal to most.

 

Everyone in the crowd becomes a Secret Service agent.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

Everyone in the crowd becomes a Secret Service agent.

Yes, and that brings up another point. Prior art. Agent Smart had this years ago. 

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
 

Yes, and that brings up another point. Prior art. Agent Smart had this years ago. 

 

... and Dick Tracy before him.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly View Post

I still don't get why people claim nobody wears a watch anymore. There are plenty of people who do.

Exactly. People who are saying no one wears watches likely have the fashion sense of a four year old. That's like saying necklaces are useless. Duh! Is a timex any less functional than a Rolex, movado, or tag?

You look at Hollywood and what is trendy- and people wear watches. You watch politicians who have a staff of people that dress them- they wear watches. CEOs? Sports owners? Moguls? Watches. Y'all keep wearing your jorts with your socks and sandals.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post
 

If they are serious about it being an exercise device, then the only way to charge it should be by moving your arms.


Or by harvesting body heat - we radiate a fair amount of thermal energy from our metabolism.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly View Post

I still don't get why people claim nobody wears a watch anymore. There are plenty of people who do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol
 
Exactly. People who are saying no one wears watches likely have the fashion sense of a four year old. That's like saying necklaces are useless. Duh! Is a timex any less functional than a Rolex, movado, or tag?

You look at Hollywood and what is trendy- and people wear watches. You watch politicians who have a staff of people that dress them- they wear watches. CEOs? Sports owners? Moguls? Watches. Y'all keep wearing your jorts with your socks and sandals.

The percentage of people wearing watches has declined significantly over the last 10 years. That's just a fact. I know I'm happy to be liberated from mine since I have a device that does that and so much more near me all the time. 

http://today.yougov.com/news/2011/05/05/brother-do-you-have-time/

So it would take a bunch of tangible, added benefits to get something back on my wrist.  Maybe the health monitor aspects might be one reason...  ...but Apple's primary demo isn't old farts with HBP and other conditions they're the most prone to, so the marketing and feature set would be tricky, especially given that inexpensive fitness monitors are already plentiful and the phone itself can do some of this already.


Edited by bigpics - 2/3/14 at 11:16am

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Exactly. People who are saying no one wears watches likely have the fashion sense of a four year old. That's like saying necklaces are useless. Duh! Is a timex any less functional than a Rolex, movado, or tag?

You look at Hollywood and what is trendy- and people wear watches. You watch politicians who have a staff of people that dress them- they wear watches. CEOs? Sports owners? Moguls? Watches. Y'all keep wearing your jorts with your socks and sandals.

Although iPhone owners like to pretend that only the very rich buy iPhones. It's the middle classes and up. There isn't a huge revenue in the CEO and Gangster market, unless you sell them 100k watches made of gold n shit.

CEO Steve jobs, who didn't wear a watch, opposed the idea that watches are a market. Normal watches anyway. Maybe Apple will reinvent the market.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
 

Yes, and that brings up another point. Prior art. Agent Smart had this years ago. 

 

By George I think that's it - the next place the competition isn't: 

 

Apple's bringing back the shoe phone... ...and it will be recharged by the compression of the heel as we walk....

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


Although iPhone owners like to pretend that only the very rich buy iPhones. It's the middle classes and up. There isn't a huge revenue in the CEO and Gangster market, unless you sell them 100k watches made of gold n shit.

CEO Steve jobs, who didn't wear a watch, opposed the idea that watches are a market. Normal watches anyway. Maybe Apple will reinvent the market.

 

If indeed there is some form of phone component to this watch then there will be a $10K app that you can buy for CEOs and gangstas. The CEO app will cause the watch to vibrate and various CEO and celebrity names will appear on the watch for everyone to see. The phone will automatically answer these calls, answering the fake caller by name,  saying 1. You are in a meeting and will get back to you soon, 2. Will meet you at the club as planned, 3. Meet you on the greens etc.  The gangsta app will vibrate and show encoded names and numbers on the face and will automatically answer with encoded messages.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post
 

 

By George I think that's it - the next place the competition isn't: 

 

Apple's bringing back the shoe phone... ...and it will be recharged by the compression of the heel as we walk....

 

Just bring back Agent 99.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #35 of 41

Not up to integrating technology under the skin so...

If it is the wrist then:

voice activated/ solor or other charging devise/ signal tranmitter & receiver.

voice will activate "hologram" of your iPhone or iPad, etc.

from that "hologram" visual you can make a

phone call/play music or even view & maybe update your notes/calendar/view a movie/play a game.

With a "hologram" type devise you don't need to wear a tank size watch like the old Casios but the visual will be a size that couldn't be worn on wrist.

 

just some thoughts


Edited by PTE APPLE - 2/3/14 at 12:48pm
post #36 of 41
I wonder when batteries will be truly revolutionised. I would love to have an iPhone that I knew wouldn't run out in a day, regardless of what I did with it-like playing the most demanding game for sixteen hours with tons of stuff going on in the background.

For all the technological advances that have been made this century, batteries still seem like a throwback to decades ago-a bit like tv.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I wonder when batteries will be truly revolutionised. I would love to have an iPhone that I knew wouldn't run out in a day, regardless of what I did with it-like playing the most demanding game for sixteen hours with tons of stuff going on in the background.

For all the technological advances that have been made this century, batteries still seem like a throwback to decades ago-a bit like tv.

 

We're all waiting for the cold fusion phone.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

We're all waiting for the cold fusion phone.

Care to expand?
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


Care to expand?

 

Hell no... the last time I did that was when I ate beans and cabbage at the company picnic... and my Wife was ready to divorce me by morning.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hell no... the last time I did that was when I ate beans and cabbage at the company picnic... and my Wife was ready to divorce me by morning.

1smile.gif
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › NYT: Apple looking into solar, wireless inductive charging for 'iWatch'