or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Newton 2100s for sale
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Newton 2100s for sale

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
First of all, they aren't mine.

But here's the link if you're interested:

<a href="http://www.jksalesinc.com/" target="_blank">http://www.jksalesinc.com/</a>

$220 US and they'll ship overseas.
post #2 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by Fran441:
<strong>First of all, they aren't mine.

But here's the link if you're interested:

<a href="http://www.jksalesinc.com/" target="_blank">http://www.jksalesinc.com/</a>

$220 US and they'll ship overseas.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's a rip-off for a discontinued product that has no software and has poor handwriting recognition. I would only pay maybe $100 at the absolute most for one of those.
post #3 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by FreshApple:
<strong>

That's a rip-off for a discontinued product that has no software and has poor handwriting recognition. I would only pay maybe $100 at the absolute most for one of those.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Uh oh.....If I were you I'd duck before Fran comes leaping at you with his ninja attack action.


quietly backs out of room before chaos insues
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
Reply
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
Reply
post #4 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by FreshApple:
<strong>

That's a rip-off for a discontinued product that has no software and has poor handwriting recognition. I would only pay maybe $100 at the absolute most for one of those.</strong><hr></blockquote>

1.) has a ton of software for nearly every thing you could possibly want (awaits weak ass response of why is there no simcity then)

2.) has better handwriting recognition than Palm which does not even have handwriting recognition (awaits weak ass response of how FreshApple wrote a long essay on a newton and none of it translated correctly)
3.) it has more expandability than any Palm created.

check eBay. They go for a lot. these aren't really bad prices
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Originally posted by FreshApple:
[quote]That's a rip-off for a discontinued product that has no software and has poor handwriting recognition. I would only pay maybe $100 at the absolute most for one of those. <hr></blockquote>

Originally posted by Willoughby
[quote]Uh oh.....If I were you I'd duck before Fran comes leaping at you with his ninja attack action./quote]

Listen, he's entitled to his opinion, although his lack of knowledge on the subject is unbelievably poor.

I find it hard to believe that you've ever used a Newton Messagepad 2100 FreshApple, as the handwriting recognition is far superior to the Palm, as the Palm has no handwriting recognition at all. The Palm has grafitti- you cannot use your own handwriting at all, so it's not 'handwriting recognition'.

No software? Well I'm sure that if you actually looked around, you'd see that there are thousands of Newton packages out there that will do just about anything you want. I'm sorry that your beloved SimCity isn't one of the titles out there, but spending $440 on a color Palm to play SimCity is kind of silly, don't you think?

Any way, it's very sad that the Palm has such little memory and expansion, as well as processing power compared to the Newton of 5 years ago. The fact that I can have two 5 GB ATA cards for storage, or have a memory card a network card in at the same time, is such an improvement over what the Palm can do, it is amazing.

Plus, I wish you had read my original post on this subject in the Palm vs. Newton thread. If you haven't had a chance, now might be a good time.

Any way, for those looking for a Newton, I thought this was a farily good deal.
post #6 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by FreshApple:
<strong>That's a rip-off for a discontinued product that has no software and has poor handwriting recognition. I would only pay maybe $100 at the absolute most for one of those.</strong><hr></blockquote>

thinking and talking with your @$S is not a good idea.

if Newton has bad HWR, then probably there's no good HWR on this earth at all.

if Newton has no software, then I must be seeing stuff ..
post #7 of 17
it's possible to post on these boards when you're unregistered????
IBL!
Reply
IBL!
Reply
post #8 of 17
Yep unreg. posting is easy

-Crusader
post #9 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>1.) has a ton of software for nearly every thing you could possibly want (awaits weak *** response of why is there no simcity then)
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, there is an newton game called RemoteTown. It's a simplified version of Sim City.
post #10 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by FreshApple:
<strong>

... and has poor handwriting recognition. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Pass that crack pipe around, man! Don't be stingy!
Follow me on Twitter.
Reply
Follow me on Twitter.
Reply
post #11 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by Fran441:
<strong>First of all, they aren't mine.

But here's the link if you're interested:

<a href="http://www.jksalesinc.com/" target="_blank">http://www.jksalesinc.com/</a>

$220 US and they'll ship overseas.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I went to that site and delayed all of about two seconds before clicking the "Buy" button. I can't wait (my PB 2400 is lost in the mail and I'm afraid it's not coming back). Who has the best prices on ATA cards? Is there a active Newton mailing list? That Planet Newton site defunct.
post #12 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by yablaka:
<strong>

I went to that site and delayed all of about two seconds before clicking the "Buy" button. I can't wait (my PB 2400 is lost in the mail and I'm afraid it's not coming back). Who has the best prices on ATA cards? Is there a active Newton mailing list? That Planet Newton site defunct.</strong><hr></blockquote>

newtontalk.net appears to be pretty active. <a href="http://www.newtontalk.net" target="_blank">www.newtontalk.net</a> also has a searchable archive of their posts in case you don't feel like getting inundated with the 3000+ message a month.
post #13 of 17
post #14 of 17
I had the money to buy a Palm, but I just bought a Newton instead. I haven't seen anything to convince me yet that the Palm is capable of being more than a glorified Day-Timer. I just wrote out 4 pages of text while watching TV. I've had the unit for less than 24 hours (and had never touched one before) and the HWR is remarkable.
"Moo" said the chicken
"Cluck" said the cow
Dr. Frankenstein rubbed his hands together with glee
Reply
"Moo" said the chicken
"Cluck" said the cow
Dr. Frankenstein rubbed his hands together with glee
Reply
post #15 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by BobtheTomato:
<strong>I had the money to buy a Palm, but I just bought a Newton instead. I haven't seen anything to convince me yet that the Palm is capable of being more than a glorified Day-Timer. I just wrote out 4 pages of text while watching TV. I've had the unit for less than 24 hours (and had never touched one before) and the HWR is remarkable.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think the new Sony clie NR70V is really cool, I'd say step in the right directin for PalmOS devices.

I am not trying to convince anyone to buy it, but if Sony keeps up the good work and releases something even cooler than that, I might retire my Newton 2100 after it's 6th birthday
post #16 of 17
I agree, with Sony's new handheld, it's a step in the right direction. Palm needs a higher resolution, like Sony has, they need to ditch the silkscreened graffiti area and use a virtual one (Like Sony and that other company), and then it would be nice if they would adopt some sort of HWR.

Actually, it would be nice if Apple bought the Palm OS division, integrated the Newton's technology with it, and pushed handheld computing forward. They've got enough money to buy Palm, it fits into their digital hub strategy, and buying palm gets them instant marketshare int the PDA market.

*shrugs*

Maybe I want another Newton as much as Fran though
post #17 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:
<strong>Maybe I want another Newton as much as Fran though </strong><hr></blockquote>

Me too but I guess we need the Ghost of Newton Past, Ghost of Newton Present and Ghost of Newton Future to convince Mr Jobs to make a new one for us.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Newton 2100s for sale