or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › First phase of Apple's new $300M Austin, TX campus nears completion

First phase of Apple's new $300M Austin, TX campus nears completion

post #1 of 24
Apple is reportedly set to begin moving into its new "Americas Operations Center" in Texas's capital city after spending just over $27 million on the project's initial stage.

Austin campus
Apple's new Austin, Texas campus nears completion | Source: Austin Business Journal

Austin city officials have issued certificates of occupancy for two new buildings at the site, according to a report with photos from the Austin Business Journal. The structures provide some 290,000 square feet of office space, just over a fourth of the 1 million square feet the campus will eventually contain.

Construction has moved swiftly since AppleInsider detailed the project's progress last October. A central plaza linking the new buildings is complete, and workers appear to be installing final touches like vehicle-stopping bollards.

First announced in 2012, the Austin campus is expected to be fully operational by the end of 2021 at a cost of $304 million. Apple has said that it intends to nearly double its current Austin headcount to 3,600 employees once the new facility is complete.

In addition to the Austin project, Apple is in the process of expanding its European headquarters in Ireland to accommodate 500 new workers. The company is also preparing to begin construction on its new, $5 billion "spaceship" corporate headquarters in Cupertino.
post #2 of 24
Looks nice! Go %uF8FF!
post #3 of 24
Quote:
In addition to the Austin project, Apple is in the process of expanding its European headquarters in Ireland to accommodate 500 new workers.

And Apple Store? Amirite?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 24

I live in Austin.  No wonder my property tax bill is getting bigger each year.

post #5 of 24
It looks to be occupied now. There are cars parked in the adjacent garage.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #6 of 24
What do they do in Austin. Not software afaik.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #7 of 24

Call Center - 

I am "Joint Venture" - special business customer.   Most assistance calls from Austin - 

By the way - highly recommend JV - worth the money - private lessons anytime (I get them downstairs in an amazing room at Santa Monica store).

Treated like Royalty - no lines EVER 

post #8 of 24
I see. I looked to see if they had any software openings outside California. Jesus wept the number of open positions is astounding. Have people called in rich? 100 jobs were posted on feb 4th. Another 60 on feb 4th. 600 in all. Nuts.

Where will they all fit.
post #9 of 24

They just need a backup for when The Big One hits California and wipes out Infinite Loop.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #10 of 24
While note expecting to see it stamped all over the place in any of the images provided, not even one Apple logo...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #11 of 24
What a waste of money. That cash should have funded the increased buy back and / or returned to shareholders!
/s
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

They do design in Austin + call center/forums, etc. The Mac Pro as well.

post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I know AppleCare is located in Austin, Texas. I know there are other things at Apple located there as well, such as sales reps and such for education. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They just need a backup for when The Big One hits California and wipes out Infinite Loop.

Yeah i'm hoping they get the new headquarters finished before The Big One hits.

Now that I think about it, lighting up that torus will probably get extraterrestrials to finally intervene and help us out.
post #15 of 24

2021?

I wonder where AAPL will be at in 2021. Anybody brave enough to take a guess?

According to my simple calculation and my guess, I'm going to say $ 2750.00, not taking into consideration any eventual splits.

We'll see who's right and on the money in seven years!

post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

2021?

I wonder where AAPL will be at in 2021. Anybody brave enough to take a guess?

According to my simple calculation and my guess, I'm going to say $ 2750.00, not taking into consideration any eventual splits.

We'll see who's right and on the money in seven years!

That's a fair guesstimate, but I will raise it to $3521.13 by then they will be selling robots, an assortment of wearable devices, digital wallets will have surpassed cash and credit cards, fabrication machines maybe, hell, perhaps even an Apple TV!

post #17 of 24
They should have designed a smaller version of the Cupertino mothership that could have been built in Austin and in Ireland and anywhere else they have corporate offices.
post #18 of 24
Completed by 2021? That can't be right!
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quote:

Yeah i'm hoping they get the new headquarters finished before The Big One hits.

Now that I think about it, lighting up that torus will probably get extraterrestrials to finally intervene and help us out.

Safe to say, ARUP should have The Big One covered...some of their work is already well 'out there'.
post #20 of 24
The previous space was rented. The added spaced is owned. Austin real estate is likely considerably cheaper than Cupertino real estate. It seems to me that this does benefit shareholders through creating property equity instead of paying only rent. Granted, lower cash flow but higher net worth (renting vs. owning).

Apple Austin is support, sales, finance, and operations, mainly. Some hardware engineering at a different location.
post #21 of 24
Quote:

As an ignorant non-American, may I ask what 'The Big One' refers to? A hurricane?
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

As an ignorant non-American, may I ask what 'The Big One' refers to? A hurricane?

Earthquake.
post #23 of 24
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

California’s known for its earthquakes, particularly those in the 9.x range on the Richter scale. They’re due for another large one, the damage from which being catastrophic.

post #24 of 24
Quote:

California’s known for its earthquakes, particularly those in the 9.x range on the Richter scale. They’re due for another large one, the damage from which being catastrophic.

Wow. I recall Los Angeles had a terrible one in the 80s.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › First phase of Apple's new $300M Austin, TX campus nears completion