or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Flash flaw could allow attackers to remotely control Macs and PCs, Adobe issues critical update

Flash flaw could allow attackers to remotely control Macs and PCs, Adobe issues critical update - Page 2

post #41 of 48
Pathetic. Adobe Flash is pathetic.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #42 of 48
Security flaws are often just simple errors like a single line of code out of potentially millions of lines of code. Browsers have them too. Safari has had them:

http://threatpost.com/public-exploit-available-for-patched-safari-bug/102168

Firefox's critical vulnerabilities are listed here in red:

http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html

Flash ideally shouldn't be as complex as it is (it contains an entire virtual machine for actionscript code) but it needed to be for as long as browsers couldn't handle rich media, which was far longer than necessary.

GIFs are used quite a lot online but they are very inefficient and limited to 256 colors. Before Flash, advertisers put bandwidth-hogging GIFs everywhere. Flash offered full color, vectors, audio and interactivity and it wasn't Adobe that started this, it was Macromedia, Adobe just bought them.

When Apple dropped Flash support, there was little desktop browser support for HTML 5, no IDEs for it and Javascript performance was poor. Apple's competition as usual tried to side with everything opposite to Apple like they did with hardware keyboards and 3rd party app stores but they discovered that Flash just didn't work well for mobile platforms.

Now we're at a point where Flash is almost unnecessary and looking back, it's clear to see it shouldn't have been as widely used as it was. The one important thing it offered creative publishers as far as most consumers were concerned was DRM video streaming. It also offered animated vectors.

While most people don't experience animated vector content during browsing, it allowed the Zynga founders to create a billion dollar online gaming franchise. This can probably be done in HTML 5 now but they still need to protect code and assets and the people making the most advanced HTML 5 IDE is the same company with the Flash IDE - Adobe.

They won't just pull the plug on Flash overnight until creative publishers can do exactly the same thing with HTML 5 as they can with Flash. Apple did that with FCPX and a lot of people jumped ship to Adobe who doesn't do that. It's not always the wrong thing to do but look at how Apple handed OS9 -> OS X, they bundled a whole classic environment to ease the transition. The first step I'd like to see Adobe take is EOL Actionscript and replace it with Javascript while still allowing old Actionscript to run on demand but default to disabled. This means there's no active virtual machine for interpreting code so any security flaw lies with the browser developer. The plugin would then just handle calls for DRM content and effectively be like HTML 5 Canvas. The problem with Javascript is that it's not really a good replacement for a proper object-oriented language and performance varies from one browser to another but it's kinda late to change it now.
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Flash ideally shouldn't be as complex as it is (it contains an entire virtual machine for actionscript code) but it needed to be for as long as browsers couldn't handle rich media, which was far longer than necessary.

Indeed. I don't want to damn Flash too much. It led the way to making the web what it is today. And unfortunately there's still not enough agreement on standards for rich media. Combine that with the still very substantial universe of legacy Flash applications, and we'll still be using it for some time. 

I wonder if Flash would be in better shape if Macromedia were still independent. I'm not sure that Adobe has been the best caretaker for it. It's not like Adobe can't do a great job on software that it cares about.

post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Five years?  How do Flash developers reach mobile users today?

From what little I know I think they build in Flash then convert to HTML5 with some Adobe utility. I am sure others here know far more and will explain more. We are still in a transition period for sure, HTML 5 WYSIWYG creation tools have a long way to go.

Meanwhile on the receiving end, all my Macs have Click to Flash and Little Snitch installed.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

While the Apple-ites (of which I'm normally one) seem to think Flash is dead...the reality it, No. Its not. Not yet.

Other things that are not dead… yet:

1) dialup

2) cassettes

3) typewriters

4) phone books

post #46 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonComstock View Post

Other things that are not dead… yet:

1) dialup
2) cassettes
3) typewriters
4) phone books

1) Over here dialup isn't supported by any ISP
2) Cassettes are long gone, except for my want to digitize a bunch...which I still haven't gotten around to, after I got a CD burner back in the day (20+ years)
3 + 4) Haven't seen either one in ...many years. Not used, no, not even seen one.

Could be a cultural thing though.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

1) Over here dialup isn't supported by any ISP
2) Cassettes are long gone, except for my want to digitize a bunch...which I still haven't gotten around to, after I got a CD burner back in the day (20+ years)
3 + 4) Haven't seen either one in ...many years. Not used, no, not even seen one.

Could be a cultural thing though.

Damn. Should have installed that sarcasm font.

Actually, there are still contracts to be had duplicating cassettes for government agencies who must supply information to the very aged and infirm who cannot read for one reason or another. Guess what playback medium an 85 year old shut in has nearby…. yep, a cassette player. When a stack of phone books are delivered annually to my business, I must sign something in order to refuse them.

The point being (sarcastically) that things often live lives beyond their usefulness… like a power sucking bloatware browser plugin.

gc

post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonComstock View Post

Damn. Should have installed that sarcasm font.

Actually, there are still contracts to be had duplicating cassettes for government agencies who must supply information to the very aged and infirm who cannot read for one reason or another. Guess what playback medium an 85 year old shut in has nearby…. yep, a cassette player. When a stack of phone books are delivered annually to my business, I must sign something in order to refuse them.

The point being (sarcastically) that things often live lives beyond their usefulness… like a power sucking bloatware browser plugin.

gc

With the sheer amount of stupid posts around here I actually didn't see the sarcasm in your post. Stupid me. Not that you're stupid, the ones who are don't know it and the ones who aren't stupid are clever enough not to question it anyway. Ah, life's little lessons.

Annoying for you to have to sign in order to deny the phone book delivery, though I do understand it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
  • Flash flaw could allow attackers to remotely control Macs and PCs, Adobe issues critical update
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Flash flaw could allow attackers to remotely control Macs and PCs, Adobe issues critical update