or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft officially names Satya Nadella CEO, Bill Gates steps down as chairman
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft officially names Satya Nadella CEO, Bill Gates steps down as chairman - Page 3

post #81 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post
 

 

No, you demonstrated that Win/RT has a bunch of features that have been shown to me kind of "Meh" from a tablet OS perspective from both reviews and sales.   Some are just not as relevant for a tablet OS and others are simply implemented so-so.

 

Of that list the multi-user accounts is the only one that strikes me as something that I would really like to have on iOS.

 

 

No.  That's not the assertion.  The assertion is that MS has good pro apps just like Apple.  Not the platform but the company.  As near as I can tell they don't.  Not like FCPX, Logic Pro X or Aperture.  So what "pro apps" are you thinking of because enterprise and office apps are explicitly covered already as their own categories.

 

Just like Apple doesn't sell any service platforms like Azure I don't believe that MS sell any "Pro" apps.

 

Does "pro" mean "pro video", these days?

post #82 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post
 

And I thought that those people at Amazon EC2 were just a bunch of racoons.

 

Amazon doesn't sell the EC2 platform so you can build your own private compute cloud.  VPC doesn't really count since I don't believe it will manage your own servers.  HP and perhaps Oracle does.  VMWare sorta does.

post #83 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by marubeni View Post
 

Does "pro" mean "pro video", these days?

 

No.  But it means not MS Office or Sharepoint or Azure since these were called out already as MS advantages over Apple.

 

Other Pro apps could be things like MATLAB, Mathematica, InDesign, QuarkExpress, AutoCAD, etc.  That's ignoring that the three apps I listed covers photography, audio and video.

 

You could maybe argue dev tools are pro apps.

post #84 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post
 

 

No.  But it means not MS Office or Sharepoint or Azure since these were called out already as MS advantages over Apple.

 

Other Pro apps could be things like MATLAB, Mathematica, InDesign, QuarkExpress, AutoCAD, etc.  That's ignoring that the three apps I listed covers photography, audio and video.

 

You could maybe argue dev tools are pro apps.

 

So, help me out here: all of the things you mentioned are available on Mac and Windows, but not iOS. Isn't that what was claimed originally about Windows vs iOS (presumably only Office is available on RT)? 

post #85 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post
 

 

No, you demonstrated that Win/RT has a bunch of features that have been shown to me kind of "Meh" from a tablet OS perspective from both reviews and sales.   Some are just not as relevant for a tablet OS and others are simply implemented so-so.

 

Of that list the multi-user accounts is the only one that strikes me as something that I would really like to have on iOS.

 

 

No.  That's not the assertion.  The assertion is that MS has good pro apps just like Apple.  Not the platform but the company.  As near as I can tell they don't.  Not like FCPX, Logic Pro X or Aperture.  So what "pro apps" are you thinking of because enterprise and office apps are explicitly covered already as their own categories.

 

Just like Apple doesn't sell any service platforms like Azure I don't believe that MS sell any "Pro" apps.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post
 

 

No, you demonstrated that Win/RT has a bunch of features that have been shown to me kind of "Meh" from a tablet OS perspective from both reviews and sales.   Some are just not as relevant for a tablet OS and others are simply implemented so-so.

 

Of that list the multi-user accounts is the only one that strikes me as something that I would really like to have on iOS.

 

 

No.  That's not the assertion.  The assertion is that MS has good pro apps just like Apple.  Not the platform but the company.  As near as I can tell they don't.  Not like FCPX, Logic Pro X or Aperture.  So what "pro apps" are you thinking of because enterprise and office apps are explicitly covered already as their own categories.

 

Just like Apple doesn't sell any service platforms like Azure I don't believe that MS sell any "Pro" apps.

 

Pro apps are all about using a professional tool in a particular industry. In this instance, if we exclude Office, then I would include software suites such as Visual Studio, Expression Studio. But you're right - in terms of company and not platform, Apple makes more Pro apps.

 

Re: Windows RT - every item on my list is relevant, depending on what you want to use your tablet for. Might not be relevant for you, but it's relevant for others. Things like 2 apps on screen at the same time - that's important for me, even though it's not important for you. But that's why Windows RT / 8 is better - because it can do those things for those who need them.

post #86 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by marubeni View Post
 

 

I would say, abusive private messages are reason for immediate banning.

i would say that it is specifically what PM are for. 

 

Some peeps you just can't reach...

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply
post #87 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post
 

i would say that it is specifically what PM are for. 

 

Some peeps you just can't reach...

 

Private messages are for things which are not of general interest (oh, you were at NeXT in 1988? Why, I had the office next door, that secretary Janet, man, she was hot!), not for abuse.

post #88 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by marubeni View Post
 

 

Private messages are for things which are not of general interest (oh, you were at NeXT in 1988? Why, I had the office next door, that secretary Janet, man, she was hot!), not for abuse.

Let me see--- oh, you were at Appleinsider in 2014? I was in general discussion forum, and there were a few apple hater posters, man were they idiots.

See how that works?

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply
post #89 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

Part of the reason it is not selling is what was already mentioned by me (and WP7Mango): windows RT is just like windows, except it's not windows. The Surface Pro 2, I have no idea how well it is selling, but it is in a pretty crowded market (Lenovo alone has a bunch of convertible devices), and MSFT can't be too aggressive vs its own OEMs. The point is, there are many reason why something does not sell well, only one of which is poor design, so what you say makes no sense.

Asking questions is 'not making sense'? Someone better tell Socrates.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #90 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


Asking questions is 'not making sense'? Someone better tell Socrates.

 

You were asking questions in the form of assertions? That's sort of anti-Socratic, so the great man may well be spinning, whereever he is.

post #91 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

So, help me out here: all of the things you mentioned are available on Mac and Windows, but not iOS. Isn't that what was claimed originally about Windows vs iOS (presumably only Office is available on RT)? 

It sounds like you think apps are an important reason to buy microsofts products, for the same reason, iOS would be a great choice for you 1smile.gif Because there are so many touch optimized apps. And obviously there's a lot of advantage to having apps that are designed specifically as a touch based app as opposed to a mouse based app when you buy a tablet.
post #92 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post


It sounds like you think apps are an important reason to buy microsofts products, for the same reason, iOS would be a great choice for you 1smile.gif Because there are so many touch optimized apps. And obviously there's a lot of advantage to having apps that are designed specifically as a touch based app as opposed to a mouse based app when you buy a tablet.

 

Since I am typing this on an Apple computer, with around ten iOS devices around me, you don't need to convince me. However, the OP's argument was that a Windows device gives you access to professional apps (however you define them) -- you don't need to use touch, since the Windows tablets, or hybrids, or whatever you want to call them, do actually come with a physical keyboard, and ports to hook up external displays (and certainly a bluetooth mouse is not an issue).  The iOS devices do not have that option, and he is absolutely correct. Now, since I have the option of traveling with a 2lb thinkpad X1 carbon and an iPad (for a total weight of around 3 lb), I don't necessarily agree with him that this would be useful for me, but again, his argument is that the user HAS THE OPTION of using the Surface Pro 2, or whatever, as an actual PC.

post #93 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by WP7Mango View Post
 

But that's why Windows RT / 8 is better - because it can do those things for those who need them.

 

Windows RT and Windows 8 are two different beasties.  I looked at the RT but when I learned that you can't do Visio or Project on it I passed.  The Surface Pro 2 looks interesting but only from a ultra book that can be used as a wacom tablet from time to time.

post #94 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post
 

 

Windows RT and Windows 8 are two different beasties.  I looked at the RT but when I learned that you can't do Visio or Project on it I passed.  The Surface Pro 2 looks interesting but only from a ultra book that can be used as a wacom tablet from time to time.

 

Actually, most convertible Windows devices I know are OK with stylus input...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft officially names Satya Nadella CEO, Bill Gates steps down as chairman