or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Cook says Apple to enter 'new categories' with upcoming devices
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cook says Apple to enter 'new categories' with upcoming devices - Page 4

post #121 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Oh, boy. You can lead a person to knowledge but...

No leaders around here. Just people who only "lead" in their fantasies.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #122 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Well it was the first tablet that anyone bought or was useful in any way. So, there is that.

Exactly, which made tablets a 'new product category'. The Americas was called the 'New World' but it wasn’t new at all.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #123 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Yes that would make sense except for the fact that he threw in 'reasonable person'. I'd say that there are a great many 'reasonable' people that believe the iPad is the first tablet ever to exist. I'm more apt to agree with you but you can't completely dismiss my point.

How many reasonable people believe Ford invented the car, or Columbus discovered America? Perception is often stronger than reality, and I'm reading what was implied rather than what was said.

 

... or;

 

You could read it this way:

 

We are making a product that looks just like one of our other products but a reasonable person would look at it and realize that it is a new category for Apple.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #124 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

Why are you worried about apple? Apple didn't release the first music player or the first smart phone. If the time is right for driverless cars, they'll get into it. Right now the market for it isn't there so let them innovate their own way.

His posts have all the signs of a classic concern troll: "I love Apple but (insert slavish praise for Google here), and I'm afraid Apple is doomed and I want to see Apple on top again."

Apple hasn't changed its strategy. They don't publicly pimp their unfinished beta or R&D projects left and right like Google does for shallow "geek cred." Apple has never, ever done this. How can anyone who claims to be "an Apple fan" suddenly cry concern and worry that Apple isn't doing what it has never done before?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #125 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... or;

You could read it this way:

We are making a product that looks just like one of our other products but a reasonable person would look at it and realize that it is a new category for Apple.

Agreed, and which is why I said that it's a comment left to interpretation. Nevertheless it'll be interesting to see what he meant.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #126 of 220
Why is he holding the phone upside-down?
post #127 of 220
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post
Uh, I'm pretty sure what killed Steve Jobs was cancer and not getting it treated as quickly as possible. I don't really think a bad diet is going to lead someone to a rare pancreatic cancer.

 

236 posts late, but at least it’s finally done. Good riddance to bad rubbish, and never come back.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #128 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

His posts have all the signs of a classic concern troll: "I love Apple but (insert slavish praise for Google here), and I'm afraid Apple is doomed and I want to see Apple on top again."

Apple hasn't changed its strategy. They don't publicly pimp their unfinished beta or R&D projects left and right like Google does for shallow "geek cred." Apple has never, ever done this. How can anyone who claims to be "an Apple fan" suddenly cry concern and worry that Apple isn't doing what it has never done before?

I think people are frustrated because we knew in advance that Apple was making a smartphone, and there were so many rumors of a tablet that it had to be true, but now the rumors are all over the place, a watch, and a TV set, and now the competition is seemingly beating Apple to the punch.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #129 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

OFFS... have you looked at Intel's 10 year chart.

Apple can sit on its hands if it wants to. No problem. Just keep shipping new iterations of its current devices...

... but don't expect the stock to be a growth stock. That's all that Wall Street is saying.

The Hate Wallstreet crowd on here don't seem to know or care that the same rules apply to all companies. FB and Twitter took a recent battering because their growth in users slowed or stagnated. Same with Apple and iPhones. Wallstreet is valuing apple as a commodity producer of higher priced electronics with no growth strategy until a new category is released. ( And as Marvin pointed out the iPod revenues and unit sales are falling off a cliff)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The share percent is going down. But mainly because the total number has gone up. iOS device sales are holding basically steady while Android and Windows devices increase in number, flooding the market due to the lower price. As you note, often from folks that had little intention of getting a smart phone but deciding to ditch the flip because the cost for say an Android phone is so little (and often put on sale with BOGO etc). 

What numbers we don't see are adjusted for returns and actual usage percents. There are many companies out there that try to sort out the percents of actual usage as a way to get around the lack of adjustment, calling channel 'sales' etc. But they are in no way statistically sound so their results are suspect. Generally they are tied to mobile ad companies so all they see are the usage of apps that have their ads and they might be in a skewed number of apps in each OS etc. But even then they tend to show equal or slightly higher numbers for iOS versus Android which is at least interesting. And then there's the media coverage of big buys like when LAUSD went with iPads rather than Surface (which apparently Microsoft is willing to give to schools for like 25% the retail cost). We don't see many big companies and school districts going with Android or Windows. Or least not press on it. Again not statistically sound as a marker but interesting. 

All this said, what is more important (or should be) than share is profit and Apple seems to have nailed that. So what that they might have only sold 5 Million iPhones this past year compared to say 5 times that with Android and Windows if it turns out that each iPhone makes 6-7 times the profit of the other phones. Unfortunately for Apple the analysts are too busy pulling numbers out of their butts, ignoring that year after year Apple sells more than the previous and so on. And the hit whoring press is more than happy to push out the doom and gloom to get page hits

Your stats are way off. Apple sold 50 million iPhones last Q. And Apples profit is Priced In. The stock reflects that, at 13-15 P/E. You only go higher if you look like you are growing.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #130 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I spent a couple of hours with GG a couple of weeks ago. The most utterly laughable product ever.

Would you care to share your experience?

Sure. 

 

One, it’s rather heavy, and in a lopsided way. The right side (where the GG is) is much heavier and thicker, and does not slide between the ear lobe and the cranium in an easy way. I did not feel comfortable at all, since it seemed heavier on one side, and felt like it could slip and fall any time. The ‘viewing’ glass itself is about an inch long, half an inch wide and tall, and kind of sits there like a weird, clumsy-looking attachment to the glass.

 

Two, the entire thing comes in one big ‘molded’ piece. You cannot fold it over like you can normal reading glasses to, say, put in your shirt/jacket pocket. You have slip the whole thing into what looks like a man-purse pouch (or you have to carry a man-purse into which you’ll have to put that pouch).

 

Three, there was no obvious way to get started, but you figure it out by rubbing/hitting it here and there. Even then, the response was not uniform, quick, or smooth. I kept having to try multiple times to get a response.

 

Four, when it does come on, something like a floating white screen (like a projector presentation screen) shows up on the right side, and it tells you to say “OK, Glass” to get to a menu. (The current menu is really quite limited in terms of functionality). After wearing it and trying to do stuff with it for about 15-20 mins, my right eye got quite visibly tired, and I just had to take the darn thing off to ‘reset’ my vision. Think of looking at a Viewmaster or through a binocular with one eye for an extended period of time. Ugh.

 

Five, you have to be connected to wifi to get anything to happen at all.

 

Six, everything is stored on Google servers.

 

I could go on, but perhaps I should stop here in the interests of time. Let’s just say that I could not wait to take the damn thing off, and get on with my life. It’s not even close to a beta.

post #131 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by water cooler View Post


They all lost money for google

 

Surface lost money for Google? Wow.

post #132 of 220

I think a 12 or 13 inch iPad might qualify for a new line if done in such a way to be a bit more like the MacBook Air.

 

But I take Tim's comment to imply that an iWatch-like device that connects to your phone or iPad would qualify, even it is partly an accessory to an iPad or phone.

post #133 of 220
"Any reasonable people"

That pretty much rules out Wall Street
post #134 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Leave an audio recorder there and find out.

No need; it makes a sound.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #135 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

236 posts late, but at least it’s finally done. Good riddance to bad rubbish, and never come back.

Seconded.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #136 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

236 posts late, but at least it’s finally done. Good riddance to bad rubbish, and never come back.

You and I both know it's only temporary.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #137 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

"Any reasonable people"

That pretty much rules out Wall Street

 

LOL  Nice. :)

post #138 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

"This is where the money is?!"  Are you kidding me?  It's certainly not where the money is for Google, where 90% of their profits come from advertising revenue.  For Google, advertising is where the money is.  Compare Google's profits to Apple's someday.  Apple is having absolutely no problem making money.

Does "I skate to where the puk is going. Not where it has been" ring a bell?
In order to keep growing and not become irrelevant apple has to find new industries to relolucionalize. Cars, robotics. Cool stuff don't you agree?


Well it was the first tablet that anyone bought or was useful in any way. So, there is that.
post #139 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluga View Post
Does "I skate to where the puk is going. Not where it has been" ring a bell?
In order to keep growing and not become irrelevant apple has to find new industries to relolucionalize. Cars, robotics. Cool stuff don't you agree?
 

 

No, I don't agree.  What the hell has Google revolutionized?  Nothing, because they are an advertising company.
 
And cars, seriously?  Do have ANY idea the regulatory difficulties in changing the basic way that automobiles work?  You can go and DESIGN whatever you want.  But that doesn't mean you can drive that vehicle on a public road.  The same way that you can BUY an F1 vehicle, but you sure has hell can't drive it to the grocery store.
 
And what robotics?  To do what, fold my clothes?
 
Seriously, Apple already makes a small but diverse series of products.  And most of those products -- some would say all -- are best in class.  Last quarter, they sold more iPhones and more iPads than ever before.  Their revenues last quarter were the 4th highest EVER by ANYONE in ANY industry.  And the only 3 above them were all oil companies.  They have the highest market cap in the world.  They are clearly working on some new things, or at least some tweaks on old things.
 
So, I have to ask this question: Why do you think they need to change?  They are arguably the most successful company in the world -- not just tech company, any company.  Their brand recognition is off the charts, everything having to do with the company is off the charts.  Why the hell would anyone want them to start doing stuff with cars or something?  That's not their business.  Let Ford or Ferrari or BMW do that.  You know, auto companies?
post #140 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
 

 

I am a fan of apple.. I got a macbook and iphones since the original one. I love to see them succeed but when people defy logic it annoys and irritates me.

 

to your points. Yes cars, seriously. Almost everyone agrees that regulatory hurdles will drag implementation of the technology (that already exists) further down the road. Almost everyone agrees that we will see a 90%-100% driverless car within 10 years from now. Your example with the F1 car is irrelevant. These cars will drive on the road infrastructure that already exist. Its the technology that google (and others) is building that will allow this. And I bet they would love to lease it to all car manufacturers when the time comes.

 

and robotics. from what I read Google plans to revolutionalize factories. So instead of thousand chinese workers assembling phones at Foxtron, there will be robot factories - possibly in the US- assembling them 24/7. And I get those robots wont be jumping from any buildings either.

 

I totally agree with you on your 2nd to last paragraph about apples success.

 

On your last paragraph you say "Why the hell would anyone want them to start doing stuff with cars or something?  That's not their business.".. well it wasnt their business making phones prior to 2007 and now look what happened. I think you must wrote this without thinking. I dont think you believe that Apple should not venture into other markets. I think they are obliged to. Hell yes I would love to see them make tesla like cars. If not Apple with their powerful resources and the zillions in the bank then who?

post #141 of 220
The driverless cars thing won't happen, except possibly freeways or motorways. It can't work on country roads because civilian GPS isn't accurate enough to know exactly where the car is, nor would any car sensors be able to follow curves in the road or pass temporary obstructions. Simularly in cities the cars have to stop at roadworks, know the one way system, know the daily traffic law changes to legal lane usage, and be uptodate on road closures, diversions and changes to one way systems. They will never be able to judge temporary obstructions either.

The only way driverless cars can work is dedicated lanes guaranteed to have only driverless cars, guaranteed to not have obstructions and roadworks not to change rules ( ie one way streets) and the cars will only be driverless in those lanes. Which is pointless.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #142 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The driverless cars thing won't happen, except possibly freeways or motorways. It can't work on country roads because civilian GPS isn't accurate enough to know exactly where the car is, nor would any car sensors be able to follow curves in the road or pass temporary obstructions. Simularly in cities the cars have to stop at roadworks, know the one way system, know the daily traffic law changes to legal lane usage, and be uptodate on road closures, diversions and changes to one way systems. They will never be able to judge temporary obstructions either.

The only way driverless cars can work is dedicated lanes guaranteed to have only driverless cars, guaranteed to not have obstructions and roadworks not to change rules ( ie one way streets) and the cars will only be driverless in those lanes. Which is pointless.

I bet there where a lot of people in the 1950s that said people would never land on the moon..

post #143 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The driverless cars thing won't happen, except possibly freeways or motorways. It can't work on country roads because civilian GPS isn't accurate enough to know exactly where the car is, nor would any car sensors be able to follow curves in the road or pass temporary obstructions. Simularly in cities the cars have to stop at roadworks, know the one way system, know the daily traffic law changes to legal lane usage, and be uptodate on road closures, diversions and changes to one way systems. They will never be able to judge temporary obstructions either.

The only way driverless cars can work is dedicated lanes guaranteed to have only driverless cars, guaranteed to not have obstructions and roadworks not to change rules ( ie one way streets) and the cars will only be driverless in those lanes. Which is pointless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgQpa1pUUE

 

i dont see any dedicated lanes or any other problems

post #144 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluga View Post

I bet there where a lot of people in the 1950s that said people would never land on the moon..

And there were people in 1970 who thought the war on cancer would be won in 5 years, that we would have colonies on Mars by now, and that all flight would be supersonic. Unless you have actual refutations of my points that's a logical fallacy. Every argument about a particular progress in technology depends on its own merits not on anecdotes with regard to previous pessimism or optimism about past predictions of the future.
Edited by asdasd - 2/8/14 at 2:47am
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #145 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluga View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgQpa1pUUE

i dont see any dedicated lanes or any other problems

You are not answering my points. A video in a controlled environment is not rush hour in London with 4 streets closed off due to a protest, ten roadworks, and changes to the one way system.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #146 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


You are not answering my points. A video in a controlled environment is not rush hour in London with 4 streets closed off due to a protest, ten roadworks, and changes to the one way system.

the video perfectly answers you points.. what controlled environment? there are dozens of videos on youtube with driverless cars on all sorts of conditions and google has stated that they have done millions of miles in them in US roads of all sorts... and this perfectly answers your points..

 

its just a matter of regulatory approval that yes will take time and a matter of perfecting the technology.. telsa is also experimenting with autonomous cars (they call it auto pilot) and they say it is a matter of a few years before we see 90% driverless cars on the road. And to my point this all started with me saying that Apple should go and disrupt other markets. And I surely think the car industry is one of them. And even 90% driverless cars is a revolution and a huge change to society.

post #147 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluga View Post

the video perfectly answers you points.. what controlled environment? there are dozens of videos on youtube with driverless cars on all sorts of conditions and google has stated that they have done millions of miles in them in US roads of all sorts... and this perfectly answers your points..

its just a matter of regulatory approval that yes will take time and a matter of perfecting the technology.. telsa is also experimenting with autonomous cars (they call it auto pilot) and they say it is a matter of a few years before we see 90% driverless cars on the road. And to my point this all started with me saying that Apple should go and disrupt other markets. And I surely think the car industry is one of them. And even 90% driverless cars is a revolution and a huge change to society.

Here is what happened to me in the last year.

1) driving in London. Policeman waves cars over, I am in front and stop, they put down a barrier and errect temporary lights to make the two lane street a one lane street. Explain how the google car would handle this.
2) driving country roads in Ireland, travelling at 50mph I see a sign which has been pretty much turned to face the ditch, in a fraction of a second though I recognise enough colour and shape to assume Men At Work, slow down around the next corner and see a local worker holding a sign ( not lights) for stop and no other barriers. I stop. Cars go by, he gets a message on his phone, turns the sign green, I move onto the right ( i.e. The wrong) side of the road until another guy waves me back a few miles on.

There is no way google will get this right in all cases and since getting it wrong kills people it won't happen.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #148 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

I'm confused.  Why would a person have to decide if it was a new product category?  Like a phone with a bigger screen is still a phone, it's not a new product, but a watch, TV, glasses, car, gaming system whatever is a new product line.  A payment option is not a product category, but if it generates revenue who cares what they call it.
How is a payments system not a new product category? Products aren't just hardware.
post #149 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Here is what happened to me in the last year.

1) driving in London. Policeman waves cars over, I am in front and stop, they put down a barrier and errect temporary lights to make the two lane street a one lane street. Explain how the google car would handle this.
2) driving country roads in Ireland, travelling at 50mph I see a sign which has been pretty much turned to face the ditch, in a fraction of a second though I recognise enough colour and shape to assume Men At Work, slow down around the next corner and see a local worker holding a sign ( not lights) for stop and no other barriers. I stop. Cars go by, he gets a message on his phone, turns the sign green, I move onto the right ( i.e. The wrong) side of the road until another guy waves me back a few miles on.

There is no way google will get this right in all cases and since getting it wrong kills people it won't happen.
Not sure if you've heard, but cars with drivers kill a lot of people too.

There are solutions to the problems you've stated, and no doubt Google is looking to make the system as robust as possible, with a manual drive contingency when there are enough flags of doubt raised by the system.

Brakes fail, we don't ban brakes. Drivers fail, we don't ban drivers. When driverless reaches a point where advantages outweigh disadvantages and enough doubts have been satisfied, it'll be allowed.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #150 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluga View Post

I love to see them succeed but when people defy logic it annoys and irritates me.

Me too. Hence this post.
Quote:
Almost everyone agrees that regulatory hurdles will drag implementation of the technology (that already exists) further down the road. Almost everyone agrees that we will see a 90%-100% driverless car within 10 years from now.

No. It is even unlikely that even the military, which really needs driverless cars will have them in 10 years.
Quote:
Its the technology that google (and others) is building that will allow this. And I bet they would love to lease it to all car manufacturers when the time comes.

It's nice that Google is funding the DARPA grand challenge winner but the innovation award belongs elsewhere. Like DARPA.
Quote:
and robotics. from what I read Google plans to revolutionalize factories. So instead of thousand chinese workers assembling phones at Foxtron, there will be robot factories - possibly in the US- assembling them 24/7. And I get those robots wont be jumping from any buildings either.

Something NeXT was doing in the 80s.

Apple is innovative when driving toward their goals and they are very focused on their objectives.

MS has done more UI and touch research than Apple. They employ some of the biggest guns in multitouch research at MS Research.

Which company was more innovative in multitouch? Apple or MS?

Same for many of Googles initiatives. Instead of just papers they want publicity but how many of them pan out?
post #151 of 220
Flying cars by 2010!!
post #152 of 220
Originally Posted by Beluga View Post
I am a fan of apple.. I got a macbook and iphones since the original one. I love to see them succeed but

 

If you can’t say more than this, don’t say anything at all.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #153 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you can’t say more than this, don’t say anything at all.

Those 'but' stories are always great...

My wife told me she loves me and I'm the best thing that ever happened to her BUT she left me for the mailman.
post #154 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

If you can’t say more than this, don’t say anything at all.

He did say more than that​; you cut it from the quote. :\ 

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #155 of 220
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
He did say more than that​; you cut it from the quote. :\ 

 

If he can’t make his point without a conditional, he can’t make his point.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #156 of 220
He has posted many other times without the "I'm a fan, but". Clearly he can make his point without it, but in that one instance chose to include it. It doesn't invalidate anything.

This "gotcha" criticism of yours is very repetitive and tedious and, to me, far more indicative of not being able to make a constructive point than a few words of irrelevant personal context.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #157 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Not sure if you've heard, but cars with drivers kill a lot of people too.

There are solutions to the problems you've stated, and no doubt Google is looking to make the system as robust as possible, with a manual drive contingency when there are enough flags of doubt raised by the system.

That's not a driverless car, is it? 'Manual drive contingency' already exists; some cars pretty much drive themselves on motorways with cruise control, lane detection etc. but you still need a driver.

Imagine being in three lanes of stationary traffic with cars all over the place. An ambulance is tying to cut through the traffic. Cars are reversing, mounting pavements to create room.

When a driverless car is capable of quickly and safely handling this situation, then it might be approaching usability.

Just think of the variables!
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #158 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

MS has done more UI and touch research than Apple. 
 

You know this ... how?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Same for many of Googles initiatives. Instead of just papers they want publicity but how many of them pan out?
 

By their own admission, many Apple initiatives also don't work out. The difference between them and Google is secrecy. Just because a company chooses to be open doesn't make them a seeker of PR. And you do not have any idea which companies have brought more initiatives to successful products, which by the way is the sole measure of innovation.

post #159 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


When a driverless car is capable of quickly and safely handling this situation, then it might be approaching usability.
 

 

Autonomous vehicles are capable of changing much much more than that. Traffic will improve. Fewer accidents. Mileage will improve. Fewer people will get lost. Many will reach their destinations faster. Taxi drivers will lose their jobs. More morons will chime in on Appleinsider more frequently while en route from corner store back to mom's basement. Porn sites will do more business. Condom sales may go up. Or more babies will be conceived. Radio talk show hosts will be more popular. More photos of cars and passengers will be uploaded onto Instagram.

post #160 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

He has posted many other times without the "I'm a fan, but". Clearly he can make his point without it, but in that one instance chose to include it. It doesn't invalidate anything.

This "gotcha" criticism of yours is very repetitive and tedious and, to me, far more indicative of not being able to make a constructive point than a few words of irrelevant personal context.

Gotcha is the name of the game here. Accept it or be gotten.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Cook says Apple to enter 'new categories' with upcoming devices