or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple skips pricey Super Bowl ad, pays homage to 30 years of Mac via online movie shot using iPhones [u]

Apple skips pricey Super Bowl ad, pays homage to 30 years of Mac via online movie shot using...

post #1 of 92
Despite rumors to the contrary, Apple on Sunday chose not to plunk down millions in order to commemorate the 30th Anniversary of the Mac during this year's Super Bowl, and instead released a short movie online that it composed entirely with its own consumer products.

Update: Apple has posted a "behind the scenes" video highlighting the effort taken to coordinate a full day's worth of filmmaking in 15 locations across five continents. The video is embedded at the bottom of this page.

Apple Mac 30th Anniversary

The 90-second clip, which is now live on the company's website and shareable via YouTube, was composed in secret on the January 24th, the actual day the Mac turned 30. Representatives from Apple used only iPhones to film scenes in 10 different countries spread over 5 continents during a 36 hour period, and then cut and edited the clips exclusively on Macs.

"Thirty years ago Macintosh promised to put technology in the hands of the people," the movie begins. "To celebrate Mac's birthday, this film was shot around the world in one day, entirely on iPhone. Here's to the next thirty."

In the scenes that follow over the next 85 seconds, Apple shows how that promise has been upheld and extended to empower parents, students, and professionals across a variety of industries from education, robotics and archeology, to fashion and the arts.

Its debut exclusively through online outlets also underscores the dramatic shift in the Cupertino-based company's marketing approach over the past 30 years since it first introduced the Mac to the world via the then controversial -- but now legendary -- "1984" Super Bowl ad.

In the week leading up to Sunday's big game, there was slight chatter around the possibility of Apple marking a return to the Super Bowl after Lee Clow, the chairman of Apple's longtime ad agency TBWA\Worldwide, issued a cryptic tweet that appeared to hint in that direction.

As it turns out, Clow was among the first phone calls at the beginning of the project, according to Apple's detailed account of the movie's production. It was directed by Jake Scott, son of the legendary director Ridley Scott who took the reigns behind Apple's original "1984" spot, and edited by Angus Wall.

Because so much footage had to be edited so quickly, Wall employed a team of 21 editors to piece the story together with the direction of Scott, who transformed a sound stage in Los Angeles into a command center.

"He equipped it with an arsenal of Apple products including iMac, Mac Pro, and iPad, along with large projection displays positioned around the room," Apple said. "From there he was able to watch every scene as it was shot, and direct all the action remotely via FaceTime."

Apple said that many involved in the production of the movie believe this innovative approach to a multilocation shoot will inevitably be adopted by other filmmakers going forward.

Behind the scenes:

post #2 of 92
Looks like you embedded the wrong movie :-)
The one you embedded, with Mac celebrities, was already on apple.com.

Here's the YouTube URL for the "1.24.14" movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJahlKPCL9g
post #3 of 92
And, if Steve were alive, he would have jumped at a chance to rekindle that 1984 magic (even at the steep price of a Super Bowl Ad). Just goes to show you, this new Apple isn't going in the direction that Steve would have envisioned.
post #4 of 92
I expected more Mac in the video and less iPhones and iPads. I get it, Apple is trying to play them up as evolutionary descendants but those devices get enough love and coverage. This video should have been solely about the Mac, period.
post #5 of 92

Enjoyed the video, very nice thanks Apple.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #6 of 92

Why do people always think Apple is going to run a Superbowl Ad? As much as some like the ads, they really don't do much. How many of the ads do you remember from last night? How many do you remember from last year? I think its a waste of money and Apple was right not to run an ad. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #7 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Why do people always think Apple is going to run a Superbowl Ad? As much as some like the ads, they really don't do much. How many of the ads do you remember from last night? How many do you remember from last year? I think its a waste of money and Apple was right not to run an ad. 

The ads last night were the absolute dullest I can remember in a Super Bowl.

The Dylan/Chrysler ad was the exception.

post #8 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaffei View Post

And, if Steve were alive, he would have jumped at a chance to rekindle that 1984 magic (even at the steep price of a Super Bowl Ad). Just goes to show you, this new Apple isn't going in the direction that Steve would have envisioned.

You left the sarcasm tag off.
post #9 of 92

Boring.

post #10 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Chrysler has a great marketing team. For the past few years they've always ran amazing and inspiring ads. 

Still though, I really don't see the point in running a $3 million ad for one night. Its a waste of money. 

Edited by macxpress - 2/3/14 at 7:03am

post #11 of 92
Quote:

Like he did in 2009, 2004, 1999, etc.?

post #12 of 92
Smart move Apple. People will talk about this ad regardless and you didn't have to spend millions plus fight for discussion time amongst all the other ads that were shown last night.
post #13 of 92
Quote:

Stop with if Steve we alive shit. Nobody knows what Steve would have done. You don't, I don't, nobody does. Steve isn't here anymore...get over it. 

post #14 of 92
Quote:

"If you want to live your life in a creative way, as an artist, you have to not look back too much. You have to be willing to take whatever you've done and whoever you were and throw them away." -- Steve Jobs

Apple already revisited the 1984 commercial in 2004 when they edited an iPod onto the runner. Going back to it again would have looked like they were running our of original ideas... and we know that's not true.

post #15 of 92
I would have sent one of those teams to South America.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #16 of 92

Apple better not be wasting money on Super Bowl ads.  They should be returning that money to shareholders.

post #17 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple better not be wasting money on Super Bowl ads.  They should be returning that money to shareholders.

You have been busy trying to drive the stock price down with your FUD for months. YOU should be returning money to shareholders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiman View Post

I expected more Mac in the video and less iPhones and iPads. I get it, Apple is trying to play them up as evolutionary descendants but those devices get enough love and coverage. This video should have been solely about the Mac, period.

It's the 30th anniversary of technology for the people, not so much of the Mac, but what it represents. Mythic thinking vs. your literal thinking.
post #18 of 92
Anyway, it's a great feast for the eyes, and it makes the point about Apple's mission very well.

The background story about the FaceTime-enabled shooting and the Mac-centric editing is typical Apple, extracting the meaning of the ad and making it do double duty.
post #19 of 92

/s

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Just sell your stock and shut up about Apple giving you money.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #20 of 92

Does anyone know what brand of iPhone holder the videographer used in the photo above? Hopefully it costs less than the great stuff at Zacuto.

post #21 of 92
Apple was right to take a pass on that SuperBowl ad. The NFL already rips the public off by threatening to leave a city if it doesn't buy them a fancy stadium. Ripping us off for overpriced ads is adding insult to injury.
post #22 of 92
Quote:

How do you know steve would have wasted the money on a superbowl ad? times have changed, ways of advertising are much different than the famous big brother ad. apple wasnt advertising anything new so why waste the money. plus the ads this year sucked, seems like other companys are giving up in the superbowl too
post #23 of 92
Another Apple marketing blunder. For 3 or 4 million you get in front of 110 million people plus all the follow through on the rollup pages that contain all the videos for super bowl ads. Even if it was 8 million for a minute spot to run this. They spend more than that on patent attorneys every single week. Wouldn't this add do more for them than the wasted billions on patent attorneys which have done nothing for them?

Apple would rather let 160 billion sit in the bank doing nothing year after year. Growing and growing.

Super Bowl makes a statement. It's a chance to show what apple is all about. That they are still cool. This spot touches that chord but won't get the viewership because apple could not spend a few million to air it.

Tim Cook and the marketing team made a great ad. Too bad it won't get the viewership and recognition it deserves. Sure 8 million is alot to us but Apple just made that much in the time it took you to read my post here.
post #24 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiman View Post

At the end of the video they said "Happy Birthday, Mac" but the actual title of the piece was:

"30 years ago we introduced the Macintosh. It promised to put technology in the hands of the people."

Hands being a play on words.

Desktop publishing sure doesn't get any love in that video and apparently they couldn't find anyone using a new Mac Pro on January 24, 2014. At least I didn't see one, viewing just once. If this video was really about the Mac, I would have thought, the new Mac Pro would have been presented prominently. The fact that they boasted it was shot on an iPhone should tell you something about the target market for this video. PCs/Macs are in decline. The 30th anniversary was just an excuse to advertise iOS. Can't really blame them.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #25 of 92

Apple doesn’t do trade shows like CES. Apple doesn’t do MacWorld . Apple doesn’t want to be pressured into arbitrary release schedules. Apple doesn’t want this. Apple doesn’t do that. Well then what do they do? Why does it appear that Apple has stalled out? Why does it look like Apple’s new leadership is scared to do anything dramatic, take a gamble, maybe fall on their faces for once? Have they gotten too big to take chances? Is it all about keeping the money flowing now? Is the pressure from Wall Street having an effect? Do they have balls to fail?

iWatch? AppleTV? Not all that exciting prospects for disruptions.

post #26 of 92
Quote:

I don't know if it is what "Steve would have done" but I agree that it is embarrassing that Apple did not take an opportunity to revive the SB 84 magic.

Apple, with its hundreds of billions in the bank can afford a few million for an ad.

Does anyone think the SB 84 ad, considering we are still discussing it today, 30 years later, wasn't worth the money?

Edited by addicted44 - 2/3/14 at 8:51am
post #27 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Apple doesn’t do trade shows like CES. Apple doesn’t do MacWorld . Apple doesn’t want to be pressured into arbitrary release schedules. Apple doesn’t want this. Apple doesn’t do that. Well then what do they do? Why does it appear that Apple has stalled out? Why does it look like Apple’s new leadership is scared to do anything dramatic, take a gamble, maybe fall on their faces for once? Have they gotten too big to take chances? Is it all about keeping the money flowing now? Is the pressure from Wall Street having an effect? Do they have balls to fail?

iWatch? AppleTV? Not all that exciting prospects for disruptions.

"Why does it appear that Apple has stalled out?"

Easy. It appears that way to you because you have no vision, no imagination, no ability to see into the future.

In a world of cheap circuses, you stand out by keeping your mouth shut while you invent a way for people to enjoy their own creativity,.
post #28 of 92

Deleted original post since it was for a different article.

For lkrupp...

Wow, man, your post reads like you do not know Apple at all.  No one at Apple knew if the iPod would fail or succeed.  The same goes for the iPhone and iPad. The Mac Pro redesign could have very well failed. Passbook, iOS 7, A7, M7, Touch ID are all chances for failures. Maps... Talk about taking a chance! I personally have not had issues with Maps, but so much has been written about Maps being a failure. How about Siri? iBeacons?

$10.5 billion for robotics manufacturing... $500+ million for a sapphire plant... Years of research and development in the fields of mobile payments and biometrics.  This does not seem like Apple's new leadership is scared to do anything dramatic, take a gamble. In-door mapping, public transportation, hardware, software... This looks like taking a gamble to me.

Wall Street having an effect?  Really?  Do you mean the liars and thieves who will do and say anything to make a dollar pressuring Apple to do their bidding?  You really dare to want Apple to pay attention to them and commit suicide just to make Wall Street happy?

I am glad Apple is not behaving with the flashiness that Google has been exhibiting for a while now. Hopefully, Apple will not do that any time soon. Google is promoting its multi-billion dollar robotics purchases while in the Apple ad above, kids are using Macs to program robots. Google promoted its new Android Car initiative just as Apple's car efforts are bearing fruit from thoughtful research and development. Google promoted its contact lens just as Apple's patents for much in depth medical research and development were becoming public. When was the last time you heard about the car initiative? The contact lens? Did you know the contact lens research Google promoted actually started with Microsoft? Google promoted its $3.2 billion Nest purchase then announced its $2.91 billion sale of Motorola, the company it paid $12.5 billion for just two years ago.  Is this the "Do they have balls to fail?" you are looking for?

Oh well.

Edited by leavingthebigG - 2/3/14 at 9:37am
post #29 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

It wasn't dull, it was ironic. All that blathering about Americans building cars in an ad about a brand owned by Fiat.
post #30 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

Another Apple marketing blunder. For 3 or 4 million you get in front of 110 million people plus all the follow through on the rollup pages that contain all the videos for super bowl ads. Even if it was 8 million for a minute spot to run this. They spend more than that on patent attorneys every single week. Wouldn't this add do more for them than the wasted billions on patent attorneys which have done nothing for them?

Apple would rather let 160 billion sit in the bank doing nothing year after year. Growing and growing.

Super Bowl makes a statement. It's a chance to show what apple is all about. That they are still cool. This spot touches that chord but won't get the viewership because apple could not spend a few million to air it.

Tim Cook and the marketing team made a great ad. Too bad it won't get the viewership and recognition it deserves. Sure 8 million is alot to us but Apple just made that much in the time it took you to read my post here.

Wrong audience, wrong venue. 2014 turned out to be more like Brave New World than 1984. The herd is watching the "Super" Bowl, while too much of Apple's audience is out enjoying life.
post #31 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Wrong audience, wrong venue. 2014 turned out to be more like Brave New World than 1984. The herd is watching the "Super" Bowl, while too much of Apple's audience is out enjoying life.

Strongly disasgree.  What percentage of the 110 million viewers do you think own a smartphone (apple or android), a tablet or are in the market for one, an upgrade or a switch from android to iphone?  I'd say 95%.  I'm pretty sure it's the right audience.  I'm pretty sure anyone here would agree with me as well (except you perhaps).  We'll agree to disagree.

post #32 of 92
Quote:

Strongly disasgree.  What percentage of the 110 million viewers do you think own a smartphone (apple or android), a tablet or are in the market for one, an upgrade or a switch from android to iphone?  I'd say 95%.  I'm pretty sure it's the right audience.  I'm pretty sure anyone here would agree with me as well (except you perhaps).  We'll agree to disagree.

Sure, but Apple probably didn't want to be mixed in with the absurdity of the other ads.

post #33 of 92
Apple was smart as they could never top that iconic commercial. A true classic.
Besides Apple is now Big Brother- but it would be clever to show a role reversal with some humor.
However this was just boring.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #34 of 92
Another Apple marketing blunder.

You continue not to comprehend anything about Apple.

They spend more than that on patent attorneys every single week. Wouldn't this add do more for them than the wasted billions on patent attorneys which have done nothing for them?

Shut up and go away. You’ve either been in a coma for the past few years or you’re trolling.

post #35 of 92
I wish they'd done an ad. It is a lot of money for one ad - but I wouldn't say it's a waste. The Super Bowl is the one and only time when I have to pause the tv if someone goes to the bathroom - because everyone wants to watch the ads. It's the only time, ever, all year, where the ads aren't ignored or fast-forwarded through. So I'd say it's the best advertising money a company can spend all year -which is exactly why the cost is so high.

In any case, I also wish they'd done an ad to celebrate the Mac because of the 30th anniversary, and because mac ads are rare these days. If nothing else, I wish they'd make a commercial to counter the amazon fire ad that was on immediately after the Super Bowl (same Fire ad that's been around for a while). Fire's are fine, but I'm really disappointed with Apple not stepping up to promote some of the highlights of the iPad that are the reasons why it's more expensive. (& I know - that's not their style - but I still think they could do something in that vein that's high class and a little more obvious to general consumers).
post #36 of 92
Wait... When was the Super Bowl? Apple certainly didn't miss much by skipping it.
post #37 of 92
Quote:

I'll take this seriously. You might be right about the smartphone/tablet marketing opportunity, but I can't see how Apple could address that market in the context of the Stupid Bowl.

They might have tossed the idea around but how would they rise to the necessary tastelessness or aggression or hucksterism? They can't do dark satire anymore, like in 1984. They're on a Truth and Beauty trip now.

Wouldn't fit in, I don't think. But then I missed the festivities. It was a good time to get tires at Costco.
post #38 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Does anyone know what brand of iPhone holder the videographer used in the photo above? Hopefully it costs less than the great stuff at Zacuto.

Haven't received any help but did find an iPhone holder from Grip&Shoot that controls zoom and the shutter via buttons on the handle grip using Bluetooth. Cost is $99 but it includes two rubberized cases with a grip mount.

http://www.gripandshoot.com/product.html

post #39 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I'll take this seriously. You might be right about the smartphone/tablet marketing opportunity, but I can't see how Apple could address that market in the context of the Stupid Bowl.

They might have tossed the idea around but how would they rise to the necessary tastelessness or aggression or hucksterism? They can't do dark satire anymore, like in 1984. They're on a Truth and Beauty trip now.

Wouldn't fit in, I don't think. But then I missed the festivities. It was a good time to get tires at Costco.

Well we both agree that Costco is great :-)

I think apple would address this just by making a statement with this commercial.  I've been critical of most of the apple ads the last few years.  This is the first one I thought that made an interesting statement in two ways.  One from the content. Two from how it was shot (iphone only) and this all took place in one day.  

I think it would have fit in fine and been a good use of dollars doing nothing in the bank. Apple as I said spends this much in a day on patent lawyers that have yielded little fruit.  The spot on the superbowl is just half the exposure.  The follow on exposure is all free.  The youtube pages dedicated to SB ads.  The 10's of thousands of blogs dedicated to the ads.  Mainstream tv media showing the ad spot.   It's a lot of bang for the buck.  How much additional demand at apple's huge margins do they need to generate to justify this?  Dont' just think of a guy who switches today from android to iphone. Think of his next 10 phones over 20 years too.  Multiply that by just 100k converts.  Maybe 1M converts. Who knows.

post #40 of 92

Spending money on a super bowl ad is not forward thinking and is a waste of money.  More people will eventually see this ad on-line (and hear the great story behind the making of it).  TV ads will soon go the way of the CD, DVD, etc... 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple skips pricey Super Bowl ad, pays homage to 30 years of Mac via online movie shot using iPhones [u]